• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Essential RPGs - 2013 edition - Top 100 results posted

Lime

Here's my list. I apologize for some of the hyperbolic superlatives, but going through many of these games in my head made me realize how much I treasure each of them and how well-crafted they all were at the time I played them and still are today.

1. Vampire: Bloodlines
    tumblr_m51inwryb71qm1m1rjr.jpg

An amazing experience. The writing, the music, the atmosphere, the voice acting, the themes and the final resolution of the story were all sublime. It didn't need to be grandiose or epic or anything, it was just perfect and avoided the usual clichés stories that video games usually display. I also loved the modern take on the vampire mythology.

2. Valkyrie Profile 1: Lenneth (3 points)
    ykou97ppw.jpg

Experimental combat system that has only been surpassed by its sequel, while its many tragic character stories help create a depressing twist to the interesting Japanese take on the Norse mythos. The Yoshinaro brothers also did an incredible work on the character concepts, which to this day still stands as some of the best concept art in the video games industry.

3. Deus Ex
    head1wzp1n.jpg

Developed like a love letter to what video games as systems of interaction are able to achieve. The different approaches to engaging situations, the proper balancing between level affordances and gameplay mechanics, the way the non-obvious choices are integrated into the storytelling are all contributing to one of the best games I have played.

4. Mass Effect 1
    mass_effect_noveria_hn1qr7.jpg

Ambitious, but unfortunately incredibly flawed in terms of gameplay polish and RPG features. Despite these negatives, its character- and world-building are very engrossing and perfects a holistic conveyance of 70's sci-fi aesthetics.

5. Baldur's Gate 2
    baldursgate2_conceptarxris.jpg

Tons of side-quests, well-developed characters, lots of combat options and ways of engaging, and a well-told story. It set the standard for Bioware RPGs and it remains unsurpassed to this day.

6. Planescape: Torment
    203301-30600000000489xnrum.jpg

Arguably the best writing in a video game. It's bordering on a visual novel and its quality writing remains unsurpassed in the video games medium to this day.

7. Witcher 2
    tw2_concept_art_10_inm7p18.jpg

While the first one could be argued to be better from a story and consequences perspective, the polish and high degree of qualitative content in Witcher 2 make it a great, great experience with a lot of heart and self-awareness. The symbiosis between aesthetics and technology from a visual standpoint is simply amazingly well-done.

8. Fallout: New Vegas
    tumblr_mavozxowkz1qgb3ro7u.jpg

Morally ambiguous storytelling with several downsides to mostly all choices. It's the legacy of Fallout 2 materialized in 2010.

9. Tactics Ogre
    tacticsx5r9e.png

Consequences that matter, a story that intrigues you, and a deep RPG system. The concept art is especially impressive and the detail to the characters is tremendous.

10. Valkyria Chronicles
    1300.valkyriachronicl5sr7t.jpg

Incredible presentation coupled with a successful hybrid of several different genres - it's quite a remarkable feat. The story was complete bonkers and I was sometimes unsure which age group the game was targeting, but the gameplay and art style made the game a memorable experience.

Honorable mentions

• Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
    vps-illust04p8q2q.jpg

A perfect evolution from the 2D beat-em up combat in VP1 to a 3D environmental strategic iteration of the same formula. It's a joy to play the combat, and its assorted. While the story in VP1 was much better and this sequel leaves a lot to be desired and suffer from many detestable JRPG tropes, the gameplay aspect succeeds VP1.

• Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    skyconcept2moxi.jpg

Skyrim is best known as the "3 inches deep ocean", meaning that it is very superficial in its gameplay and quest presentation. Nonetheless, it successfully creates an expansive open-world with very distinct locations and districts. It gets a mention for how it evokes the legacy of its predecessors in addition to being the premier open-world game in terms of level design.

• Final Fantasy XII
    ff12-misc214zrv6.jpg

Too bad that this open-ended approach to the Final Fantasy formula didn't continue in later iterations, because it was a fresh and new way to take part in the usual grind we see in JRPGs.

• Resonance of Fate
    wallpaper121m6khu.png

Steep learning curve, but once you get the hang of the battle system, it's incredibly entertaining. The main plot is crazy and non-explained, but the characters are endearing enough to let you play on to the next chapter.

• Dark Souls
    dark-souls-600x337pmqq2.jpg

Extremely challenging, but incredibly rewarding. It's a unique gem in a time where hand-holding and lack of punishment make out the vast majority of gameplay offerings.

@Kswiston: If the images are too much, notify me and I'll adjust accordingly.

vareon

Final Fantasy XII (3 votes) - The game is what I wanted in an RPG. It has the best sense of adventure I ever played. I love the sense of seeing a super powerful enemy, skirting around its edge just not to get caught in a battle, then coming back 10 hours later with more powerful characters.

Etrian Odyssey III - The perfect definition of "take a classic formula and make a damn solid game out of it". This is one game you do not want to rush through.

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - The game has a massive set of characters, levels, replayability. I also love the support convos.

Fallout: New Vegas - I've played Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Skyrim. New Vegas is the only one I'd recommend if you're ever going vanilla. The amount of thing you can do in and to the world is staggering.

Final Fantasy Tactics A2 - Hundreds of quests, this game is basically a loot game disguised in a tactics RPG. The story is not that good, but not offensive.

Radiant Historia - Stocke is one of the best main character in a JRPG ever. It has a surprisingly grand story for a handheld RPG.

Dragon Age: Origins - I like the character building, the choices we make, the interaction, and the lore.

ghibli99

WIP...

1) Chrono Trigger (SNES)- (insert explanation here)

2) Dragon Quest V (DS) - (insert explanation here)

3) Mother 3 (GBA) (3 points) - (insert explanation here)

4) Final Fantasy VI (SNES) - (insert explanation here)

5) The Bard's Tale I (Apple) - (insert explanation here)

6) Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar (Apple) - (insert explanation here)

7) EarthBound (SNES) - (insert explanation here)

8) Persona 3 Portable (PSP) - (insert explanation here)

9) Dragon Quest III (GBC) - (insert explanation here)

10) Planescape: Torment (PC) - (insert explanation here)

Honorable Mentions

11) Final Fantasy IV (SNES) - (insert explanation here)

12) Phantasy Star (SMS) - (insert explanation here)

13) Chrono Cross (PS1) - (insert explanation here)

14) Final Fantasy X (PS2) - (insert explanation here)

15) Dragon Quest VII (PS1) - (insert explanation here)

Unranked Honorable Mentions
- Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
- Dragon Quest IX (DS)
- The Bard's Tale III: Thief of Fate (Apple)

Taruranto

Order not indicative of games quality:

(Will slowly fill as much i can, i'm not good with descriptions and reviews of games i played long time ago. :()

1) Planescape: Torment

No explanation is needed.

2) Xenosaga ep. III: Also sprach Zarathustra (3 Points)

One of the most ignored and underrated jrpg on PS2. Unfortunately, it came after a really a bad entry that brought a bad name to the series. Despite this, it's nothing but brilliant, with a fast-paced Battle System (Arguably, the best version of the CTB), an amazing soundtrack by Yuki Kajiura and a mind-blowing emotional story.

3) Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn

A massive number of characters, quests, areas, items, spells. Not the best wrpg story-wise (that's Planescape). but definitely the one most fun to play. And replay. And replay. Over and over.

4) Chrono Trigger

It's been over 15 years, and CT STILL feels like it came out yesterday.

5) Persona 2: Innocent Sin

The best Persona game. Together with its sequel, they form a terrific Duology with complex themes, characters and the one of the best villain ever.

6) Anachronox

It pains me that so many people ignore Anachronox. A fantastic mixture of jrpg and wrpg, with a great and entertaining cast of characters, a fun story and great writing all around. Still hoping for a sequel...

7) Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer

Just the fact that they managed to create something decent out of the NWN series is an accomplishment, ahah. But seriously, Mask of the Betrayer is one of the best surprise ever, the expansion of a mediocre game can rival with Planescape: Torment when it comes to the writing and the characters. A shame about the interface...

8) Xenogears

A game perhaps too ambitious for its time (or any time, really), but it still a great, memorable experience that anyone should at least try once.

9) Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call

Hard to say what i like the most about Nocturne... because it's such an amazing, balanced experience. Probably the best Megan gameplay-wise and definitely the most complete package.

10) Terranigma

Best Action-rpg ever.

Honorable Mentions

11) Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth

12) Fallout: New Vegas

13) Dragon Quest VII

14) Ys I & II Complete

15) Xenoblade Chronicles

kai3345

Banned
Gonna list a few, and then come back and add the rest later:

1) Fallout: New Vegas (3 points): It's flawed, but it's without a doubt my favorite RPG of all time. I think I'll look back on this game decades from now, with the same nostalgia that many of you guys look back at games like Baldur's Gate and Torment with. This game is simply amazing. Even disregarding the game's story and writing (which is astounding), on a purely gameplay level this game is magical. I've created five different characters over my hundreds of hours spent with the game, and I completed the game with three of them. Each of those characters felt completely different than the one before. The way in which you drop your points onto your character sheet can drastically alter how you play the game, and it's amazing. Couple that with the open world and the massive possible branches in the story and you've got yourself a game with some of the best replay value I've seen in a long time.

2. Dragon Age Origins Bioware's last great game before their slow, steady descent into the steaming turd they are today. While the story may have been a bit contrived, this game shined with its characters, most notable Alistair, Morrigan and Shale. The banter between characters was some of the best I'd seen in games at the time and a few times had me laughing out loud. The game also uses an influence system with its characters. While sure, your choices maybe didn't exactly have a massive impact on how the story played out, but it sure did affect what each character thought of you. As they liked you more, they received bonuses in combat, and if they hated you enough, they'd eventually just straight up leave. But where this game really shines is in its combat. The game truly felt like a single player version of WoW's 5-Man Instances, which is meant to be taken in the best way possible. The isometric real time with pause combat, along with the various combinations of characters you could have in your party coupled with the variety of skill tress available to each character, gave you a vast amount of options for how you approached any situation in the game, and gave it more than a few playthroughs worth of replayability.

kswiston

I would be careful, OP. Making list threads much like this one is why I got Junior'ed.

I asked for permission before creating this thread on the basis that we have been doing the Essential rpg threads annually since 2010, and that it is meant to be a recommendation thread as well. Vote threads are now discouraged without permission (though we will still have our annual GOTY thread, Soundtrack thread, etc) but "Recommend me some SNES Games" type threads are allowed, and this is sort of a more organized, comprehensive take on that theme for roleplaying games. GAF has quite a bit of turnover every year, and new games are always being released, so I think having an annual essential list is useful.

Durante

Dark Souls will most likely change my top 10. Probably not many other changes, but I'll have to take a closer look. As last year, I'm already surprised by the number of Xenoblade mentions.

robotnik

1. Final Fantasy IX
2. Mother 3
3. Lost Odyssey
4. Tales of Vesperia
5. Valkyria Profile
6. Dragon Quest VIII
7. Lunar: Silver Star Story
8. Xenogears
9. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
10. Kingdom Hearts II

Honorable mentions:

1. Golden Sun
2. Tales of Phantasia
3. Dragon Quest VII
4. The World Ends With You
5. Vagrant Story

andymcc

Banned
1. Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (Nintendo DS)- For those that always (erroneously) peg the shortcomings of the plots for these games, look no further than DQV. A seriously moving, heartfelt story, wrapped up with that unmistakable series charm. Cool monster-recruiting system and amazing music also help. Favorite game in my favorite RPG series.
2. Mother 3 (Gameboy Advance)- Another moving plot. Charming as can be. Not really much I can contribute here that hasn't been said better before. One of the few games to ever get me a little misty-eyed.
3. Panzer Dragoon Saga (Sega Saturn)- Like the aforementioned Mother 3, this moved me in unexpected ways due to its nearly cruel ending. Clever mechanics, perfect length and one of gaming's greatest scores. A shame this one is as rare as it is.
4. Chrono Trigger (Super Nintendo)- Perfectly paced adventuring. Remarkable score and interestingly developed timelines. This game is deserving of it's accolades.
5. Book of Ys I+II (PC-Engine)- There are better versions of this game, consider this a pick purely based on nostalgia. One of the first action RPGs i recall ever playing. I love this game's aesthetics (classic 80's anime, bright colors). Best score in the series IMO.
6. Persona 4 (Playstation 2)- The newest game in this list. It's decidedly different than the other RPGs in my list, but I love how charming the cast is, you really feel invested in the characters. Persona fusion is, as always, tons of fun. Great music to boot.
7. Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen (Nintendo DS)- I adore the structure of the chapters system. The way it shows little aspects of the world through different lead characters, and they way their stories fit together, really highlights the strengths of this series as a whole.
8. Earthbound (Super Nintendo)- I bought this game upon it's initial release (still have my original copy too!) and it was one of those games that I would play together with my father. While playing, we would both remark on how weird/strange aspects of the game were. I'm pretty sure my dad was deeply moved by the ending, though he wouldn't probably ever admit to that.
9. Phantasy Star (Sega Master System)- Another entry that can be chalked to nostalgia. I know elements of this game are horrendously dated and some people complain that it's nigh impossible to play nowadays but my memories are more fond for this title over almost any other. It's one of my earliest gaming memories, as I'd watch my dad play this game religiously. I'd help him draw maps of dungeons as he would explain the story to me (I wasn't even enrolled in school yet, some of the words went over my head.) The title screen music itself is inseparable from my childhood memories.
10. Lunar: Silver Star Story (Sega CD)- Perhaps a little cliche, but a fun, mostly light-hearted adventure. Though I played the PSOne version first, I would later get the Sega CD one and understand the strengths of it's better difficulty and superior pacing. Too bad none of the remakes have nailed the quality of this one.

ghibli99

I asked for permission before creating this thread on the basis that we have been doing the Essential rpg threads annually since 2010, and that it is meant to be a recommendation thread as well. Vote threads are now discouraged without permission (though we will still have our annual GOTY thread, Soundtrack thread, etc) but "Recommend me some SNES Games" type threads are allowed, and this is sort of a more organized, comprehensive take on that theme for roleplaying games. GAF has quite a bit of turnover every year, and new games are always being released, so I think having an annual essential list is useful.
I like the approach and reasoning, for sure. List threads can get annoying if they are for no other reason than to just list out games. It's pointless... like YouTube threads with video links and no titles/descriptions. This one is interesting because it's not just a single series and there is a goal in mind (to help others). Some list threads have been incredibly helpful to me, like the 16-bit hidden gems thread or little-known TG-16 music, etc. Love stuff like that. Anyway, looking forward to the results later this month!

ferr

1. Final Fantasy Tactics (3 points) - After seeing two spiritual successors, a PSP remake, and an iOS port, FFT proves its worth in the genre. Timeless art style, deep and enjoyable gameplay, a complex story with an immersive setting, and a masterpiece of a soundtrack. Announcement of a true sequel might melt the internet. Not positive which version I appreciate the most, probably lean towards the PSP version.

2. Xenogears - It barely made it into the US, but when it did- the heavens were SHOOK! A highly complex story with a universe as deep as Star Wars'.

3. Chrono Cross - I recall being about 15 hours in and realizing the only flaw was that the game would eventually end. so sad :(

4. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together - For any FFT fan out there, this is your silver medal.

5. Final Fantasy 7 - This one got me into RPG games more so than ever. Interesting characters, fun combat system. The visuals are definitely dated.

6. Diablo 2 - The perfect Diablo that Diablo 3 wishes it could have been. Kill things, loot things, repeat.

7. World of Warcraft - It took the genre to another level. Unfortunately it became a dead horse about 4 years ago.

8. Star Wars Galaxies (The original experience*) - I might be alone here, but I loved this game. It might be because I stuck entirely to the crafting side and never got into that whole combat mess. Being able to search for minerals, mine them up, build a house with them, and use that house to sell weapons you built. Me like.

9. Tactics Ogre: Knights of Lodis - A must play for anyone that has enjoyed FFT/TO:LUCT. Only downside is the at-times mediocre plot.

10. Vagrant Story - Very immersive game with a great soundtrack and unique combat system. It can be strangely difficult and tedious at times.

KAL2006

Banned
1. Suikoden 2
2. Final Fantasy VII
3. Suikoden 3
4. Suikoden 5
5. Final Fantasy IX
6. Diablo 2
7. Final Fantasy X
8. Vandal Hearts
9. Mass Effect
10. Suikoden

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The List:
Chrono Trigger (Favorite, 3 pts) - If you have never played an RPG, this is a fantastic place to start. It has a simple but fun "active" battle system, and well-designed team attacks. The game has a ridiculously fun plot full of time travel shenanigans, fantastic settings, awesome characters, a fantastic "New Game+" system with multiple endings, beautiful 2D graphics with characters designed by Akira Toriyama, one of the best original soundtracks in gaming history, and some absolutely fantastic side quests.

Final Fantasy 6 - Originally called FF3 in the US (and I think still called that on the Virtual Console version), this is probably the best entry in the whole Final Fantasy series. Great ensemble cast, the best villain, and a really cool story. Plus, you can suplex a train.

Mount & Blade: Warband - And now for something completely different. Mount and Blade is essentially a sandbox action/war RPG, where you run around in medieval times, do a few quests, fight some bandits, then raise an army and start fighting in large scale battles with (depending on what mods you install) dozens or hundreds of fighters per side. Pledge your loyalty to a king, join large campaigns to seize or defend territory, seige castles, give your army orders in real time on the battlefield, hire mercenaries, fight in the arena, become a lord and get your own castles and villages, woo and marry a nobelman's daughter, strike out on your own and bring terror to passing caravans, destroy those who oppose you, form your own kingdom, conquer the entire continent, or bite off more than you can chew and lose everything you have, before building yourself back up again. No scripted story, no voiced cutscenes, no looming apocalypse: just you, your horse, and the strength of your sword arm. And it's amazing.

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - Forget what you heard. This is the best RPG starring the world's most famous plumber. It's got fun, timing-based combat, some fun, lighthearted storytelling, fun characters, it's just FUN. Oh, also? One of the best translations in the history of localization.

Skies of Arcadia - Yes, the random encounter rate is too high. Doesn't matter. The game is fantastic. Do you want to be a damned awesome sky pirate? Do you want to explore and find cool stuff? Do you want to put together your own crew? Do you want to play a game with the best protagonist in the history of JRPGs? Of course you do.

Lord of the Rings Online - So, how do you feel about MMOs? Because this is one of those. It's not going to make you suddenly like the genre out of nowhere, but this is the one that hooked me. It's very well executed, and unlike almost every MMO I've played, the locations in this one feel like they have real history behind them. Probably the Tolkien effect. PS it's free now. It also feels a little more grounded, compared to the overt silliness of WoW, and I like that.

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - As it comes to strategy RPGs, I prefer the Fire Emblem style to FF Tactics and the like. The series is known mostly for the fact that when you lose a unit in battle, that character is dead for the rest of your playthrough. This means people tend to either restart when they lose a character, or take the hit and go on with one less character, making the next missions more difficult. These games are fantastic turn-based goodness, and Path of Radiance is my favorite of the ones I've played.

The Witcher - Yes, I own the Witcher 2, and no I haven't played it yet. Shutup. I like the Witcher primarily because, unlike any other game I've played, it gives you nothing but a series of bad choices in a world of actual shades of grey, and then brings those choices back to haunt you at times and places that you don't expect. I found the combat pretty fun, once I got used to it. Utterly fantastic fantasy universe. Plus I like the fact that you have to think differently about each situation you approach: what weapon you use, what stance you use, what potions you're going to drink first without risking poisoning yourself, what oils you're going to apply to your weapons, etc. (hope you like swamps, though)

Tales of Symphonia - I know this is a long-running series, but I've only played the Symphonia entries because of what platforms I own. This one is here basically because I have fun playing battles in the Tales series. PS DEMON FANG DEMON FANG DEMON FANG DEMON FANG DEMON FANG DEMON FANG

Star Trek Online
- Okay listen. No, listen to me. Hold on. I know. I KNOW, okay? The game is still broken in a lot of ways, both from a gameplay and technical perspective. I know. And I know you don't like it. I know there are a lot of things about it that are legitimately 100 percent bad. Here's the thing, though. I love the space combat. I genuinely do. I know it's not as, like, technical as a Bridge Commander or something, and it's not as action packed as a game like Freespace on the other side, but I. LOVE. The space combat in this game for reasons I can't entirely explain, and it caused me to pour like, hundreds of hours into this game. I know it's going to get zero other votes, and I know you're ticked that the games I'm going to put below this are below this, and I get it, and I'm not mad that you're mad. But here's what I'm saying: Phasers go pew, and ships go kaplow. I'm sorry.

Honorable mentions:
The Last Remnant
Fire Emblem (GBA)
Final Fantasy 5
Chrono Cross
Dragon Quest 4: Chapters of the Chosen

Noi

Gonna have to sleep on this one. There's a difference between games I'd say are essential and games that I really liked, especially if sub-genres are involved.

Izick

I'd like to give a little about me and RPG's before I give my list. So I've been playing video games as far as I can remember, I've played the NES, Genesis, N64 and so forth, but I never really got into the RPG for a few reasons, both stemming from the fact that I've been a console gamer my whole life, I suppose.

The first is that I really have never had much of an interest in JRPG's. I don't know if it was because I had a N64/Genesis instead of a PS1/SNES, and missed out on the boat with Final Fantasy VII/VI, but I just never really could get into them. As a matter of fact I'm still trying to find a JRPG today that captures my attention like the games on my list. I'm still waiting for that special game, but I guess I've picked a rotten time to start, as this generation hasn't been especially kind to the JRPG genre from what I've heard. Games like FF XIII couldn't really keep me interested due to their lackluster combat and completely yawn-inducing and laughable stories.

The second is that as a console gamer, I missed out on all the fantastic CRPG's that were out there, so my real introduction to WRPG's was on the consoles in the Xbox/PS2/GC era. I never had the chance to play Planescape: Torment, Deus Ex, Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate II. I mean I've dabbled of course, I've played a few hours of each of those, but due to some computer failures and time constraints, I've never managed to give them a good go. I always want to, but I can never seem to find the time when there are always new stuff I'm interested in, and my laptop isn't exactly a speed demon itself so I don't want to get a hampered experience. Hopefully some day down the road I'll play some of these classics, but for now I must exclude them from this list.

1.) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (3 points!)
For someone who loves Star Wars and RPG's, this was a match made in heaven. A really fun and engaging combat and level up system complemented one of the most engrossing and wonderful stories I've ever had the pleasure to experience in a game. All of the side characters and companions are absolutely fascinating, and the game does well with how it paces its story and how you progress with those character's personal tales. Absolutely fantastic, and a must play game.

2.) The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
I know, I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, but hear me out. Oblivion was the first Elder Scrolls I ever played, and I just really couldn't fathom how many hours I put into it. I remember that I had never really played a game that felt so open. Sure, KOTOR and Jade Empire were fairly large and fleshed out, but that feeling of leaving the prison in Oblvion for the first time and seeing a completely open world was just something you don't experience much. I've tried to go back and play Morrowind but I simply can't seem to get my head around it, and I really love Skyrim, but nothing sucked me in like Oblivion and its expansions.

3.) Mass Effect
Yes, Mass Effect is definitely buggier and less polished than it's big brother Mass Effect 2, but what it lacks in looks and refinement, it more than makes up for with charm, atmosphere, and a game that is just a better RPG at the end of the day. I really love the first two games in this series (haven't played 3 yet) but I just don't think I could ever pick 2 over Mass Effect. The way that the story feels, the way you discover the universe, your companions, it all just feels like your in this awesome sci-fi space noire. A feeling that I'll never be able to forget.

4.) Fallout 3
What can I say about Fallout 3 that hasn't been said? An immersive world that feels so unique and fresh compared to the rest of the gaming landscape; a fun combat and leveling system that rewards variety and creativity; a world that feels like nothing else before. So many more things could be said, but without rambling, Fallout 3 is everything I want from an RPG. It gives me a world that I love and want to level up in, and it kept me engaged the whole way through. Bonus points as well for having the best DLC for any game this generation.

5.) Dragon Age: Origins
Holy cow. After never having the chance to really play any of the CRPG greats that I constantly hear all about, I managed to play Dragon Age on my 360 back when it came out and I was kind of dumbstruck. Everything was just fun and really intricate. The main story was pretty good, but the meat of the storytelling (like any good Bioware game) lies in what you learn about your companions, and how you respond as a character to this whole world. The combat felt like a much more intricate KOTOR, and it was really cool to finally play what felt like an homage or continuation of all those interesting things I've seen in CRPG's from the sidelines. I'd say it's a must play for any fan of the genre.

I am only counting games I have finished, which disqualifies one of my favorites.

1.) Might and Magic 6: The Mandate of Heaven - This is one of the first pc games I purchased and it hooked me. One of the few games I always go back to and play.

2.) Tactics Ogre: LUCT - This game is just pure crack. Fight it out

3.) Dark Souls - While I think this is the easier of the two soul games, it refined and improved upon some things. This is a very rewarding game.

4.) Etrian Odyssey 3 (3 Points) - The first two were really great games but too similar. I guess what I really like about this entry is the dual class system combined with the addictive nature that first person dungeon crawlers have. Not since I was younger has a game series consumed all my free time.

5.) Shining Force 2 - What interested me in this game when I was younger was a cheat code to change all the characters names (I was pretty young at the time and wanted to name them all after my favoritest profanity) I go to Albertsons rent it and pop it in. I ended up liking it so much I forgot the reason why I rented it in the first place. The gameplay was something completely new to me and the soundtrack I still hum to myself this day. This game took many years for me to beat (not knowing what to do with a certain piece of wood. I finally got some advice from a friend in 8th grade)

6.) Xenogears - Mechs,enjoyable combat system,great soundtrack,great memorable soundtrack

7.) Chrono Trigger - Great game which I unfortunately expirenced on the ps1, but that did not ruin any of the expirence for me. This game is a classic in the genre.

8.) Phantasy Star 4 - I ended up playing this and beating it on Sega channel. The graphics and still cutscenes at the time just blew me away. I did play the earlier titles in the series but I was way to young at the time to make any real progress. Also making macros was a pretty cool feature at the time.

9.) Dragon Quest 5 - The plot of this entry is very charming.

10.) Final Fantasy 12 - This game really clicked for me. The "offline mmo feel" gave the illusion of open endedness, which made exploring the various zones very enjoyable. The hunt side misisons were great as well. This is my favorite entry in the series.

I think I'll vote this year.

1) The Witcher 2 (3 points) - After more time passes, I'm becoming more comfortable calling this my favorite game of all time. The world is so well realized, the characters are all convincingly human with their own agendas, biases and realistic personalities (no perfect good vs. ultimate evil) and the story and dialog are delivered to the player in a way that is natural and not aimed directly at the player. The developers weren't afraid to add real impactful consequences to player decisions, to the point that an entire Chapter of the game takes place in different locations based on player choice. I've seen some complaints about the combat but for me it feels fluid and fast and satisfying with some balance flaws. The games production values are unparalleled. Everything feels lovingly crafted. All this great content and it receives continued support from the most consumer friendly RPG developer. I can't recommend this game enough.

2) Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn - I hadn't played this until just a couple years ago and I'm glad I took the time to play it. The game is huge and so incredibly dense with deep content and with the way games are made today, I don't know if we'll ever see another RPG of this scope. I'll just snip a quote from the post I created when I finished the game. "From the insane number of spells to the detailed histories of magic weapons, little things, like dialog options for just about every situation the player might find themselves in, there was a level of detail and depth I never experienced before in an RPG. The game had a way of making every sidequest feel as urgent and grand as the main quest. Combat was satisfying because you were constantly punished if you didn't come at each battle strategically."

3) Dark Souls - One of the few recent single player games released that makes the player feel like they're actually accomplishing something as they are progressing. Dark Souls combines an artfully crafted open world, that weaves and winds around itself and the best melee combat I've ever experience in an action RPG with a constantly oppressive tone that makes you feel appropriately uneasy the entire time you play. Along with that, it includes a massive amount of unique armor pieces and weapons for different gameplay styles, each beautifully rendered and each feels like it has a place in the world, from the realistically practical designs to the outlandish over the top designs. This game is just a joy to play.

4) Mass Effect - What I love most about Mass Effect is the universe they created. It's deep, full of interesting alien cultures, politics and technologies and they attempt to ground everything with the game's own set of physical laws, which is something that I appreciate. I've read through the entire codec multiple times because I just find the universe they created so fascinating. The original game introduces this universe exceptionally well, with a solid collection of characters and an exciting action sci fi story with what I consider to be the best climax and ending of any game released this generation. Combat gameplay is its weakest aspect but over many playthroughs, I've grown to really enjoy it. You just need to play to the games strengths and learn how to properly manage it's weaknesses. The game is ambitious, maybe a little too ambitious because some of the content wasn't fully baked but it was a game that showed you incredible potential in a subgenre not well represented. Though, I enjoy Mass Effect 2 more than many and the majority of Mass Effect 3, I do feel that the franchise never really lived up to what the original game setup. Also, it's important to pretend that the Mass Effect 3 ending never happened because it retroactively ruins much of the universe and characters and knowing that everything is leading up to something so incredibly stupid can really suck the enjoyment out of playing Commander Shepard.

Also, this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcrDWAuyqtc

5) Knights of the Old Republic - I've been gaming since the early 80s but I hadn't really played a Western RPG until I played KOTOR and for that it will always have a special place in my heart. Beyond that KOTOR did an amazing job capturing what is great about the Star Wars universe. It tells a compelling story, the twist reveal actually caught me off guard and I'm a sucker for a well done plot twist (though I have to admit, I missed some strong foreshadowing). The combat works but it wasn't the game's strongest point. However, I do believe they did a good job making it look like fast Star Wars action even with dice rolls behind the scenes. I've never played the sequel due mainly because it was supposedly unfinished and forced out the door but this thread is making me want to give it a shot.

6) Persona 4 - You can probably tell by the rest of my list, I lean more towards western RPGs than Japanese RPGs. However, I was very pleasantly surprised by Persona 4. The game combines an interesting story, great characters, fast paced strategic turn based combat and a gotta catch 'em all Persona collecting system. 80+ hours well spent. Even if you don't especially love JRPGs, you may still want to give this game a try.

7) Alpha Protocol - Few games capture the feeling of being a spy or at least what movies/TV/books have led us to believe being a spy would be like as well as Alpha Protocol. Traveling the world, managing relationships with your contacts, even when their goals and methods don't align with your own and infiltrating enemy strong holds to gather intelligence and eliminate threats. The dialog is very well written, which is key because the game shines the brightest when you're making major decisions in conversations. Also, I found myself not questioning the decisions I was making throughout the game. Usually, with this type of game, if something didn't play out just right, I would end up reloading an earlier save and replaying that section. I'm not sure why, but with Alpha Protocol, I never felt the need to do that. Like Mass Effect, combat gameplay is its weakest component but if you learn how to play to its strength (play stealth) it can still be enjoyable. Unfortunately, the weaknesses are highlighted the most during the game's mandatory boss fights. If you're able to look past these gameplay shortcomings, you will be treated to an excellent role-playing experience in a sub-genre rarely done well.

Heropon

The order doesn't represent anything (apart from trying to put numbered sequels in certain positions). Since I feel that a very important part of the RPG experience is the music, I'm going to put a selection of three themes of each game that I personally like.

1)Xenoblade Chronicles - If something defines this magnificent game, they are those beatiful landscapes. For me, the large amount of quests were only a excuse to stay immersed there for lots of hours while enjoying the battle system, the music and the beautiful scenery. The battle and growth systems have lots of little sub-systems that are introduced progressively through the game and don't overwhelm the player while helping to keep the interest of the player. This game is the evidence that the great console JRPG experiences aren't dead yet.

Music: You Will Know Our Names/Those Who Bear Their Name, Mechanical Rhythm, Gaur Plain

2)Grandia II - I think this game has a pretty good balance between combat and story. For the former, we are in front of one of the most acclaimed battle systems of all time thanks to the importance it gives to the timing of the attacks, position of the battlers in the battle field and the cancel mechanic. The battles are a bit on the easy side, so if people want to have more of this battle system with extra difficulty I really recommend Grandia III (Don't play it for the story, please!).

Music: Parts of Valmar Fight! (Orchestal), Battle Theme, LIVE! LIVE!! LIVE!!!

3)Chrono Trigger - What can be said about this game that hasn't been told yet? For me, its strongest point is its pace as there's never too much of anything and it's always a pleasure to play it. Maybe it affects the length of the game, but who cares when the result is this masterpiece?

Music: Wind Scene, Lavos' Theme, Battle with Magus

4)Persona 4 - A great cast of characters, an interesting battle system and a living world that doesn't wait for you to solve the problems make this game one of the best RPGs I've played recently. Growing the protagonist's relationships with other people becomes addictive while one fights against the calendar, making decitions to try to maximize the most of them before the time runs out. Having them affecting the battle facet of the game gives the player an extra incentive apart from hearing the character's stories, which are pretty interesting by themselves too. I'd also recommend Persona 3, but I wanted to make a diverse list and this game is more polished overall.

Music: Reach Out to the Truth, I'll Face Myself -Battle-, Heartbeat, Heartbreak.

5)Final Fantasy V (3 points) - I looooooooove its character growth system. Named the job system, its taken from FF3 but much more improved. Each character has a job assigned that can be changed between battles and can equip an extra ability learned from using the grand variety of jobs at our disposal. These extra abilities, apart from its obvious effects, come with a variety of stat changes that can affect other aspects of the battle. This game rewards strategy above all and almost all the job combinations are viable if used properly. I recommend this game for emphasizing its gameplay component over the story, but I really like that aspect too thanks to its lightheartedness and how the game doesn't take itself completely seriously avoiding some facepalming situations other games are suffer from. I grant it the extra point because I want to compensate the excess of love FFIV receives being the worse game in my opinion.

Music: Battle on the Big Bridge, Decisive Battle, Unknown Lands

6)Pokémon Black/White Version - The Pokémon experience has to be experimented by everyone at least once and I think that right now this pair of games are the best way to start. The battle system is faster than ever and the animated sprites add charm to the previously extremely static battles. This game also has a stronger focus in the story, but I don't really know if it's really important in a Pokémon game. As for the new pokémon designs, I think they are pretty good, even the ones based in inanimated objects.

Music: Cynthia Battle (lol), Subway Trainer Battle, Driftveil City

7)Golden Sun The Lost Age - The first two Golden Sun games are like one big game, but if I have to choose I like the second one much more because it improves the already strong points of the first one: Lots of good puzle dungeons and the djinn system. I loved how the characters' magic powers could be used outside of battle to affect the environments as it reminds me of the typical "What would you do if you had magic powers?" question, and how a normal person wouldn't answer "kill monsters!!!". The djinn system admits two approaches in battle: Using the djinn to summon powerful entities or use the stat increases and extra skills provided by them to do more gradual damage. Thanks to the higher number of djinn in this game, more classes are added (adquired through different djinn combinations) which deepen the combat aspect even more. Besides, getting the djinn is a joy by itself.

Music: Mars Lighthouse, Magma Rock, Saturos Battle Theme

8)Dragon Quest VIII Journey of the Cursed King - I don't really know what to say about this game, but I know I like how it has a great balance between new and old and that charm traps me.

Music: War Cry, Strange World, Chatting

9)Final Fantasy IX - As Dragon Quest VIII, I think it has the same strengths. Its characters are pretty good, and I think it's the best Final Fantasy overall.

Music: You're Not Alone!, Battle 1, The Darkness of Eternity

10)Final Fantasy Tactics A2 - This SRPG always addicts me thanks to its class and growth system. Albeit a bit slow, it's always rewarding killing the enemy troops.

Music: Beyond the Wasteland, Companions that Surpased their Tribe, That Which Stands in the Way (FFXII boss battle theme)

Honorable mentions:
1)Final Fantasy XII: As with Xenoblade, I loved its offline MMO elements, but only one could enter in the list.
2)Diablo: I know Diablo 2 is better, but I've played more of this game so it gets my vote.
3)Star Ocean III Till the End of Time: This game is really long, but I liked the battle system and crafting. The battle trophies were an interesting addition for me too.
4)Mother 3: The rythm attack system is masterful, and the design of this game is really unique and lovely. A jewel that must be played at least once.
5)Persona 2 Innocent Sin: I've just completed this game and I felt I had to give it an Honourable Mention. The story is pretty interesting and it has a great villain.

Just putting some stand out titles on the table and will sort through them later.

Dragon Quest VIII
Final Fantasy VI
Phantasy Star IV
Mass Effect (series)
Xenogears
Final Fantasy Tactics
Tales of Vesparia
Chrono Cross
Skyrim
Fallout 3: New Vegas
Star Ocean: The Last Hope
Final Fantasy VII
Valkyria Cronicles
Grandia II
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy XII
Granida III
Dragon Quest IV
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest IX

kswiston

Just a suggestion, but I think it'd be interesting to display the rank change on the list for each game as well. It'd give us an idea of how they're trending from year to year. So, for example, if Chrono Cross dropped down from #1 last year to #3 this year, it'd be "-2". Don't mean to give you more work...just an idea I thought would be interesting. :)

This is a neat suggestion, and if I remember I will include it. I also want to highlight where you can currently buy these games (PSN, Virtual Console, GOG, Steam, etc), at least for the top 50.

We only have a handful of lists so far, but it already looks like a certain major 2011 release will be less represented this time around.

1. Suikoden 2 (3 points)

One of the attractions of the RPG genre is how you can explore the game world and learn about its inhabitants at your own pace. The best Suikoden games take full advantage of those world-building possibilities by populating the game world with hundreds of appealing characters, letting the player recruit them, fight with them, and relax with them at the HQ. Suikoden 2 fully rewards a player’s investment in its world by telling a moving story and making sure that in every corner of the world there is someone worth talking to. The battles are fast, the music is good (if not as strong as the first game’s), but a castle full of recruits is worth whatever the game costs on ebay these days.

2. Dark Souls

Speaking of world building, here’s a game that does it better than just about any other this past decade. Careful attention to item descriptions and graphical details yields just enough information to make the player curious about the game world.

Of course, that’s not really why the Souls games are so great. What pushes Dark Souls toward the top of my list is its perfectly weighted combat, its addictive difficulty level, and its haunting, non-linear world where you can look up from a misty forest to see, high above, the church you visited hours before. I played Demon's Souls at a friend's house after classes. My friend and I had our own files, and when we would compare notes on different areas of the game and items we were trying out, it took me back to playing Zelda in elementary school.

3. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

Best turn-based combat system in a non-strategy RPG. Let me say that again: best turn-based combat system in a non-strategy RPG. Press-turn keeps battles fast-paced without letting up the tension or forgiving the player for lazy tactics. Add in demon fusion, and you’ve got a highly addictive, strategy intensive RPG.

Also, this will tip everyone off that Nocturne was my first SMT game, but I loved the fact that the game gave me so little (positive) information about my story options that I had to think very hard about how to role-play it, and I felt compelled to help the guy in the wheelchair because he was the only one hinting there might be any way out of this mess.

4. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

This is a stand in for the whole Fire Emblem series, really. I could change my mind and put Path of Radiance or Genealogy of the Holy War in the same slot. Radiant Dawn takes the top slot for now because of its perfect difficulty level (on the default setting), strong story, and enormous variety in maps.

What I like about Fire Emblem is the simple but challenging gameplay, the comparatively fast pace for a tactics game, and the generally appealing characters and world. I find that when I finish a Fire Emblem I immediately want to replay it to perfect my approaches to maps and find more efficient uses for XP.

5. Chrono Trigger

To be honest, this is kind of a soft choice because it’s been a long time since I played Chrono Trigger, and I would much sooner replay games further down the list. I’m giving it the fifth spot because I recently watched one of my good friends play it for the first time, and he’s really, really bad at videogames (he never played them growing up), but he fell in love with the world and the characters and asked me afterward if I could recommend other games like CT. The truth is that there aren’t many RPGs with the instant appeal of Chrono Trigger. The story, the characters, and the music are something special.

6. Suikoden

The first Suikoden game has almost all of the virtues of its more celebrated sequel, and it throws in one of the best soundtracks ever. Suikoden is my most re-played RPG. It's quick, it's addictive (the "gotta catch 'em all" recruiting element really should have made its way into more RPGs...I know Skies of Arcadia dabbled with it for crewing up the Delphinus, but I can't think many more games that do it), and the mix of dungeons, town exploration/recruiting phases, strategy battles, and mini-games at the castle means there's always something fun to do.

7. Demon’s Souls

Another game that in some respects equals or surpasses the sequel that placed higher on my list. Demon's Souls has more consistent level design and boss fights than Dark Souls, and its online elements are far more functional. Despite these considerable advantages, I give Dark Souls the edge because the open world so perfectly complemented the basic game design's efforts to trade on mystery and tension. Also, Estus > Grass.

8. Valkyria Chronicles
9. Pokemon Gold/Silver
10. Final Fantasy VI

Honorable Mentions:

Dragon Quest 7
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Suikoden 5
Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
Fallout 2

I’ll also add that while I tend to exclude Zelda games from my RPG list, LttP, OoT, and MM would have all made the top ten.

Levyne

Banned
1.) Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (3 Points)

Maybe my favorite game ever. I love the artwork, the gameplay, the story and lore. The connections to Radiant Dawn make the story and progression even more grandiose, but it doesn't beat out the original.

banner_609.jpg

2.) The Last Remnant

This game is so amazing. The music is fucking fantastic. The gameplay is deep and the complexity is awesome. The story is even pretty good. There's like 30 unique characters each with there own weapon and skill affinities and even battle banter. The game is fairly non-linear with tons of content and tons of reasons to revisit places you've been. You can basically set up your battle party however you please. Lots of loot and item management as well which you need to pay attention to in order to craft new weapons and learn new skills.

3.) Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

My favorite "Mario RPG" of any system or style. The dialogue, the gameplay, the content. This game is so good. It really is a shame that it seems the series has peaked here and we are still waiting to see if another entry will ever top this.

4.) Final Fantasy X

My favorite Final Fantasy game. The music is fantastic, the gameplay is perfect for turn-based. Tons of optional content, and the sphere grid is pretty cool. And Blitzball may be one of the best minigames ever (even if it is easy to "break".)

5.) Knights of the Old Republic 2

I hated this game at first. The story didn't make sense, too many followers could become Jedi. It was unfinished and buggy and lame and stupid. But I've grown to love it on multiple replays with added content restored, mods, and a greater respect for Obsidian's ability to tell a story in a thoughtful and nuanced way. Definitely the game I recommend for people who aren't typical Star Wars fans to try out.

6.) Xenoblade Chronicles

Not the best JRPG ever. Not an evolution of the genre. Not the nectar of the JRPG gods over whatever hyperbole this game had pinned to it. Still, a very ambitious game with loads of content, tons of little refinements, great music, and a neat story.

7.) Tales of Vesperia

My favorite Tales game, and probably by far my favorite JRPG protagonist. Not once did I wish Yuri would shut up, grow up, man up, or go away. He is very thoughtful and decisive, and has a good sense of the world around him. He's willing to take matters into his own hands and never doubts his abilities. It also helps that no shitty love-plot is shoe-horned into the game. I probably don't like the cast as much as I do Symphonia, but with a better focus character, it's better for it.

8.) Final Fantasy XII

This game is good for busting so many of the often disliked but tolerated expectancies of JRPGs. While cutscenes and linearity are present in some patches of the game, long swathes of gameplay are just you deciding where to go, what to kill, what hunts to take on, what weapons to craft and specialize in, what party to use. There's a degree of freedom in your gameplay choices that simply isn't there in a lot of JRPGs.

9.) Guild Wars 2

My GOTY. This game is unrefined but does so many things right. Playing with other people is pleasant and rewarding. Maxing out a character "stat-wise" is not much of a grind, and there is not really any sort of gear treadmill that must one run on if they want to maximize their characters. Instead, loot and gear obtained in many different ways are differentiated only by appearance and rarity. There's no loot or kill stealing either. I am going to sink so many hours into this...

10.) Persona 4

While not as enamored with this title as a large section of GAF, it's still very very good. The dialogue is great, and none (or few) of the characters fit into the terrible tropy JRPG roles. The character interactions seem genuine and none of them are unlikable. Mixing matching and merging Persona has a bit of a pokemon-esqe collection aspect to it as well.

Honorable Mentions
1.) Fallout: New Vegas
2.) Tales of Symphonia
3.) Guild Wars
4.) The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
5.) Valkyria Chronicles

I could probably list 20 more honorable mentions..

1)NIER - one of the best stories this generation. Cavia's swan song and boy do they go out with a bang. such fun characters.

2) Final Fantasy 12 - Some of thet best combat i have had in an RPg. using the Gambit system to its fullest effect is fun. Not to mention an stroy taking place in one of the best RPG worlds Ivalice.

3) The Witcher 2 - Quite simply one of the Best RPG;s to come out of the west. If Bioware was located in eastern Europe they would make this game.

4) Vagrant Story - a combonation of puzle platforming and rpgs combat. Vagrant story is one of the most subversive games of that era.

5) Wild arms 3 - Its an RPG that takes place in the wild west nuff said

6) chrono trigger - One of the classics, if you have not played, it what are you waiting for

7) tactics ogre - (insert explanation here)

8) Persona 3/4 - Atlus's crown jewel that has set the RPG world on fire. a Mix of date sima nd RPG combat creates a deep game that wil leave ou wonder where all the time went.

9) final fantasy 6 - argueably the best final fantasy

10) Mass effect series- Grand sapce opera with some of the best character interactions to date.

zkylon

zkylewd
finished!

----

The Big Ten (some order applies, but not necessarily)

itKVg5nvyvNFv.PNG

Fallout 2 (3 points)
Choice and consequence done right by the hundreds, great writing and lore, very interpretative quest design, in that you could tackle obstacles in your own style by making good use of the game's systems and RPG mechanics, I have difficulty thinking of any other game that matches its genius, let alone manages to knock off the park every single thing like Fallout does. I'm picking the second over the first one because it's the one I started the series with (I'll forever thank my cousin for lending me his pirated copy of the game, I've yet mended my ways and have like four copies laying around, plus GOG) and the one that's closest to my heart, but they both are works of amazing craftmanship.

ipyCPlaTyfW9F.PNG

Planescape: Torment
Arguably the best story ever told by an RPG, very personal, very strange, full of trope reversions and actually surprising twists, and one of the few to make me cry.

ibePCO13cheFBO.PNG

Suikoden 2
It combined pretty much all the better JRPG tropes and added two of my favorite things ever: literally over a hundred cool characters for recruiting and awesome base building, with your own shops, mini-games, etc.

iOIWXTV4OW5qk.PNG

Dark Souls
The better of the Souls games, and the best thing to come out of consoles in a long time, both Dark and Demon's have given me some of the best sense of exploration and being scared and curious of what lies around the corner any game has.

ibqNiUAi7BTYeG.PNG

Xenogears
The greatest cast in a JRPG ever, and the greatest music too, it's just short of being my favorite JRPG of all times. If it weren't for the rushed second CD, that'd probably be the case, but still, the first CD is as epic as a game can get, and as far as unofficial Evangelion adaptations go, this one's pretty amazing.

i7SYDqLZANjwY.PNG

Deus Ex
The one and only, Deus Ex created an RPG by sheer brilliant level and mechanics design, not complicated stats and character sheets.

ipkIiragmsFey.PNG

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines
The best Deus Ex since Deus Ex, amazing atmosphere and writing, and a great translation of the PnP game's mechanics. Just remember to patch it up: http://dlh.net/cgi-bin/dlp.cgi?lang=&sys=pc&file=VTMBup842.exe&ref=ps

ibe1ecIvSeGyEo.PNG

Final Fantasy VII
A turning point in JRPG history, full of memorable scenes, characters, locations, music, the full package, really, with one of the best bad guys in videogame history. The moment you see Sepiroth defeated on his own that giant snake you had to go on a quest to avoid, you realize you're pit against one tough asshole...

ibcVwQavKEBWJb.PNG

Fallout: New Vegas
The best 3D RPG ever, made even better my modding and DLC. Its Gamebryo shackles deprive it from achieving higher greatness but Obsidian took it as far as anyone could.

ibviVAdzuQ1J7K.PNG

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
I would've never thought a blend of dating sim, Pokemon and weird occultism would've made such an impact on me, but this game's fascinating for all the right reasons and the pacing is just perfect.

----

ieNMIyg3dH1k9.PNG

Honorable Mentions

The Witcher - the manliest RPG, The Witcher's card collecting shits all over Magic the Gathering
Nier - the soundtrack alone should be enough to place it high among the best games ever, but the story and cast is fantastic in a very odd way that you can't tell until you spent 50 hours with the game. It pulls off very smart and crazy things with the endings, and its only crime is being released in this modern age...
Alpha Protocol - in spite of all the rough edges, Alpha Protocol is the best case for prefabricated protagonists in RPGs and make-your-own adventure type of linear but reactive stories.
Valkyrie Profile - I guess I'm a sucker for games that make something interesting out of recruiting NPCs. I also loved how everyone is so fucking cool in this game...
Mount & Blade: Warband - I can't believe I almost forgot about Warband. To say it knocked off Chrono Trigger from the Honorable Mentions expresses how much I love this game. It's cheesy and janky and I love it all the more for it, I feel few RPGs actually let you roleplay on both macro and individual levels as M&B does and even if it doesn't have a strong story or dialogue, I've managed to play as bandits, knights, golddigging wives, traitors and lots of other crazy shit.

----

ibbRWGChuNMPF2.PNG

Games I would've loved to stick in the Honorable Mentions

Chrono Trigger - not as big a fan of the game itself as I am of the concept of time traveling, and an admirer of people doing it right. 
Mass Effect - Bioware's swan song, before EA twisted them into the defaced fanservice grotesquerie they are now. It did space travelling right, and making you feel like a badass right, and then soiled it with third person shooting, mini-games and terrible inventory systems.
Demon's Souls - I'd say Demon's a bit harsher than I wish to, but Boletaria is just as worth a trip as Lordran.
Final Fantasy VI - pretty great at everything, but not having a SNES meant I got to it late, and by then FFVII had already changed my JRPG life.
Final Fantasy Tactics - the story starts out strong, Delita is the king of awesome, and the art and music were great. I wish they had gone more political and less magical, but you can't have it all...
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura - the combat is just too terrible and the story isn't nearly as memorable as PS:T as to save it from the "bottom" of the list, but the quest design was so great...
The Witcher 2 - its best feat I feel is treating you like an adult, and throwing names of characters and places at you with no regards of whether you were actually following what's being said or not, because if you were, you felt sooo in. Haven't gotten around playing the Enhanced edition yet, but if they managed to better the third chapter, then maybe next year TW2 will take TW1's place.
Front Mission 3 - I just can't help being amazed at how balls crazy it is to change 80% of a game's story based on a casual decision made in the first minute of a game. The in-game internet system (and background theme) was also something that had me so crazy at the time.
Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords - in classic Obsidian style, it's rough and unfinished, but also full with Avellone goodness.
Suikoden III - the storytelling was there, but it brought upon the franchise the obnoxious cute races...

----

Note: all the obvious games, specially classic WRPGs like Baldur's Gate that I left out, are left out because I simply haven't played them.

Ugh, I can't believe the last time I wrote about this was a year ago. I am hurtling toward my imminent demise.

Going to copy and paste some of my nominees from last year, just because I don't have anything more to really articulate about those. Also adding a new addition from this year and two I didn't get around to writing about last year.

Dark Souls(3 pts) Last year I was hesitant to give the nod to this at a couple months old, but it's remained at the top for at least another twelve months. To quote myself(avoiding quote boxes so as to make post less obnoxious):

"It is an ideal second iteration of an approach and design that is simply unlike anything in the world. Its standard medieval setting and RPG stats hides what feels like a new genre of game, if not a new way of thinking about game design entirely. Add to that its glorious visual and audio design, incredible atmosphere, compellingly implied world lore, stunning unpredictability(very special in today's landscape) and the unique emotional drain of its gameplay and it is one of the most indescribable, unprecedented, thought-provoking game experiences I've ever had. It is like the best of some alien game industry that matured completely separately from ours. We would only be so lucky if dozens of developers copy Dark Souls' design in the upcoming generation."

Earthbound "I spent my time with best of the SNES JRPGs, but most of them have faded away with the nostalgia. Earthbound took the opposite trajectory - it only increases in value in my mind over time. Perhaps the very best, most expressive example of Japanese surrealism in gaming. Also that music is fucking crazy; love it."

Baldur's Gate II "You know the drill. You will be missed, Bioware."

Planescape: Torment "Whenever this comes up I like to point out that I played this for the very first time only this year and absolutely adored it, and this is coming from someone who is quick to dismiss games that are supposed to 'classic' or 'great' if they don't speak to me, and quicker to give up on even short games if I get bored. One of the big things I would change about the industry if i could would be to make devs let go of their eye-rollingly tired(and embarrassing) obsession with Tolkein-esque fantasy for their RPGs(if I never see an elf again for the rest of my life it will be too soon). Planescape's universe is so special, so philosophically rich, I would be thrilled to do anything in it. To spend it with cool, likable, tortured characters, in a story so far above the standard wish-fulfillment chosen-one bullshit, participating in underappreciated tactical gameplay is a blessing."

Persona 4 Persona 4 is too long, often frustrating, terribly paced, occasionally cheesy and willfully obtuse. It also has one of the most stupidly endearing casts of characters in any game, an awesome, coherent and unique aesthetic sense, some magnificent voice acting and finely tuned tactical gameplay. It's simply a joy to spend time in.

Fallout 3 My thought on Fallout 3 are complex and I don't really feel like articulating them right now. Fallout 3 is great.

Xenoblade: Chronicles Great for dozens of reasons, but its greatest triumph for me is that it shows me a mold for games that are modern, but still undeniably JRPG, and that I really want to play more of.

Fou-Lu

1. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Perhaps I spent more time in Morrowind, but there's really something special about exploring Skyrim. The enhanced graphics give it an edge in immersion and I've always been a huge fan of snow, cold, glaciers, tundra and norse mythology. I'd rather be playing Skyrim on a snowy day than any other game. Oh and did I mention the top notch modding scene? There's some real beauties out there.

2. Final Fantasy IX - This game takes the beautifully nostailgic setting of earlier FF games and uses all the gameplay refinements created throughout the series history and improves upon them to end up with a nearly perfect game. Zidane is also the best FF protagonist, he's no one's bitch.

3. Shining Force 2 (3 Points) - Probably the first game I ever finished, an awesome cast of characters, a simple but incredibly fun battle system and great music, even today I'll find myself humming a tune from SF2. Oh and Peter the phoenix is a boss.

4. Chrono Cross - Yes I enjoyed it more than CT, I love the characters, I love the battle system, I even love the convoluted story! Plus the soundtrack is one of the best out there. And Serge's weapon designs are hilarious but awesome.

5. Baiten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean - This game is beautiful, the prerendered backgrounds are really top notch. The card based battle system is really something unique and it is a great one. The story twist was actually kind of surprising, not so much
that it was unexpected, but the fact that they went there in a JRPG.

6. Grandia 2 - Possibly my favorite RPG battle system and the story and characters resonated with me much more so than Grandia or Grandia 3. And once again great music!

7. Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door - The best Mario RPG by leaps and bounds despite my fanboyism over Geno. Everything in this game is PERFECT.

8. Dark Cloud - Despite the huge amount of improvements the second game made, there's something about the simplicity of the first that draws me in much deeper than its sequel. I love leveling my weapons and building my towns.

9. Dragon Quest V - Best DQ game ever? Best DQ game ever. One of the all time best RPG stories all told.

10. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles - Probably one of my most played games. The multiplayer is more than worth the price of entry, despite being level based the feel of adventuring and exploration you get is unrivaled in my opinion.

Honourable Mentions:
Breath of Fire III
Breath of Fire IV
Super Mario RPG
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Dark Cloud 2

Oh god, I forgot to edit and now it's late. Suffice it to say that the top 10 are pretty much that, so there's my two cents (late, as the case may be).

1) Shining Force 3 (3 points) - (Greatest SRPG ever. Three games connected together to tell a grand story, with saves migratable between the three. The most fun I've ever had in an srpg - the perfect blend of a great story and a great battle system.)

2) Panzer Dragoon Saga - (Fully voiced saturn game - even the npc's! - with an amazing battle system, which sees you with simply two characters - edge and his dragon - throughout the entire game. Battles are never boring though, as you constantly shift position to attempt to keep advantage)

3) Legend of Zelda : A Link To The Past - (Zelda 3 is just a beautifully put together game, with the most perfect pacing on how it opens its world to you. For me it's for me the pinnacle of the genre.)

4) Chrono Trigger - (Great story, fun battle system that takes enemy position into account when attacking, and best of all, one of the first, anf easily the best New Game + which lets you complete the game in lots of different ways.)

5) Grandia - ( Has an innovative battle system that actually had me looking forward to encounters, where you can interrupt enemy attacks)

6) Legend of Zelda : Link's Awakening - (another great zelda game with the best dungeon in the series(eagles tower + columns), plus a genuinely interesting story that proves that less can sometimes be a lot more, and had made me rather sad by the end of it)

7) Breath of Fire 3 - (BOF3 has one of my favourite video game stories ever. Whenever I replay it I find myself amazed at how well crafted the ostensibly generic plot and characters were.

To give one example, in battle each character has a battle animation for when they attack. The main character, who is a child, starts off shielding his eyes and waving his sword like a feather duster. Later in the game, after a plot twist that required him to stand on his own two feet somewhat, the battle animation changes and he attacks looking straight ahead with a standard slash.

The game doesn't make any big deal about this, it just happens in battles that come after this event. A small thing, but Breath Of Fire III excels at doing these kinds of things, and this - as well as the nature of the story - really fleshes out the characters, and kept me interested in a game with... rather horrible random encounter rates and a rather questionable design decision (desert of death).

And rei is endlessly awesome, as are Balio & Sunder. )

8) Super Mario RPG : Legend of the Seven Stars - (had a lot of fun jumping on heads to get secret chests. SMRPG possessed that special something or other most all squaresoft games had in the mid nineties, with the addition of mario & co making it all the more charming with a funny and off the wall plot.)

9) Vandal Hearts - (super fun sprg with big, chunky, sprites full of blood. super quick battles due to the exaggerated rock/paper/scissors weapon types, which makes tactics all the more important)

10) Dragon Quest V
- (DQV has an archaic battle system, but I can't put into words how much I love the story.)

Honourable Mentions

11) Mystic Quest Legend
- (Was made as a sort of "first rpg" to get people into the genre, and is indeed rather simplistic, but it really captures the heart of what it used to mean to be a jrpg. Also you can jump, effect your environment, see your enemies(twenty years ago!), and that music. Man oh man, that music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L59y977ZpaQ

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRMMqZ2lCwo

etc etc. entire soundtrack is great, love all the town themes, all the dungeon themes....everything.)

12) Vanguard Bandits - (Great mech SRPG with tons of branching.)

13) The World Ends With You - (Starting to sound like a broken record now...but this had a brilliant battle system that utilised the touch screen superbly, having to do different stylus motions to use different powers. Story isn't that great, but the fun of fighting more then makes up for it. )

14) Dragon Quest VIII - (The story is good (no DQV though), the archaic DQ battles system still in place but made far more fun by the tension system, and the game world large, sprawling, and the first time I played, jaw dropping. Wonderful orchestral music too.)

15) Paper Mario : The Thousand Year Door - (fell in love with this game when I challenged for the wrasslin title)

Tunic

1) EarthBound (3 Points) - This game certainly wasn't my first RPG but it was definitely my favorite RPG experience of all time. I didn't get to play the game until recently but I am so glad that I did because I can certainly cherish the experience much more now as an adult. I felt fully engaged in the story and felt as though I was Ness and helping save the world with my friends. I even renamed the characters names to reflect that. From the music, the gameplay, the story, the characters, the weapons, the enemies, every aspect made it such and original and unique RPG experience.

2) Final Fantasy VI - I remember playing this game what nearly seemed every weekend with my friends back in middle school. It was my first RPG ever and it definitely set my roots into the genre. Biggs and Wedge leading Terra through the snow, just one of the many amazing moments in this game. Definitely a landmark title and a very very close 2nd to EarthBound in my eyes.

3) Chrono Trigger - Original and captivating. The setting and story are both amazing. Time traveling to prevent a post-apocalyptic world. Chrono Trigger also inspired many future RPGs and implemented many new features into the genre.

4) Final Fantasy IX - Excellent storyline and characters. Definitely felt a sense of adventure when I played this title. Vivi is certainly one of my favorite video game characters of all time.

5) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - A perfect merger of the Star Wars universe and a RPG game. This game has one of the best twists in video game history. The game also has an excellent use of a dialogue system that lets the player choose their own responses.

6) Mother 3
7) Mass Effect
8) The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
9) Xenoblade Chronicles
10) Grandia

Honorable Mentions
11) Final Fantasy VII
12) Xenogears
13) Vagrant Story
14) World of Warcraft
15) Kingdom Hearts

(Will add more comments shortly.)

Apenheul

1) Xenoblade Chronicles
The MMO-ish nature of Xenoblade Chronicles might turn some people off, but this title demonstrated to me that ambitious JRGPs can still be created. It does a lot of things really well and other things less well, but to me this was the best 120 hours I've spent on an RPG so far.

2) Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Still the best (IMO) in the Elder Scrolls series. The lore in this game is so interesting that I completely lost track of the main story and just wandered around having a great time, scanlining the whole island looking for loot I wasn't supposed to find yet. Perhaps Xenoblade Chronicles beat Morrowind in scope, but Morrowind still has a more interesting world.

3) Skies of Arcadia
The third on my list and by this time I realized that I value exploration most in RPGs. Again I spent a lot of time wandering around on the overworld looking for islands and treasures, and I thought the different cultures living on the islands were really interesting. I did think the ship-battles were a tad slow, and random encounters were a bit too frequent for my taste.

4) The World Ends With You
A refreshing take on the RPG genre and a battle-system I at first hated but grew to love. Without a doubt having visited Tokyo many times and recognizing landmarks has played its part for me though.

5) Dragon Quest IV
It was either this or V (haven't played III and VII yet) for this list and I chose IV because I found the different protagonist per chapter idea interesting, particularly Torneko the merchant, and the way each storyline takes place in a different part of the world until eventually you can travel all over the world.

7) Chrono Trigger
I never owned this game on SNES so the first time I played it was on the Virtual Console. What this game offers is the combination of a very likable cast, good pacing / progression, and interesting set pieces. I remember pretty much the whole game which isn't something I can say about most RPGs.

8) Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
Fire Emblem is one of my favorite series. I don't think any game in the series it's the best in the SRPG genre, but the series as a whole deserves a place on my list and I chose Path of Radiance to represent it. There is something to this series that Disgaea, FFT, and Tactics Ogre just don't do for me and I guess it has something to do with character development and permadeath.

9) Shin Megami Tensei: Nocture (Lucifer's Call)
Just like Fire Emblem, I chose SMT Nocturne to represent the SMT and Persona series. I only started playing it after it was found out that SMT4 marks the return of the "press turn" mechanic, and I wanted to find out what it was. I'm still not even halfway the game but it's left such an impression so far that I had to put it on the list. What defines this series for me is demon conversation and the alignment system.

10) Secret of Mana
I have to admit I've played better RPGs than this one (to be honest I think it's a mess), but the ability to play it with three players simultaneously makes it stand out. It's just so enjoyable to coordinate with your friends who's going to use which type of magic on a boss, who gets a new weapon or armor, and where the heck you should go. By the way, the sprite shall be named BLINKY.

Seda

8. Dark Cloud[/B] - Despite the huge amount of improvements the second game made, there's something about the simplicity of the first that draws me in much deeper than its sequel. I love leveling my weapons and building my towns.

Not often do I see people share my opinion here!

1) Breath of Fire 3

2) Final Fantasy Tactics (3 points) - Great strategy game. Has tons of depth and customizations. Add in a great story and characters makes this game a classic.

3) Persona 4: Golden

4) Final Fantasy X

5) Star Ocean 2

6) Disgaea 1

7) Front Mission 3

8) Persona 3

9) Dragon Age Origins

10) Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together

Honorable Mentions

11) Final Fantasy 7

12) Disgaea 4

13) World of Warcraft

14) Saga Frontier

BeesEight

Phew, that was more work than I anticipated. I don't think I've played any new RPGs this year and I still haven't gotten around to playing some "classics" like Mask of the Betrayer, Planescape: Torment, Dark Souls or Deus Ex. But I've never participated in one of these so here we go:

kC6FM.jpg

1) Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn [PC] 3 Points

"Life... is strength." This guy. This guy right here. David Warner's slick and sinister vocalization of the villainous Jon Irenicus is probably the most enduring element of BioWare's role-playing masterpiece. There is little doubt that Shadows of Amn is the Western RPG. Despite the utilization of a clunky 2.5 D&D ruleset conjured for the game alone, the second installment of the Baldur's Gate "trilogy" is a pitch perfect combination of gorgeous painted backdrops, engrossing epic narrative, surprisingly deep party member interactions and a combat system that will have you frantically pausing and planning throughout the entire game. The rich modding community and decent expansions are just icing on the cake. This game is the reason people wistfully long for sprawling plots that take over a hundred hours to complete and carry you across numerous exotic locations. The scope of this game is truly staggering but it is that damnable Jon Irenicus that will keep you pressing through pirate coves, haunted graveyards, hellish planes and alien caverns. It's countless sidequests are as engaging and realized as many main arcs in more modern tales. It may not be the deepest story but it is superbly handled and captures the right elements of the hero's journey to make it more mythical than anything else. BioWare and Black Isle had stumbled upon true gold here and both companies would be haunted by it ever since.

MUtCh.jpg

2) Chrono Trigger [NDS, PSX, SNES]

Nostalgia is a power emotion that almost always insures that the best games are always something from our childhood. The classic tunes and aged art have a way of sending us back to a simpler, fonder time. Thus, it was a stroke of pure brilliance when a game was designed to specifically tap into these emotions. Chrono Trigger represents the height of the powerhouse that was the nineties JRPG video game industry. It's an epic story that crosses generations and epochs but starts so innocuously at a simple village fair. Our mute protagonist is accidentally swept away on the grandest journey that would have him jumping back and forth through time meeting friends and enemies as welcoming and terrifying as they are familiar and alien. The story is gripping and one of the rare times that I would be so invested in the characters I was moved during the emotional climaxes. The music is powerful and memorable, striking the perfect score for every leg of the adventure. The characters are fully realized, the gameplay is unendingly enjoyable, the graphics are beautiful and the choices and actions you make will decide one of thirteen unique endings. The only blemish on this game is Square's poor handling of the series and refusal to ever return to it again.

Qltod.jpg

3) Fallout: New Vegas [Steam, PS3, Xbox 360]

Perhaps the most tragic tale in New Vegas is the one about the developer themselves. They had to abandon the property when Interplay closed down Black Isle. Then they had to watch Bethesda scoop it up and put out Fallout 3 - an interesting but ultimately shallow version of the original post-apocalyptic role-playing game. The most endearing feature of the Fallout series is it's throw back to 1950's Americana in a dystopia future ravaged by atomic warfare in a market inundated with generic fantasy stories of Tolkien elves and stubby dwarves. While Bethesda attempted to replicate the same feel, they fell quite short of reaching anything close to the morally complex and intriguing originals with their baby-eating, puppy kicking villains and third-world charity organizing paladins in gleaming bright power armour. Then came the opportunity of a lifetime and Obsidian was given the chance to make a spin-off of 3. Perhaps Bethesda thought they could cash in quickly with a "sequel" to their aging and crippled Gamebryo engine. What they probably didn't expect was for New Vegas to outsell 3 or to be far better than their take in almost every conceivable way. This was Fallout at its finest with deep characters, superb writing, a sense of history and a handful of philosophy driven factions fighting over the war torn deserts surrounding the bomb shattered ruins of the Vegas Strip. This was the original Fallout's development team's swan song, however, as they failed to reach the critical benchmark set by their contracts to receive the bonus they deserved and needed thus ensuring the two companies will likely never work together again. But this is Obsidian at its finest with writing that demonstrates games aren't just for kids and that stories can be far more than your classic "good versus evil." Everyone needs to die to cazadors at least once in their life.

OXs7U.jpg

4) Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 [PS2, PS Vita]

If there was one award I would give Atlus, it would be for having the most incomprehensible lyrics for a song. If there was a second award I could give, it would be for making the best modern JRPGs. While the rest of the industry across the sea seems to have stagnated, Atlus continues to create interesting, stylish, compelling and damn well made games. I'm a relative new comer to the Shin Megami Tensei series which has been around since the early nineties. Which is a shame since their trademark is the utilization and exploration of every mythos, fable and legend known to mankind. All of their series I have tried have been fantastic, from the bizarre but Hindu inspired Digital Devil Saga to the turned base tactic handheld Devil Summoners. However, it is their Persona series that has really taken off. These games follow a bunch of teenagers who can summon Thor, Thanatos and Lucifer in order to do battle with the psychological worries and traumas that plague their community. Persona 3 was a turning point in the series both for including dating simulator elements into their game in a way that wasn't creepy as well for having their kids shoot themselves in the head to perform magic. And while Persona 4 regrettably dropped the ego suicide summoning tactics for tarot cards, they did manage to improve the formula in every other way possible. The menus are slick, the music is stupid but catchy, the characters are morons but infinitely endearing and you can fight black blobs by invoking the power of a penis riding a spike covered chariot.

ZxtS6.jpg

5) Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines [Steam]

This isn't Twilight and if you were expecting something pretty you're going to be disappointed. Flawed but ambitious is perhaps the best way to describe some of the greatest RPGs ever created. And if you don't believe me that this game is ambitious, you need to try a Malkavian playthrough. There are many parallels we can draw between Troika studios and Obsidian. Not least is an emphasis on expert storytelling and complex characterization perhaps to the detriment of a game that unfortunately becomes riddled with bugs and reaches a point where it's obvious the developers ran out of time to finish (which unfortunately led to Troika's demise). Despite its flaws, Bloodlines captures the tortured life of monsters doomed to pitiful power struggles as they slowly watch their humanity melt away that was intrinsic to the White Wolf tabletop game. If you've never heard of White Wolf or Vampire the Masquerade before then get ready for a take on vampires that you will have never seen. It's sexy and soul sucking with each new location bringing to focus a different aspect of damnation. Strap in and enjoy, just beware the park at night.

tjUhL.jpg

6) The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim [Steam, PS3, Xbox 360]

Skyrim is as much about what it lacks as it is about what it possesses. This isn't a game with an amazing storyline. The characters are easily forgettable. The dialogue is pretty inane and given rise to a couple of memes because of how annoying it can be. The combat still degrades into "run backwards and mash attack until things are dead" that has characterized the series for at least four entries. The loot is atrocious. The highly touted "Radiant" quest design is incredibly repetitive. But despite its flaws, there is one thing that Skyrim does and it does like no other game: atmosphere. More than any other entry in the series, Bethesda has perfectly nailed its setting and wandering the snowy hinterland beneath the gaze of towering, mist veiled mountains is unlike anything found anywhere else. While picking your way through a forest of looming pine trees a sudden snow squall will descended and before you know it, a chorus of viking warriors will raise their voices from the tumbling drifts as the screech of a fearsome Elder Dragon fills the air right before the mighty beast descends upon you. It is those moments that make Skyrim stand above other role-playing games. If exploration and self driven discovery aren't your thing, you'll find nothing of value here. But if you love just throwing yourself into a foreign land and finding things on your own then war-torn Skyrim might just be the place for you. One final word of advice: always purchase your Bethesda games on PC as they support a modding community that makes the game so much better that you'll forget what the original release was like.

yQxVH.jpg

7) Final Fantasy 6 [SNES, PSX, GBA]

I have no idea how this game doesn't make it on the list of the guy who debuted in it. Final Fantasy 6 (or 3 if you're American) was the last Final Fantasy on the Super Nintendo and our last hope we'll get Setzer in a Smash Bros. Perhaps all the stars aligned for this one but for whatever reason, Final Fantasy 6 hit all the high notes with not a single element to drag it down. You know this is an epic not because it has a story unfolding over two major acts with fourteen different characters but because it has one of the definitive opera scenes in gaming history. And much like Baldur's Gate, this game's antagonist leaves a permanent impression on the player. There is a reason that Kefka comes up as the most fearsome villain of the series and least of all is the fact that he seems to just have plain, good old fashioned maniacal fun throughout the thing. It also gave us Woolseyisms which, love them or hate them, had a ton of character. I'm disappointed that Square didn't keep some of them when they retranslated the game in its numerous re-releases. In my heart, you still cry "Son of a submariner!" to me, Kefka!

3ffy7.jpg

8) Alpha Protocol [Steam, PS3, Xbox 360]

This is the greatest RPG that no one played. Watching the review thread and OT on Gaf for this game was very interesting. For some inexplicable reason, it seemed reviewers were divided but not how you would expect. Those who reviewed the game in Europe had an average score 20 points higher than those in America. I'm not a sociologist to analyze this data but the most common complaint about Alpha Protocol was that it was not Mass Effect. While BioWare fever seemed to be at it's highest pitch, Alpha Protocol came and went. It's continued existence seems to be solely attributed to the handful of people that actually played it and espoused it's virtues beyond not being an action space opera. Primarily, the choice and consequence of this game is mind blowing. This is more than a couple of binary choices at key locations. How you choose to proceed through three hubs and the order in which you accomplish them can have rippling effects from different dialogue to making bosses incredibly trivial or changing the entire outcome of the game. All this and it's delivered with Obsidian's trademark charm and skill through dialogue and characterization. I challenge anyone to not like Heck by the end. The combat is unbalanced and there's a few non-game breaking bugs but overall it's one of Obsidian's most polished efforts.

vNmvp.jpg

9) Diablo 2 [PC]

What is there to say about Diablo? It is a game that spawned a genre and yet remains the least plumbed franchise from Blizzard. It's an action-rpg with little focus on story and greater concern about clicking and looting. However, it works and Diablo II is the uncontested king of its series. It was bigger, bolder and better than it's predecessor with an online as unforgiving as it was thrilling. It offered a lot in terms of play, least of which was the present danger that, unless you were in a password protected game, some jerk could load in at any given time and hunt you through the twisting, randomly generated levels in search of your prized ear and a handful of gold like a ravenous Mike Tyson. I, shamefully, was one of those people and by the time I'd finally hung up my Diablo hat I possessed a brimming chest full of unfortunate auricula from innocent souls. But even if you weren't a jerk, the game had four acts capped with terrifying boss monsters and a treasure trove of obtainable loot that could be combined to turn you into a champion of glowing justice. Or, after the hundredth time some asshole sorceress teleports in to steal all your loot, you let that savagery take over until you hunt that witch down and rip her lobes from her bloody skull.

jM0Zk.jpg

10) Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords [Steam, Xbox]

The Sith Lords is the follow-up of BioWare's grossly popular Knights of the Old Republic. It was a broken, unfinished mess rushed hastily out the door just in time to be completely ignored for the Christmas season. It was a game that was sent to die with the small prayer that it would at least make enough to cover development costs based on its name alone. And yet, it's still one of the best western role-playing games ever made and easily the best Star Wars story ever told. It miraculously took the cookie-cutter, cardboard cut-out character of the first and somehow made a compelling, deep character driven story without showing that character once. It was so much better than the original that BioWare promptly ignored and retconned it when they were handed the reigns to make their "sequel" MMO. Which is a shame, since Obsidian designed the game to by the second of a trilogy so we'll never see their ending of a story that took the Star Wars universe in a direction it had never gone before. Was this worth full price at release? Probably not, but the game can be had for a pittance now and with the fan driven Restoration Mod (which I have yet to try) it is certainly to be the most compelling story about the fall of the Jedi with one of the best written characters in the industry.

Honourable Mentions

1. Suikoden 5 [PS2] - I've always wanted to play Suikoden II since it comes up on so many Best RPGs of All Time lists. However, I have had zero luck in securing a copy. Suikoden V came out in 2006 and I grabbed it based on the hype of its predecessor alone. I do not regret this decision as it is an interesting style of turn based gameplay with probably the least offensive use of quick time events I've ever seen. Containing over 100 recruitable NPCs with varying levels of development and depth, it has all the trappings of a standard JRPG combined with that collective drive of a Pokemon game. Unfortunately, the combat is far too easy and the plot does start straying into some standard JRPG tropes which precludes it from the actual top ten list. I never see it discussed, however, and I certainly feel that it remains a mighty fine game on its own even if it never replicates the supposed perfections of II.

2. The Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall [PC] - I think everyone remembers their first Elder Scrolls game fondly. Consequently, the sequel is always an enormous disappointment since Bethesda has been doing nothing but cutting from their original formula with each iteration. I hated Morrowind for everything that was missing from Daggerfall. The world was smaller, there were less skills, dungeons weren't randomized, the spell system was restricted and on and on it goes. Unfortunately, Daggerfall is an old game and while it's bizarre mix of 2D sprites in a 3D environment certainly allowed them a lot more freedom in their designs the game really shows its age. I don't put a lot of weight on graphics but there is no denying its ugliness by modern standards and that can certainly impede a player's enjoyment. Furthermore, there's a fair amount of unintuitive design which was common for older games but pretty inexcusable now. Despite this, climbing and jumping across the roofs of the marketplace beneath the spires of Palace Sentinel while being pursued by an army of guards in the hopes of reclaiming their ancestral dagger is a gaming experience that will remain with me forever.

3. Tales of Phantasia [SNES, GBA, PSX, PSP] - I haven't played any Tales games since this one so it still remains my only experience with the curious action/rpg hybrid of the series. The story is pure Japanese but back from a time before we got into really cringe worthy main characters and plots. It carries a lot of nostalgia like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI but just never reached the same level of intricate but beautiful blend of compelling narrative, characters and combat. But, I think I'll always be fond of that whimsical main theme which captures the spirit of the game perfectly. I've been told Tales of Vesperia is really good and perhaps when I get around to actually playing it, it may sneak into my Top Ten. Course, I need a 360 first.

4. Mass Effect [PC, PS3, Xbox 360] - Oh Bioware, how the mighty do fall. Here is a company that just can not escape from beneath the enormous shadow of Baldur's Gate. Every game they make is compared to that classic and all of them come up wanting after analysis. Mass Effect, however, stands out amongst their middling fare by being one that at least succeeded in offering a unique experience. While they certainly borrowed their fair share of ideas from Star Wars for their own take on the space opera, the universe they created is far more interesting than anything else they've developed. Unfortunately, a number of unique design decisions BioWare thought were revolutionary to the genre instead of just a quirky element to this game were applied far too liberally to their other games with disastrous results. The sequels are also hilariously bad. At the very least, the series has been entertaining whether you enjoy the gameplay or just how much of a train wreck BioWare is capable of creating with their own properties.

5. Seiken Densetsu 3 [SNES] - Grab your hipster glasses, here's a game that never saw an English release. For us baka gaijin who don't understand the glorious tongue from the Land of the Rising Sun we had to rely on a fan translation of this crazy real-time action-RPG. Which is a shame since the game features six playable characters across three interweaving plot lines and is the only Japanese game I am aware of that has unique interactions between certain party members if you select them together. Its class system incorporated branching light/dark selections which gave you four different end classes for each character. There was also a passage of time system which strengthened your magic if you used it at the appropriate hour as well as having unique encounters on certain days. The story was silly but it had a character incongruously sharing my name which seemed bizarre given the setting but was no doubt unique and foreign for the original Japanese audience. It was fun, fantastical and certainly another gem of Japan's RPG golden years.

1. Final Fantasy VI- (3 points). This is, in my opinion, the most perfect game ever created, with a rich storyline, layers of character development, haunting music, and the only time in any RPG ever where the bad-guy won.

2. Chrono Trigger. It also has a great storyline, and at the time time travel was very novel. The battle system is great, and this game holds up to this very day.

3. World of Warcraft. The lore fell apart in the end, but in the early days, this was like a second world.

4. Ogre Battle. Introduced the Ogre series, had a interesting and novel battle system, and one of the first forays of Japanese RPG developers into character customization. Also had multiple endings.

5. Final Fantasy Tactics. This game arguably launched a new subgenre of strategy RPGs, and was one of the most richly detailed games I've ever played.

TWILT

Banned
1) Chrono Trigger –
vwEt5.jpg

Easily my favorite RPG of all time. There is so much to love about this game. Maybe it’s the great time travel story and characters. Maybe it’s the simple, but great battle system. Maybe it’s the amazing soundtrack and 2D visuals. Whatever it is, this game truly feels timeless and if you’re an RPG fan and haven’t play Chrono Trigger, you’re missing out.

2) Persona 4 –
KIbWL.jpg

The game is simply amazing. It has some of the best characters and story in any RPG I’ve played. From the engaging social links, to the fun battle system, to the amazing music (reach out to the truth!), to the great style and atmosphere, I was always playing Persona 4 with a smile on my face.

3) Xenoblade Chronicles –
j0wQ6.jpg

Though I’ve only played it this year, it was all I needed to see how amazing the game was. Xenoblade has so much depth to it, and it’s just so interesting. It’s one of the few games where I have fun exploring everything and it looks absolutely beautiful too. The battle system is plenty of fun and there is also so much to do in the game. It’s also easily my game of the year of 2012.

4) Dark Souls –
N0eoY.jpg

I was hesitant about buying this game at first after hearing about it's difficulty, but I'm so glad I did. Dark Souls is one of my favorite games to come out this gen. It would have easily been my game of the year of 2011 if I played it when it came out that year. Amazing atmosphere, with amazing gameplay, that is really addictive and so damn satisfying.

5) The World Ends With You –
ztcMq.jpg

This game has so much style to it. Easily having one of the best battle systems ever, the game is super fun and has a deep storyline. One of the best portable games ever, the game just screams style. Incredibly addictive and one of the best RPG soundtracks ever.

6) Valkyria Chronicles –
AmPEO.jpg

One of my favorite PS3 exclusive games, Valkyria Chronicles has a really fun battle system that had a lot of strategy involved in it. It’s also absolutely beautiful with great characters. I only wish that it’s sequels were as good as it.

7) Final Fantasy VII –
xawRN.jpg

The game may be a little overrated, but for me, it’s still my favorite Final Fantasy game. I’m not just saying this because of nostalgia either (the first time I played it was 2 years ago). While the game has definitely shown it’s age, I still love the music, story, and overall gameplay. Now if only I could get that remake…

8) Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal/HeartGold/SoulSilver –
k96si.jpg

I can’t have a favorite RPG list without a little Pokemon. The 2nd gen titles in particular blew me away when I was a kid. They are the only Pokemon games I say are near perfect. The 2nd gen games also had some of my favorite Pokemon designs ever (Cyndaquil is the best starter ever~).

9) Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn –
hKzM7.jpg

It was tough for me to decide whether I liked Path of Radiance or this more, but in the end, I picked Radiant Dawn because how much fun I had playing my first Fire Emblem. The game is incredibly addictive (I believe I have 5 playthroughs) and it’s probably my favorite SRPG. It also holds the most resets in a game I’ve had because I never want them to die forever.

10) Baten Kaitos Origins –
Icx8k.jpg

Barely making my top ten, Baten Kaitos Origins, like the rest of my top ten, was amazing. I loved the faster (compared to the first game) paced card battle system, and the game looked absolutely beautiful. Not to mention, it actually had decent voice acting! Having a very interesting story and characters, I'll never forget my favorite Gamecube RPG ever.

Honorable Mentions:

11) Demons Souls
12) Final Fantasy VI
13) Final Fantasy X
14) Mother 3
15) Persona 3 FES

Unranked Honorable Mentions:

Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Mario and Luigi series
Kingdom Hearts 2
Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow/FireRed/LeafGreen
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and The Lost Ocean
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Disgaea series

Phew, making this list was hard. May update this later...

Grief.exe

These are in no particular order, already asking me to whittle down some of my favorite games ever to 10 games is hard enough. Ranking them would be even harder!

Great thread though! Can't wait to see what the final tallies will be.

Top Ten

Dark Souls

Absolutely blown away by this game when I played it this year, I had heard it was a great game but Dark Souls exceeded my expectations in every way, shape, and form. What really makes this stand out is a game that refuses to insult your intelligence or skill, truly one of the best games I have ever played.

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

I remember playing through this game on the Xbox when I was younger and being completely blown away by the depth of the world. There were so many things to do, factions to join, items to find, the list goes on and on. Playing this game again on PC is truly a treat with the amount of visual mods available (http://i.minus.com/i5bc9wf0FRWNf.jpg http://i.minus.com/i39HXyGErwqPY.jpg http://i.minus.com/i46gKb9hauSN2.jpg).

The Story hooks you in and quest system is infinitely deep, and I enjoy the character progression and level up system to this day. There are some negatives, especially the dice roll based combat system, but the game still holds up today.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

When I first beat this game, I played the last 10-15 hours in basically one sitting. I just was not capable of putting the controller down.

What can I say? Amazing story, writing, character design, combat system, and character building. The latter two don't hold up as well today, but still a fun game throughout.

World of Warcraft

One of my first MMORPGS, and the greatest the genre has ever produced. WoW placed you in a massive world with interesting environments to explore, level up, and acquire gear. Stepping into this game for the first time was awe inspiring, exploring all of these unknown, massive areas was something I hadn't experienced on that scale before.

Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy VI

Mass Effect

Pokemon Gold/Silver

I was tempted to put Blue/Red here just because it was the first pokemon and brings back so many great memories, but at the time Gold/Silver was just an amazing step forward for the series. This game truly perfected the formula started in the first games and then added an amazing amount of content on top of that. Mind blowing for the time.

Probably going to play through this again in Heart Gold/Soul Silver on the DS very soon.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

I honestly haven't played this game yet, but Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario 64 are two of my favorite RPGs of all time. I am putting this here only because i have heard that this is the ultimate Paper Mario game. I will be playing this through on Dolphin over Christmas break, maybe before this vote even goes live.

The Witcher 2

CD Projekt Red truly delivered with this game. After the success of The Witcher 1, they took the story and the genre and transplanted it into a game with a brand new engine, RPG mechanics, and combat system and they succeeded in every way. The studio crafted one of the best looking games of all time visually, developed for the high-end PC in mind. The combat system from the first game has been thoroughly tweaked and perfected into something that is more of an action game while being incredibly fun and difficult at times.

Looking forward to Cyber Punk and The Witcher 3.

Honorable Mentions

The World Ends With You

Mount & Blade: Warband

The Binding of Isaac

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
Fantastic plot with a very fun job system

Final Fantasy XII
Most innovative Final Fantasy with the greatest gameplay thus far in a main title.

Kingdom Hearts
Fantastic Action RPG with a lot of passion put into it

Xilium

Banner-FFX_zps9c3d34ff.jpg

1. Final Fantasy X - A lot of people tend to gravitate towards their first FF's being their favorites but for some reason that wasn't the case for me (my first was FFVI). I've liked every FF since IV (yes, that includes XIII/XIII-2) but FFX got the right balance of a really good combat system (perfected in X-2), good sidequest/mini-games, interesting story, memorable characters, and probably the best character leveling system of the series. There aren't too many games I like to replay, but this is one of them.

Banner-FFXII_zpsf14577c2.jpg

2. Final Fantasy XII - My favorite FF game. I sometimes go back and forth between this game and X, but I think I'm going to stick with XII this time. FFX comes out on top in terms of gameplay due to its combat and leveling system but FFXII comes out on top for me in world building and characters. Of the FF worlds, Ivalice is my favorite and I feel FFXII did a really good job in creating a believable (within the context of the game) and consistent atmosphere. The characters...just worked. I know some people had problems with Vaan and Penelo but they are probably the least offensive of the teenage protagonists in an FF game (they're actually pretty decent characters). It's a shame that the game went through development hell because it's easy to see a lot of the unrealized potential in the story (especially towards the end, where it starts to fall apart/become rushed) and characters (the main villain was obviously meant to be a deeper character) but nevertheless, it's still a very well made game. Play the international release if you can get your hands on it.

Banner-VampireBloodlines_zpsa721552a.jpg

3. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines - This is the RPG that taught me what style of WRPG I like most. I came into WRPGs pretty late in my gaming life and except for KOTOR, most of the popular WRPGs were of the seamless open-world variety (Bethesda style). I like many of the mechanics of WRPGs (character/class creation, dialog/choice systems, branching paths, multiple ways of completing objectives, ect.) but I found that when given too much freedom and not enough direction, I get bored pretty quick. Bloodlines provided me with the mechanics I like about WRPGs but limited free-roaming to smaller, open hubs and kept the main story path interesting and a central focus.

Banner-FalloutNewVegas_zps12ae1e1b.jpg

4. Fallout: New Vegas - The only seamless open-world RPG I've ever finished. In my quest to become more familiar with WRPGs, I've tried many of the open world style RPGs (Elder Scrolls Series, Fallout 3, Risen 2, Divinity 2, Two World 2, ect.) as those seem to be the most popular but after about 10 or so hours, I would completely loss interest and drop the game. I think it might be because of the faction system and how the sidequest tied in more directly with the main story (so they didn't just feel like filler) that made this game stand out from the others (Obsidian's writing helped too).

Banner-TalesoftheAbyss_zpsa7e63f4e.jpg

5. Tales of the Abyss - This game had my favorite ensemble of characters in a Tales game. The tense relationship between the characters, especially towards the protagonist, just made them feel like a more believable spontaneous group of adventures compared to many other RPGs at the time of this game's release. It's an otherwise very well made Tales game with an interesting story and decent combat system. People should know by now whether or not they are a fan of Tales games, so if they are and haven't played this one yet, they should.

Banner-ChronoTrigger_zps91504159.jpg

6. Chrono Trigger - Best use of time travel in a game. It's also a very well made game with memorable characters and innovative game design (for its time). People have been praising this game for almost two decades now so I don't think much elaboration is needed.

Banner-KOTORII_zps852fbe32.jpg

7. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - Star Wars + RPG = Awesome. I personally enjoyed this game more than the first mostly because I like Obsidian's character and story writing. That said, like many Obsidian games, it was released unfinished and wasn't fully realized upon release but regardless, the game is very well done leading up till the end. For the PC version of the game, you can download the content restoration patch for a more fully realized version of the game.

Banner-TheWitcher2_zpse5c2f16a.jpg

8. The Witcher 2 - If I could have this game with Dark Soul's combat system, it would probably be in direct competition with FFXII as my favorite RPG (that said, CD Projekt at least put some effort in trying to make their combat system good). This is another game with a very well realized (if not somewhat cliche) world with a small pinch of dark fantasy sprinkled on top. The characters in the game have a good bit of personality and you legitimately come to like or hate them. The primary draw of this game for me though is it's dialog/morality system, and by extension, it's branching storyline. The idea of a morality system and alternate storylines has always been one of the biggest, if not the biggest, draws of WRPGs for me and why I tried so hard to like them. Between the KOTOR games, Dragon Age: Origins, and Mass Effect I thought Bioware would be the light at the end of the tunnel for me but their dialog systems ultimately were too binary and the illusion of your choices having any real impact on the story was never fully realized. The Witcher 2 satisfies on both of these fronts by having a morality system that offers varying shades of grey morality options as opposed to the traditional good/evil choices and provides key choices that have major impacts on the main story and provides legitimate branching storylines. I only hope they don't end up dropping the ball with Witcher 3 in terms of player choice but I have faith in CD Projekt.

Banner-Persona4_zps0bd9fecb.jpg

9. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 - For me, this game has the overall best cast of characters for an RPG I've played. The Persona games put much of their focus on interacting with your party members as well as other important npc in the world to increase your social link ranks, which in turn increase your combat effectiveness. This leads to the game being half traditional JRPG and half social simulator/visual novel(ish) but it works. More so than most games, you really come to know and appreciate your party members and you end up looking forward to and enjoying just hanging out and conversing with them. As for everything else, the story is interesting, the combat is pretty standard fare but can be quite challenging (though not as bad as previous games in the series), and the persona system is unique and adds a fun (though possibly frustrating) collection mini-game. This game is highly recommended though be warned it has A LOT of dialog, so be prepared to be in it for the long haul.

Banner-DarkSouls_zps256fea06.jpg

10. Dark Souls - I suck at this game. Playing through this game is actually pretty depressing and frustrating for me because I've never been very good at the anti-button mashing style combat systems of some games (Street Fighter, Devil May Cry, ect.) but I have a lot of respect for them and enjoying playing around with them. Probably my biggest issue with WRPGs is that I think their combat systems are, for the most part, boring/shit (especially those of the first-person variety) and since that is the thing you do the most in just about every RPG, it really weighs those games down for me. Conversely, having a good/decent combat system is one primary reasons I like JRPGs so it doesn't surprise me that it took a Japanese developer to advance the single-character, more grounded action RPG combat system traditionally seen in WRPGs. The magic portion of the combat system could use some work but otherwise, the Dark Souls combat system should really become the baseline system for all ARPGs going for the more realistic style of combat (doesn't need to be as punishing, just needs to play in a similar fashion). Beyond that, the atmosphere and indirect storytelling of Dark Souls is very well done and makes it stand out from other RPGs. That said, I wouldn't mind a less creepy version of the game.

Honorable Mentions -

Banner-StarOcean3_zpsc9ffe837.jpg

11. Star Ocean 3: Till the End of Time - I don't know if it's because of the crafting system or the fun characters or what, but I've sunk a lot of hours into this game. In terms of total package, it's my favorite Star Ocean game. It doesn't really do anything exceptionally great that makes it stand out from other titles but other than the game's story breaking the Star Ocean universe, it doesn't do anything bad either. It's just a very well made game that is a lot of fun to play and provides a good chunk of post game content.

Banner-ChronoCross_zpsdb2e8c66.jpg

12. Chrono Cross - This game has one of my favorite video game OSTs as well as one of my favorite title/opening videos. The game is ultimately not as good as its predecessor (possibly due to development issues) and the party roster is overkill but the game is still very good. I liked how colorful the game is, its unique (at the time) combat system (possibly the predecessor to FFXIII's system), and I liked most of the main cast of characters.

Banner-DragonsDogma_zps7b7965d6.jpg

13. Dragon's Dogma - Second only to the Soul games in terms of ARPG combat systems (in a fantasy setting). I'll be honest, this game lives solely by it's gameplay. The lore/story could be interesting but is never really expanded upon, the characters are in a similar boat as they don't get enough face time to be anything other than quest givers, and the world itself is a pretty by-the-books fantasy setting. That said, the combat system is awesome. It's not at the same level of realism as the Soul games but at the same time, it's not Kingdom Hearts aerial combo chains level of crazy either. The combat is not as hard as challenging/unforgiving Soul games but nevertheless rewards players for not simply button mashing and playing to your class's and party member's (pawns) strengths. Most importantly for me, as someone that typically plays a mage character/class, it is SO refreshing to play a game in which magic is something that is truly powerful and something to be feared/marveled at. Too often in games, magic just feels like a pallet swap for archery so it's nice to see a game do the magical glass canon properly. The mechanics in place for fight large enemies was also very well done, if not sometimes goofy looking (when climbing up/across them)The sequel to this game has the potential to really be something great and I hope Capcom really works on improving all the other aspects of the game.

Banner-AlphaProtocol_zps1db7070c.jpg

14. Alpha Protocol - Another Obsidian game that had the potential to be great but ultimately came out unfinished. Hints of fully fleshed out character arcs can be seen but they end abruptly and the combat system works for those going through the game using a stealth build and a pistol (which I did) but is rather broken for those that take the more direct approach. That said, besides the usual good writing associated with Obsidian, the game does a really good job with it's choice/dialog system. For instance, the order in which you complete the missions you're given is important because your choices during a mission or the simple act of completing a mission could have positive or negative consequences for subsequent missions. Your interactions with npcs will provide different perks based on whether they like or dislike you (they're even given in-game context) and it's the first game I recall having a timer for making dialog choices. I wish this game could get a completed HD remake or a spiritual successor but that is very unlikely to happen. At the very least, I wish Bioware would still their choices and consequences system of dialog and mission structure.

Banner-TheLastRemnant_zpsff2681a6.jpg

15. The Last Remnant - Another game that had some good ideas but was lacking in polish. In terms of story and characters, this game really doesn't stand out much in relation to other RPGs (pretty standard JRPG stuff for the most part). The two big things that held this game back though was SquareEnix's inexperience with the Unreal Engine which lead to technically underwhelming (pop-ins, slowdown, ect.) 360 release (which could be partially fixed by installing to HDD, and mostly fixed by playing the PC release) and the games odd leveling system (which sort of punished you for leveling too quickly in the first half of the game and pretty much made party members that joined in the second half of the game useless as they were under leveled). Assuming you can get past those to issues, the game has a really interesting and fun combat system that makes it worth playing. Rather than attacking with individual characters, the game instead has you form squads/unions (the # you can have and the # of units per union is based on level to a max of 5 each) and it's the unions as a whole that you control in battle by issuing general/broad commands. It would take a while to fully explain the system but it should be something people at least watch some videos on Youtube of.

Unranked Honorable Mentions
Sequel/Prequels to some of the aforementioned games (KOTOR, The Witcher, Persona Series, SO series, FFX-2, Demon's Soul)
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Final Fantasy IV - XIII-2
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Mass Effect
Dragon Age: Origins
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Suikoden Series
Xenosaga Series
Front Mission 4
Fire Emblem Series
Radiata Stories
Valkyria Chronicles
Tales of Vesperia
Dishonored
The Legend of Dragoon
Kingdom Hearts 1/2
Pokemon series
Nier

Man, this is hard. There are so many games I haven't played, and so many games that I haven't touched in a long, LONG time that are still very good.

So, in light of that, this list is basically ordered by what comes to mind first:

1. Dragon's Dogma - Despite its flaws, it is absolutely my game of the year and possibly my most favorite game of all time. It is complete, perfect wish fulfillment. No other game nails the feeling of fighting a big, oversized monster like Dragon's Dogma does. The combination of the combat, the music, the excellent character customization (including the pawns!), and the big open world (not as big as others, but still big enough) make for an experience that is just completely unlike any other. It's like someone made a game just for me. I also loved the direction the story took towards the end, and look forward to seeing what twists Dark Arisen brings us next year.

2. Phantasy Star Online 2 - This might be unfair to those who just can't get past the moonrunes, but this game is ace. While the combat isn't as good as Dragon's Dogma, it is certainly up there. It basically takes all the good things from the previous games and throws in a big heaping of random events to spice things up. Thing is, Dragon's Dogma makes this game look a little bad in comparison. It just does so many of the same things, only better. Even so, the co-op aspect elevates it above many of its peers, and the sci-fi aesthetic is a lovely breath of fresh air after so many fantasy games. The update pace alone is freakishly insane, with some pretty massive updates coming every month in two parts. I've never seen a developer match that kind of update schedule before, and do consistently, at that.

3. The Witcher 2 - I don't have a whole lot to say about this. It just did so many things right - the graphics are excellent, the writing is compelling and competently done, the music is wonderful, but what really sells this game is how much impact your choices have on the direction of the story and the game world itself. Really a lovely RPG, even though the protagonist is static.

4. EVE Online - The premiere sandbox MMO, EVE Online remains unmatched in the online space in terms of just the sheer amount of control and variety players have in their chosen place in the game world. The most recent patch really cemented this - now bounty hunting is a viable career, adding further to the game's incredibly large selection of player occupations. Become a trader, a manufacturer, a researcher, a planetary mogul, an explorer, a corporate soldier, and more besides! It just keeps on getting better and better. It also wins bonus points for having such a beautifully dark and gritty sci-fi aesthetic. It's just so unlike anything else out there (among video games, that is - plenty of TV shows and movies to draw comparisons to).

5. Chrono Cross - I confess, I never did play through Chrono Trigger. I don't know why, but it just didn't really 'click' with me. I did, however, play through the entirety of its sequel... and boy, what a journey it was! Though they went overboard with the character roster (with many of them never getting fleshed out beyond their introduction), there was just so much to see and so many twists and turns in the storyline that I was enraptured from start to finish. Also has one of the best soundtracks of all time.

6. Knights of the Old Republic II - Preferably with the content restoration mod that actually completes the game. I absolutely adore this game for taking Star Wars in a direction I never thought I'd see. Kreia still remains my favorite Star Wars character of all time. She was just so full of wisdom that I couldn't help but admire her, even when she was berating me for my failures.

7. Baldur's Gate II - I've put hundreds of hours into this RPG series, and it's easy to see why. So much to see and do, so many interesting stories to uncover, so many lovingly-written characters to meet. The journey from the initial Baldur's Gate, to the conclusion in Throne of Bhaal, is simply one without equal in single-player RPGs, even to this day. I put so much investment into my character and their journey from bookworm to godhood. Still one of the best.

8. Final Fantasy VII - Yes, this was my first foray into the realm of JRPGs, played when I was still a wee lad. There's not much more to say than that - it hooked me, and I didn't stop until Safer(Seraph) Sephiroth blew my party to pieces with a bloody supernova. Unfortunately, it is to this day the only Final Fantasy I have actually managed to play to completion.

9. Guild Wars 2 - While I have many problems with this game, I still enjoy it greatly for finally getting rid of so many of the old MMORPG foibles that have been plaguing the genre for nearly a decade. It's very beautiful (with SweetFX help), the character customization is fairly strong, the combat is competently done, and there's so much stuff to see and do. I still haven't achieved world completion!

10. The Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim - While admittedly I tend to use it as a mod platform more than an actual game, it's just such a beautifully well-realized world that I can't help but include it on here. There is simply no equal out there when it comes to creating a world that is just so easy to get lost in, even if it is superficial. As a rather visual gamer, the ability to get lost in another world is a very big thing for me, and this game does it better than just about everything else.

Honorable Mentions

Dark Souls - I have to mention it here, because I do recognize the achievement that it represents, even if the game itself isn't exactly to my liking. Very beautiful, very dark, very unforgiving.

Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 - Just lots of fun. I don't remember beating the second, and in fact, I don't remember much about it at all, but it was still a fun ride, and one of the strangest partnerships in the history of video games.

Neverwinter Nights II: Mask of the Betrayer - Like all Obsidian games, it just has some of the most excellent writing. Obsidian's writers in general seem to put Bioware's to shame. I also rather enjoyed the gameplay, despite how frustrating it could be at times.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines - I can't believe I almost forgot this one. It's an excellent roleplaying game, through and through. So much intrigue, so many roleplaying opportunities, it's definitely one of the best. Damn shame Troika went under. Damn shame.

And that's all that comes to mind. I may update this later...

Jay Sosa

Here we gooooo:

1. Vagrant Story
2. Phantasy Star 4
3. Final Fantasy VII
4. Breath Of Fire III
5. Suikoden 2
6. Chrono Trigger
7. Persona 3: FES
8. Star Ocean 2
9. Skies of Arcadia
10. Grandia

HM:

11. Devil Summoner
12. DDS 1&2
13. Atelier Iris
14. Planescape Torment
15. Suikoden 3

NHM:

Final Fantasy 12
FE: The one with Hector
Disgaea
La Pucelle
Fallout 2

will add some text tomorrow at work :D

and nah Xcom isn't an RPG

UberTag

This was my nominee list from last year. Now do I want to change anything or should I just rank these same 10 games and be done with it? And then I've got to add in honorable mentions. Hmmm...

EDIT: With Persona 4 seemingly locked into the #2 slot and the assault on Chrono Trigger's perennial Top Dog status falling short for yet another year, I'm tossing my 3-point vote towards The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. It narrowly missed out on the Top 50 last year and deserves to break through the glass ceiling to get some exposure.

trails.jpg

MY PERSONAL TOP 10 RPG RANKINGS

1) Xenogears [PSX]
2) Final Fantasy XII [PS2]
3) Persona 4 [PS2/VITA]
4) Xenoblade Chronicles [Wii]
5) The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky [PC/PSP] - 3 POINTS
6) Final Fantasy IX [PSX]
7) Tales of Vesperia [X360/PS3]
8) Grandia [SAT/PSX]
9) Valkyria Chronicles [PS3]
10) Skies of Arcadia [DC/GC]

Did you know you can play no less than FIVE of my 10 favorite RPGs of all-time on the PlayStation Vita? Along with the defacto sequel of a 6th game from that list. Not too shabby.

HONORABLE MENTIONS - 1 Point

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance [GC]
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door [GC]
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together [SNES/SAT/PSX/PSP]
Vagrant Story [PSX]
Xenosaga Episode III: Also sprach Zarathustra [PS2]

Shimesaba

1) Persona 3 (3 Points) - or FES, or Portable, although the original release is still my favorite. The points it loses out to P4 over (e.g. dungeon variety, battle system) aren't enough in my mind to dethrone it. I see P3 as having a much better soundtrack (and style, more generally), more genuine characters (especially with Junpei >>> Yosuke), and a tenser, more engaging storyline. The ending and transition into the credit sequence was also masterful.

2) Persona 4 - Several of its gameplay tweaks are really nice to have. The main character's home life is also a nice addition to the story (there's relatively more interaction with Nanako and Dojima than you got at the Dorm in P3, and it helps).

3) Final Fantasy IX - My personal favorite of the PS1 generation of FF's. I enjoyed its characters, soundtrack, and wide variety of beautifully drawn towns. Hoping that Ito knocks it out of the park again with the new game he's been working on for the last few years.

4) Dragon Quest 8 - I adored the exploration in this game, along with the visual style, soundtrack, and monster arena sidequest. I also like the planning that goes into each turn in DQ (all characters' actions are chosen at the beginning of the turn, rather than interspersed as in FF or Persona).

5) Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne

6) Chrono Trigger

7) Tales of Destiny Remake

8) Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

9) Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

10) Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal

massoluk

Banned
I will back up the rest of my choices later

1) Chrono Trigger (3 points) - Masterpiece, nothing more needs to be said.

2) Xenoblade Chronicles - Criminally neglected masterpiece RPG.

3) Final Fantasy IX - The essential essence of Final Fantasy in one game. The most Final Fantasyish of all Final Fantasy.

4) The Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim - Combat is shit, but the it's worth walking and experiencing this immersive world.

5) Guild Wars 2 - This is the online RPG I've been waiting for. Tons of quests, endless goals to meet, places to explore, builds to experiments, online group and raid that just spontaneously happens, no downtime, incentives to log in everyday, significant update periodically. AND FREE!!

6) Diablo II - Mouse destroyer, super addictive, Not sure if I would call it RPG, but hell, why not.

7) Xenogears

8) Everquest - You have to be there to understand. It is life.

9) Fallout: New Vegas - This is the best in the Fallout Series.

10) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II

Honorable Mentions

11) Final Fantasy VI

12) Final Fantasy IV

13) Final Fantasy VII

14) Tales of the Abyss

15) Golden Sun

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Top 10

• Final Fantasy VI

When I think of RPGs, this is the first game that comes to mind. Although I didn't play it until the GBA version, it was pretty much what got me into RPGs. I had irrationally disliked the genre, and all of a sudden, I realized what I had been missing. FF6 is a total package, with great characters, music, aesthetics, everything. The battles are pretty traditionally turn-based (especially sinced I turned the Wait option on), but that didn't matter much since I didn't get bored with it. Also, motherfucking Kefka. I couldn't believe it when he actually got what he wanted. I'm eagerly awaiting what I feel like is an inevitable 3DS remake.

• Chrono Trigger

As if Square needs another reason to assert its dominance during the SNES era. I played the DS version, but it's little changed from the SNES version. It's another total package. I'm a sucker for time travel, and Chrono Trigger executes it so well. The battle system is also one of my favorite. It's still turn-based, but the ATB stuff makes it quick and gives it somewhat of a real-time fell.

• The World Ends With You

I don't even remember why I was excited for it, but I just had to get it. One of the few games I can say that lived up to my hype. The dual-screen combat worked better than I imagined it would. It was tough from the get-go, and because I could always tweak the game difficulty, I was constantly pushing myself to get better. I started the game on easy, and by the end, I beat the final boss with a low level and on hard (main-game, not post-game). While I'm not a big fan of Nomura's art, it was pretty good hear. The story is one of my favorites, with great characters (apart from early game Neku) and some cool twists. All in all, anyone with a DS should at least give it a fair chance.

• Xenoblade

Even if the Wii had more RPGs, I think this would still stand high above them all. The number one feature is of course the large world. Even with the Wii limitations, it's a beauty to look at. The visuals are made better with the wonderful soundtrack. The single moment that the sealed the deal for me was when I first stepped onto the Gaur Plains. And then there's the battle system. While I haven't actually played FFXII, I always wanted to because to combat looked appealing. Xenoblade satisfied that desire and then some. Combat is rarely boring, although I do admit I mentally go on auto-pilot against basic enemies once I figure out their weakness. I'm still in the middle of it, but even though I've heard the story goes bonkers in the end, I think I can safely say that it will still remain one of my all-time favorites.

• Pokemon (if a specific game needs the vote, then give it to Black 2/White 2 since it's the most recent)

It wasn't until I had played about 3 Pokemon games that I realized the franchise was an RPG. (Whatever, I was young). Even then, I rarely think of it like an RPG compared to other games, even though the underlying systems are pretty damn complicated. And that I think I love the series so much. It may actually be totally unique, but it feels like it. I don't think about the kind of game it is. I just play it. I do wish they would add more per game, but I can accept that downside to the normally yearly release schedule.

• Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

Best Mario RPG out there. Above the already great battle system with the action commands, I adore the variety of settings. Most of them are relatively unique. Chapter 3 is especially memorable. How many other games have you participate in a wrestling tournament? The writing (or more specific, the localization) is top-notch and full of various references that anyone can pick up on. I already highly recommend it, but that's doubly so for those with little gamers who show an interest in the genre.

• Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean

A card-based battle system that actually kept my interest for the entire game? I still find it hard to believe. I may have come for the beautiful hand-drawn backgrounds, but I stayed for the battles (and the beautiful hand-drawn backgrounds). The story was pretty great. Maybe not top-tier, but damn was I shocked at the events at the end of disc 1. And needless to say, great music. Of course the elephant in the room is the atrocious voice action (both the actors and the sound quality), but you can turn it off if you want to. I left it on because it sort of grew on me.

• Fallout: New Vegas

As most people who have played this recognize, dat writing. The world is pretty cool to explore, but most games in this style are. The writing succeeds in most aspects I can think of. The rest of the game is pretty standard Fallout fare, with of course the usual adage of "Elder Scrolls with guns" gameplay. The bugginess does hurt it a bit, so save often. PC mods also elevate the game tremendously, but it makes my list regardless of that.

• The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Yeah the quest system is weak. Yeah the scaling is poorly done. Yeah the combat is not the most engaging. I don't give a shit. The world is beautiful. I love booting the game up and exploring until I get bored. I understand the love for Morrowind, but I think I missed that ship. I just don't feel like spending countless hours trying to mod Morrowind to make it suitable for me. So Skyrim it is.

• Mass Effect

Yeah ME2 and ME3 play a hell of lot better. But man oh man did they set up a great world with ME1. The reason I felt a bit down by the end of the trilogy was because there was so much potential wasted that it could make a fan cry. The atmosphere of ME1 was great and I miss it. The game may have been a bit technically ugly, but one look at the sky was enough to make me forget about that. I've beaten this game more than any game on this list (except for Pokemon :p), and that's solely because of the world. Damn you BioWare for fumbling the two sequels in that aspect. Damn you.

Honorable Mentions

• Fire Emblem 7 (Awakening has a strong chance to make my top 10)
  • Borderlands 2
  • Dragon Age: Origins
  • Diablo II
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

1.) Dark Souls (3) points : The souls games have become quite possibly the most critically acclaimed games on Neogaf since they launched, and not just for the legendary (and usually exaggerated) difficulty level. They manage to blend intricate combat with a subtle and understated storyline that really rewards gamers who take the time to poke through every nook and cranny. Dark souls gets the slight nod over its predecessor by creating a cohesive world so convincing and atmospheric (As opposed to the hub and spoke model of demons souls) that it has some gamers calling it the only true next gen "castlevania" in addition to all the other praise this game gets. Top that off with an improved multiplayer component, and the replayability is absolutely ludicrous- but one doesn't have to partake, single player is very accessible and extremely rewarding, since From software went the extra mile to include summonable AI companions that make sense within the context of the game world. The game isn't perfect, but it does so much so well its extremely difficult to justify putting any other game in front of it.

2.) Demon's Souls: The original souls game- it's a credit to how well crafted it is that there are still intense debates as to which game is superior long after it's stellar sequel hit the shelves. nearly everything that applies to it's sequel applies here as well. Fantastic and atmospheric worlds, punishing but fair difficulty, and a creative approach to multiplayer gaming. One might even say the souls games have a fair shot at being the best "horror" games of the generation on top of it all, as few things are more frightening than being stalked by a menacing player/invader.

3.) Vagrant Story: Woefully underappreciated at the time of release, Vagrant Story's Lea Monde is atmospheric and then some, and the game STILL lays claim to the best localization ever seen in a videogame. The combat system is deep yet rewarding, and the crafting and loot is deep enough to make even games like Diablo III look like amateur hour. It's short (maybe 15 hours?) but few gamers will see everything it has to offer on the first run through. Fortunately a new game + with extra dungeons provides great replayability and incentive to do so. It's clear that the game was a bit ahead of it's time- it pushes the PS1 as far as it can go, and is commonly considered one of it's best looking games. It's a diamond in the rough, but would have truly shone on a beefier system.

4.) Tactics Ogre: LUCT. I struggled to think of whether this or FFT would represent the pinnacle of the strategy JRPG, but after playing the PSP effort, I've got to go with this one. TO:LUCT includes true meaningful decisions that impact a branching storyline, an expansive loot and skill system, and a fantastic storyline that gives it the nod over it's spiritual sequel. It's friendlier to fans new to the genre with the chariot system that allows one to rewind a certain number of moves within combat, and the World system that allows one to painlessly explore how different decisions may have impacted the storyline. As tactical RPGs go, it's expertly crafted and a true shame that it only saw release during the PSP's twilight years.

5.) Persona 4: And now for something a little more lighthearted. Persona 4 includes everything that made Persona 3 a smash hit, but refined. Party members are now directly controllable in combat, and if your social links are high enough they'll even sacrifice themselves to save you from a killer blow. It's not all mechanical improvements though, Persona 4 keeps the bar high by creating a truly engaging primary and secondary cast that will keep you playing well past the hundred hour mark, and even going through a second or third (!) time to try to get all of those social links.

6.) Final Fantasy XII: Controversial when it hit the shelves, it's stood the test of time and become better appreciated in the wake of the release of XIII. XII is the only FF to take place in a true open world environment, and enemies are engaged directly on the map, rather than transitioning to a separate battle screen. as a result, the world seems alive in a way that every other entry even those that followed only aspired to. The storyline has taken some criticism for not being grand enough (it's the only mainline entry to not be a save the world affair) but I found the plot and characters engaging and believable (not everyone is a secret princess or legendary hero- some are just happily along for the ride), and the villain actually sympathetic in his goals. Top that with a bestiary that fleshes out the world and backstory to a degree that will satisfy even the most jaded fantasy fan, and you've got yourself the best entry in the Final Fantasy franchise.

7.) Alpha Protocol: I was happy to see this one get some recognition last year, and I'm happier still to include it on my list. But first- let me be frank. The game is a spy/espionage RPG, not exactly a common theme in a genre chock full of dragons and wizards, gods and demons. You're not going to be saving the world here per se, just working to make it a better place. And yes, the game has enough bugs there's a number for Terminix in the back of the manual. But despite those flaws, what you have hidden within is a conversation and decision making system that absolutely embarrasses every Bioware effort to date. Those upset with the way mass effect turned out may be pleased to find decisions here that actually matter. Reputation and alignment are realistically built on a per character basis, so those of you that want to play the angel in Italy and the Devil in shanghai are free to do so. Responses are also timed with context sensitive triggers (should you have been a good enough spy to unearth and read the relevant data) so there's a sense of urgency that's sadly missing from mass effect and dragon age. It's a shame that we'll never see a sequel that really shows it's full potential, but what's here is outstanding.

8.) Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne- Before the souls games hit the shelves, this was the game that RPG fans were truly afraid of. Those used to cruising through their RPGs on autobattle are unpleasantly surprised to find the matador alone has claimed more controllers than every Dragon Quest put together. But beyond the brutal difficulty is a deep and engaging RPG in the vein of pokemon...if pokemon had more demons and world ending cataclysms. You're not playing this one for the story, but the unique art style, striking world, and seemingly endless supply of demons to recruit and fuse will keep fans engaged for a good, long while.

9.) Final Fantasy XIII-2: Wait Wait! hear me out. Let's admit it- XIII let us all down. A world we couldn't explore, a plot that made little sense, characters that bored us to death- Square deserves every bit of the criticism they got there and then some. And surprisingly enough, Square listened to that criticism and addressed nearly every grievance in style. Remember 20 hour long 'turorials' in XIII? Gone. XIII-2 drops you right into the action from the start. Linear gameplay? Forget it. XIII-2 gives you your choice of timelines to explore and solve mysteries, the answers to which may be hundreds of years in the past, or far in the future. and Customizability? We've got it here- Sarah and Noel have lots of outfits, and the third party member (though usually a monster) is up to you. Choose your own playstyle. XIII-2 is nothing like it's predecessor, and is shockingly every bit the time travel game that chrono cross should have been, and chrono trigger only aspired to. Don't let XIII's shortcomings keep you from enjoying an extremely solid effort.

10.) Suikoden II: The suikoden series is five (or six, counting tactics) entries long, but it's really this game that elevated it to "legendary" status and caught gamer's attentions. The sequels have been chasing it's success ever since. Perhaps the ONLY game to do the "cast of thousands" concept right, Suikoden has 108(!) essential characters, and not a single one is wasted. each has a distinct personality and role to play, and not just the same lines with a different silly accent. Top that off with one of the fastest battle systems of its time and a dash of 16 bit charm, and its easy to see why this one is still well loved long after it's debut.

Last year I simply listed my favorite RPGs across the board. This time I'll probably try and spread it out a little bit to make a more balanced list.

Chrono Trigger (3 points) - Still my favorite game and RPG ever, so I'm not going to change this. I think it's an essential place to start for RPGs considering its music, the characters and story, the multitude of sidequests, along with introducing non-random battles, something I'm growing more and more tired of every JRPG I play.

Final Fantasy VI - My second favorite JRPG. I think it's one of the most refined JRPGs of the pre-3D era. The two worlds is key, the fact that you have so many characters and actually end up having to use them all in the final dungeon is nice. Each character is well developed, plus the soundtrack is wonderful. It's a great introduction and good place to start for JRPGs.

Final Fantasy Tactics - Top tier SRPG. Class system is neat, although easily broken in the late game. Battles actually require strategy up until a certain point, though. Probably wouldn't recommend it to someone just getting started in SRPGs, but a definite must play once you're interested in the genre.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 - I think this JRPG really balanced the social links and dungeons well. You want to do both, plus the mystery weaved into the overall story really intrigued me. You have to put a lot of time and effort into it, but the story is rewarding and I think the social links are a must for people who want to experience variety in their RPGs.

Dark Souls - I am much more pro-Dark Souls than I was last year. Once you really get a feel for the combat system the game takes off. The lore is amazing. The summon system lets you do boss rushes on your own time, and their system of bringing co-op and PVP into the RPG format works really well. The difficulty may turn new people off, but I still think it's a must play.

Alpha Protocol - One of the few "modern" RPGs in terms of setting, which is one of the many reasons I favor it over most other WRPGs. The dialogue system is top-notch, and your freedom of movement in choosing how you want to tackle missions is unique and gives each playthrough a personalized feel to it. Also unlike other games that have "choice" as a mechanic, your choices in this game actually matter and will affect future missions.

Fallout 2 - This is the first of the four "new" entries, the other six were in my top 10 recommendations last year. I realized I completely skipped the isometic age of WRPGs and to me, Fallout 2 represents the best of that particular genre. I lost a week of my life to its addictive gameplay, and the vast open world allows a lot of exploration and adds extra replay value since there's no way you can find everything the first time. Plus, the humor is A+.

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - I think Fire Emblem is a great way to get into the SRPG genre. It's not terribly complicated, and the permadeath gives every battle real stakes and makes you careful. There's an overabundance of characters, most of them are fun and interesting, and although this is a sequel, it's fully realized enough and more refined over Path of Radiance, to the point where I don't think it's absolutely necessary to play the first one first.

Mass Effect 2 - I feel a little weird being one of "those" guys, but after playing ME2 for the first time this year, I really felt a sense of awesomeness. I've struggled trying to replay Mass Effect, while ME2 has just the right amount of action and dialogue. The battle system is refined and streamlined to the point where it's a lot more fun. Sure, the overall RPG elements are notched down but I think it's a worthwhile game for anyone interested in the sci-fi genre and also WRPGs.

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - I wasn't sure how I was going to round out my top 10, but I think a Mario & Luigi entry is vital. Bowser's Inside Story is the third installment and one of the best in the series. I think it's a great intro RPG: stats aren't terribly complicated, the battles keep you active and engaged, and the storyline is funny and light, peppered with typical Mario & Luigi humor. I think this is a great jumping off point for anyone interested in RPGs.

Honorable Mentions:
Fallout: New Vegas - My personal favorite WRPG, but dropped down to HM in favor of Fallout 2's isometric design, along with giving Alpha Protocol a more prominent focus in the WRPG setting.
Earthbound - The rolling HP counters, quirky humor, and overall different take on the RPG genre makes this a must-play once people get into the RPG genre.
Final Fantasy X - I love, love, love the battle system in FFX, and it would be in my top 10 if I liked the story and skill/magic system more. As it stands, it's worthy of an HM but that's it.
Radiant Historia - A great new RPG for the DS. Am slowly chipping my way through it; the battle system is unique and the story is engagin and once I beat it, it may get top 10 status.
Vandal Hearts II - A personal favorite in the SRPG genre. The enemies-move-at-the-same-time complication makes battles different than your standard SRPG fare, but should be reserved for people who have experience in the genre.

Unranked HMs:
Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
Demon's Souls
Final Fantasy XII
Sands of Destruction
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

KSai

My frame of reference is strictly limited to console RPGs, so I'm sure I'll find a lot of new games to enjoy.

1) Super Mario RPG
Mario really knows how to cross genres. Humming the music from this game is so much fun.

2) Valkyrie Profile
A heartrending story that had me in its grip all the way to the end.

3) Demon's Souls
"Brave soul, who fears not death. Prithee, lull the Old One back to its ancient slumber."
The first game where I felt like a storybook knight on an ambitious quest to make myself known. To think I'd be thrust into such an unwelcoming world.

YYqAe.gif

Persona 4 (AKA Re-released as Persona 4 Golden for Vita) - Still the greatest JRPG I've ever played. It has a great hook: a group of Japanese high school students are trying to stop a serial killer in their backwoods, redneck town by summoning demons. It's humorous too! It is the "Arrested Development" of the dark, macabre series that is Persona (sure, why not). This critically acclaimed masterpiece will win your heart!

Final Fantasy IV (AKA Re-re-released more than any game in the universe) - It's dated, sure, but at the time of it's release, it made a lot of convenient changes for console RPGs. It's also been released like fifty-gazillion times because it's SE releases it at every single anniversary for every game they have. In my opinion, FFIV DS was the best version but FFIV Complete on PSP is pretty good too. FFIV (DS Version) was recently announced for release on iOS.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines:- One of the best written games of all time. It's combat is not very good but the story/character portions make up for it.

Demon's Souls - A unique take on multiplayer is what made me love Demon's Souls. It is very challenging and gives a sense of accomplishment that is hard to find in modern games. I think that the servers were supposed to go down in May 2012, but Atlus has kept them going.

Dark Souls - This game is, at its core, similar to Demon's Souls, but it differs in how the adventure unfolds. The world is vast and interconnected in the kind of way you'd experience a Metroid or Castlevania.

Final Fantasy XII - SE took a much needed departure for the FF series when making this game. The real time combat is breath of fresh air. The articulate story is full of characters whose motivations and actions are interesting. There's a moogle that gives you monster hunting quests consistently throughout the game so you always feel like there is a challenging goal.

Valkyria Chronicles - Very fun combat and a lot of replay value make this SRPG one of the best ever. It has very simple mechanics, yet gameplay elements offer a nice challenge.

Lunar - Definitely a product of it's time with it's goofy writing but charming nonetheless.

World of Warcraft - I was part of the min/max community for this game. To us, it was more like a competitive sport than an RPG, but in some way, we were playing out our role as well in cracking boss strats and parcing gear variables.

Secret of Mana - I probably think that this game is better than it is since I played it as a child. To me, it was unlike anything else I had ever experienced. It had a great co-op setup as well.

Also, thanks again, kswiston for putting together this thread! Has it been a year already? I'll still name my Persona 5 protag after you!

Top Bottom