• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2016 Awards

Cheers to games in 2016.
Credit to @pandamusk
C1gETMWUUAEpYg6.jpg

It does plenty new. The traversal and gunplay are vastly improved, and the rope adds an entirely new mechanic to the combat encounters. The levels are massive and bigger than ever before, there's driving for the first time and exploration has been expanded greatly.

Despite not being revolutionary it's a complete refinement of the formula and on its own stands as one of the best third person shooters I've played. On top of all that it's gorgeous and features amazing performances from the cast and a satisfying conclusion to the series.

That's why it's #1

This also, is does a lot new and is the least SAFE of the 4, but he has not even played it just salty lol. It is also tonally different and much more serious the the first 3.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I downloaded the zip file and it seems I don't appear in any of the stats. Did I do something that made my list ineligible?
I looked it up, and I think it's because you didn't properly numbered your entries from either 10 to 1 or 1 to 10.

You had numbers (the scores you gave the game) between those and the parser probably rejected it.
This is why some people add those "parser friendly" entries at the end of their huge posts.

kswiston

As has been the case since my daughter was born 3 years ago, I no longer play enough new releases in a year to feel justified voting. But there's some good stuff in there.

I am not surprised at #1. GAF loves their exclusives. Zelda will probably win next year if it is up to franchise standards.

Doom seems like a deserving runner up. I am definitely getting that at some point. It's already been the right price a few times, but guilt over my recent game backlog stops me from pulling the trigger.

Megatron

For me, this was such a terrible year. There were a few games I didn't get to. But stuff like uncharted 4, last guardian and doom just didn't really do anything for me. Uncharted 4 was ok, but nothing special. And it's a shame since I loved the first two games so much. I had a top ten I never got around to submitting and only one of my games (firewatch) made the top 20. And even firewatch I was really let down by where the whole thing went. Bleh. Glad 2016 is over. 2017 looks so, so much better.

Also those platform lists seem to be missing a lot. Xb1 is missing gears of war 4. Vita list is missing dragon Quest builders for instance.

eot

Banned
UGH, Dark Souls III not even cracking the top 3...

You fucked up, GAF. Game of the generation and possibly the greatest video game ever made. At least you correctly chose Bloodborne last year.
Nah, not even the best Souls game.

Hells yes!

Glad to see Senran Kagura Estival Versus made it on the Action game list and Grand Kingdom made it on the Vita GOTY lists.

I'm happy that Shiren the Wanderer managed to squeak its way into the Vita top 5. Pretty surprised that Doom managed to beat out Overwatch for the #2 spot.

Zalman

Yeeaah this is not a gaming year that clicked for me. I did enjoy Uncharted 4, but I kind of forgot about it fairly quickly. Thankfully 2017 looks much, much better in my opinion.

This makes zero sense....What does OW do that is new? There is no pre-requisite that a game has to be revolutionary or do something new, or be a new ip to be GOTY. Maybe you should play UC4 and stop talking nonsense, it is actually quite different then the other uncharteds, so somes dismay. UC4 has the best story..by far, again play the game.

Looks like you need to look up what facts mean, OW should have won is not a fact lol.

Overwatch is overhyped as hell, but he's correct that being a Sony exclusive tends to give games a pretty big boost. Bloodborne (Sony exclusive) absolutely curbstomped everything its year (even up against juggernauts like Witcher III and a MGS game), DSIII (multiplat) didn't crack the top three here.

These genres always confuse me every year. Uncharted (a TPS with multiplayer deathmatch) isn't a shooter, it's an adventure game, and the weird stealth/puzzle/sandbox of Hitman is an action game when just slowly walking around in plain sight and causing accidents is the best way to play and only using "action" is considered a last resort if you fuck up.

Honestly, I thought the combat was easily the worst part of the first three Uncharted games and yet I feel like it singlehandedly earns Uncharted 4 its GOTY. Naughty Dog improved it THAT much.

I looked it up, and I think it's because you didn't properly numbered your entries from either 10 to 1 or 1 to 10.

You had numbers (the scores you gave the game) between those and the parser probably rejected it.
This is why some people add those "parser friendly" entries at the end of their huge posts.

Ohhh, that's what it is, I screwed myself over with the scores in between I bet.

Ah well, that's a lesson learned. Thanks for the heads up.

Overwatch is overhyped as hell, but he's correct that being a Sony exclusive tends to give games a pretty big boost. Compare Bloodborne's votes to Dark Souls III's for reference.

Here sure, not even talking about that, but UC4 also leads on press awards..the game is good. Also the stuff he said is factually false about UC4, he has not played it.

Uncharted at #1 and ffxv at #6 just leads me to believe we have some very load and persistent few Because holy shit I didn't expect these results...Eh well uncharted maybe but ffxv in the top 10 let alone #6 hope for this place yet Xp

I'm not surprised about FFXV, many people of the press loved it and there's a strong vocal fanbase here. What I'm surprised is that people like it that much but I already knew they do.

It's ok, I'm not a fan of FF since a long time now so Square can break it anytime they want.

I can respect the list. Didn't play uncharted 4 or Doom but heard good stuff and good to see last guardian and ffxv rank as high as they did. Good job gaf community.

Here sure, not even talking about that, but UC4 also leads on press awards..the game is good. Also the stuff he said is factually false about UC4, he has not played it.

Fair enough.

I'm not saying it's not good (though I personally wasn't a fan), but GAF absolutely has a disproportionate amount of Sony fans who'll give exclusives a boost over multiplats. Same thing applies to Nintendo games, albeit to a lesser degree for obvious reasons.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Doesn't change the fact that Neogaf is predominantly a Sony fan base, so the result was predictable. I never played UC4, but from what most people say, it plays far too safe. It's the fourth iteration of the series and apparently does absolutely nothing new from the previous games, and is considered slower and weaker story-wise from its predecessors. No game should win game of the year for that, regardless of how beautiful it is. Overwatch should have won for no other reason than it is a brand new IP that became an instant smash hit. You have subjectivity, and then you have hard fact.

Not hurt, just humored.
You seriously don't know what the hell youre talking about do you ? Uncharted 4 improved on the series in many many ways. This is also the best story in the series. People complained that the previous games had way too many combat moments and waves and waves of enemies. Druckmann and Straley acknowledged that, and now everyone complains.

eot

Banned
Seal of Quality Award
The top 10 publishers for the year, based on total number of points for all their titles.

1. Sony = 4172 points, 125 honorable mentions, 23 titles

10. Microsoft = 677 points, 58 honorable mentions, 8 titles

Damn heh

duckroll

Goddamn it appears that the reason why SaGa Scarlet Grace doesn't appear on the OP list at all is because I was probably the only person who voted for it and it was in a slot with 2 points instead of 3. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. :(

Did not expect Doom to score that high! I thought Titanfall 2 would be in the top 5 (my personal goty). Congrats to Naughty Dog for getting another gaf goty.

----- GENRE AWARDS -----

ZdiMx5z.png
R8A6rSX.png

Action Game of the Year: Hitman = 657 points, 25 honorable mentions
2. Let It Die = 114 points, 9 honorable mentions
3. Severed = 57 points, 2 honorable mentions
4. Battleborn = 17 points, 2 honorable mentions
5. PlayStation VR Worlds = 16 points
6. The Lab = 15 points, 1 honorable mention
7. Senran Kagura: Estival Versus = 12 points, 1 honorable mention
8. Hyrule Warriors Legends = 10 points, 2 honorable mentions
9. The Playroom VR = 9 points, 4 honorable mentions
10. Aragami = 8 points, 3 honorable mentions
4. Battleborn = 17 points, 2 honorable mentions
WE DID IT FAM.

Griss

Good job with the thread as always.

The list just reinforces to me how disappointing a year it was for me personally. I would say of the top 6 games, 4 of them I outright dislike, one I like, and one I love. Usually I love all of GAFs top games. I didn't vote for once because I couldn't find more than 5 games I really felt warranted a vote for GotY.

I really hope 2017 is better, 2016 will be remembered as one of the weakest years in gaming to me.

eot

Banned
Not really weird. It makes absolutely sense. Uncharted 4 has the most GOTY awards 2016.

Maybe so. Not something I keep track of.

Doesn't change the fact that Neogaf is predominantly a Sony fan base, so the result was predictable. I never played UC4, but from what most people say, it plays far too safe. It's the fourth iteration of the series and apparently does absolutely nothing new from the previous games, and is considered slower and weaker story-wise from its predecessors. No game should win game of the year for that, regardless of how beautiful it is. Overwatch should have won for no other reason than it is a brand new IP that became an instant smash hit. You have subjectivity, and then you have hard fact.

Don't complain about a game you've never played winning. It makes you look stupid.

This makes me so happy compared to the game awards thread where a lot of people were shitting on uc4. "I didnt care who won as long as it wasnt uc4" was a popular sentiment.

Lanf

Great list, thx for putting this together.

Can't say I'm really surprised at the list. Would have guessed Dishonored 2 would have been a bit higher, but the botched PC launch probably didn't do it any good. Personally didn't vote this year since I have only played a few games from that top 10.

Overwatch should be on the new ip list, no?

Great Job OP! THAT WAS QUICK

people this is a consensus vote, it's not going to match up your personal tastes 1-to-1. Uncharted 4 wasn't my number one but this board isn't about me, it's about US. What about our brothers and sisters that only play Eastern games? I never see them bitching about Stein's Gate being robbed, "cause of you filthy casuals who only play Western games." Get over yourselves

It would be fun to see Naughty Dog go against the main entry of a big Nintendo franchise, like Zelda or Mario.

The Last of Us and Super Mario 3D World both came out in 2013.
My Top 3 that year was Zelda > The Last of Us > Mario, and boy was it agonizingly close.

I think they've proven since Uncharted 2 that they are one of the two or three elite developers on the planet, and the crazy thing is, I think they are still getting better.

Top Bottom