• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Linius

Opinions on Reflektor guys? After five times I'm positive I'm loving the shit out of this song. Murphy is very present.

Servbot24

Banned
Opinions on Reflektor guys? After five times I'm positive I'm loving the shit out of this song. Murphy is very present.

it's pretty good. hopefully they will rebound with this record.

so i have not listened to any indie music lately. listened a bunch in highschool and eventually got sick of it. my favorite records though were

death cab - trans
my morning jacket - z
joanna newsom - ys
mute math - mute math
panda bear - person pitch
animal collective and radiohead, bunches
i still love mew to death

since then i've mainly been listening techno, metal, pop, jazz and avant.
anyways based on all that are there any new bands that could possibly be worth a try? i hate anything too chillwavey and substanceless.

Been getting into Modest Mouse lately, can't believe it took me this long.

The Moon & Antarctica is some brilliant stuff.

I think it's great.

Neon Bible run through a James Murphy filter.

I just posted on the What Are You Listening To thread for 2013 that Garlands has been on repeat on my iPod for the past few weeks. I just got into them recently. Great sounds. Which album would you suggest I listen to next by them?

garlands is pretty different from the rest of their albums.. they had a different bassist then and its a lot more darkwave

try treasure or heaven or las vegas

if you like either one of those chances are you'll like everything they've released .. really consistent band

bm1616

Japandroids - Celebration Rock
220px-Celebration_Rock.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebration_Rock

I've been listening to this album a lot recently. Just some simple fun rock.

I'll have to check out some bands mentioned here. Binged on music from about 2005-2010, but haven't kept up with it in the past couple years, so I'm mostly listening to the same stuff.

I was going to make a thread for this album, as this band is beyond good. I decided against it since I doubt anyone would really care. So here's the progress I made, before I decided to call it quits.

vwSAwt1.jpg

Genre
Alternative Rock/Pop Punk

Release Date
September 16th 2013

Tracklisting
1. Boston Square
2. Lights
3. Everybody's Dancing and I Want To Die
4. Subterranean Bullshit Blues
5. Night Drives
6. 22
7. Speeding Cars
8. Saved
9. Mildred
10. Tuesday People
11. Kings Road Ghosts
12. Caro Padre

Description
A band that was once a Post-hardcore band, has shifted to a newer (and arguably) better sound. After two years since the release of the critically acclaimed Fools and Worthless Liars comes Deaf Havana's second album as a Alt/Pop Rock band.
With writing that hits home and a voice that stands out among the tops of Alt and Pop Rock comes, what will hopefully, be one of the top Pop/Alt Rock albums in recent years.

Previous Releases
XyRHvmV.jpg

I'm very...particular about punk related genre classifications >_>

I don't really care enough to actually turn this into anything, I was (mostly) joking. We coo' c:

Though this is real pop-punx >_>

Haha sorry. I hate only having one genre for a band, so I usually brand their second genre as whatever I think is closest.

If you're trying to sell a band to a group of enthusiasts Pop Punk is as close to the kiss of death as you can get to straight up saying New Country.

At least to me.

Servbot24

Banned
If you're trying to sell a band to a group of enthusiasts Pop Punk is as close to the kiss of death as you can get to straight up saying New Country.

At least to me.

I always found it kind of funny that of all genres, Punk, the one that is supposed to be all about rebelling and fighting the system is one of the most stuck up about adhering to the perceived standards of the genre.

It's not that the two can't fuse, Sandanista! is amazing and look at my avatar, but it more often then not applies to Billy Talent et al. which is a turn off for me.

At least to me.

Which is why I'm particular about my classifications. Pop-punk, emo and probably a few more that I can't think of have all come to refer to genres that aren't actually close to the genres they should be describing.

Pop-punk
Emo

I always found it kind of funny that of all genres, Punk, the one that is supposed to be all about rebelling and fighting the system is one of the most stuck up about adhering to the perceived standards of the genre.

Eh, it was never all about that, a large part was just that people were bored of Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin and shit. I mean, look at The Buzzcocks, or The Ramones, or The Undertones. Their songs were rarely politicised. Hell, Johnny Ramone was a Republican of all things. It's just that for the most part, punks agree on political issues and, certainly now, I can't speak so much for back then, the scene is full of people who all have the same sorts of anxieties and stuff and so tend to agree with each other on these things.

...that was rambley. Not sure what the point was. I'm tired.

I think the distinction lies in whether bands are taking the energy and/or traditional themes of punk and combining them with different influences to produce a new sound; or are taking the musical trappings of punk, watering them down and tying them to the energy and lyrical style of Pop or Emo.

I did enjoy the Banner Pilot track fwiw.

At least to me.

you're not alone, usually indie-oriented listeners stay away from this kind of bands as far as possible
(they're right)

At least they're better then The 1975

yeah they're not that awful. they sound like american radio rock (with a lot of springsteen in it) more than pop punk.

been discussing with a friend who are the best female-led alt acts of the 90s

i've decided it's a two way tie between sleater-kinney and helium

runners up: letters to cleo, the breeders, veruca salt

i would've included liz phair but her later work is so catastrophically awful that it practically ruins her good shit

HiResDes

been discussing with a friend who are the best female-led alt acts of the 90s

i've decided it's a two way tie between sleater-kinney and helium

runners up: letters to cleo, the breeders, veruca salt

i would've included liz phair but her later work is so catastrophically awful that it practically ruins her good shit

Broadcast, Stereolab, Bjork, Cocteau Twins > > > Than anyone you named. Sleater-Kinney is so overrated, as they are a hundred bands that sound just like them and do that sound just as well.

Broadcast, Stereolab, Bjork, Cocteau Twins > > > Than anyone you named. Sleater-Kinney is so overrated, as they are a hundred bands that sound just like them and do that sound just as well.

whoops i meant specifically alt rock, i would put the cocteau twins pretty high on my list otherwise

and sleater-kinney is most certainly not overrated

Kurita

Loving The 1975's debut album. Looking forward to their future releases.
Bastille's album, Bad Blood, is also pretty damn good. Don't know if they really fit in the rock category though (wikipedia says Alt Rock - Electronica...) but still.

Loving The 1975's debut album. Looking forward to their future releases.
Bastille's album, Bad Blood, is also pretty damn good. Don't know if they really fit in the rock category though (wikipedia says Alt Rock - Electronica...) but still.

the 1975 AND bastille? great tastes bro.

rohnjambo

Neo Member
YES FUCKING SIR. RIGHT FUCKING HERE.

The Old 97's are my favorite band. I've been to see them more times than I can count since 2000. Ive met them on several occassions at various instores and at bars, and Murray Hammond leaned on my car once.

TFTC is my favorite album. And this is the best song on it!

big brown eyes is right up there for me too.
i haven't had a chance to meet/see them yet, i've only got into them some months ago. one of my top bands now.
they need to come to toronto asap.

Enron

Banned
big brown eyes is right up there for me too.
i haven't had a chance to meet/see them yet, i've only got into them some months ago. one of my top bands now.
they need to come to toronto asap.

Oh man, you NEED to see them live. Songs like Big Brown Eyes, Timebomb, Nightclub, etc. the entire crowd belts out at the top of their lungs along with the band. It's such a fucking blast.

Meier

I go back to the Charli XCX album every few weeks and it's still really great. Highly recommended. Here are my shows from the next two two months:

Oct 4 - 6
Austin City Limits Music Festival 2013
Zilker Park, Austin TX, United States

Oct 15
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Emo's East, Austin, United States

Oct 16
The Boxer Rebellion
The Parish, Austin, United States

Oct 27
Sleigh Bells
Stubb's Bar-B-Q, Austin TX, United States

Nov 8-10
Fun Fun Fun Fest
Town Lake Stage at Auditorium Shores, Austin TX, United States

Nov 22
CHVRCHES

This thread certainly took a turn.

Come on guys, there's obviously a midpoint between being positive on everything posted and being hyperbolic or condescending over something you don't like.

That being said still think Modern Vampires of the City is AOTY and anyone who disagrees is a dirty heathen, also The 1975 really do suck. So I'm not really in a position to cast stones.

McNei1y

I go back to the Charli XCX album every few weeks and it's still really great. Highly recommended. Here are my shows from the next two two months:

Oct 4 - 6
Austin City Limits Music Festival 2013
Zilker Park, Austin TX, United States

Oct 15
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Emo's East, Austin, United States

Oct 16
The Boxer Rebellion
The Parish, Austin, United States

Oct 27
Sleigh Bells

Nov 8-10
Fun Fun Fun Fest
Town Lake Stage at Auditorium Shores, Austin TX, United States

Nov 22
CHVRCHES

Niiice.

I'm seeing CHVRCHES again (saw them at Firefly Festival) at Virgin Freefest (Vampire Weekend and Avett Brothers are playing there). They really kick ass.

Firefly Festival really opened me up to several new, alt and indie bands. I love festivals!

Meier

The 1975 album is decent at best. They're basically the antithesis of a typical Manchester band which makes their sound so unusual.

The album getting my most play over the last few months according to last.fm is Lord Huron's Lonesome Dreams. I'm also really loving the new White Lies album.

Top Bottom