• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

faridmon

Wierd, because his first track really had an Ought sound to it. Digging that second single, can't wait for the album!

Super dope record. Owl is killing me.

Yeah, so far my favourite seems to be Give me blood. The random guitar noises just make this track fresh every time I listen to it.

Super great start to 2017 me thinks.

Futureman

There were a few people posting in here that the new Cloud Nothings is not good...

WRONG.

IMO. Just did my first listen and I really enjoyed it. Not as "hooky" as their past stuff but I can see this record really growing on me. "Internal World" and "Strange Year" are my favs so far.

"Attack on Memory" is still their best though. That album is a monster.

A song by this band 'Night School' came on my Discover Weekly playlist came on this week. Listened to the full album and it's great, Chastity Belt/Adult Mom vibes off it.

cover1.jpg

https://open.spotify.com/album/62J6OH9zhjiWvxAFUkoS7n

Steamlord

It's weird, I loved Night School's debut EP, but the LP just did nothing for me. I was pretty bummed. I didn't listen to it very much though, maybe I should give it another shot.

But yeah, I highly recommend their Heart Beat EP.

Fjordson

I liked the Night School album. Definitely smoothed out some of the rough edges from the EP which was a little bit of a bummer, but still enjoy both overall.

There were a few people posting in here that the new Cloud Nothings is not good...

WRONG.

IMO. Just did my first listen and I really enjoyed it. Not as "hooky" as their past stuff but I can see this record really growing on me. "Internal World" and "Strange Year" are my favs so far.

I strongly agree with this though "Here and Nowhere else" is my personal favorite. "Life Without Sound" feels very much like a follow-up to this album, wich also didn't really click with me the first time I heard it. Give it another chance!

Dead

well not really...yet

WRONG.

It's not what I expected, but yeah it's really good none the less

Agreed about Attack on Memory.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I think the new Cloud Nothings is okay, but a couple of songs remind me of Weezer... ick

Darkened Rings is my favorite track so far.

faridmon

Just finished listening to the Cloud Nothings. Its fun, its pop rock. Its safe and it sounds like it was made with mass market in mind. But I on'y mind. Its catchy and upbeat. Just wish the drumming was better. The drummer has calmed down a lot.

Modern Act remains to be my favourite

HiResDes

WRONG.

We're not wrong, we just have higher standards

faridmon

Lol

I think people who like Wavves and Weezers are the ones who will get the most out of the new Cloud Nothings.

Speaking of which, Wavves did confirm that their new album is almost done a while back. Really excited to see what they cooking. Loved V.

Linius

Saying others are wrong and then the reply about higher standards. Both are equally sigh worthy lads, I expected better
IO0pqxZ.png

faridmon

Yeah, it's got a great energy to it. I'd fallen out a bit with post-punk the past few months but this album reminded me why I like the genre so much.

Sad there aren't much Post-punk albums being scheduled so far. Post War Glamour Girls announced an album yesterday so there is that.

faridmon

HOLY FUCK

Secret Shine Just announced a new album today. SECRET SHINE TOOOO

Slowdive, Ride, The Jesus and Mary Chain AND SECRET SHINE in one year.

I can't handle so much Shoegaze revival.

faridmon

Bought my ticket to Field Day. Anyone who wants to go, their 3rd and the most expensive tier is starting tomorrow, you have exactly 1 day to buy the second tier.

faridmon

I don't know if anyone cares, as there have been an overflow of record announcement between yesterday and today

Another one, Noga Erez debut '' Off the Radar'' is coming out on the 2nd of June

Loved her two tracks so far. Looking forward to this!

Futureman

He announced a tour as well, definitely going. Saw him at Electric Picnic two years ago and he was great.

I'm definitely going to the Pittsburgh show. But the show before that is in Asheville, NC and my GF and I have wanted to take a trip there for awhile now. May have to do it now.

Fjordson

Not really feeling the new Mac songs. And I'm not usually a fan of acoustic stuff, so that's sort of a bummer about the album. I'll miss those amazing electric guitar tones he has.

faridmon

£30 for the Spoon gig in London which is usually a lot more than what I pay for gigs. Deciding whether I should take the plunge or not.

Linius

Go for it m8, Spoon is a fantastic live band. Wish they'd tour around Europe more often. They've been here twice in the past 7 years.

chris121580

£30 for the Spoon gig in London which is usually a lot more than what I pay for gigs. Deciding whether I should take the plunge or not.

They sound great live but last time I saw them, there just wasn't much energy. As long as you go in with that expectation, you should enjoy it

Also, everything I've heard so far from the new Menzingers album sounds so good. Can't wait for it to come out on Friday. I've read nothing but positive reviews as well

Alpende

New Future Islands this year as well. Started listening to them because of Sam Herring's feature on the latest BADBADNOTGOOD album. I like it.

overcast

Out of John Misty's new stuff:

Pure Comedy and Ballad Of The Dying Man are both great tracks.

Two Wildly Different Perspectives is pretty whack. Nothing interesting going on in that one.

Futureman

Out of John Misty's new stuff:

Pure Comedy and Ballad Of The Dying Man are both great tracks.

Two Wildly Different Perspectives is pretty whack. Nothing interesting going on in that one.

it almost sounds like an interlude or something which is fine, but why release it before the album?

I think Grimes did something similar where she released either "laughing and not being normal" or "Life in the Vivid Dream" (can't remember which) before the album dropped.

overcast

Angel Olsen released a one off track on Bandcamp. Fly On Your Wall. Excellent song from the My Woman sessions.

Hopefully she plays it when I see her in two weeks.
it almost sounds like an interlude or something which is fine, but why release it before the album?

I think Grimes did something similar where she released either "laughing and not being normal" or "Life in the Vivid Dream" (can't remember which) before the album dropped.
That's a good point. It is a 13 track album. Just an odd release given it is such a mundane track.

faridmon

Post War Glamour Girls is also donating their sales to American Civil Liberties Union as well along with Bandamp themselves.

Get their music. One of the better English bands in the last few years if you are into Post-Punk Revivals and such.

http://postwarglamourgirls.com/merch

Go for it m8, Spoon is a fantastic live band. Wish they'd tour around Europe more often. They've been here twice in the past 7 years.

They sound great live but last time I saw them, there just wasn't much energy. As long as you go in with that expectation, you should enjoy it

Also, everything I've heard so far from the new Menzingers album sounds so good. Can't wait for it to come out on Friday. I've read nothing but positive reviews as well

Thanks, buying that ticket then.

chris121580

Wow, The Menzingers may have put out their best album yet! That's saying something considering how good their catalog has been. Definitely going to be a contender for album of the year. So good

Agree with those who have said they've been enjoying the new Menzingers album. I've been anticipating this since "Lookers" came out and this is just a really great album. Up there with On the Impossible Past for me, which I really loved, and might exceed it, depending on how my repeated listens go throughout the year. Definitely the first album that's really hooked me so far this year.

Futureman

I was obsessed with "On the Impossible Past" but never really got into their earlier albums or the one after "Impossible Past." I'll give the new one a listen.

Linius

There wasn't anything standing out to me in my first listen for Elbow's new album. But it wasn't bad either. We'll see if it lands after a couple of more times.

Top Bottom