• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

HiResDes

I realized at some point a few years ago that I'm just tired of Oldham's shtick. I used to be a huge fan of his back in the day, have basically all of his singles on vinyl, etc. But he hasn't really progressed as an artist at all. Yeah this cover album is decent. I was never a big Merle Haggard fan to begin with though, and these songs don't really shed new light on them. That flute is also something I cannot abide.

Although they're not directly comparable, Bill Callahan has kept me far more interested throughout the years.

Well Bill Callahan is pretty much my favorite artist, so no disagreement there

faridmon

Man, Life debut album Popular Music might be gunning for top 5 AOTY so far. Such a great and explosive album

a3621823374_10.jpg

Euromillions

Bandcamp

Naw it wasn't that great

Meh, Top 10 AOTY for me

overcast

Yeah, its enjoyable, but your opinion is wrong. Last year Savages was amazing and one of the best last year.
I really didn't care for about half of that album. Significant step down from their debut.
New Arcade Fire single is out and spoilers: it's fucking phenomenal.

Album due out on July 28th.
It is? A bit skeptical for some reason. I prefer Reflektor to Suburbs but they haven't dropped something truly great since Neon Bible I think. A decade ago.

Dead

well not really...yet
Neon Bible is still their best yeah, but I love the new song. Haven't dislike any album of theirs tbh tho.

Icolin

Banned
I think The Suberbs is their best, followed shortly by Funeral.

Their entire discography is great though, and this upcoming album isn't going to fail in that regard, judging from this fantastic single.

YaBish

The new Alt-J is out

Listed as a Thom Green's album on Spotify for some reason
Listening to it right now, and I think it's going to take some time before I'm able to place it in relation to their other two albums. Really feels like a grower to me.

Feels like a combination of their first and second albums, expanded in sound and style.

"Hit me like that Snare" is great.

faridmon

Anyone here going to Field day tomorrow?

Lot of clashes, so it means that I'll miss Aphex Twin, King Gizzard and Death Grips

My program probably looks like this Methyl Ethel, Haelos, flamingods, Lena Wikins break, Nicloas Jaar, Nina Kraviz and then Slowdive

Listening to it right now, and I think it's going to take some time before I'm able to place it in relation to their other two albums. Really feels like a grower to me.

Feels like a combination of their first and second albums, expanded in sound and style.

"Hit me like that Snare" is great.
It's like any Alt-J album, imo. The tracks need a while to grow on you. Once they do, though...

There's not a track on the album I dislike. "Hit Me Like That Snare" took the longest to click, but I'm starting to dig even that.

Absolute favorites are "Deadcrush" and "Pleader". So good.

big ander

wasn't sure about their slowdown on the previous album at first but after coming to love it ("joke" is one of their best songs) I similarly love this. julia's vocal work is really good and the gradual movement of the songs and the seeming ease and precision of their sound reminds me of bedhead. "different now" is great, "5am" is A++

thabiz

Absolutely in love with Noga Erez's debut. What a fantastic record.

The new Ulrika Spacek is really, really good too.

big ander

Caught protomartyr over the weekend and they played a bunch of new stuff. Sounded great. Said a new record should be coming in the fall
New Alvvays Track

In Undertow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knXIYXDFh4U

Apparently their new album ''Antisocialites'' is out on September 8th
Another earworm from em. Wish this were out for summer though.
I kinda ruined myself with them also bc for the longest time I only had their debut on cassette (well and a rip of that cassette, it wasn't out in any other form) and I got used to the warm & muggy mix. So I might have to buy this one on tape too

Saw Bon Iver yesterday, the 22 a million tracks sounded amazing live. Especially Creeks and 33 God.

Also before their set members of the bands playing Forbidden Fruit did a jam session for like an hour, it was so good.

big ander

idc what the almanac says! summer began last week when "Highway Star" came on the radio while I was driving with the top down, and it'll end on september 3rd with the Twin Peaks finale

I've only heard a couple early Drums songs a long time ago and I didn't really care for them but I'll try out the new singles. really like that album art.

yagal

So the last Alt J album have 8 songs and I dont like 3 of them. 5/8 is not a good ratio for an album. I will make a playlist with 5 song and call it an EP

Lot of "disappointments" this year Kendrick, Gorillaz and now Alt j.

London Grammar don't break my heart

thabiz

So the last Alt J album have 8 songs and I dont like 3 of them. 5/8 is not a good ratio for an album. I will make a playlist with 5 song and call it an EP

Lot of "disappointments" this year Kendrick, Gorillaz and now Alt j.

London Grammar don't break my heart

Think Ive spotted the problem with being disappointed.

Futureman

Hmmm Kurt Vile & Courtney Barnett are releasing a collaborative album.

I never really listened to Vile. I'll have to give a few of his albums a try.

Barnett's "Sometimes I Sit And Think..." is in my top 5 albums of the past 5 years (arbitrary distinction).

I'm guessing this will be good!

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm Kurt Vile & Courtney Barnett are releasing a collaborative album.

I never really listened to Vile. I'll have to give a few of his albums a try.

Barnett's "Sometimes I Sit And Think..." is in my top 5 albums of the past 5 years (arbitrary distinction).

I'm guessing this will be good!

Oh nice

Top Bottom