• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Welcome to the wonderful world of math rock. :) I've actually been trying to work with a guitarist to start a Hella-inspired math rock duo.

You may want to start with the originators, as it were. Long as you don't go with Punkgasm or World Class Listening Problem, Don Caballero is a good start:
June is Finally Here

If you want to go more noisy, and I mean rather noisy, then there's Lightning Bolt:
2 Towers

But if you want something more serene, there's Clever Girl:
Elm

And then there's always my personal favorite, Giraffes? Giraffes!:
I Am S/H(im)e[r] As You Am S/H(im)e[r] As You Are Me And We Am I And I Are All Our Together: Our Collective Consciousness’ Psychogenic Fugue

And when you're ready to get into the lyrical domain (where there can be a bit more emo styling), the best starting point is TTNG:
Rabbit

That should make for a good start and help you direct yourself through the genre.

Thanks a lot, wasn't familiar with the last three recommendations. Giraffes? Giraffes! is very relevant to my interests. Clever Girl sounds very interesting with that more jazz approach.

Do you consider Don Caballero as the originators? Is Shellac considered math? I alwys thought Albini was one of the founders of the style.

The combination noise rock / math rock is what works best for me I think. TTNG didn't do much for me.

Other bands / albums I like and I think fit the genre

Bellini - Small Stones

nZGd104.jpg

Drive Like Yehu - Yank Crime

ZQXVIJN.jpg

Videoneon

Nice shoegaze list Steamlord. And thanks for reminding me to give The Jesus and Mary Chain and Swirlies a listen. =P

Drive Like Yehu - Yank Crime

ZQXVIJN.jpg

Holy shit. Someone who's listened to Drive Like Jehu. I like both LPs, but Yank Crime is better. Rome Plows, New Math, Golden Brown, Do You Compute.

Damn I have to read this thread more.

220px-Belle_And_Sebastian_-_If_You%27re_Feeling_Sinister.jpg

Any body else like Belle and Sebastian?

Lots of people do I think. I like Belle and Sebastian. You chose a picture of what is probably one of their better albums.

Haha, it sure is. Don't forget to listen to the I Saw The Sun demos, they're great.

Speaking of shoegaze, My Bloody Valentine is an obvious favorite of mine. But I think a band that doesn't get enough love is Lush. At least until they went a bit Brit-pop. But I love all their albums really.

MBV took some getting in to, but it clicked. I actually haven't checked out the new album. What do people think? I'll be sure to take a look at Lush sometime.

Yeah, Slowdive is awesome. If you don't know them you might wanna try Ride as well.

I tried to listen to Loveless over and over because it's supposed to be such a great album and people with the same taste like it so much. But it never really clicked. Then finally Slowdive and Ride got me into shoegaze and I gave that new MBV album a listen and I liked it. Now I can also listen to Loveless while enjoying myself. Shoegaze is a weird genre that could take some getting into :p

Yeah I had a hard time getting in to shoegaze, but I could say that about most bands I really like. Even Souvlaki took a while to click for me. I didn't really give a shit about Turn on the Bright Lights until a couple months after the first listen, but then again I was in high school.

faridmon

I don't see Crystal Stilts in any of your Shoegaze list and i have to say I am disappointed. If any of you are interested in an impressive fusion of Post-Punk. Lo-fi and Shoagzing (The Jesus and Mary Chain and For Against) then look further than this amazing band.

I have written about them in my blog, so let me know if any of you are interested. :)

Slowdive

Banned
MBV took some getting in to, but it clicked. I actually haven't checked out the new album. What do people think?

I like it a lot. I don't think it's as good as Loveless. I haven't listened to it for a while. I can't listen to it regularly on repeat like I can with Loveless.

Thanks to someone's suggestion earlier in this thread I'm now all into Chvrches. Did some Googling this morning to find out when their full album drops and discovered it is out on Tuesday! Better yet, NPR is streaming the whole album right now.

First Listen: Chvrches, 'The Bones Of What You Believe'

Yep, definitely album of the year material. Seeing them live next month, can't wait!

There's a thread for the album here.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The chvrches album is incredible. I expected Gun and Recover to be the strongest songs, but there are a bunch that are even better. Impressive pop songs all around.

Slowdive

Banned
What do people think of the new Bowie album? I love it so much. He's my favorite male artist. I had almost given up hope that he'd ever return. My favorite album of the year so far. Love is Lost, I'd Rather Be High, Valentine's Day and How Does The Grass Grow? are my favorite tracks from it. The bonus track So She too, it really sounds like it could've been on "...Hours"

Steamlord

Souvlaki deserves every bit of praise it gets, but people often seem to forget about Slowdive's other perfect album:

W9slr3r.jpg

Oh, and as far as early math rock goes, Polvo is essential.

The chvrches album is incredible. I expected Gun and Recover to be the strongest songs, but there are a bunch that are even better. Impressive pop songs all around.

honestly I can't stand this kind of overproduced ultra bright pop sounds. I like pop songs but these productions are only annoying to me. Also, early 80s synthpop has been mined to death for almost 15 years, it's time for a change.
(actually production aside I really don't see anything special in chvrces songwriting either)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
honestly I can't stand this kind of overproduced ultra bright pop sounds. I like pop songs but these productions are only annoying to me. Also, early 80s synthpop has been mined to death for almost 15 years, it's time for a change.
(actually production aside I really don't see anything special in chvrces songwriting either)

To each his own, I get your reasons for not liking them. Chvrches is very poppy and yes overproduced, but the songs are still ace (Lies and We Sink are highlights).

It's weird: Chvrches and Purity Ring are very similar, but I can't stand the latter and love the former.

faridmon

It's weird: Chvrches and Purity Ring are very similar, but I can't stand the latter and love the former.

I honestly don't think they are similar. Purity Ring is more experimental, use a lot dub effect as well as having Chillwave a more prominent feature in their music.

zeeaykay

Sup dudes.

So I got this 90's rock, Weezer soundin' band coming out with our first EP.

Released the first song. Gonna make a thread and all, just seein' if anyone liked it!

artworks-000058208567-z9ys1p-t500x500.jpg

Good stuff man, I really liked it. Keep us in the loop for when you release the album! I remember your cover of 22 as well, glad to see you're still at it!

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Good stuff man, I really liked it. Keep us in the loop for when you release the album! I remember your cover of 22 as well, glad to see you're still at it!

Thanks dude! I'll definitely let you know, there will be a thread on it and whatnot. Just gotta get it ready first.

faridmon

Is Morrisey any good? What would you recommend me of him to begin?

He is a prick and fucking horrible human being, but yes, he is good musically and is one of the most revered artist in our time.

Personally I would start with ''Viva Hate'' and ''Vaxhall and I''

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Louder than Bombs is my favorite Smiths album, and I know its just a b-sides record. It has a great variety of songs and some true classics.

The Smiths are my favorite band ever, so I would recommend checking out all of their studio albums. Hatful Of Hollow and Louder Than Bombs are the two compilations that usually show up on lists, and Louder Than Bombs for me was MUCH better. LTB is actually one of their best ever, despite being compilation works (and they are filled with songs that aren't even on the studio albums; with the exception of Hand in Glove).

Now as for his solo career, I've always been a fan of Bona Drag, which includes some of his best Post-Smiths work and the first record I would recommend listening to once you've listened to The Smiths for the 200th time. I also would highly recommend You are the Quarry, which is great as well.

As a massive fan of the Smiths/Morrissey I'd say yes he's good, well worth listening to. In terms of albums 3 of Morrissey's first four solo albums are fantastic so definitely check out

Viva Hate, Your Arsenal and Vauxhall & I. The latter being his overall post-Smiths peak.
In terms of his more recent stuff You Are the Quarry is a great album and the live album from around the same time is also fantastic.

If you haven't listened to the Smiths everything they did was fantastic, although personally I'd skip the first album and listen to Hatful of Hollow, any song from the debut sounds miles better on Hatful and the rest of the songs are pretty meh. The Queen is Dead is the obvious highlight, but Meat is Murder is up there too.

Album ranking cause why not

One of the best albums of all time:
Queen is Dead

Essential Listening:
Hatful of Hollow
Strangeways Here We Come
Viva Hate
Your Arsenal
Vauxhall & I
Live at Earl's Court

Great Albums:
Meat if Murder
Louder Than Bombs
You Are the Quarry

Good albums:
Rank
Southpaw Grammar
Maladjusted
Ringleader of the Tormentors

Decent albums:
The Smiths
Years of Refusal

Shit albums:
Kill Uncle

Now I really want to listen to the Smiths, it's been years

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Vauxhall and I is such an incredible album. Ranks up there with the best of The Smiths records. Relistening now and Spring Heeled Jim is giving me chills again.

HiResDes

Morrissey's solo stuff is as good as his work with The Smiths, it's more personal at times, and sports a larger variation of tempos. My favorites are You are the Quarrry, Your Arsenal, and Vauxhall.

Top Bottom