• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

New Sebadoh LP is streamingh on NPR and it's great, obviously.

seb4.jpg

Davey Cakes

Broadcast, Stereolab, Bjork, Cocteau Twins > > > Than anyone you named. Sleater-Kinney is so overrated, as they are a hundred bands that sound just like them and do that sound just as well.
It's pretty hard to go to other forms of Riot Grrrl after Sleater-Kinney, man. That band is really talented in terms of song crafting and actually raised the bar for the genre. Riot Grrrl and Post-Punk bands are tough because a lot of them do sound unspectacular and same-y. You kind of have to do some good searching. But, hell, for anyone interested I always toss Sleater-Kinney out there as a recommendation. S-K deserves more recognition, not less. I can't believe I only discovered them recently, years after their splitting up.

If you're going by the first three albums then maybe you'd have a case. But, after that, nope.

And if anything, they're underrated.

That said, I understand if people can't get into the vocals. It takes an adjustment and an understanding of the style.

There's another Riot Grrrl album that's worth mentioning: The Slits - Cut. A fantastic contribution to the genre, though perhaps it doesn't technically fit because it came out way earlier than the movement, in 1979. I guess you could call it a Punk record? But, it's also one that comes with warnings about the vocals. They are certainly disruptive, but also refreshingly distinctive. Can't say I care for any of that band's work afterwards though, especially their most recent album (which is shit soup).

And I fuckin' love Bjork. Cocteau Twins are pretty great, too. I will say that--so I can throw my own controversial opinion in--Cocteau Twins would be a tier higher if the lyrics and comprehensibility were better. As of now I consider that band "good" but their music could have easily been in the stratosphere.

Servbot24

Banned
I go back to the Charli XCX album every few weeks and it's still really great. Highly recommended. Here are my shows from the next two two months:

Oct 4 - 6
Austin City Limits Music Festival 2013
Zilker Park, Austin TX, United States

Oct 15
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Emo's East, Austin, United States

Oct 16
The Boxer Rebellion
The Parish, Austin, United States

Oct 27
Sleigh Bells
Stubb's Bar-B-Q, Austin TX, United States

Nov 8-10
Fun Fun Fun Fest
Town Lake Stage at Auditorium Shores, Austin TX, United States

Nov 22
CHVRCHES
Stubb's Bar-B-Q, Austin TX, United States

ahhh, cant wait to move to austin in a couple weeks :)

For someone who listens (used to listen to until the deviation from music) to 12 Stones, Yellowcard, Linkin Park, Fall out Boy and a bunch of various others.

What band would you recommend to listen to?
Need a song with good guitar (I like deep sounding guitar music, grunge you may call it)

Linius

For someone who listens (used to listen to until the deviation from music) to 12 Stones, Yellowcard, Linkin Park, Fall out Boy and a bunch of various others.

What band would you recommend to listen to?
Need a song with good guitar (I like deep sounding guitar music, grunge you may call it)

Are you looking to get more in to 'indie' music? If you like guitars and you want to get to know some alternative bands garagerock is a good place to start. Slaughterhouse by Ty Segall Band and Floating Coffin by Thee Oh Sees are great records for instance.

Vega

So what is everyones opinion on Muse? I saw them in concert last night. It was a pretty impressive production.

RoKKeR

So what is everyones opinion on Muse? I saw them in concert last night. It was a pretty impressive production.

Love 'em.

I am of course a U2 fan though so perhaps I won't get many people agreeing with me. Love that I can see U2 influences show up throughout their catalogue.

Just missed them in Nashville, really wanted to go.

I can't say many good things about muse, other than that origin of simmetry was quite good. then they got hugely popular and I struggle to understand why. I think it's because they look like rockstars in an age without new rockstars, so I can respect them for making a new kind of stadium rock that doesn't draw too much from the past.
On the other end, they are the epitome of bad taste and excess in music, where everything is huge and dramatic without any subtlely whatsoever. They're a bit like the smashing pumpkins gone wrong.

RyuHayate

This thread certainly took a turn.

Come on guys, there's obviously a midpoint between being positive on everything posted and being hyperbolic or condescending over something you don't like.

That being said still think Modern Vampires of the City is AOTY and anyone who disagrees is a dirty heathen, also The 1975 really do suck. So I'm not really in a position to cast stones.

As they say, opinions are like...

But so long as no one is dismissing anyone to the extent where it's like, "Hey, you've got shit taste in music so GTFO the thread" I don't see how expressing your complete dislike for something could be considered offensive.

I just figured if I like something and share it, maybe someone else will enjoy it, too. If they don't, that's cool, too.

HiResDes

I can't say many good things about muse, other than that origin of simmetry was quite good. then they got hugely popular and I struggle to understand why. I think it's because they look like rockstars in an age without new rockstars, so I can respect them for making a new kind of stadium rock that doesn't draw too much from the past.
On the other end, they are the epitome of bad taste and excess in music, where everything is huge and dramatic without any subtlely whatsoever. They're a bit like the smashing pumpkins gone wrong.
Damn that's so spot on.

HiResDes

Guys I forgot about Elysian Fields, they'd also have to be in my top five favorite female-led alt-rock acts of the 90s.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

IMO, they key for me is that for the first couple fo records, their live intro music was The Final Countdown. And then they just started making records that sounded like The Final Countdown.

I like to pretend that they broke up after Dead Star/In My World.

edit: also, the Smashing Pumpkins are now the Smashing Pumpkins gone wrong :(

edit 2: I have a 1975 t-shirt that I traded with them for one of my own. Guess I have to stop wearing it now :\

mikeroth

garlands is pretty different from the rest of their albums.. they had a different bassist then and its a lot more darkwave

Yeah that's what I read about the original bassist on Garlands. I found Victorialand on vinyl recently and that's why I decided to start looking them up. I briefly listened to a few of the songs on it but need to sit down and give it a full listen from start to finish. Maybe I'll take a long drive with my ipod. I think I'll check out Treasure next. I just listened to the Love's Easy Tears EP and fuck... That is a great song. And a great EP.

Peaked with Origin every album since has been consistently worse. Origin is a 4.5 star album to me every album after that is worse than the last by a half star (my opinion obviously)

edit: also, the Smashing Pumpkins are now the Smashing Pumpkins gone wrong :(

eh well, I don't like to think about smashing pumpkins after adore. I remember listening to zeitgeist when it came out and thinking "what the fuck I just listened"

Linius

The new Sebadoh album is quite fun. Some nice tunes on it. Still in doubt if I should get tickets to see them in a few months. Already saw Dinosaur Jr. this year and Lou Barlow rocked.

Soma

Any Portugal. The man fan here?

Evil Friend is an incredible album.

I honestly haven't been as into these guys since The Satanic Satanist.The new album has some good tracks but overall hasn't left much of an impression on me. Still it's nice to finally hear these guys on the local radio station to my surprise. I've loved a lot of their earlier material but I think Censored Colors might be my favorite album of theirs. They had a really interesting sound and ambition on that one, imo.

faridmon

I honestly haven't been as into these guys since The Satanic Satanist.The new album has some good tracks but overall hasn't left much of an impression on me. Still it's nice to finally hear these guys on the local radio station to my surprise. I've loved a lot of their earlier material but I think Censored Colors might be my favorite album of theirs. They had a really interesting sound and ambition on that one, imo.

To be fair, I was in your position when I first gotten Evil Friend. I didn't liked it at all, but it grew on me with each subsequent listen and now it might be one of my favourite albums this year. You have to keep in mind that these guys aren't as niche anymore, the spend way too much money on Evil Friends, from hiring Danger Mouse on the production side of things, to invite other big names in the industry to actually play with them. They aren't as experimental and as trippy as they used to be, but for somone who aligned themselves with the mass market, its actually really good effort.

Meier

Dood, you better see Descendents and Blake Schwarzenbach.

It looks like they will be playing at the same time as MIA and/or Tenacious D... so I probably won't see them. I'm not familiar with Blake Schwarzenbach but I'm pretty much open to checking anyone out at FFFF. It's a really cool fest that is perfect for sampling new (to you) artists.

Futureman

I've been listening to Speedy Ortiz quite a bit lately. Pavement-fans should definitely check out Major Arcana. I asked on FB if they weren't doing a Euro tour, and they're coming to Belgium in february, so yay.

This is a really good song

not getting the Pavement vibe. Maybe a little? the music is too SAD. Pavement to me is about having a BIG smile on your face.

here's the Pavement-vibey band I've been obsessed with lately:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHcV3kIOQ_k

I've actually only be infatuated with two bands in my lifetime.... Pavement and Shinobu.

HiResDes

Speedy Ortiz is decent, but I think people dying to hear more of that 90s indie-rock sound were just clamoring for anything and have over hyped the album in the process.

It looks like they will be playing at the same time as MIA and/or Tenacious D... so I probably won't see them. I'm not familiar with Blake Schwarzenbach but I'm pretty much open to checking anyone out at FFFF. It's a really cool fest that is perfect for sampling new (to you) artists.
Schwarzenbach was the singer/guitarist of Jawbreaker, the best (real) emo band.

Sobriquet

You're making a big mistake.

re speedy ortiz

my good buddy and primary collaborator for my own project played guitar in sadie's previous band quilty (if you enjoyed major arcana check out their record from 2010 clover/coriander, i think it's about as good)

i hung out with the speedy ortiz people early last month. pretty good friends with matt, the lead guitarist, just a real cool guy and a beast live; creamium you're in a for a treat if you catch their show. i got kind of a weird vibe with the drummer, he said he really wants his own songwriting contributions to be featured more and seemed weirdly ambivalent about current direction of the group. i dunno, i wouldn't be surprised if he gets replaced in the next year lulz.

and their best song by far is taylor swift. i think they fucked up by not putting it on major arcana.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Speedy Ortiz is pretty good, Volcano Choir is where it's at tho.

Will need to check that out.

not getting the Pavement vibe. Maybe a little? the music is too SAD. Pavement to me is about having a BIG smile on your face.

here's the Pavement-vibey band I've been obsessed with lately:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHcV3kIOQ_k

I've actually only be infatuated with two bands in my lifetime.... Pavement and Shinobu.

The song I posted is pretty sad yes, but the others on the album aren't. The sound as a whole definitely reminds me of Pavement tbh... I like the song in your post

re speedy ortiz

my good buddy and primary collaborator for my own project played guitar in sadie's previous band quilty (if you enjoyed major arcana check out their record from 2010 clover/coriander, i think it's about as good)

i hung out with the speedy ortiz people early last month. pretty good friends with matt, the lead guitarist, just a real cool guy and a beast live; creamium you're in a for a treat if you catch their show. i got kind of a weird vibe with the drummer, he said he really wants his own songwriting contributions to be featured more and seemed weirdly ambivalent about current direction of the group. i dunno, i wouldn't be surprised if he gets replaced in the next year lulz.

and their best song by far is taylor swift. i think they fucked up by not putting it on major arcana.

Even though it's still far away, I'm really excited. Wasn't expecting them to come over here yet, so it's a nice surprise.

Linius

As a Pavement fan I had to check it out now after all this talk, Speedy Ortiz sounds pretty good.

But it will be hard for me to find a record that could beat FIDLAR and Parquet Courts for this years rock debut records.

Top Bottom