• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2013 Awards

jorma

is now taking requests
Nor is EU IV :(

Edit: Oh, it's a runner-up for best strategy. It deserves so much more.

It seems to be a contender for the "best game no one played"-award when you consider how high it placed in the "high quality" section.

Usobuko

Banned
High Quality Award
The top 20 games with at least 10 appearances, ranked by Average Points per Appearance
01. The Last of Us (3.29)
02. Dota 2 (3.11)
03. Europa Universalis IV (2.80)
04. Super Mario 3D World (2.74)
05. Persona 4 Golden (2.59)
06. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (2.56)
07. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (2.55)
08. Fire Emblem Awakening (2.54)
09. Grand Theft Auto V (2.53)
10. The Wonderful 101 (2.51)
11. Shin Megami Tensei IV (2.41)
12. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (2.41)
13. Path of Exile (2.38)
14. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (2.36)
15. Final Fantasy IV: A Realm Reborn (2.33)
16. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (2.32)
17. Rocksmith 2014 (2.31)
18. Toki Tori 2 (2.30)
19. BioShock Infinite (2.29)
20. Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan (2.24)

This one is more interesting.

NastyBook

No Puppeteer or Dragon's Crown mentions make me sad, otherwise nice list.
I didn't vote in this year's awards, but even if I did, I wouldn't have been to able to put these two games up on my list simply because I haven't even played them yet. They're still on my backlog.

But yeah, tihs is a rather well rounded list here.

Milennia

Let it be known i voted for dragons crown (not as my number one, but it was in my top 10 lol) :D i was actually expecting it to make some sort of appearence, but alas.

I have played 85% of the top 10 and agree with all of them.

Bumhead

Banned
I've only played 6 of this years Top 20 and still feel like it's been a very good year for gaming.

Good list overall.

I'm really glad the silent majority won out over the vocal minority backlash on Bioshock Infinite. I think it's a fantastic game, and this is a well-deserved finish.

Cyrano

Much like me bitching about Metal Gear Solid 4 making No.1 on GAF's 2008 GOTY list, and then in the revote, the proof is in the numbers. No matter how matter how vocal I am, and no matter how many posts I make dissecting its awfulness, it was clearly awesome and important and wonderful for a whole lot of people on NeoGAF. Just like, for this year, The Last of Us, BioShock Infinite, and Nintendo were.
Though it will surely be a unique irony when they can't remember the game at the end of next year. Or go back and play it again and discover that it's actually pretty awful. I feel like rose-colored glasses is part and parcel of GAF culture. That and superbly short memory, apparently.

Great effort guys, we'll done. I didn't vote in the end for a number of reasons (mainly that I'm still catching up on major 2013 releases), but I'll take a proper look at this tomorrow at work, rather than reading through on my phone.

Cyrano

With BI it already started, but I doubt that'll happen with TLOU. Game has help up extremely well against criticism, whereas MGS4 crumbled fairly quickly.
Maybe, but I already don't remember a ton about The Last of Us. I remember the main characters and some of the main beats, but nothing about it really stuck out. The Last of Us is probably the best cutscene-game ever created, which is both part of its success and its failure.

Mr. RHC

Give a hugh brotha!

lol

tumblr_meyv7bAdsb1rcso6uo1_500.gif

Geez, I don't recognise any of these dudes apart from Prince Vultan (because no one forgets a Brian Blessed avatar). Either my memory is getting even worse or there's a whole lot of juniors in my user affinity list.

Recommended list...

1. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][NWU][PC] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Adventure) = 7 points - Nah, massive AssCreed fatigue right now.
2. [PS3][PSV][PC] Hotline Miami (Action) = 7 points - Played it, very good. Any other year it probably would've been in my top ten.
3. [NWU] Super Mario 3D World (Platform) = 6 points, 1 honorable mention - No. Sick of the sight of Mario.
4. [360][PS3] Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (Adventure) = 5 points - Well, I have it courtesy of PS+, but I've not yet played it.
5. [360][PS3][PC] Tomb Raider (Adventure) = 4 points, 2 honorable mentions - Great combat, average everything else apart from the story and cast, which was godawful.
6. [360][PS3] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Action) = 4 points, 2 honorable mentions - FUCK NO! Hated that game.
7. [PS4] Knack (Platform) = 4 points - LMAO!
8. [360][PS3][PC] Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (Adventure) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention - Played it, it was crap.
9. [NWU] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Adventure) = 3 points - Not too hot on Zelda, but this does look good. I'd check it out if I had a Wii U.
10. [PS3] Gran Turismo 6 (Racing) = 3 points - Don't dig racing sims, so no.

vall03

I feel like I have some weird taste in gaming now, but its kinda expected that my choices will never rank that high.

Also, a bit suprised that I'm only familiar with one person in my affinity list which is ohlawd, was expecting Mauricio_Magus but our list didn't overlap that much outside of a few games.

1. ohlawd (100)
1. Yuterald (100)
3. kuroneko0509 (99)
4. Prinny (91)
5. btkadams (82)
6. Thoraxes (81)
7. Fine Ham Abounds
8. Crash55118 (78)
9. NFreak (75)
9. robotrock (75)

Theres also this stat for me

10% Microsoft, 50% Nintendo, 10% PC, 30% Sony

I really have no console and platform preference, but I guess its because majority of the games I played are mostly on the 3DS last year. I'm curious how this will look this year since the games I want are so spread out on different platforms, add also that its very unlikely any game on a Microsoft console will enter my 2014 GOTY list. Also find it funny that the 360 exclusive of the year is Dodonpachi Saidaioujou lol

Then another thing, theres barely any games I want to play in the recommendations list. :(

High Quality Award
The top 20 games with at least 10 appearances, ranked by Average Points per Appearance
02. Dota 2 (3.11)
13. Path of Exile (2.38)
18. Toki Tori 2 (2.30)

I like this list more than the overall top 20. I find it interesting to see Bioshock so low at 2.29 while being second. Seems Bioshock is the game that everybody voted for, but garnering praise in the lower regions, seeing it edging out GTAV at the number 2 spot in the overall list. I wonder if the list would be different if we are only allowed to vote 5 games.

Shengar

I wrote stuff about it. Lots of stuff. I thought it was one of the most inelegantly-designed games I'd played all year with an inefficient and half-baked battle system, repetitive sidequests, repetitive game design, a last act that feels like a direct-to-DVD movie, terrible pacing, horrible AI, spoonfed answers, an inadequate monster-capture system, and it ends up giving you mechanics 12-20 hours into the game when you could have used it hours earlier.

HAHAHAHAHA
I don't have the slightest, fucking idea why they introduce All Attack/All Defend command after that particular fight with the fucking genie. I dropped Ni No Kuni not long after that out of rage.

The funny thing is, if this list was posted by IGN or some other major site, most of the people on here would probably shit all over it and praise how GAF's taste is a lot better :p

Nice list in general, though!

Haunted

1. Zia (99)
2. Mazzo (94)
3. SteveWinwood (93)
4. The Technomancer (87)
5. Atilac (85)
5. Wok (85)
Madams and Sirs, you are all right. Cheers to new friends Mazzo and Atilac, which are the two I don't recognise on that affinity list, and cheers to Wok and Technomancer, who I know as GAF posters.

1msqZ1k.gif

And Zia and Steve:

best_friends_forever_2.gif_480_480_0_64000_0_1_0.gif

Des0lar

will learn eventually
High Quality Award
02. Dota 2 (3.11)
13. Path of Exile (2.38)
18. Toki Tori 2 (2.30)

I like this list more than the overall top 20.

Yes, GO DOTA 2. Proud of Valve to get so many people here rallying for a PC only game that's notoriously difficult and unforgiving!

Riposte

I skipped EUIV for Wargame: AirLand Battle, to keep things fresh. If I had the time to play A Link Between Worlds and then some, it would have played it.

All of those are merely decent games bar Dishonored, which in my opinion was garbage.

What are your thoughts on Crusader Kings II, Akai Katana Shin, and Skullgirls?

High Quality Award
02. Dota 2 (3.11)
13. Path of Exile (2.38)
18. Toki Tori 2 (2.30)

I like this list more than the overall top 20.
It seems very slanted towards games with a vocal community on GAF

Cheech

Considering the backlash after AssCreed3, it's surprising to see it back so high, guess it must be pretty good.

AC3 was like a beta for AC4. It was just a much better execution on those concepts. Well worth playing. If you hate the AC story, just pretend you're picking up a kick ass pirate adventure.

MRORANGE

Nice, I love how Bioshock can't catch a break, it came 2nd in the Steam Neogaf GOTY as well :lol

1 | Rogue Legacy ( 137 Points / 3.512820513 APS )
2 | Bioshock Infinite ( 137 Points / 3.341463415 APS )
3 | Spelunky ( 111 Points / 3.171428571 APS )
4 | Sonic & All-Star Racing Transformed ( 95 Points / 2.878787879 APS )
5 | Papers, Please ( 81 Points / 3.115384615 APS )
6 | DOTA 2 ( 78 Points / 4.333333333 APS )
7 | Fez ( 73 Points / 3.65 APS )
8 | Saints Row IV ( 61 Points / 3.388888889 APS )
9 | Gone Home ( 57 Points / 2.85 APS )
10 | Starbound  ( 51 Points / 3.642857143 APS )
11 | Dust: An Elysian Tail ( 51 Points / 2.684210526 APS )
12 | Tomb Raider ( 51 Points / 2.428571429 APS )
13 | Path of Exile ( 50 Points / 3.125 APS )
14 | The Swapper ( 49 Points / 3.266666667 APS )
15 | The Stanley Parable ( 48 Points / 2.666666667 APS )
16 | Skullgirls ( 41 Points / 2.411764706 APS )
17 | System Shock 2 ( 40 Points / 3.636363636 APS )
18 | Gunpoint ( 40 Points / 2.666666667 APS )
19 | Euro Truck Simulator 2 ( 39 Points / 3.25 APS )
20 | Volgarr the Viking ( 36 Points / 3.6 APS )

Sloane

Banned
Seal of Quality Award
The top 10 publishers for the year, based on total number of points for all their titles.

01. Nintendo = 4471 points, 200 honorable mentions, 31 titles
02. Sony = 3630 points, 127 honorable mentions, 19 titles
03. 2K = 1237 points, 48 honorable mentions, 7 titles
04. Rockstar = 1058 points, 38 honorable mentions, 1 title
05. Ubisoft = 1009 points, 72 honorable mentions, 13 titles
06. Capcom = 841 points, 62 honorable mentions, 12 titles
07. Square-Enix = 729 points, 56 honorable mentions, 9 titles
08. Konami = 604 points, 22 honorable mentions, 3 titles
09. Atlus = 540 points, 34 honorable mentions, 6 titles
10. Namco-Bandai = 451 points, 28 honorable mentions, 12 titles
Poor Microsoft. :(

Also, pretty funny how Nintendo is #1.

demidar

I feel like I have some weird taste in gaming now, but its kinda expected that my choices will never rank that high.

Also, a bit suprised that I'm only familiar with one person in my affinity list which is ohlawd, was expecting Mauricio_Magus but our list didn't overlap that much outside of a few games.

Theres also this stat for me

I really have no console and platform preference, but I guess its because majority of the games I played are mostly on the 3DS last year. I'm curious how this will look this year since the games I want are so spread out on different platforms, add also that its very unlikely any game on a Microsoft console will enter my 2014 GOTY list. Also find it funny that the 360 exclusive of the year is Dodonpachi Saidaioujou lol

Then another thing, theres barely any games I want to play in the recommendations list. :(

It's nice to know affinity but it has no impact on who I interact with usually. I enter JRPG and action game threads and OTs, but never post in a Dota 2 thread despite it being my number one.

I have some presence in the Giant Bomb thread and affinity doesn't factor in there.

TLoU is a very deserving winner. Nicely done, GAF. Hey everybody, play FE: Awakening.

WTF GTA5 lose to Bioshock?! GAF has failed...

Bioshock Infinite has way wose story and gameplay, and worse graphic too.

Bioshock Infinite is 2013's MSG4.
Agreed, I don't understand what people see in Metal Sear Golid 4.

It seems very slanted towards games with a vocal community on GAF

The list would be different if it was:
''The top 20 games with at least 30 appearances, ranked by Average Points per Appearance'' instead of 10.

But I can only see that being true for Europe Universalis and Persona in the top 10.

vall03

Whenever I see 3DS games getting that many votes and their voters not mentioning SMTIV, it kind of makes me sad.

I was expecting more people to play SMTIV too, but I think the eShop promotion kinda backfired a bit. In my country, just a week after its release, I already saw several people selling their copies after getting the CN code. Heck, there was even one who totally didn't touch the game at all, just bought it, registered the CN code and sold it the day he purchased it. I'm sure many people did the same thing too.

It's nice to know affinity but it has no impact on who I interact with usually. I enter JRPG and action game threads and OTs, but never post in a Dota 2 thread despite it being my number one.

I have some presence in the Giant Bomb thread and affinity doesn't factor in there.

Well, I'm kinda aware of that, its just that there are these few people I always see posting on the same games that I was playing so I expected them to pop up. I generally post on OTs too.

Cyrano

That's totally fine, but whether that is merely your situation or something that's happening more and more often is up for debate. You rarely see such a dominating victory on both GAF and general media, so it at least did something right for such a large amount of people. Of course this is all just personal opinion, but I believe that TLOU did too much right to be forgotten so easily (and I'm not one of the "TLOU is the second coming of Christ" part of GAF either. I also don't really view cinematic games as inherently inferior and find that the specific classifications we set on the term "Game" and the limitations we wish to set on them to be unnecessary.

But whether TLOU will be forgotten shortly is a question that'll answer itself eventually. I myself doubt it'll happen as you say (Even UC2 and general ND praise is common to see these days), but I could be wrong of course. Not that it truly matters to the individual anyway.
Well, that is kind of an interesting thing. For a lot of media outlets this year, it actually wasn't their Game of the Year. Gone Home and Papers, Please took some of those spots, as well as lots of other games. In a certain way The Last of Us signals what may be the beginning of a departure of the media believing that it's a good decision to follow popularity rather than court controversy. I'm hoping that the critical direction of popular game media outlets continues on a trend away from popularity, attempting to understand that their place in criticism is effectively to question the notion of popular. Media critics are rarely well-known for following the crowd.

It is not so much that The Last of Us is forgettable, it's just that it's simultaneously not particularly memorable. There aren't a lot of beats or scenes that really act as brain weevils nearly so much as not being able to feed your family because you're trying to do your job (as in Papers, Please), or when a game tells you to stop playing it (as in The Stanley Parable). If a game's central purpose is to to let the player take part in the story, it feels somewhat cheap to cut them out when the story actually occurs. Cutscenes have their uses, and they could even be used effectively, but as carrots to ever-more oddly carved sticks, they continue to make their awkward presence in the game ever more known, expected, and trite. If interactivity is the purpose of games, then cutscenes are their antithesis, their competition; using them effectively means incorporation into the game, not existing alongside it. Other M is perhaps the best cautionary tale.

Wait, you didn't even give in a ballot! Or mention any games you even played.

This is your only post from the Voting thread:

Don't have much of a leg to stand on.

I've played or watched the following:

DmC Devil May Cry, Papers, Please, Grand Theft Auto V, Saints Row 4, Killer is Dead, Bioshock Infinite, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Beyond: Two Souls, Dragon's Crown, Final Fantasy XIV : A Realm Reborn (beta), Rocksmith 2014, Call of Duty: Ghosts, The Wolf Among Us, episode 1, The Walking Dead: 400 Days, The Walking Dead, season 2, episode 1, The Stanley Parable, Gone Home, The Last of Us, Antichamber, FEZ, PayDay 2, Remember Me, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Tomb Raider, Warframe, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, Metro: Last Light

Yuterald

I wrote stuff about it. Lots of stuff. I thought it was one of the most inelegantly-designed games I'd played all year with an inefficient and half-baked battle system, repetitive sidequests, repetitive game design, a last act that feels like a direct-to-DVD movie, terrible pacing, horrible AI, spoonfed answers, an inadequate monster-capture system, and it ends up giving you mechanics 12-20 hours into the game when you could have used it hours earlier.

Church.

Can't believe Ni-no-kuni beat SMT IV...I mean, to each their own, but still...ugh.

Top Bottom