• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

big ander

Anybody listen to Sneaks? Minimalist post-punk, first record (from sept 2016) is the only girl in it playing bass over a drum machine, second (march 2017) has the sound filled out a bit more with some more percussive and synth sounds. First is eh, sounds to me like Colleen Green doing Au Pairs covers, but the second is a lot nicer. Achieves that Liquid Liquid-style "big beat" a few times.
going along with the Twin Peaks vibes, I've always really loved this song

You'll Never Get to Heaven - By This River

also holy shit I just found out it's a Brian Eno cover
That's such a good Eno song. For more like that I highly recommend his collaborative records with Cluster (the band that cowrote By This River), Cluster & Eno and After the Heat.

Dead

well not really...yet
Got my vinyl copy of Crack Up today. Reallly excited to listen to it. Stayed away from all leaks and singles besides 3rd of may...

Dead

well not really...yet
Fuuuck. The new Fleet Foxes is so good I want to cry lol.

Please don't take another 6 years Robin!

YaBish

Yep, it's great.
Saw 'em back in April right after they released "Feel it Still". Felt really out of place compared to the rest of their set. Wish they would swing back around sometime soon so I could hear the rest of the new album live. I feel like it would mesh a lot better.

nomster

Saw 'em back in April right after they released "Feel it Still". Felt really out of place compared to the rest of their set. Wish they would swing back around sometime soon so I could hear the rest of the new album live. I feel like it would mesh a lot better.
Same here. First time seeing them live and yeah, it did seem a little out of place. They sounded great, though the singer has kind of a reserved stage presence.

Jon

I've seen them 6(?) times over the last 10 years, and the last tour they put together was probably the best I've ever seen them. The first show I saw they opened for Gatsbys American Dream in front of like 50 people, and now 10 years later, here they are. Very happy for them. Great great guys.

psyfi

Banned
Just started listening to the new Ride

The opening track is soooooooo good.
whoa I had no idea Ride is still around

I got into Nowhere a few years ago, and have never listened to their other stuff, I just assumed they were long gone. It looks like the new album is their first since 96? Rad. Checking it out now!

Edit : Anyone here like Eternal Summers? They're one of my favorite bands of recent years, especially their Gold and Stone album. Together or Alone is one of my fave tracks.

faridmon

The new Drums is Incredible
The new Ride is Incredible
The new Portugal The Man is Bloody Holyshit AOTY Incredible

All the Friday releases have been amazing

The new Drums is Incredible
The new Ride is Incredible
The new Portugal The Man is Bloody Holyshit AOTY Incredible

All the Friday releases have been amazing

I gotta say, I always thought the Drums were mediocre but this new album is making me think I wrote them off too soon.

faridmon

I gotta say, I always thought the Drums were mediocre but this new album is making me think I wrote them off too soon.

Their last album (encyclopedia) was rubbish, but I really liked their previous 2. Portmanteau is legit one of my favourite albums last decade.

I can see why people would not be into them (well him now since its a Solo act), but the wierd vacals and dreamy srurf pop melodies just resonate with me. Not to mention they were easy to listen to as well.

Dead

well not really...yet
Had no idea a new Chain Gang of 1974 album came out. Love it, might be his best. Its produced by Thom Powers of Naked and Famous and even features their lead singer on one of the tracks (my personal favorite)

lyrics hitting me like a ton of bricks though :lol

faridmon

Melody Echo Chamber have suffered a serious injury and had to cancel her show and won't book any in the foreseeable future.

Sad stuff, hope she pulls through

faridmon

Can't say I ever liked Portugal, wonder if this could convert me?

Its more poppy, but I guess if you didn't enjoy Evil Friends, then you will have hard time appreciating this. For the record, I didn't particular enjoy their albums before Evil Friends, but loved that one.

The new one is much catchy and all of its song have a great hooks. Its almost like they are rapping..

Try this. Noise Pollution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LNT9WdgaJE

Reckoner

Melody Echo Chamber have suffered a serious injury and had to cancel her show and won't book any in the foreseeable future.

Sad stuff, hope she pulls through

Hope she gets well soon

About Portugal. The Man, I used to enjoy them a lot back in 2009. Evil Friends didn't captivate me enough and, from what I listened of the new album, it is yet to grab me. I'll give it a full listen though.

Dead

well not really...yet
The new Slowdive is fantastic, but the new Ride is amazing to me. It's the album that should have followed GBA.

Ride were my first taste of shoegaze out of the main 3 when I was a teen, so they're a little closer to me than slowdive, I'm ecstatic that I love their new album so much. I especially can't get enough of the opening track.

faridmon

On a more disappointing note:

The new Wavves is Shit and the new Satellite Stories is even more disappointing.

About Portugal. The Man, I used to enjoy them a lot back in 2009. Evil Friends didn't captivate me enough and, from what I listened of the new album, it is yet to grab me. I'll give it a full listen though.

I would say you either like their older stuff and hate their newer stuff, or vice versa.I honestly don't think there are many on both camp

I know people who actually despise the band for Evil Friends and would not even contemplate touching Woodstock.

faridmon

New The Horrors Album ''V'' Out on September 22nd

The%20Horrors_V_2017.jpg

Tracklist

01 Hologram
02 Press Enter to Exit
03 Machine
04 Ghost
05 Two Way Mirror
06 Weighed Down
07 World Below
08 Gathering
09 It’s a Good Life
10 Something to Remember Me By

New Track : Machine

Hopefully its better than Luminous as it was disappointing. I am loving Machine, so thats a good start and I am feeling optimistic about the new one.

Dead

well not really...yet
I enjoyed Luminous, but yeah definitely a far cry from Primary Colors.

Cool album cover. Reminds me of Grimes though ;P

edit: loving this new track

A new Deerhoof album was just announced:
Though Deerhoof have often made albums from start to finish with virtually no input from the outside world, Mountain Moves throws the doors wide open, including contributions from Stereolab’s Læticia Sadier, Wye Oak's Jenn Wasner, Awkwafina, Juana Molina, Xenia Rubinos, and Matana Roberts, among others.

Pretty excited about that Juana Molina track, seems like the perfect collab.

I think the new Arcade Fire is the best of the three. New Washed Out is decent. At the very least, it's a treat to listen with headphones.

The Underside of Power is growing on me too. Between that, Xiu Xiu, Priests, Kite Base, and IDLES, post-punk is having a good year.

sasliquid

If I could bet on it I'd bet this is the first Arcade Fire album not to get Best New Music on Pitchfork and will generally be their worst reviewed album yet. And I love almost everything they've done.

Been enjoying the new 311 album, just a fun album. A track or two are quite a bit grating, but for me not to feel too warn out by an album with 17 tracks that is just over an hour long. Just a nice summer record for me.

Top Bottom