• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

I searched GAF for any impressions on this album and only found this.

This is the only album I've EVER stopped halfway through because I couldn't handle it.

The pain is so, so real.

Listening now, wow it's tough to get through. Emotionally raw as anything I've listened to in a few years, probably since Sufjan's last LP.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

This is the only album I've EVER stopped halfway through because I couldn't handle it.

The pain is so, so real.
I think about what he said, regarding not knowing if this was appropriate to release as an album, but I can see why he did – he's an artist and music is his medium. I just don't think I personally want to listen to it.

hawk2025

Listening now, wow it's tough to get through. Emotionally raw as anything I've listened to in a few years, probably since Sufjan's last LP.

I think about what he said, regarding not knowing if this was appropriate to release as an album, but I can see why he did – he's an artist and music is his medium. I just don't think I personally want to listen to it.

It's Carrie & Lowell to the Nth degree.

I feel like I don't deserve to listen to this, that it doesn't belong to me.

The pain is so, so real.

Goddamn I did the same thing I got this thread and this post lol. I had to stop a few times listening to this, it starts painful and it just gets more and more intense. It's an absolutely beautiful album and I love how visceral it is, like it's really not too poetic but more like a straightforward confessional diary of dealing with this. But I was a shell of a man by the end of the second song.

It's somehow even better than Skeleton Tree or Carrie & Lowell and much more powerful than both.

King_Moc

Banned
800luplupcowmoo800-17-field.png

Glastonbury nailing it again. Well hyped.

King_Moc

Banned
Speaking of nailing it, Vision Festival also announced their first batch of line-up and its freaking exciting already!

Motherfucking LIARS

This is gonna be another good year!

Did they do a dog show last year!?

Liars is a pretty big name for them. Will keep my eye on it as I'm not too familiar with a lot of that first wave.

King_Moc

Banned
Just got through my first listen of the new British Sea Power album. It should surprise no one that it's excellent. Melodic and mostly upbeat. Reminiscent of their 'Do You Like Rock Music?' album. I can't believe their debut was 14 years ago now, I remember buying it on launch day in HMV.

faridmon

Just got through my first listen of the new British Sea Power album. It should surprise no one that it's excellent. Melodic and mostly upbeat. Reminiscent of their 'Do You Like Rock Music?' album. I can't believe their debut was 14 years ago now, I remember buying it on launch day in HMV.

It came out today didn't?

Yeah, haven't bought it yet, am gonna do that later today.

Futureman

random thought but man what happened to Band of Horses? I can definitely say their first two albums would fall in my top 100 records easily.

I'm trying their latest "Why Are You OK" right now...

iamblades

I just got the debut LP of a power trio of teenage sisters from Mexico, and it's quite possibly the most excited I've been about a musical debut in over a decade. It's called XXI Century Blood, and the band's name is The Warning, they did a TedX talk a while back, and it put me on notice enough to watch out for what they ended up doing.

9CEGUqt.png

Here is the first single/video from it, which isn't the best song on it, but still quite good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syTyga3lVL0

Other songs to check out are Survive, Wildfire and Copper Bullets(the latter being more of a metal vibe, and probably their most polished overall composition), but the whole album is pretty damned impressive, especially when you consider their ages(13, 15 and 17). If they continue to mature in their songwriting(there's a bit of cliched teen girl angst in there, but not an offensive amount), they should be huge.

As it is, I have just been thrilled to see such raw enthusiasm and energy, and will definitely follow whatever they do next.

the diet cig album is really, really good. like AOTY contender even before i finished it.
Even though I like them recorded I can't decide if I want to see them live this weekend. Also I have a feeling that my old self would be even more out of place at that show than some others I've been to recently.

faridmon

I am still listening to Health new album and its still fucking good. It would be an early candidate for AOTY if it wasn't made up mostly of remix tracks.

Futureman

Listening to Diet Cig now.... it's decently fun. AOTY get outta here!

though that got me thinking and I have no strong contenders yet for AOTY.

Father John Misty today... pretty good. I really like some of the songs but it's a little too long winded for me/not as fun as his last album.

I decided to seek out some albums today and saw the universal praise for the new Mount Eerie record. I had never listened to their work before and decided to give the album a go.

Now I'm just sitting in the living room by myself, the room keeps getting darker because the sun is going down. Fuck me, that was brutal.

And good.

Top Bottom