• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Super Smash Bros. Brawl Singles Tournament #1

Firestorm

March 23rd is the start date. I want to give everyone a chance to unlock everything.

I still haven't unlocked all the stages, although they're stages I don't like anyway >_>;; Someone might counterpick them though!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Firestorm said:
March 23rd is the start date. I want to give everyone a chance to unlock everything.

I still haven't unlocked all the stages, although they're stages I don't like anyway >_>;; Someone might counterpick them though!
Like Big Blue? >.>

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Big Blue is such an awesome stage. I don't know why people decided to "omg ban" it, there's nothing random about it.

Haly

Crushed said:
Big Blue is such an awesome stage. I don't know why people decided to "omg ban" it, there's nothing random about it.
"Oh shit he spiked me onto the road. Better recover and jump back on a car...
...Crap"

At least the music is nice.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Halycon said:
"Oh shit he spiked me onto the road. Better recover and jump back on a car...
...Crap"
You'd die if there was just air there and no car and it was just floating in the sky anyway.

Haly

Crushed said:
You'd die if there was just air there and no car and it was just floating in the sky anyway.
True, but I like to think it takes more effort to spike someone off a stage like Yoshi's Island than punching someone off a car and laughing at them. At least it's better than the old Flat Zone.

Firestorm

Crushed said:

Not really, most of the spikes are actually meteors so they can be cancelled. And sometimes it's just an attack that lands you there which you die from. Does it still lag with 4 players like it did in Melee?

I really wouldn't want to play on those crazy stages for a tournament, especially online.

I would say Spear Pillar is the limit to the craziness that should be allowed in a tournament.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I'm curious, is there any sort of proposed solution for when two people in the tournament just can not connect to each other? Or if the lag is so horrible as to be realistically unplayable?

HotByCold

Banned
slayn said:
I'm curious, is there any sort of proposed solution for when two people in the tournament just can not connect to each other? Or if the lag is so horrible as to be realistically unplayable?
I suppose one could always switch opponents.

Firestorm

slayn said:

I'm fairly sure both cases would be due to issues with someone's router. I've actually had a playable match with SantaC in Europe. I'm on the west coast of Canada. I highly, highly recommend everyone before the match sets their Wii to DMZ and changes the wireless channel to 11. Check out the Wireless help thread in the Gaming Forum.

Haly

Would a virtual LAN client work for the Wii? Like Hamachi?

slayn

Firestorm said:
I'm fairly sure both cases would be due to issues with someone's router. I've actually had a playable match with SantaC in Europe. I'm on the west coast of Canada. I highly, highly recommend everyone before the match sets their Wii to DMZ and changes the wireless channel to 11. Check out the Wireless help thread in the Gaming Forum.

I've done all that, and yet I've never been able to connect to you, for example, even though I connect all the time to people in cali (and I'm on the mid east coast).

I also have a friend I play in Washington where some days the lag is ok (minor input lag) and some days the match is just unplayable.

edit:
I don't know that I will necessarily have a problem, but given the large amount of people in the tournament, something like this is bound to come up. I just want to make sure it is at least thought about beforehand.

Firestorm

You can still sign up as a substitute but:

Round 1 (Deadline: March 25th at 11:00 PM Pacific [6:00 AM GMT])

Ok. So because we have 128 entrants (max I was allowing), I've done the brackets. This is waaay before the official start date, but I think it's good to give this information out now. This way, I can figure out who's forgotten the tournament exists and substitute as necessary. Nobody is obligated to battle until Sunday March 23rd. You may do your battle early, but neither party has to do so yet. You still have until March 23rd to start. Oh and even if you lose this round, YOU ARE NOT OUT OF THE TOURNAMENT! So please do continue to check back in this thread. You have to lose TWO sets to lose in the tournament. That is lose at least 4 matches.

PM your opponent and then post here once you have done so. If you receive a PM, reply to the PM and post here. I need to know how the communication is going. PLEASE read the rules over again. Do not deviate from the rules.

This round, the neutral stage used for the first round will be: Yoshi's Island (Brawl, not Melee)

Network Tips
If you are having trouble connecting to opponents or have lag in your matches:
- set your router's wireless channel to 1 or 11
- forward ports to your Wii
- set your Wii to DMZ

- manually give your Wii the following DNS: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

Another tip is to before playing your match, do a 1 minute match or something with characters you don't plan on using (or Random) to see how the connection is. If it's bad, try and fix it or try again later. Remember to communicate this to your opponent BEFORE the match if you want to do this. If you lag during the match and neither party agreed to a test battle, the battle still counts (assuming you followed the rules).

Jiggy

Imageshack banned yo. >_>

Edit: I look highly forward to getting murdered by some combination of other GAFers' skill, my own suicides, and lag! No sarcasm.

Nabster92

Are there any banned stages for this tourney or are we just going with anything for counterpicks for now?

Edit: Dur...sorry, I shall read more thoroughly next time. Think I got confused as I vaguely remember seeing Firestorm post a set list somewhere for banned and counterpick stages and such.

Anyways I sent my PM out just now.

scottnak

Nabster92 said:
Are there any banned stages for this tourney or are we just going with anything for counterpicks for now?
Rules state no banned stages.

Ahh... man... I'm adjacent to Crushed in the groupings... how exciting.

slayn

I am a moron and I do not understand your chart.

first I play Kusagari. Say I win against him, and then face Scribble, and win against him. Then I go on to fight... the letter K?

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Hmm... this "The Walking Man" is a mysterious figure, hiding in shadows.

A Kirby player, eh. I MUST BREAK HIM

Jiggy37 said:

Edit: I look highly forward to getting murdered by some combination of other GAFers' skill, my own suicides, and lag! No sarcasm.
Ah man. I have to face you in the second round IF I win my first, and you win yours as well. I hate this :(. I didn't want my rematch in the tournament :(.

slayn said:
I am a moron and I do not understand your chart.

first I play Kusagari. Say I win against him, and then face Scribble, and win against him. Then I go on to fight... the letter K?

if you win you play the winner of Fenix vs Scribble, then so on and so forth.

PMed opponent

slayn

funkmastergeneral said:
if you win you play the winner of Fenix vs Scribble, then so on and so forth.

PMed opponent
I meant after that. If I beat the winner of Fenix v Scribble. The line for my next opponent points to the letter K rather than any of the other matchups.

edit:

oh I get it... maybe. Do I then face K from the loser's bracket?

edit2:

I am a dumbass, I was going left as the 'winners' bracket, and that fucked me up royally.

Firestorm

Jiggy37 said:

Imageshack frog is banned. It's a thumbnail and in the online forum so it shouldn't die.

Nabster92 said:

Edit: Dur...sorry, I shall read more thoroughly next time. Think I got confused as I vaguely remember seeing Firestorm post a set list somewhere for banned and counterpick stages and such.

Anyways I sent my PM out just now.

No banned stages. That list was my prediction for eventual bans and stuff. This tournament will run with all stages on for counterpick. Remember to pick Yoshi's Island this round for neutral though!

slayn said:
I meant after that. If I beat the winner of Fenix v Scribble. The line for my next opponent points to the letter K rather than any of the other matchups.

edit:

oh I get it... maybe. Do I then face K from the loser's bracket?

edit2:

I am a dumbass, I was going left as the 'winners' bracket, and that fucked me up royally.

Don't look too far ahead. I'll update the bracket every round don't worry.

OliveJuice said:
PM'd.

My friends list is almost full, again :(.

You'll probably have to delete the opponent after playing like I'm gonna have to do =/

Arol said:
PM'd

Also, since there isn't a time limit, are we following some honor system on stalling tactics?

Yeah, although there's no need to stall because there's no time limit and you can't win that way.

Jiggy

PM sent. Picked Pokemon Stadium 1 as my stage if I lose.

Edit: My favorite neutral stage is actually Yoshi's Island, but I'm not about to take that twice. >_> I also like Lylat Cruise a bit more than Pokemon Stadium, if for no other reason than the music, but I figure that if I lose, I might need something with just enough elements of randomness that I might be able to win the next time around. In the end it was either Pokemon Stadium or Delfino Plaza, but I couldn't risk Delfino on the off-chance that he still had that terrible Delfino Plaza music set to anything other than a 0% chance of playing. Yes, I care about music!

Edit 2: Because, you see, if I were to play on Delfino Plaza set to the Delfino Plaza music, I would be a loser even if I won.

Top Bottom