• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf's first NeoCosplay Thread. Muahahaha

Melchiah

Iup2ZsD.jpg

qouv9Of.jpg

Olorin

Well, now that my account has been approved, might as well share some pics from two recent local events in the Netherlands :)
Welcome to Neogaf, fellow Dutchperson :)
Looks like Imagicon and Elfia, and I know at least one of the people in your pictures. Do you go to anime conventions as well?

Chastten

Banned
Thanks!

You're right, those are from Imagicon and Elfia, both held in the last six weeks or so. I've been going to most major conventions for nearly 10 years now, although most pictures these days come from off-con shoots.

Not surprised you know some of these people by the way, it's a really tiny community :p

My son dressed up as Finn on Free Comic Book Day. He wouldn't let me *Season 6 premier spoiler*
chop his arm off to stay current with the show but I did get to draw the grass sword wrapped around his arm

Photo taken by one of the comic shop's employees/co-owner.

gaPzdTl.jpg

thenexus6

I thought of the ultimate cosplay idea, I hope someone will do it in the future. So you cosplay as Agent 47, 100% legit looking - this is important so people notice you. You always have a friend with you dressed as whatever but they need a bag. They kinda stick around you but don't make themselves obvious or stickout. They just look like a randomer.

Every once in a while you change into another costume but still as 47 and roam the con. After a while hopefully people will notice you switching costume. Rinse a repeat!

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Some results from a couple of private shoots we had last week.

I think Lulu is one of the more challenging cosplay targets out there and it's my favourite to see.

Has anyone ever really nailed that fur trim? It seems to be hard for people to find something sufficiently luxurious and it often looks relatively flat.

I thought of the ultimate cosplay idea, I hope someone will do it in the future. So you cosplay as Agent 47, 100% legit looking - this is important so people notice you. You always have a friend with you dressed as whatever but they need a bag. They kinda stick around you but don't make themselves obvious or stickout. They just look like a randomer.

Every once in a while you change into another costume but still as 47 and roam the con. After a while hopefully people will notice you switching costume. Rinse a repeat!

I like that idea!

Mesoian

I think Lulu is one of the more challenging cosplay targets out there and it's my favourite to see.

Has anyone ever really nailed that fur trim? It seems to be hard for people to find something sufficiently luxurious and it often looks relatively flat.

Yaya's is pretty good, but it doesn't get the fur right either. It's because the only way it work in the reference picture is if the base of the fur started halfway where the fur itself actually ends and the fur itself was trimmed down to shape, which usually results in a lot of shedding and patchy areas. You'd have to use like...a goat hide or something, no fox fur on earth does what that outfit needs it to do.

Also, no one ever makes a petticoat out of belts.

Chastten

Banned

Dunno, I'm sure someone, somewhere did it right, but I have yet to see it for myself.

That being said, I don't particularly mind that not everything is perfect in a cosplay. I'm pretty forgiving in that regard, especially because this girl hadn't been cosplaying for all that long. She was very nice though, and we had a great day so to me that's more important then having the perfect cosplay.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Dunno, I'm sure someone, somewhere did it right, but I have yet to see it for myself.

That being said, I don't particularly mind that not everything is perfect in a cosplay. I'm pretty forgiving in that regard, especially because this girl hadn't been cosplaying for all that long. She was very nice though, and we had a great day so to me that's more important then having the perfect cosplay.

Oh, for sure, I didn't mean that in a negative way at all. I think it's important for people to be able to go out and have fun with it without worrying about being super professional. Thumbs up all around. Just noticed the fur seemed to be a common challenge. It would probably take something manufactured to spec, maybe at one of those places that make the big poofy fur trim for hoods.

Melchiah

Hm...I love good cosplays but here is a picture what shows whats wrong with the cosplays from today...too much photoshop.

I think it's perfectly fine, as long as the photoshop editing doesn't affect the costume and makeup too much. Taking the picture under water and adding Rapture into it works well.

Lucis

Hm...I love good cosplays but here is a picture what shows whats wrong with the cosplays from today...too much photoshop.

Obviously the builds are photoshopped, but the rest are pretty much very possible with out photoshop. I have a friend who does a lot of under water shoots and to get a image like that is completely possible (maybe with a bit light room optimization of the color)

To be honest, the final image matters, photoshop is a tool, the same as lightnings and stuff.

A lot of the crazy good photos you see with light effects are depended on camera techniques with flash palcement/setting. Photoshop is just another tool.

2 pictures of my wife's cosplay during Fanime (prob not many people will know the character anyways lol)

Calibus

What I've learned from this thread is that it's really difficult and time-consuming to accurately replicate most video game and movie costumes.

Amzin

Man, I feel retarded. I went to my first comicon here in Kansas City a couple months ago, dressed as Sherlock. I wasn't prepared for people to want my picture, so I never thought to ask where any of the photos might end up so I could share the good ones. Some of them were definitely semi-professional and I can't Google them up to save my life >.< So all I have is a few potato-quality shots from my wife's phone. Will have to do better next time!

Top Bottom