• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

faridmon

Great! I've been dying for new material from them ever since somebody posted their EP here last year. That EP along with the EP from Hoops were constantly in my rotation. Now both are coming out with new albums.

Yeah the EP is bloody fantastic for what it was, and the good news is that none of the track in that EP will appear in the LP.

Just checked out Hoops from your post, wow they sound great. will check out the album.

chris121580

I'd never heard of Chicano Batman until I stumbled across reviews of their new album. All of the reviews I've seen have been glowing. It's fantastic. These guys are going to have a big year. Reminiscent of Tame Impala and The Black Keys but they add their own twist. Some nice old school R&B in there too. I'm really digging it

Friendship(Is A Small Boat In A Storm)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k9TVfnHH8Q

YaBish

I'd never heard of Chicano Batman until I stumbled across reviews of their new album. All of the reviews I've seen have been glowing. It's fantastic. These guys are going to have a big year. Reminiscent of Tame Impala and The Black Keys but they add their own twist. Some nice old school R&B in there too. I'm really digging it

Friendship(Is A Small Boat In A Storm)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k9TVfnHH8Q
GAF is the last place I expected these guys to show up. Been following them since I had to give a presentation on a Hispanic musical artist in class in 2014. I wanna say they were featured on the NPR program Alt.Latino and that's where I picked up on them.

Glad to see they're doing well.

chris121580

GAF is the last place I expected these guys to show up. Been following them since I had to give a presentation on a Hispanic musical artist in class in 2014. I wanna say they were featured on the NPR program Alt.Latino and that's where I picked up on them.

That's awesome. They seem to be doing very well. Apparently they've been working with and doing some touring with Jack White. Never a bad thing

Futureman

did you guys & gals like the 2nd Father John Misty song he played on SNL? I thought it was really great and he gave a memorable performance. Regretting leaving early when it started raining at the Jicks/Misty show I went to in Portland last year.

Jzero

i just got back from seeing the Red Hot Chili Peppers, young me is very happy.

The new Homeshake album is very nice.
I really like "Hello Welcome", "Call Me Up", "Not U", "Every Single Thing", and "TV Volume" but everything else is meh. His Midnight Snack album is still my fav.

I've seen them like 3 times. They play pretty frequently in Santa Ana

Any Soko fans in here? She released a new track recently
Me! She got naked at the show I saw her at. Have to take a listen to that new track soon.

I'm pissed the Mac Demarco show sold out in Pittsburgh.
He's really good live (seen twice), i took a date to one of his shows and it was marvelous.

Never listened to B Boys before but their new song sounds like a mix of Parquet Courts and Girl Band. It's decent so I checked out their debut LP, No Worry No Mind. And all I have to say is they nailed the early Wire sound.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Never listened to B Boys before but their new song sounds like a mix of Parquet Courts and Girl Band. It's decent so I checked out their EP, No Worry No Mind. And all I have to say is they nailed the early Wire sound.

You've piqued my interest

faridmon

Never listened to B Boys before but their new song sounds like a mix of Parquet Courts and Girl Band. It's decent so I checked out their EP, No Worry No Mind. And all I have to say is they nailed the early Wire sound.

Bloody hell, you just made me a fan.

they also have a new album out it seems. I'll wait for that!

Futureman

just won Green Day/Against Me tickets calling into my local radio station!

what is this... 1996?

I'm so jazzed right now because I've never won anything like this calling into a station. Green Day was my favorite punk band in high school and Against Me is my fav punk band now. Pretty cool.

just won Green Day/Against Me tickets calling into my local radio station!

what is this... 1996?

I'm so jazzed right now because I've never won anything like this calling into a station. Green Day was my favorite punk band in high school and Against Me is my fav punk band now. Pretty cool.
I wish both those bands could go back in time since I haven't liked a Green Day release since Insomniac in 1995 and an Against Me! release since Disco Before the Breakdown EP in 2004...

Cmagus

Not sure how many people know of the UK band Captain but they're coming back after breaking up and they released their second unreleased album for free on Youtube they made just before they broke up.

In case anyone is interested:

maxresdefault.jpg

Captain - Distraction

Hyped as fuck for the Spoon and Real Estate releases this Friday. Early impressions seem to be good and I know I'll be spinning both for months.

Linius

Completely forgot the new Real Estate is coming tomorrow as well. So caught up in the Spoon hype. Made sure to pre-order a copy of the colored vinyl at my local record store. Tomorrow is gonna good.

faridmon

You can Srteam Kelly Lee Owens new album, Self-titled on NPR right now. Its coming out next week and bloody hell am i excited!

http://www.npr.org/2017/03/16/52001...=nprmusic&utm_term=music&utm_content=20170316

Completely forgot the new Real Estate is coming tomorrow as well. So caught up in the Spoon hype. Made sure to pre-order a copy of the colored vinyl at my local record store. Tomorrow is gonna good.

Don't know how I feel about Real Estate to be honest, wasn't really impressed by their tracks so far.

But yeah, looking forward to Spoon on Friday!

Alpende

Kasabian's new record 'For Crying Out Loud' is coming on April 28th. Seems people really started disliking them in recent years but I still enjoy them. New song is called 'You're In Love With A Psycho'.

It's okay I guess, the album art is awful though.

YaBish

So that Spoon record, huh...

Really grooving on it. Feels like an album in two distinct parts and the tracklisting feels meant for vinyl in that respect.

thabiz

Not digging the new spoon. I'm pretty sure I'm done with them at this point.

That Kelly Lee Owens tho. WHEW!

Also check the Homesick record, Youth Hunt. So good.

yagal

The opening track f the new Spoon is very good, but there's no follow up to that. Dunno know, will give it another shot after because now I'm listening the new Depeche Mode.

lttp. liking Emily’s D+Evolution
standout: Judas, Earth to heaven, Rest in pleasure

Just saw Xiu Xiu live and they were fantastic. The live setting really showed the manic side of their sound well and I was surprised at how much of their instrumentation was done with actual instruments. The drummer had a big grin on her face the whole time and was obviously having a blast. Some songs didn't translate as well like Jenny Gogo but all the songs were really technically well-done. Overall great experience and absolutely worth seeing live.

Linius

Really liking the new Spoon and Real Estate records. As to be expected from that pre-released track Real Estate didn't change much and it just works for them. Love those mellow tunes. As for Spoon, quite a bit different from their last album this time around. Especially that last track stood out in that aspect. Had me wondering if I was still listening to Spoon for a moment.

Just saw Xiu Xiu live and they were fantastic. The live setting really showed the manic side of their sound well and I was surprised at how much of their instrumentation was done with actual instruments. The drummer had a big grin on her face the whole time and was obviously having a blast. Some songs didn't translate as well like Jenny Gogo but all the songs were really technically well-done. Overall great experience and absolutely worth seeing live.

Definitely, I saw them perform the Twin Peaks stuff and it's one of my fav gigs ever.

Futureman

new Black Lips track "Can't Hold On" on Spotify.

new album "Satan's Graffiti or God's Art?" out 5/5!

edit: just realized... Mac Demarco and Black Lips on the same day!

Just saw The Kills live (yeah second concert this week). They were great and completely lived up to my immensly inflated expectation as one of the bands that got me into alt/indie music. The opener Dream Wife was forgettable but a good exercise in how valuable experience is for live performances. Alison and Jamie were really fun to watch and had a lot of moves that you can tell were forged through lots of live performances. There might be some bias because I didn't think much of Ash & Fire but they absolutely killed it when they played their older tracks, especially the ones from Midnight Boom. I also respect them for closing with Sour Cherry because it seems cheeky enough to be something a fan would come up with. Overall great performance that's well worth seeing if you're a fan.

Futureman

Whoa there's a new Kevin Morby record coming out in June (he just released "Singing Saw" last year). New song "Come to Me Now" is a slow burner but good.

I'm seeing Waxahatchee & Morby tonight in Pittsburgh! Can't wait.

Top Bottom