• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Votes: Top 50 Nintendo Games of All Time (2016 Edition)

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; Galaxy 1 blew me away when it first came out and while 2 didn't really do the same due to how familiar it was, I gotta say it's the better game of the two due to less fat, more creative levels, and higher difficulty.
2. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption ; This game's controls are still unparalleled and make it so fun to play that it edges out Prime 1 just slightly as my favorite Metroid game.
3. Metroid Prime ;
4. Xenoblade Chronicles ; Greatest RPG I've ever played. I rarely get into games in the genre enough to finish them, but Xenoblade had its hooks in me from the very start and I beat it twice, doing everything it had to offer the second time.
5. Super Mario 64 ;
6. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; The definitive Smash Bros. experience (at least in terms of multiplayer). Ridiculous roster and gameplay that just feels right.
7. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island ;
8. Super Metroid ;
9. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance ; Best FE game ever for me (followed closely by its sequel). I love the characters, the world, the difficulty, the mechanics... everything.
10. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ;

Gartooth

1. Super Mario Galaxy ; I sometimes hear about that "Nintendo magic" their games have, and no other game speaks more truly to that than Galaxy 1. At the time it was groundbreaking with spherical levels and gravity mechanics that felt simple but also provided a huge amount of depth. It had a gorgeous artstyle on the Wii, a breathtaking score, and a surprising addition in the storybook that added more character to a Mario game. I also love the more balanced approach to a linear Mario game while also keeping elements reminiscent of SM64, something that Galaxy 2 ignored in favor of a more streamlined experience. I don't think I binged a game quite as hard on release as Galaxy 1, and I think it will be a very long time before I do so again.

2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
; So much has been said about this game that I almost feel its impossible to say anything more. Its easy to take this game for granted, but it laid the core foundation for the formula that kept Zelda going for three generations. Its revolutionary lock-on mechanics are used by games even today and feel like an invaluable asset in action games. It also had the novel time travel mechanic that helped give the world a lot of depth and lent itself to the story quite nicely. This game felt in every sense of the word "epic" when I played it on N64 and fully delivered on being the best adventure of its time.

3. Banjo-Kazooie
; I think that this could have been the game that turned video games from a casual enjoyment into my main hobby. I played other games before Banjo-Kazooie, but none ever sunk its hooks so deep into me that I couldn't stop thinking about the game after I turned it off. The game opens up with simple mechanics and levels, but soon enough I was met with incredible depth by expanding the main duo's moves, interacting with charimatic NPCs, exploring every nook and cranny of massive levels, and listening to my favorite OST in gaming. I consider this game the crown jewel of Rare's history and my favorite collectathon platformer ever.

4. Super Metroid
; I think this is the textbook definition of a flawless game. The design of its map is so expertly woven and ingenious I sometimes wonder how many times developers played this game to perfect it. It strikes the fantastic balance between a perfect playtime for the game while providing tons of replay values with the amount of collectibles and the allure of speed running. The first time I ever played this was on the Wii Virtual Console so without any nostalgia this game still made it to my top 5. The action also felt exhilarating despite the limited buttons, as I shot missiles and charged up beams and intimidating bosses.

5. Super Mario 64
; It is probably heresy to put this below Banjo, but this does not at all lessen my absolute love for Super Mario 64. This is one of those games that provides instant entertainment as you start up, where playing as Mario is one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences out there. It laid the foundation for practically every 3D game out there with the likes of its camera mechanics, that sometimes I forget this game's influence. The levels are also something I took for granted, but seeing a pro speedrunner blaze through Tick Tock Clock always gives me new appreciation for the game.

6. Super Mario Bros.
; Before I re-evaluated my list this was originally my number 1 game. While Super Mario Bros. isn't my favorite Nintendo game, I probably appreciate it above all else. I believe it was the turning point in which Nintendo became a legendary developer, and this game's mechanics are so strong that it set the template of dozen's of other franchises including Mario's own games decades later. I was born around 10 years after this game came out, so out of the oldest games I have played this has the honor of being the best. A majority of the NES library never held up for me due to aging hardware and old mechanics, but Super Mario Bros. has a timeless appeal that most other NES games lack.

7. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
; I have always had a hard time deciding between this game and Tropical Freeze for my favorite Donkey Kong game, but after playing this again last year I firmly became a part of the DKC2 camp. It is an absolute masterpiece and the game that I think put Rare on the map. Donkey Kong Country was a solid game that laid the roadmap and gave the series a lot of attention, but Diddy's Kong Quest truly gave the series its own identity from the arcade Donkey Kong of old. Diddy and Dixie made the perfect platforming duo, and the game has some incredible art and one of the best soundtracks ever.

8. Super Smash Bros. Melee ; This is one of the greatest couch multiplayer experiences of my life and probably has the most time on its save file than any other game I own. I remember playing all the characters hundreds of time, studying all the different levels inside and out, and then deciding to throw all that knowledge out the window as I engaged in the mayhem of a four player Bob-omb battle. The amount of content in this game felt extraordinary at the time as my jaw dropped at fighting Mewtwo, I scratched my head when seeing Marth, and I snatched at any new trophy I could collect. The fast mechanics and nature of the game makes this my favorite Smash to this day.

9. Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow ; I was growing up during the Pokemon craze that consumed children all over the world. In every sense of the word Pokemon was like a drug to children, and I begged my parents over and over to finally get a Gameboy just for this game. The simple turn based RPG mechanics provided the gateway to a great gaming experience, while the different Pokemon and community features like trading ensured its longevity. I spent hours in the Safari Zone of Game Corner trying to "Catch 'em all" and built different team rosters to battle the Champion with. This game is so addicting that I dropped every new game I had around February this year after playing Red on my 3DS for 2 hours... the game ended up holding onto me for 50 more hours after that.

10. Perfect Dark
; Rare took the already incredible Goldeneye and ended up running so many circles around it that it looked like a dinosaur when Perfect Dark came out. This game has so many features that it puts most modern shooters to shame, and it bar none has some of the best attention to detail for a game from its era. Mechanics like alternative fire paired with innovative weapons like the Laptop Gun and the Far Sight created an unforgettable arsenal of weapons. The campaign also provided great replay value with various objectives scattered through the map, combined with great co-op and counter-op gameplay. That isn't even touching the multiplayer aspect of the game which is hands down the best its generation of games had to offer.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Super Smash Bros. Melee
3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4. Metroid Prime
5. Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver
6. Super Mario World
7. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
8. Super Smash Bros for 3DS/Wii U
9. Super Metroid
10. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

These are just my initial opinions. I might update later if I think of more games.

1).Mario 64
2) Mario Kart 64
3) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time
4) Banjo Kazooie
5) Super Mario Bros 3
6) Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
7) 1080° Snowboarding
8) Goldeneye 64
9) Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
10) Mario Galaxy

Vuapol

There are a few Virtual Console titles I have recently purchased that I will be playing soon that could certainly make their way onto this list before the deadline (Earthbound, Super Metroid, LttP, OoT, etc.), so it's certainly subject to change. I'll edit this post later then with thoughts. And knowing me I'll probably forget an obvious title or two or three so there's that as well.

1. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island ; The greatest Platformer of All Time, bar none. Gorgeous Storybook Pixel Art, Fantastic Tunes and one hell of an incentive to never let an enemy lay a finger on you come together in a game that just oozes creativity. My favorite game ever.
2. Pokémon Platinum ; Pokémon is my favorite gaming series and it could've taken up half the list, so I stuck with one. This is the entry where everything just worked perfectly. Sinnoh is my most beloved region, the Pokémon selection varied, the final boss epic, the post game content significant, and I could leave this OST on repeat for days. An incredible high in a series filled with them.
3. Pikmin 2 ;
4. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky ; The Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series holds a special place in my heart for getting me through some tough times, and Explorers of Sky is the pinnacle. EoS has a heart wrenching roller coaster of a story that puts the mainline games to shame, along with an incredibly moving soundtrack highlighted by my favorite final boss theme in a Nintendo game and more gorgeous pixel art. This game is a gem, and it is a damn shame more people haven't played it.
5. Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon ;
6. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door ;
7. Super Mario World
8. Wario Land 4
9. Super Smash Bros. Wii U
10. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So I'm going to do this thing where I try really hard not to just list four Mario platformers and a bunch of Metroid games and sprinkle in some Zelda, and attempt to spread this around to different franchises.

1. Super Metroid ; It's honestly the closest thing to a perfect video game that I've ever played.

2. Super Mario Galaxy ; "Hey, let's take the single biggest example of a known quantity in all of video games, and then just blow everybody's FUCKING minds."

3. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess ; Ocarina was more revolutionary, Majora was more off-the-wall, and Wind Waker was more charming, but for me Twilight Princess is just the peak of Zelda series execution.

4. F-Zero GX ; It's the best racing game ever made, period. It will utterly destroy you at times, but that just makes that moment when you have the perfect race all the more satisfying.

5. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door ; This is the peak of all the Mario spinoffs. Take the best example of the Mario RPG style timing-based combat, marry it to a really fun story and fantastic characters, and you have an utterly fantastic RPG.

6. Xenoblade Chronicles ; You can almost consider this a tie with TTYD above. It's a fantastic, ridiculously ambitious JRPG on the Wii. The world is fantastic, the music is incredible, the combat is really fun, and there are a million things going on but it never feels like too much.

7. Metroid Prime ; I just cannot leave this game off this list. It's just as masterful a translation of a 2D franchise to 3D gameplay as Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time. The whole trilogy is fantastic.

8. Elite Beat Agents ; You could also slot Ouendan in here, as it's the same franchise. Easily the best thing to come out of Nintendo's touchscreen-centered handhelds, and that's saying a lot. Arguably the best rhythm game of all time.

9. Punch-Out!! (Wii) ; The classic boxing/puzzle/boss rush series had its best version on the Wii. The gameplay was sublime, the animation was incredible, it's just great.

10. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance ; This is my favorite SRPG, just edging out the GBA version. Another great franchise from Nintendo.

I had to leave off so many amazing games, y'all.

Nintendo is fucking incredible.

FelipeMGM

1. Super Metroid
2. Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal
3. The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past
4. Super Mario 64
5. Donkey Kong Country 2
6. Super Mario Galaxy 2
7. Earthbound
8. The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask
9. The Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker
10. Golden Sun

Geez, this is so hard. Cant believe Im letting out Ocarina of Time and all of the Metroid Prime's.

TheMagicMax

Neo Member
1. Xenoblade Chronicles;
2. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door;
3. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn;
4. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance;
5. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD;
6. Xenoblade Chronicles X;
7. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U;
8. Super Mario Galaxy;
9. Super Mario Sunshine;
10. Bayonetta 2;

List might change a bit. Will probably add Fire Emblem Fates.

1. Xenoblade Chronicles X
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. The Wonderful 101
4. Super Smash Brothers for Wii U
5. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
6. Wii Sports Resort
7. Wii Fit U
8. Nintendo Land
9. WarioWare Mircogames Inc.
10. Splatoon

Matsukaze

1. Super Mario 64 ; I don't really know what can be said about Super Mario 64 that has not been said a thousand times. Put simply, it's a titan of the N64 and a masterpiece.
2. Pokemon Yellow ; Growing up, I had to wait to get my hands on a Pokemon game, so while everyone was catching em all in Blue and Red, I was biding my time. Then along comes Yellow and my patience was rewarded. Yellow is fantastic and being able to team up with Pikachu from the beginning of the game was amazing to the young me.
3. Super Metroid ; Metroid typically does a great job producing a distinct mood and Super Metroid is probably the best in the series at drawing the player in and keeping you going "Just another ten minutes, then I'll call it a night... ok, just another ten minutes or so... well, I have enough time for another twenty minutes or so...". Once it hooks you, it doesn't let go.
4. Metroid Fusion ; A lot of people give Fusion flak, but I thought it was really enjoyable. Avoiding the SA-X really made an already dangerous situation feel even more tense. Fusion produces a really distinct atmosphere playing through it and I love it.
5. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask ; The first Zelda game I ever played and also the best. I admit that I've never been the biggest LoZ guy, but Majora's Mask was an awesome experience.
6. Pokemon Silver ; Pokemon Yellow might be my gold medalist Pokemon game, but Silver takes the... silver (sorry for the pun). It built up from the foundation set by the first gen games and gave players a superior alternative to Ho-Oh. :p
7. Super Smash Bros. Melee ; I love all the Smash Bros games, but if you want to talk about how many sheer hours I have thrown at each of them, Melee takes the lead by a wide margin. Again, this is nostalgia-driven to some extent, but Melee really does provide an amazing amount of entertainment for the size of its roster.
8. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! ; This was one of the first games to introduce me to the idea of a video game frustrating me and wiping the floor with me. Punch-Out!! is a great game that caused me no small amount of worry as I tried to overcome getting annihilated by Tyson.
9. Metroid Prime ; I'll be honest - I am not as gaga for Prime as many Metroid fans are, but all the same it was a lot of fun and gave me all I wanted in a Metroid experience in terms of atmosphere and action.
10. F-Zero X ; So many fun memories playing this with my best friends in elementary school. Super exhilarating.

1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past;
2. Super Mario Bros 3;
3. Super Metroid;
4. Star Fox 64;
5. Super Mario 64;
6. Super Smash Bros for Wii U;
7. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze;
8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds;
9. Fire Emblem: Awakening;
10. Super Mario World;

This is just an initial draft. There's probably going to be changes - on the other hand these were the first ten Nintendo games to pop into my head as my favorites, so maybe it won't change that much either.

Raylan

Banned
1. Zelda: Link's Awakening
2. Zelda: A Link to the Past
3. Super Mario Kart
4. Wave Race
5. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
6. Metroid II: Return of Samus
7. Super Mario Land
8. Balloon Fight
9. Super Metroid
10: Kirby's Dreamland

Nintenleo

This is so hard. Well, I'll give it a shot.

1. Super Mario World
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4. Metroid Prime
5. Super Mario Bros 3
6. Super Metroid
7. Pikmin 3
8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
9. Pokèmon Silver and Gold
10. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Makonero

1. Mario Galaxy 2 ; Simply the best game ever made.
2. Mother 3 ; Barely second best. One of the most heartrending games I've ever played.
3. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker ; My absolute favorite Zelda game. I hope Breath of the Wild has the same sense of wonder and exploration.
4. Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal ; A refinement of the original Pokemon games with the same wonderful aesthetic and more content than ever before. I spent half my childhood playing Gold and I have no regrets whatsoever.
5. Xenoblade X ; A toss-up between this and the original, but the systems, the world, and the subtle storytelling makes this game win out. There was a long pause when I played the original (a two year gap if I remember right) and the fact that there was no such gap with the sequel tells me that they did something right.
6. Endless Ocean 2: Blue World ; The refinement and enhancement of the original. I love the side missions, the varied locales, and the overall joy of exploration that's found here.
7. Metroid Fusion ; Yes, yes, this poor game is so often maligned because it isn't exactly as nonlinear as other games in the series, but this is a perfect Metroid for someone who has never played one before. You can still get lost, you can still sequence break, and the mechanics are tight and fun. God, I love this game.
8. Pikmin 2 ; The first game had me stressed out due to the time limit, so I never finished it. The third game had a mediocre and forgettable single player mode (made up for by its beauty and the wonderful 2-player challenge mode). Pikmin 2 is the most fun I've ever had with the series and I hope that Pikmin 4 is closer to this than the others.
9. Splatoon ; The newest kid on the block, but what a debut! Fantastic in every way. A few frustrations here and there that I'm sure will be worked out in the inevitable sequel.
10. Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga ; Out of all the Mario RPGs, I had a really hard time picking one. But this one with its goofy humor, a unique world (not the Mushroom Kingdom for once!) and the robust battle system takes the cake. This was long before the innumerable tutorials and ridiculous hand-holding.

Honorable mentions:
Smash Brothers - How could I choose just one? So many hours of fun with friends.
Mario Kart - Again, impossible to choose just one in the series.
Paper Mario/Thousand Year Door - These were a toss-up with Superstar Saga and while I love them both, they both have flaws that kept them off my list.
Tokyo Mirage Sessions - I'm sure that this will be on my list in the future, but I haven't finished it yet. What a fantastic game.

Sephzilla

1. Super Mario Bros. 3
  2. Super Mario 64
  3. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  4. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  5. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  6. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong-Quest
  7. Super Mario World
  8. Pokemon Red/Blue (I think it's dumb to separate these two, if you have to pick one, pick Blue)
  9. Mario Kart 8
  10. Super Smash Brothers (N64)
Mario 3 is still the undisputed king of platformers

Makonero

It's funny because these lists almost always represent your first loves of Nintendo. I know my list is littered with GBA and Gamecube games because that's when I first really got into Nintendo games.

Bayonetta 2 ?__?

I thought the rules said no 3rd party games. Sure, the game is exclusive because Nintendo funded it but that doesn't mean it is a Nintendo game. At least that's my opinion about including Bayo 2, Devil's Third or Sin and Punishment.

Who

Banned
1. Super Smash Bros 4
2. Super Smash Bros. Melee
3. The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker
4. The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
5. The Legend of Zelda Majoras Mask
6. The Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds
7. Donkey Kong Country Trooical Freeze
8. Donkey Kong Country Returns
9. Super Mario 64
10. Super Mario Galaxy 2

*looks away and presses enter*

ZombAid82

1. Metroid Prime
2. Super Metroid
3. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
4. Super Mario World
5. Super Mario Bros. 3
6. Mario Kart 8
7. Rhythm Tengoku
8. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
9. WarioWare Mircogames Inc.
10. Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan

Harder than I thought, to narrow it down to ten.
x. Bayonetta 2 for not counting, normally 9th

Khrno

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2. GoldenEye 007
3. Super Mario 64
4. Fire Emblem Awakening
5. Xenoblade Chronicles
6. Advance Wars
7. Golden Sun
8. Super Mario Kart
9. Eternal Darkness
10. Donkey Kong Country

1. Golden Sun 2
2. Golden Sun
3. Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword
4. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
5. Xenoblade Chronicles
6. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
7. Advance Wars
8. Super Smash Brothers Melee
9. Pokemon Gold/Silver
10. Elite Beat Agens/Ouendan

Love this! Here's mine:

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; the most polished, complete, epic video game they've ever published.
2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; This is Nintendo at their best. Constantly updated, more features than you can handle, incredible attention to detail. Will age like fine wine too.
3. Mario Kart DS ; revolutionized multiplayer gaming to me, particularly in the handheld space. Even snaking was fun as hell.
4. Pokemon Fire Red Version ; At its core, the top-tier Pokemon experience all things considered. Best gen, best pacing, offers variety without being too burdened with irrelevant features.
5. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 ; The first meticulously stylized, emotionally stirring game I played that made me reconsider what a great game is made of. First video game to make me cry.
6. Pikmin ; I had such a sense of wonder playing this, it's a feeling we all covet when we play a new game. The most original franchise they ever developed. Complete 100% innovation from the ground up, and made with love.
7. Metroid Prime ; No surprise this is on here, and it was one of the first games where I felt completely immersed in the experience, almost in a stressful way. I pretty much felt helpless and unequipped most of the game, which is what made it so thrilling.
8. Super Mario Galaxy ; I thought about not including this since Galaxy 2 is such an iterative sequel and pretty much does everything better, but the original has a place in my heart for wowing me more than anything else at the time. It still has the greatest level of any video game I've played, so that counts for something.
9. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess ; One of Nintendo's isolated moments where they took on fans' gargantuan expectations head on, and delivered in spades. Isn't considered the best in the franchise because a lot of it felt derivative of Ocarina of Time, but it's Nintendo's most ambitious project ever.
10. F-Zero GX ; This game was impossibly gorgeous for its time and has still aged well. Mechanics are on point, levels are stunning, and story mode was crushing. CRUSHING.

And just for kicks, some of my honorable mentions:

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Mario Party 2
Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Mario Kart 8
Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Nintendogs

mrmickfran

Love this! Here's mine:

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; the most polished, complete, epic video game they've ever published.
2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; This is Nintendo at their best. Constantly updated, more features than you can handle, incredible attention to detail. Will age like fine wine too.
3. Mario Kart DS ; revolutionized multiplayer gaming to me, particularly in the handheld space. Even snaking was fun as hell.
4. Pokemon Fire Red Version ; At its core, the top-tier Pokemon experience all things considered. Best gen, best pacing, offers variety without being too burdened with irrelevant features.
5. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 ; The first meticulously stylized, emotionally stirring game I played that made me reconsider what a great game is made of. First video game to make me cry.
6. Pikmin ; I had such a sense of wonder playing this, it's a feeling we all covet when we play a new game. The most original franchise they ever developed. Complete 100% innovation from the ground up, and made with love.
7. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney ; Introduced me to the point and click franchise, has incredible pacing, great characters, megaton drama moments. So many memories playing through this.
8. Metroid Prime ; No surprise this is on here, and it was one of the first games where I felt completely immersed in the experience, almost in a stressful way. I pretty much felt helpless and unequipped most of the game, which is what made it so thrilling.
9. Super Mario Galaxy ; I thought about not including this since Galaxy 2 is such an iterative sequel and pretty much does everything better, but the original has a place in my heart for wowing me more than anything else at the time. It still has the greatest level of any video game I've played, so that counts for something.
10. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess ; One of Nintendo's isolated moments where they took on fans' gargantuan expectations head on, and delivered in spades. Isn't considered the best in the franchise because a lot of it felt derivative of Ocarina of Time, but it's Nintendo's most ambitious project ever.

Ace Attorney is a Capcom game, not Nintendo.

1. Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
2. Super Smash bros Melee
3. Pokemon Silver/Gold
4. Super Mario World
5. Yoshi's Island
6. Mario 3
7. Mario 64
8. Legend of Zelda Link to the Past
9. Donkey Kong Country 2 Diddy's Kong Quest
10. Super Smash bros for Wii U

cyba89

This is really tough but let's try it:

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
2. The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time (N64)
3. Super Mario World (SNES)
4. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
5. Super Metroid (SNES)
6. Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)
7. Pokémon Gold/Silver (GB)
8. The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past (SNES)
9. Super Mario Maker (WiiU)
10. Paper Mario (N64)

Recent titles that almost got into the list:
TLoZ: A Link Between Worlds, Mario Kart 8, Smash 4, DKC: Tropical Freeze

TheJoRu

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - The greatest game ever created. Neither Nintendo or anyone else has come close.
2. Super Mario Galaxy - The greatest platformer ever created. Combines crazy good controls and design with an incredible atmosphere, thanks to the beautiful graphics, music and tone.
3. Super Mario 64 - A masterpiece whose controls has never been surpassed (not even by the game above).
4. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - The 2D equivalent of what Super Mario Galaxy is to me. Great controls and great level designs that is heightened by incredible production values, atmosphere and insane polish. I love how the game is designed for speed runs and replayability, deepening my love for this game.
5. Splatoon - If anything comes close to the uniqueness and quality of Super Mario 64's controls and mechanics at the time it's Splatoon. A new IP that basically nails everything it set out to do on the first try. It's an incredibly fresh-feeling game, and it knows it very well.
6. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - This game is basically "How to make charming games 101". The writing is superb; the aesthetics, the music much the same. Really solid gameplay, too.
7. Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Improves some things from the first game, and retains most of its qualities, but loses out on some of the atmosphere in terms of the story, the smaller hub world and not quite as good music. Still one of the best 3D platformers ever, which speaks incredibly highly of the level design and the core quality of Galaxy's design and Mario platformers in general.
8. Pikmin 3 - A huge triumph in charm and replayability. An extremely pretty and well-designed game that finds its strength in its special atmosphere and the well-tuned gameplay. The strength of the core gameplay becomes especially apparent in the Mission Mode, where the strategy of dividing troops and performing tasks optimally is deepened to an incredible degree. Completing a mission with Platinum rank is a near euphoric feeling, and very rewarding.
9. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - As might be apparent now I'm a sucker for games with a strong sense of atmosphere. While the short development time of MM shows in some aspects of the gameplay and dungeon design its undercooked nature does serve its story, its characters and overall world very well. Seeing those OoT character models pop up again in Termina, often in a sort of twisted manner compared to their "earlier" selves, is quite unsettling and is only one aspect of what makes this off-beat, weird game shine.
10. Animal Crossing - The thing about Animal Crossing is that some of its essential elements is what's going on when you're not playing it. It's the anticipation of waiting for the next thing to happen, the next day. Because of the longevity you grow connected to your town and its inhabitants. The first game (the GC one, I'm considering Animal Forest and Animal Crossing to be basically the same) is the best because of novelty factor, the NES games and because I really like the visuals of specifically that game.

Honorable Mentions:

Mario Kart 8
Super Smash Bros. Melee
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Super Mario World
Diddy Kong Racing
Banjo-Kazooie

1. Super Metroid
2. Super Mario World
3. Earthbound
4. Super Mario Galaxy
5. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
6. Super Mario 64
7. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
8. Pokemon Red/Blue
9. Super Smash Bros. Melee
10. Metroid Prime

1.Super Mario 64
2.Pokemon Silver
3.Rhythm Heaven
4.Super Mario Sunshine
5.Super Smash Bros: Melee
6.Splatoon
7.Elite Beat Agents
8.Super Mario World
9.Pokemon Red
10.Mario Kart 8

Banned
2. Metroid Prime
3. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kongquest
4. Super Mario World
5. Pokemon Gold
6. Xenoblade Chronicles
7. Super Smash Bros. Melee
8. Super Mario Galaxy
9. Super Metroid
10. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

1. Super Metroid
2. Super Mario Bros 3
3. Splatoon
4. Super Mario Land 2: The 6 Golden Coins
5. Mario 64
6. Goldeneye
7. Bayonetta 2
8. WaveRace 64
9. Donkey Kong Country
10. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out

Honorable Mentions:
Pilotwings (SNES)
Star Fox
Super Smash Bros Wii U
Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze
Duck Hunt
Super Punch Out
Killer Instinct (SNES)
Killer Instinct Gold
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Regiruler

Last Story and Pandora's Tower are japan-only? Wasn't rainfall successful?

This list is going to be difficult for me.

EDIT: Sin & Punishment has inconsistent formatting across the two games.

Hansel

Banned
1. Mother 3
2. Advance Wars: Dual Strike
3. Fire Emblem: Awakening
4. Paper Mario
5. Pokémon HeartGold Version
6. Metroid Prime
7. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
8. Pikmin
9. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
10. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Salty Hippo

1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Donkey Kong Country 2
3. GoldenEye 007
4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
5. Super Mario Galaxy
6. Super Mario 64
7. Animal Crossing
8. Kirby's Canvas Curse
9. Pikmin
10. Mario Kart DS

Moppeh

Banned
1. Earthbound
2. The Wind Waker
4. Mother 3
5. Ocarina of Time
6. Super Smash Bros. Melee
7. Link To The Past
8. Donkey Kong
9. Super Mario Bros. 3
10. Pokemon Crystal

MoonFrog

Hmmm...I've enjoyed too many Nintendo games in my time (SNES/GB onwards); going to try to stick to two per franchise :p. I feel I'm not doing the catalog any justice with just these ten, but...

1- Metroid Prime ; My favorite game of all time. Classic Metroid game play and flow brought into an immersive 3D, first-person game.
2- Super Metroid ; Classic Metroid game play and flow, where evolving gameplay (instead of, say, story) is used to funnel the player through a tightly designed labyrinth.
3- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time ; Zelda in 3D, Lock-on, the music, the time-travel, the Ganondorf origin story, Zelda as an actual character, etc. I played this classic late (on GCN) as I never had an N64, and it totally lived up to its billing.
4- Fire Emblem Path of Radiance ; I've played this game a lot. Its a classic tale done incredibly compentently with a lot of heart with a particularly strong cast of characters for the series, especially Ike and Soren. This was also the series taking a step forward again after the more conservative and simple GBA games.
5- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past ; The first game I ever played, if not the first I finished. This is what I took to be a cool, stylish, and serious single player experience and probably why this list and a list of my favorite games is dominated by Nintendo-style adventure games where progress is through gaining gadgets, solving puzzles, and killing bosses.
6- Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
7- Super Mario World
8- Fire Emblem Seisen no Keifu
9- Super Mario Galaxy
10- Super Smash Brothers Melee

Honorable Mentions

Earthbound
Fire Emblem Fuuin no Tsurugi
Kirby's Super Star
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Metroid II: Return of Samus
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Pokemon Gold and Silver

Jamix012

1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask ; My favourite game of all time. Absolutely unique and captivating, even to this day.
2. Kid Icarus: Uprising ;
3. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker ;
4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time ;
5. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword ; I am aware this list is pretty Zelda heavy, but it's my favourite series and I think Skyward sword is underappreciated.
6. Super Mario Sunshine ;
7. Banjo Kazooie ;
8. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap ;
9. Bayonetta 2 ;
10. Golden Sun ;

ChaosXVI

Bayonetta 2 is totally eligible. Not only was it published by Nintendo but they paid for it to be made and while IP is still with Sega, Nintendo owns that game.

Raylan

Banned
Nintendo funded it. So they basicly helped development.

But it is a third party title, like Devil's Third. You said only Nintendo titles.

Street Fighter V isn't a Sony title. Dead Rising 4 isn't a Microsoft title. They're third party titles.

Regiruler

Everyone who puts the original prime over prime 2 needs to be slapped.

It's simply the better game and has aged better to boot.

This is sooo difficult. I'm limiting my list to two Zelda games (because I can't decide between OOT and MM), and to one game for all other franchises. And I'm not listing Bayonetta 2 because it's a Platinum game.

2. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
3. Super Mario 64
4. Xenoblade Chronicles
5. Super Metroid
6. Earthbound
7. Splatoon
8. Mario Kart 8
9. Kid Icarus: Uprising
10: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Fowler

1. Super Mario World
2. GoldenEye 007
3. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
4. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
5. Super Mario Galaxy
6. Super Mario 64
7. Mario Kart 8
8. Pokémon Gold
9. Blast Corps
10. WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$

If this was a top 15, I'd also have included...

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
F-Zero X
Pokémon Puzzle Challenge
Splatoon
Mario Paint

Top Bottom