• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

faridmon

I am loving the new Cloud Nothings album.

I love the indie type of Pop-rock/pop-rock so maybe that have something to do with that, but I am enjoying this album massively. So catchy and devoid of fillers.

Wavves album later this year so it should be a good year for that kind of music.

walouija

Neo Member
Anyone else listening to For Posterity by Dry Jacket? Came out a few weeks ago. It's kinda diet-mathrock/indie -- I'm getttin lots of Pinback vibes from it.

Thought some of y'all might like them maybe.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
King Gizzard releasing five interconnected albums this year 😨

The one from last year was fun but exhausting to listen to more than a couple times. These dudes might need to reign in the excess soon.

faridmon

King Gizzard releasing five interconnected albums this year 😨

The one from last year was fun but exhausting to listen to more than a couple times. These dudes might need to reign in the excess soon.

Thats their shtick really. and I don't see them stopping anytime soon. At least their fans know what they are into.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Loving the new Priests album, can't say the same for any of the other recent releases except Menace Beach is pretty good.

Just not feeling Japandroids or Cloud Nothings.

faridmon

Loving the new Priests album, can't say the same for any of the other recent releases except Menace Beach is pretty good.

Just not feeling Japandroids or Cloud Nothings.

Yeah Menace Beach one is fantastic.

I am enjoying Cloud Nothings' new record. Its not their best work, but it feels lighter and more twee than their previous ones, and which I enjoy on the surface. Its not gonna win any awards thats for sure.

The Japandroids one is rubbish IMO. Just the same old songs played 10 times.

Never listened to Xiu Xiu or Dirty Projectors before but both have new albums out soon and their singles caught my ear. What's a good place to start with them?

My favourite Xiu Xiu album is probably Knife Play but they have great stuff all across their 15 year or so output so I'd recommend checking out everything

Linius

Looking forward to the new Ryan Adams album on friday. And Tim Darcy will release his solo album on friday too. Good day.

Dead

well not really...yet
Never listened to Xiu Xiu or Dirty Projectors before but both have new albums out soon and their singles caught my ear. What's a good place to start with them?
Bitte Orca for Dirty Projectors.

Xiu Xiu, fabulous muscles is probably a good starting point.

big ander

Finally got the Priests album this week and damn does it rock. Real stylistic leap forward from their shorter releases which ultimately brings it to the sound of classic punk. Some X-Ray Spex, some Clash, some James Chance-y no wave funk. "JJ" and "No Big Bang" and "Suck" are highlights. Love it.

That and Julie Byrne's record are all that've really stuck with me so far this year, I've mostly been listening to older stuff lately. Anyone listen to Half Japanese? I've liked 1/2 Gentlemen for years but only just started going through those reissues of their catalog. Such a great band, ton of fun. I think my favorite so far is their second album, Loud. Great cover of the Doors' "Spy" and noise rock sketches like "Loud/Louder/Loudest". best entry point of the early stuff is probably #3 though, Our Solar System. Classic lo-fi garage punk songs like "Knocked Down on the Dance Floor, covers of the velvets and 13th floor elevators. Wish I'd started with those instead of the triple LP (basically quadruple LP in the reissue) debut album, lol

Linius

AXxdvdQ.png

Another year that BKS is shaping up to be a great festival

faridmon

Looking good. Girl Band, Sløtface, American Football, Aurora, Real Estate, Tomas Dybdahl, Jenny Hval, The Parrots, Mitski, Show Me the Body, Cigarettes After Sex and King Gizzard all sound wonderful

Linius

Not planning on skipping them, as a matter of fact just put on last years record 10 minutes ago :p

Farid, get your ticket son.

Linius

Not yet, I'll just put it on tomorrow morning and see what they've been up to. Hopefully some catchy rock songs and I'll be happy.

faridmon

And speaking of Whiches,

Pumarosa announced debut album today. ''THE WITCH'' is out on 7th of May!

Dragonfly
Honey
The Witch
Priestess
Lions' Den
My Gruesome Loving Friend
Red
Barefoot
Hollywood
Snake

Fucking love Priestess (Top 5 song in the last 5 years!)

Can't wait!

I know that Animal Collective felt from grace with their last records
(or it was always shit, idk)
but they just put out a cover they played during their last tour and it was the best thing live,so:

Jimmy Mack

I kinda forgot that the new Orwells record is dropping tomorrow. Anyone hear any of the new tracks?

Well, they are kinda solid. Like all of the Orwells stuff, I guess. Nothing to mindblowing but if you like garage rock you will have fun with them. Buddy is really good the rest is a bit bland.

Servbot24

Banned
I know that Animal Collective felt from grace with their last records
(or it was always shit, idk)
but they just put out a cover they played during their last tour and it was the best thing live,so:

Jimmy Mack

The EP is really nice imo.

I actually would say they're still a very good band, it's just that Sung Tongs, Feels, Strawberry Jam, Merriweather Post Pavillion was such an insane run that a let down was inevitable. Centipede was still really good I thought. Painting With was the first mediocre one.

Linius

Tim Darcy's debut is aight. Have the feeling it's a bit of a grower. Listening to the new The Orwells record now, pretty good. Simple garage rock, all I expected and just what I wanted to hear from these guys.

chris121580

Loving the new Strand of Oaks album. Showalter continues to put out great albums. I love that he's not afraid to step outside the box a little bit.

And speaking of Whiches,

Pumarosa announced debut album today. ''THE WITCH'' is out on 7th of May!

Fucking love Priestess (Top 5 song in the last 5 years!)

Can't wait!

Spotify's discover playlist introduced me to Pumarosa last month. Even though most of the playlists are garbage, they keep me hooked for the occasional gem. Looks like Pumarosa released a new single "Dragonfly" today too.

Futureman

I listened to the Pumarosa track and it didn't really grab me. Not my cup of tea.

I'm still obsessed with Kevin Morby. Also been listening to Camp Cope. Their split with Cayetana is good.

Top Bottom