• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Fifth Generation Awards

And this is why we won't have a Chrono sequel.

N64 was one of the Nintendo's most creative eras.

Terrible 3rd party support, but two GOATs for many.

The are a lot of classics from Nintendo at that time but some games weren't the best in is genre and it seems that they come from the most hardcore Nintendo fans. But it's ok, is just a list.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Banjo kazooie is objectively one of the worst games ever but it's in the top 10 and I'm not being this much of a turd about it
I'd like to invite you to come over to experience a load of games (of the same genre) that are so blatantly obviously worse games than B-K that even a blind hater like you would have to see this. I'm talking the tier that games like Sonic 2006, Spyro the Dragon, Sonic & the Black Knight, Pocahontas for Game Boy.

I'd like to invite you to come over to experience a load of games (of the same genre) that are so blatantly obviously worse games than B-K that even a blind hater like you would have to see this. I'm talking the tier that games like Sonic 2006, Spyro the Dragon, Sonic & the Black Knight, Pocahontas for Game Boy.

Uhh. Sounds like you really haven't played any bad games either.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It definitely was my favourite but Banjo Kazooie being as high as it is is kind of bizarre.

I mean, it's a wonderful game but many fantastic games got beaten by it.

Rightfully so, considering Banjo-Kazooie is one of the best games ever made and certainly occupies a safe spot on the list of "fantastic games". I'd say it's a bit low on the list, but, well, not everyone likes the genre.

Uhh. Sounds like you really haven't played any bad games either.
I had to stick to the genre, I have played worse than Sonic 06 and Spyro, for instance Tenkai Knights last year (for a review), but sticking to 3D platformers, those are the first examples of lower-than-average games that come to mind for me.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Ocarina of Time, followed by Super Mario 64, followed by MGS?

It's the truth, and I approve it.

Personally, I might have put Half Life and Banjo Kazooie higher. Especially Half Life needs to be at least in the top 10.

I didn't say it was the worst game

I said one of the worst

If it was a mother base employee it'd be an E rank. Only good for taking up space until literally anything else came by.

Also talk mess about spyro again I fokn dare you m8

OoT stiil the goat

One of these days I hope to experience what the fuzz is about. I have started the game like 4 times between different versions (64, GC, 3DS) and I just can't get into it. It's not like I hate the Zelda formula, I really like Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Alundra for example. And it's not about nostalgia factor either since I did try it out when it was fresh but there was just nothing for me when I got a chance to sit down with N64 compared to Mario 64 for example or hell, Mario Party.

I just need to force myself to play it entire way through someday. I think the furthest I have gotten is after the mountain dungeon or something.

Celine

Of all the games that I think are wrong in that list (from Nintendo), B.K. is not one of them, it's even better than Mario 64.
If I need to pick a Nintendo game not deserving to be in the Top 25 (IMO) I would choose MK64.
It's not even the best racing game Nintendo released that gen.

When I think Sega arcade racing games classics like Sega Rally and Daytona USA got cold feet...

EDIT:
I'm also wondering how many who voted a game, played said game again in the last 5 or at least 10 past years...

Wazzy

Banned
Rightfully so, considering Banjo-Kazooie is one of the best games ever made and certainly occupies a safe spot on the list of "fantastic games". I'd say it's a bit low on the list, but, well, not everyone likes the genre.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying BK doesn't deserve to place in top 20 but just that I don't think it's top 10 material either.

We're talking about it beating out Paper Mario, Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy VIII, Xenogears and Suikoden II.

To be fair to it, It's a little difficult to say something like that when what I just listed are all completely different style of games.

I had to stick to the genre, I have played worse than Sonic 06 and Spyro, for instance Tenkai Knights last year (for a review), but sticking to 3D platformers, those are the first examples of lower-than-average games that come to mind for me.

I get what you're saying, but there's plenty worse out there. Bubsy? Blasto? Rascal? Gotta keep things in perspective, haha.

Gartooth

Wish I would've taken the time to vote, if I did then I think B-K would've beaten FF9. :p

Also since this generation was a huge landmark for 3D gaming, it isn't too surprising that a lot of the best games from that era haven't aged that well. I think they still deserve recognition though since they pushed their respective genres forward, so the likes of GoldenEye, FF7, MGS, etc. definitely earned their places on this list.

huehue people always get salty over some entries with a particular dev

never change, GAF

I can't help it. Even if I don't like OOT I can respect it. What I cannot respect is Mario Kart 64 so far above Crash Team Racing. That is like saying pineapple doesn't belong on pizza or something. Tearing my hair off here.

People enjoyed the games at the time, when they played them first. I don't think the point was to vote only those games you'd enjoy today. Outside of RE2, UT and Soul Reaver, I haven't played any of the games I voted in several years, and I don't think I'd enjoy something like Tomb Raider, which was also on my list, as much now as I did back then.
I played Tomb Raider 1 and 2 for the first time this year and they're both amazing games. The feeling of isolation and exploration is fantastic.

I'm 25 so I feel bad I didn't play it when they first came out when it must have been even more mind blowing.

Wazzy

Banned
I can't help it. Even if I don't like OOT I can respect it. What I cannot respect is Mario Kart 64 so far above Crash Team Racing. That is like saying pineapple doesn't belong on pizza or something. Tearing my hair off here.

It's kind of difficult to say something like that when Mario Kart 64 was the biggest racer at the time. CTR does many things better but it was after MK64 which gathered a huge fan base for the series.

Chrono Cross so low? I thought this game was a GAF darling?

CC is actually pretty controversial. Many Chrono fans are divided on the game but generally acknowledge it has one of the best OST's. I personally love it and think it deserves top 25 but oh well.

Eolz

CTR wouldn't exist without MK64. It should be easier for you to accept their ranking now.

I find it odd that there are so many N64 games on the list. While the game had half a dozen REALLY fantastic games, nearly everything else the system had was pretty mediocre. Even some of their "highlight" games of that era were pretty bad. Mario Kart 64 was a mess with a crap frame rate and crap course design.

The lack of PC and arcade is disheartening but understanding. I guess I shouldn't complain too much since I didn't bother to vote.

I thought Pokemon Red/Blue didn't qualify with the posted rules? That's why I didn't vote for them.

Also, no Half Life in the top 10 is bizarre. Did people not realize they could vote for PC games?

PsionBolt

My takeaway from these results: more people need to play the Mega Man Legends series.

I mean, I already knew that, but it's never bad to have data backing up common sense.

Melchiah

I played Tomb Raider 1 and 2 for the first time this year and they're both amazing games. The feeling of isolation and exploration is fantastic.

I'm 25 so I feel bad I didn't play it when they first came out when it must have been even more mind blowing.

Tomb Raider was pretty mind-blowing back in 1998, when I played it. It was the first relatively open 3D game I played. The possibility to save wherever you wanted made the sequel less frustrating to play though. At least that's how I remember it. The sparse checkpoints of the first pissed me off back in the day, especially in the later levels, and I think it would feel worse today.

I replayed Soul Reaver on the PS3 few years ago, and in some regards it hadn't aged that well. Particularly the infuriating ingame camera, that made the platforming even more annoying than I remembered. Unfortunately, I got stuck within a wall just before the fight against Zephon, and I didn't feel like continuing from the last checkpoint, which was further away from where I was. I think sometimes it's best to not return to the old favorites.

Blobbers

Damn, I forgot to vote. I see no transgressions on the list, except Final Fantasy VIII even being in the Top 10.000 games of Gen 5.

jett

D-Member
Yeah, i mean i played MGS1 the other day and although the pace was brisk and i had fun, if it wasn't for nostalgia i would never have gotten to the end.
The gameplay is utter shit.

This is definitely the worst-playing generation and is the hardest to come back to, since the Atari days anyway.

Megatron

My takeaway from these results: more people need to play the Mega Man Legends series.

I mean, I already knew that, but it's never bad to have data backing up common sense.

Playing them now wouldn't be good for anybody until Capcom re-releases them with updated controls.

This is definitely the worst-playing generation and is the hardest to come back to, since the Atari days anyway.

Its definitely the generation I return to the least. A weird transition period between 2D and 3D, still figuring stuff out they would go on to improve on in the next generation. Favorite games from this gen tend to be 2D, like SotN, Strider 2, Metal Slug X, etc.

This is a fantastic list. I could nitpick the order and complain about some of my favorites not making the cut, but I'm genuinely surprised at how many of my favorite games were mentioned.

Crayolan

The speculation (and excitement around it) were real, even if some rumors were true and others weren't. It's precisely because you could use the Missingo trick to get infinite items that people thought Mew could be found under a truck.

RBG had a bit of mystery around them since Pokemon was brand new. It was just before internet culture became mainstream, so a lot of these things still went by word of mouth. Yellow is great because of how closely it matched with the show. Of course GSC have more features/content, but the experience was just not as impactful as Gen 1

Not to mention that RBGY still has the best gym leader and elite 4 themes and overall most iconic music in the series.

I understand where you're coming from but I feel like this could just be applied to whatever someone's first game they played in the series was, so long as that game was played before the internet ruined "schoolyard secrets."

Also gen 1 had no unique Elite 4 theme. Neither did gen 2 for that matter.

Majora's Mask has to be the most overrated game of the 5th gen if you ask me. I thought it was pretty mediocre for a Zelda offering ... but pretty much most of the Zelda's post OOT have been mediocre compared to OOT. The handheld ones have been pretty strong though.

FFIX also. So many better RPG's in the 5th gen that that one. Suikoden 2, Star Ocean 2, Lunar, etc. I would put WAY over FFIX.

Pretty expected list. No real surprises except titles making the Top 10 really on name recognition alone. So many better titles existed in Gen 5, a truckload, that deserved spots. Some of the greatest games of gen 5 like Twisted Metal 2 and Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 didn't even make the Top 25. And genre creating titles like Parappa the Rapper not even touching the Top 25 either.

Pretty dissappointing when you really think about it.

But hey, opinions and all that.

gelf

Wow, Panzer Dragoon Saga barely made the list, would've been so unfair if it was left out.

I'm happy any Saturn game made the list at all. So few people in west bought one so most have missed out on a lot of Sega classics this gen. Nice to see at least one get recognition.

I'm happy any Saturn game made the list at all. So few people in west bought one so most have missed out on a lot of Sega classics this gen. Nice to see at least one get recognition.

Yeah games like Dragon Force, Burning Rangers, Virtua On, Radiant Silvergun, Panzar Dragoon, Guardian Heroes, Nights, Sega Rally, etc. are ones any gamer needed to experience atleast once.

Majora's Mask has to be the most overrated game of the 5th gen if you ask me. I thought it was pretty mediocre for a Zelda offering ... but pretty much most of the Zelda's post OOT have been mediocre compared to OOT. The handheld ones have been pretty strong though.

FFIX also. So many better RPG's in the 5th gen that that one. Suikoden 2, Star Ocean 2, Lunar, etc. I would put WAY over FFIX.

Pretty expected list. No real surprises except titles making the Top 10 really on name recognition alone. So many better titles existed in Gen 5, a truckload, that deserved spots. Some of the greatest games of gen 5 like Twisted Metal 2 and Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 didn't even make the Top 25. And genre creating titles like Parappa the Rapper not even touching the Top 25 either.

Pretty dissappointing when you really think about it.

But hey, opinions and all that.

giphy.gif

Not everyone will be happy. It's not perfect, but I think it is a good overview of the more impactful titles of this generation.

Top Bottom