• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2010 Awards

Amir0x

Banned
Alan Wake was the literal reason I originally purchased a 360. What a fucking disappointment that was

you won't trick me again, Remedy

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Amir0x said:
Alan Wake was the literal reason I originally purchased a 360. What a fucking disappointment that was

you won't trick me again, Remedy

Given Remedy's track record what kind of game were you expecting?

BowieZ

Banned
:D @ SMG2 (GAF's HIGHEST QUALITY GAME OF 2010)

and YAY at DKCR being a mere 3 points off the Top Ten :lol

and woot at my DKCR review being quoted!

good work Crystal Dynamics on getting Lara Croft into the Top 20. :)

EPIC job guys! Naturally, the fact that GAF is vocally pissed off with its own god-damn results means they must be an accurate reflection of the overall consensus.

Amir0x

Banned
jetjevons said:
Given Remedy's track record what kind of game where you expecting?

I like Max Payne 2 a lot! I really did! Flying in bullet time...

But Alan Wake was wow. I honestly couldn't find much of anything to like. Every level felt the same, the gameplay was sub-par, the story was...yeah. Really bad. Just on every level it had questionable design. I was wondering if this was a symptom of the protracted development, dropped PC version, the change from open world to linear. But all i know is the end result is a sloppy game from start to finish.

jetjevons said:
I thought Heavy Rain was a bold step in the right direction for making adventure games relevant again (awful story twist notwithstanding).

And did you really not like Limbo? Or it just wasn't as good in relation to SMB?

Nah, I thought LIMBO was ok - just ok - but had real fundamental problems with the trial and error gameplay. That is to say, it is made up in large part in traps and obstacles you literally cannot know are coming the first time you go through, and thus have to use subsequent lives and your newly gained knowledge of where the arbitrary traps are placed to progress.

I beat it but it wouldn't make my lists personally.

Heavy Rain, however, is actually infuriatingly bad to me. I wrote my review for it here and if you're ever interested you can pop up and give it a run down. I break it down pretty well why I had issues with it.

To summarize, it's a game with only story to go for it. And the story is a broken, indecipherable mess at every turn.

zoku88

1 game I voted for made it in the top 25: DQIX

I cant' believe ppl preferred FFXIII to it.

Got this for similarity

I sorta know KuwabaraTheMan, Hazaro and Link, a little bit. No idea who the others are. :lol

Wow, other people's similarity scores are like a factor of 5 higher than mine :lol

timetokill said:
As a reminder, please let us know what you liked about this year's results and stats and what you'd like to see next year. Thanks again GAF!

Most divisive/most discussed game of the year ?

Heavy Rain wins again thanks to Amir0x !

Acheteedo

Ugh, it seems I let the vocal minority convince me that GAF was completely insane. Lesson firmly learned. Number 1 is absolutely the right choice. Bravo everyone :D

Carlisle

I didn't vote this year, but I made my would-have-been entries in the data file just to see how I stack up against the rest of GAF.

Code:
Users with similar selection to Carlisle:
1. SaitoH ( 105) [ http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416386&page=17#849 ]
2. ZeroRay ( 104) [ http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416386&page=3#110 ]
3. Feindflug (  91) [ http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416386&page=10#499 ]
4. brandonh83 (  90) [ http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416386&page=3#123 ]
5. Ledsen (  90) [ http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416386&page=10#465 ]

Total similarity score: 29032

Amir0x said:
Heavy Rain, however, is actually infuriatingly bad to me. I wrote my review for it here and if you're ever interested you can pop up and give it a run down. I break it down pretty well why I had issues with it.

To summarize, it's a game with only story to go for it. And the story is a broken, indecipherable mess at every turn.

Man, I didn't like Heavy Rain much either, but that's just a level above. :lol

I have to salute the searing criticism!

brentech

The "similarity sheet" is pure awesome. Wasn't expecting that at all.

Also proud to be a review line for GT5 <3
Some people soured on it way to easily. It has its faults, but by in large, it's wonderful.

Durante

By the way, the similarity function is not commutative, so don't be surprised if you have someone in your top 10 and he has you in his with a different score (or not at all).

Amir0x

Banned
jetjevons said:
This we can agree on.

It's not like I'm adverse to the IDEA of it all. I think gaming can be an interesting format for telling stories.

That's why I'm going to pick up 999 and give another game another shot at woo-ing me in terms of story. Will this be "the one"? Stay tuned to the NeoGAF review thread to see :D

Volcynika

Amir0x said:
It's not like I'm adverse to the IDEA of it all. I think gaming can be an interesting format for telling stories.

That's why I'm going to pick up 999 and give another game another shot at woo-ing me in terms of story. Will this be "the one"? Stay tuned to the NeoGAF review thread to see :D

Amir0x coming to the 999 thread will either be good or bad :p

:lol

Amir0x said:

I hope you like it. I'd hate for you to be wrong. :D

Corto

Amir0x said:

Poor 999! It doesn't have a chance...

AniHawk

Amir0x said:

Hey man, I warned you.

I personally only picked it up because people were saying good things about it and it had just become incredibly hard to find (in stores and online). So while I was expecting good things, I wasn't expecting insane hypestuff. Don't go in expecting the insane hypestuff. Part of why I liked it so much, especially at the end, is my own personal experience with the game that I doubt almost anyone else who had played the game would have realized (which is different from what I mentioned in that earlier post).

Amir0x said:

Seriously dude, there's absolutely NO WAY you'll like it.

Volcynika said:
Amir0x coming to the 999 thread will either be good or bad :p

:lol

Yeah, and this is what I'm afraid of when I finally resume my playthrough :/

Amir0x

Banned
damn you guys sure have a lot of confidence in the things you love shiiiit :lol

if it's a genuinely good story, i will like it.

Amir0x said:

Oh man, you should have paid heed to the warnings.

And we're on for a long read when your review comes in...

(Please throw some escape puzzles in it !)

AniHawk

timetokill said:

I think it's one of the better translations I've read, but uh, well that's partly because of my line of work. As for the story itself, it's not so much the actual writing that blew me away (although like I said, I liked it), it was the design aspect: the part that made it a game (whatever little of it there was).

I guess we'll be talking about this later. :\

Prine

Banned
I didnt vote but my fav of last year were ME2, Reach and Heavy Rain!

GAF agrees with me....and props to the mighty Shepherd!!!

Amir0x said:

There's a difference between having confidence in something and trying to please someone with contradictory tastes and insane standards. I'm honestly surprised you're even giving it a passing glance with its art style.

Good luck I guess. Try not to rage too much in the OT (or at least keep it to 1 post). I am kind of curious to know what you think.

Amir0x

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
There's a difference between having confidence in something and trying to please someone with contradictory tastes and insane standards. I'm honestly surprised you're even giving it a pacing glance with its art style.

my tastes and standards are pretty non contradictory. But I do have high standards!

Yeah, actually, the reason I didn't get 999 is because it looked like bog standard animu fare. But it's been getting a lot of play from GAF in the "it tells a remarkably good story" type of way, and I'm always intrigued by that simple lure. It makes me want to say "I'll be the judge of that"! :lol

Sidzed2

Amir0x said:

See, the thing about Heavy Rain is that I just admire so much of what it is trying to do that I squint my eyes and literally ignore all of its faults. Because I'm at work and I'm exhausted, here are the things which elevated Heavy Rain to one of my favourites of the year, flaws notwithstanding:

- it emphasised story;

- it boasted a convincing atmosphere of dread;

- it's visuals were often amazing and compelling;

- it does what so very few games do and told a story about people in relatively mundane situations. I like the real-world focus in an industry where every game has to be themed sci fi / fantasy / military. For example, I liked that one of the levels saw me escaping from a police station, or going to club to question someone, or the like. There wasn't an energy sword or health potion to be found, and for that I was grateful;

- I enjoyed the actual experience of 'interacting' with the game until the very end. I think it could be the first indication that these sort of 'interactive cinematic games' might actually work. Now if only someone could pen a solid script to go along with it!

Do we have info on how the top regions this year stacked up against last year? Seems to be a strong shift towards western games, no?

Regional Vote Distribution
North America: 34.82% (2766)
Europe: 20.91% (1661)
Asia: 26.41% (2099)
Australia: 0.24% (19)

Also, scores for a few of my more obscure favorites:

35. Sin and Punishment 2: Star Successor 122
109. Espgaluda II: Black Label 15
110. Dodonpachi Resurrection 15
121. Patchwork Heroes 13

Shame that not enough people played Sin and Punishment 2 and Vanquish to put them in the top 10, seriously faves of the generation for me.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Re: 999
The actual writing quality fluctuates between bad and great, and so its the bad parts that will make you roll your eyes and rage. But the actual construction of the story itself, if you're willing to accept some presentation issues, is great. (more: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25213987&postcount=426)

I await Amir0x impressions with trepidation. If the plot-holes in Heavy Rain made you angry, rest assured at least that all of the seeming plot holes are actually answered logically given time, and most of the eye-rolling behavior makes sense at the end. That's one of its great strengths

Amir0x said:
my tastes and standards are pretty non contradictory. But I do have high standards!

Yeah, actually, the reason I didn't get 999 is because it looked like bog standard animu fare. But it's been getting a lot of play from GAF in the "it tells a remarkably good story" type of way, and I'm always intrigued by that simple lure. It makes me want to say "I'll be the judge of that"! :lol
Oh yeah, it is not standard Animu fair. Hehe, definitely not.

Amir0x

Banned
Surprised Picross 3D is so high. I love me some Picross but heard middling things about Picross 3D. Maybe I should try it out

zlatko

Banned
:D Got quoted for the SSF4 spot woot.

The results are pretty solid. Still wish SC2 had gotten higher up there, and it probably would have if GAF WOULD BUY A GAMING PC! GAHL!

AniHawk

adversesolutions said:
See, the thing about Heavy Rain is that I just admire so much of what it is trying to do that I squint my eyes and literally ignore all of its faults. Because I'm at work and I'm exhausted, here are the things which elevated Heavy Rain to one of my favourites of the year, flaws notwithstanding:

- it emphasised story;

- it boasted a convincing atmosphere of dread;

- it's visuals were often amazing and compelling;

- it does what so very few games do and told a story about people in relatively mundane situations. I like the real-world focus in an industry where every game has to be themed sci fi / fantasy / military. For example, I liked that one of the levels saw me escaping from a police station, or going to club to question someone, or the like. There wasn't an energy sword or health potion to be found, and for that I was grateful;

- I enjoyed the actual experience of 'interacting' with the game until the very end. I think it could be the first indication that these sort of 'interactive cinematic games' might actually work. Now if only someone could pen a solid script to go along with it!

My problem with the approach to the design of Heavy Rain is that it seemed to be thought up as "choose-your-own-adventure book meets Hollywood movie!"

The only thing that actually takes advantage of the fact that it's an interactive medium is the fact that you're placed in tense situations with clear good and bad consequences, but the same thing could have been done in a choose-your-own-adventure book. The little I played of Shattered Memories had a similar, yet better idea with its "the game is watching you" thing. That's something that's completely unique to video games.

Keikoku said:
I don't know how to use it... when I open it with ruby it just opens a DOS window for like a second then nothing.

There is a text file that contains the results of all of the participants. You just need to search for your name.

Top Bottom