• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Hopefully we hear something finished from The National next year. Not very optimistic though, seem to remember from a recent interview that the three year album cycle isn't quite working for them anymore.

big ander

^definitely, I'd love another transitional EP too
Hi guys, i had a question: is Zwan considered indie?

Looks like they were on a major label for their one album so they're not by any strict definition. but I haven't listened to them and "indie" nowadays is usually used just to describe...kinda all rock music, honestly.

^definitely, I'd love another transitional EP too

Looks like they were on a major label for their one album so they're not by any strict definition. but I haven't listened to them and "indie" nowadays is usually used just to describe...kinda all rock music, honestly.

thanks! (pretty much smashing pumpkins 1/2)
when i listen to them people ask me what genre are they; but didn't know how to answer...

here's a song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7axMFSF7ZbU

in case you want to give it a whirl...

Linius

That new DIIV album lads

4TfeeGW.png

Linius

Can't say I can agree, really loved the first album. But this new one is more ambitious and probably better in every aspect so definitely give it a spin.

faridmon

Yeah the new DIIV tracks are hitting the right notes in me and Can't wait for the new album. I can see me listening to it for a long long time.

Hope DIIV gets included in Best Kept Secret line-up

King_Moc

Banned
New DIIV? Awesome. Just listened to 'Under The Sun', The Bunnyman is strong with this one. I actually thought they were going to launch into 'Lips Like Sugar' when it kicked in.

Finally got around to listen to Sufjan Steven's album after so many people had it in their album of the year lists. Really enjoyed it. Very atmospheric and the simple instrumentation suited it well. Now to scour other people's lists and get around to listening to more albums.

faridmon

I know, but if you guys post a list there, it would be good to post it here as well. Don't want to go through rubbish albums just to see yours :p

Here's mine from the other thread I posted 2 weeks ago, might add Sufjan and Kendrick's album when I actually have a chance to reassess it

1| Harmlessness | The World is a Beautiful Place & I'm not afraid to die
2| Time to go Home | Chastity Belt
3| My Love is Cool | Wolf Alice
4| All of Something | Sports
5| Sprained Ankle | Julien Baker
6| What Went Down | Foals
7| Thank Your Lucky Stars | Beach House
8| Anthems for Doomed Youth | The Libertines
9| Honeymoon | Lana Del Rey
10| Momentary Lapse of Happy | Adult Mom

S/O to albums from Beach House (First album of the year 'Depression Cherry'), Wavves, Chvrches, The Weeknd, Jamie XX, Bully and Mac Demarco who narrowly missed out

On second thought I might even add Jamie XX's and Charli XCX's albums as I enjoyed them during the summer when I listened to them regularly.

Mifune

Mehmber
I know I'm late but I just read Pitchfork's and that is one of the strangest Top 50s I've ever seen. Most of the entries make no effort to tell you what the damned thing even sounds like.

Also, like half of it is hip-hop, which is all well and good, but I don't think there's anyone who reads Pitchfork for the hip-hop reviews.

faridmon

Here's mine from the other thread I posted 2 weeks ago, might add Sufjan and Kendrick's album when I actually have a chance to reassess it

On second thought I might even add Jamie XX's and Charli XCX's albums as I enjoyed them during the summer when I listened to them regularly.

As much as I liked Wolf Alice, I don't think their album is top 20 for me. Its just too poppy and too clean for my liking. I liked what heard of Chastity belt, but I hate the fact that some of us actually like Charli XCX :(

Oh the new Wavves album is pretty dope.

Linius

1. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell
2. Kamasi Washington - The Epic
3. Protomartyr - The Agent Intellect
4. Ought - Sun Coming Down
5. Julia Holter - Have You In My Wilderness
6. Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, Sometimes I Just Sit
7. Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Style
8. Deerhunter - Fading Frontier
9. Viet Cong - Viet Cong
10. Beach House - Thank Your Lucky Stars

This is the list I submitted. But mind you, there's like a ton of honorable mentions I could toss in there. There was a lot of good stuff this year.

Huge insult to Kim Gordon and company here.

I don't know, I don't really care about Sky Fereira (or the band for that matter). As obsessed as they seem to be about this era indie rock, It's probably an hommage or something.

Anyway, there're some great riffs on this record. I love "Dust".

Steamlord

1. Timbre - Sun & Moon
2. Julia Holter - Have You in My Wilderness
3. Mount Eerie - Sauna
4. Julien Baker - Sprained Ankle
5. Hop Along - Painted Shut
6. BRAIDS - Deep in the Iris
7. Colin Stetson and Sarah Neufeld - Never Were the Way She Was
8. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
9. Noveller - Fantastic Planet
10. Low - Ones and Sixes

The whole damn thing

What's gigs are you guys going to this year? So far I've Foals next month, Wolf Alice and the 1975 in March and Glastonbury in June. I'm definitely gonna catch The Cure later on in the year as they haven't announced a date here yet so may just see them in Europe. Other than that there's a small festival I go to with a few friends that I'll probably go to again and I'd like to go to another festival depending on lineups (Maybe Reading or Benicassim).

King_Moc

Banned
What's gigs are you guys going to this year? So far I've Foals next month, Wolf Alice and the 1975 in March and Glastonbury in June. I'm definitely gonna catch The Cure later on in the year as they haven't announced a date here yet so may just see them in Europe. Other than that there's a small festival I go to with a few friends that I'll probably go to again and I'd like to go to another festival depending on lineups (Maybe Reading or Benicassim).

I haven't got much booked so far for this year. Glastonbury, Manic Street Preachers twice in May, Stone Roses in June and the Sunday of Field Day in London is all so far. I normally go to Primavera, which probably isn't going to happen this year, so will probably do Green Man Festival or something similar.

I'm hoping for a Radiohead tour too.

Reckoner

I already have a ticket for Primavera Sound in Porto and I'm also thinking about going to SBSR also in Portugal to see The National and Kendrick once again.

Will probably check out Hinds next week as they will be in my city for a show.

overcast

Tickets I already have:
Julia Holter (January)
Neon Indian (February)
Joanna Newsom (March)

Should be going to coachella for the first time this year since everything is lining up convenience wise with friends. Tickets go on sale this month. We got a good set up and it's likely fucking LCD will be there 🙏🏻🙏🏻

Chuck

Still without luck
In 1957, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, and Little RIchard all had their debut.

wow

not sure if this is belongs here, didn't know where else to post it.

Reckoner

You know guys

I wonder when Little Joy, now known as Hot Danny, release a new record. I love the three of them so much.

It's been awhile since they last gave out some info. I guess Fabrizzio is now busy with The Strokes, but Amarante and Binki should be available, since their last two releases came out two years ago.

Right now the only show I got lined up is Killing Joke with The Soft Moon opening.

Thought about The Cure, but it was expensive, a stadium show (which I don't attend much these days), and sold out in like 10 minutes. I've seen them a bunch previously though.

Top Bottom