• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Big fan of Repave. A much better album than their debut.

You can really see the influence Bon Iver, Bon Iver had. Acetate and Comerade in particular but across the whole album. Hell even Almanac has some heavy synth sort of like Beth/Rest.

It's slowly moving up my top 10 of the year.

Servbot24

Banned
New Of Montreal is pretty good.

Might give Volcano Choir another chance but their last album was just so completely dull...

amnesiac

You can really see the influence Bon Iver, Bon Iver had. Acetate and Comerade in particular but across the whole album. Hell even Almanac has some heavy synth sort of like Beth/Rest.

It's slowly moving up my top 10 of the year.
Yeah. Huge fan of Bon Iver too.
New Of Montreal is pretty good.

Might give Volcano Choir another chance but their last album was just so completely dull...
Repave is such a big improvement from Unmap. Definitely worth a listen.

rohnjambo

Neo Member
Oh man, you NEED to see them live. Songs like Big Brown Eyes, Timebomb, Nightclub, etc. the entire crowd belts out at the top of their lungs along with the band. It's such a fucking blast.

definitely making it a goal to see them when they come to my city. looking forward to this after your explanation, a crowd belting out the lyrics to niteclub sounds like the place i want to be.

replacements-tim-biggest.jpg

All I'm going to say is this: How the hell did this album evade me for so long. Damn, hits hard on so many levels.

Been digging Speedy Ortiz like others on the thread. They went over really well on a party playlist about a month ago. Glad the word of mouth is spreading. If peeps really want some pavement ass sounding band to listen to, give Hockey Night a try. They're essentially Pavement with more guitar hooks.

Been realllllly digging this new album:
pity-sex-feast-of-love.jpg

They're like pop-punk/shoegaze, and if that genre melding doesn't entice you then you're probably not a very good person. Also, surprisingly good lyrics on some of these songs (from what I can make out through the layer of gaze).

My favorite tracks on the album right now are:
Wind Up
Drown Me Out
St. John's Wort

(shout out to the female vocalist too; since she's not in my top 3)

Love The Replacements. Let It Be is an incredible album.
Androgynous damn near brings a tear to my eye every time, hell of an album.

I just tweeted Matador Records asking when the HECK the Terror Twilight reissue is coming....

there are practically no b-sides from the terror twilight sessions, harness your hopes (one of the top 5 pavement songs) was on the spit on a stranger single and they still put it on the brighten the corners reissue.

i suppose they could load it up with radio performances but eh, the band's days were numbered then.

mojiimbo

Just saw that James Murphy is coming around in November and tickets go on sale tomorrow. I didn't even know he was still performing aside from DJ sets. Anyone read or know anything about this?

Slowdive

Banned
All I'm going to say is this: How the hell did this album evade me for so long. Damn, hits hard on so many levels.

The Replacements are awesome. So glad they got back together.

Already been mentioned but one of my favorite bands is The Joy Formidable. Love everything they've done, they're incredible live.

Videoneon

The person above me--the username is Slowdive! on that note I discovered them last summer by listening to Souvlaki and it is the shit.

Hey guys, I'm looking for some new tunes but I find it hard to find stuff I really like. I have a very eclectic taste, from Electric Wizard to Burial and everything in between, so to speak. I also like almost everything Steve Albini has had anything to do with.

Lately I've been heavily into Hella, especially the Tripper album, I just love those hooks and tempo changes. I also love most of the stuff on Face Tat, the solo album of Hella's Zach Hill.

goazN9H.jpg
9OT8nYT.jpg

So check these out if you haven't and recommend me some similar stuff :)

Ooh, Shoegazing thread!

I still would definitely pick Loveless as my favorite, but Ride is pretty good as well. I need to give that album a listen again.

Slowdive

Banned
The person above me--the username is Slowdive! on that note I discovered them last summer by listening to Souvlaki and it is the shit.

Haha, it sure is. Don't forget to listen to the I Saw The Sun demos, they're great.

Speaking of shoegaze, My Bloody Valentine is an obvious favorite of mine. But I think a band that doesn't get enough love is Lush. At least until they went a bit Brit-pop. But I love all their albums really.

Linius

I tried to listen to Loveless over and over because it's supposed to be such a great album and people with the same taste like it so much. But it never really clicked. Then finally Slowdive and Ride got me into shoegaze and I gave that new MBV album a listen and I liked it. Now I can also listen to Loveless while enjoying myself. Shoegaze is a weird genre that could take some getting into :p

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Haha, it sure is. Don't forget to listen to the I Saw The Sun demos, they're great.

Speaking of shoegaze, My Bloody Valentine is an obvious favorite of mine. But I think a band that doesn't get enough love is Lush. At least until they went a bit Brit-pop. But I love all their albums really.

Yeah, Lush were great. I really liked Spooky and Split. Their other stuff's good too. =)

I got a $100 iTunes card as a gift. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm open to anything, I haven't downloaded music in a few years and I have no idea what to get.

Do you have Unknown Pleasures? Because if not...

From this year Trouble Will Find Me by The National is brilliant.

Also Modern Vampires of the City is a modern day Sgt Peppers.

yuck had some potential on their debut but their lead signer left the band so they'll probably wither away and die off after their next record

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Lately I've been heavily into Hella, especially the Tripper album, I just love those hooks and tempo changes. I also love most of the stuff on Face Tat, the solo album of Hella's Zach Hill.

So check these out if you haven't and recommend me some similar stuff :)

Welcome to the wonderful world of math rock. :) I've actually been trying to work with a guitarist to start a Hella-inspired math rock duo.

You may want to start with the originators, as it were. Long as you don't go with Punkgasm or World Class Listening Problem, Don Caballero is a good start:
June is Finally Here

If you want to go more noisy, and I mean rather noisy, then there's Lightning Bolt:
2 Towers

But if you want something more serene, there's Clever Girl:
Elm

And then there's always my personal favorite, Giraffes? Giraffes!:
I Am S/H(im)e[r] As You Am S/H(im)e[r] As You Are Me And We Am I And I Are All Our Together: Our Collective Consciousness’ Psychogenic Fugue

And when you're ready to get into the lyrical domain (where there can be a bit more emo styling), the best starting point is TTNG:
Rabbit

That should make for a good start and help you direct yourself through the genre.

faridmon

Already been mentioned but one of my favorite bands is The Joy Formidable. Love everything they've done, they're incredible live.

Yeah, the Newest album, whilst different, is great. Very orchestral and upbeat. I haven't seen them live yet, but I will, since I have heard great things about them. Certainly one of my favourite British acts.

I got a $100 iTunes card as a gift. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm open to anything, I haven't downloaded music in a few years and I have no idea what to get.

I would really recommend Lillies and Remains' Part of Grace.

faridmon

I tried to listen to Loveless over and over because it's supposed to be such a great album and people with the same taste like it so much. But it never really clicked. Then finally Slowdive and Ride got me into shoegaze and I gave that new MBV album a listen and I liked it. Now I can also listen to Loveless while enjoying myself. Shoegaze is a weird genre that could take some getting into :p

Some of them are easier to listen to than others. I wouldn't certainly expect anyone to enjoy MBV right away since they are a bit noisier and more abrasive than their Dreampop counterparts.

Have you tried Secret Shine? They have been going on for almost 2 decades, but are under the radar and certainly contributed to the Shoegazing world as much as MBV and Slowdive. They just released an album 2 years ago which fantastic.

Slowdive

Banned
Alison's Halo, An April March and Secret Shine are all seriously under appreciated shoegaze bands.

I recently listened to a few Whirr albums, they're good too. More dream pop than shoegaze but from what I've heard of Northern Picture Library, they remind me a little of Slowdive.

Steamlord

Shoegaze / shoegaze-ish / occasionally shoegaze bands that I like:

My Bloody Valentine
Slowdive
Swirlies
The Jesus and Mary Chain
Spacemen 3
Lush
(early) Stereolab
Astrobrite
Cocteau Twins
Yo La Tengo
Lovesliescrushing
Th' Faith Healers
Flying Saucer Attack
Secret Shine
Teenage Filmstars
Drop Nineteens
The Telescopes
Alison's Halo
Fleeting Joys
A.R. Kane
Lilys
LSD and the Search for God
Pinkshinyultrablast
Whirr
Mass of the Fermenting Dregs
Sweet Trip
Have a Nice Life
Black Tambourine
Medicine

Soma

Need post rock recommendations... Got Godspeed, Mogwai, Explosions, Sigur Ros, and Slint. What else?

This might help get you started.

Other similar bands worth looking into:

Pelican
This Will Destroy You
Do Make Say Think
Lights Out Asia
Grails

I'm sure others could provide more lesser known bands but these are some of my favorites. This thread could be useful too. I actually haven't listened to a lot of these bands in years so going through them again really kindled that old flame.

Top Bottom