• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Official Nintendo DS Collecting, Appreciation, and Nostalgia Thread

Anth0ny

3DS is better already *hides*

It really is.

But this is the DS appreciation thread.

DS is a pretty cool little system. Had some great Pokemon games on there. Some of my most played games of all time (Tetris DS and Soul Silver) were played on a DS. Still have some expanding to do with my DS collection, too. Will be referring to this thread a lot :)

I'm from the US so I've always wondered - is that Pokemon typing game actually anything worth looking into? I love the Dreamcast Typing of the Dead and wacky peripherals like a DS keyboard sound appealing to me.

Sorry, I haven't tested it yet. :)

It was dirt cheap and comes with a BlueTooth keyboard that can be used for other purposes too, which is why I got it. But the game's supposed to be fun, and apparently it helps a lot if you know your Pokémon well.

I wish DS Emulators out there allowed internal quality scaling. I wish I could get Metroid Prime Hunters running in HD. Or Mario 64 DS.

The low-poly doesn't bother me, but the resolution does.

At least I have my DSi XL.

Cody_D165

Banned
Sorry, I haven't tested it yet. :)

It was dirt cheap and comes with a BlueTooth keyboard that can be used for other purposes too, which is why I got it. But the game's supposed to be fun, and apparently it helps a lot if you know your Pokémon well.

It sounds neat. There's usually an import vendor that shows up to some of the anime cons here in Michigan that stocks it. I considered impulse buying it the first time I saw one just because I love collecting off-the-wall stuff like that.

the DS Thor game is a fantastic 2D brawler by WayForward.

Whoa, I am totally going to remember this the next time I'm digging in a bargain bin.

Zalman

I'm from the US so I've always wondered - is that Pokemon typing game actually anything worth looking into? I love the Dreamcast Typing of the Dead and wacky peripherals like a DS keyboard sound appealing to me.
I recently got the game for ~$5. I was worth it for the bluetooth keyboard. The game itself is pretty boring.

Great OP, great system--I think it just might be the best system(s) released this millennium. And I'm grateful for Nintendo's continued support of backwards compatibility so that DS games still live in today's 3DS (even though they're better on the original hardware, of course).

This thread should also not overlook the intense skepticism the dual screen concept was met with upon reveal. Many people really felt it was a disastrous move, and that Nintendo was about to throw away their 15+ year old handheld legacy. A bit premature, that view :p

I went into my local pawn shop today to find out that they stopped selling NDS games. I was sad. I got several scarce titles there for cheap over the years.

Yasawas

Subbed, nice thread. I think the DS is my second-favourite console of all time, I mean the 3DS has superseded it now due to playing everything it can and more besides but as a software library it's pretty incredible. Remember that glorious period a year or two after release and before smartphones when developers seemed to realise en masse that they could make fun, quirky games relatively cheaply and there was a huge audience for them? It seemed like every week I was getting a package from yesasia with some minor classic in it - that Kirby game with the pink stylus, Ouendan, Phoenix Wright. Good times, I worry we might never see anything like that again.

I had my collection stolen in about 2008 and only started again last November when I got a 3DS so this is a bit bare-bones at the moment as I'm only buying stuff when I intend to play it, not just to make my pile bigger or because I used to own it. I also have a strong dislike of the PAL boxes which makes it a bit harder as unless I've no option or it's a huge bargain I will always import the NA or JP version.

iu1GYqg4ojsq0.jpg

ieNZ3gsfueepd.jpg

Chorazin

Came in to tell everyone to buy the Ouendan games, see multiple posts about them. Good job guys. Those sad songs always make me tear up.

D-e-f-

Banned

That's my glorious pile of awesome. Still missing a bunch of Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, DQ, etc games.

So happy I finally grabbed Soma Bringer last year.

Here's everything when it's NOT on the floor (including some innocent 3DS, PSOne and WiiU bystanders):

fun fact:

there's a jp-exclusive ds game called english of the dead! you handwrite translations of JP words into english through the hotd2 campaign!

probably not accessible at all to english speakers, but i just think it's fun that it exists. i want to get it at some point to see if i can use it as a japanese learning tool, ahaha

Stimpack

Sorry, but where are people going to buy their DS/3DS games? Ebay?

Gamestop is usually pretty iffy with their prices, as is Amazon from what I've seen.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
DS was a really cool system with a lot of unique games. It was arguably the most interesting last-gen system. Though, that said, while there are a lot of good games, I didn't feel like there were a ton of "holy shit, this is fucking INCREDIBLE" games on the system. That, and the system's sound hardware sucked.

But, my faves on the platform are:

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
the Phoenix Wright series
Ghost Trick

There's a surprising number of DS games I need to get around to buying/playing. Should probably do that before prices begin to skyrocket.

Cody_D165

Banned
fun fact:

there's a jp-exclusive ds game called english of the dead! you handwrite translations of JP words into english through the hotd2 campaign!

probably not accessible at all to english speakers, but i just think it's fun that it exists. i want to get it at some point to see if i can use it as a japanese learning tool, ahaha

that... sounds awesome.

Gameboy415

fun fact:

Yep, and it's fun-tastic! :)
(You can see my copy on the bottom shelf in my collection-pic post, haha.)

:O
That's awesome!

As someone with... err... beginner to moderate skill in Japanese, how much luck will I have trying to play it? I adore HotD and TotD and having a portable version of anything like it would be super rad. The first few stages, at least, seemed pretty manageable, from what I recall...

Cody_D165

Banned
DS-GAF, how's Okamiden? There's a pretty nice copy of it hanging out at a local game store near me. I never got the chance to play through the first game though, is that a deal-breaker?

terrisus

I still use my DSi for all my DS games, I just use my 3DS XL for 3DS games.
I'm kicking myself for not picking up a DSi XL while it was available in stores though.

So, for anyone who has one, how much more awesome is the DSi XL than the regular DSi?
I need to get one, don't I?

(I have basically every other model in the Gameboy and DS lines anyway, so I'll probably get it eventually anyway)

Just bought CIB pokemon HeartGold...

DAMN when did HG/SS get so expensive/"rare"! Of course pokemon games are notorious for holding their value but these titles only increase with passing time! Guess its the production limitations OF pokewalker included?/potential lower sales due to being a remake?

Cody_D165

Banned
I'm kicking myself for not picking up a DSi XL while it was available in stores though.

So, for anyone who has one, how much more awesome is the DSi XL than the regular DSi?

(I have basically every other model in the Gameboy and DS lines anyway, so I'll probably get it eventually anyway)

I've used my friend's DSi XL on multiple occasions... I'm in the same boat as you. I want one so bad.

Just bought CIB pokemon HeartGold...

DAMN when did HG/SS get so expensive/"rare"! Of course pokemon games are notorious for holding their value but these titles only increase with passing time! Guess its the production limitations OF pokewalker included?/potential lower sales due to being a remake?

I've noticed this too. A local Gamestop employee once mentioned to me that it's one of the few games he remembers on the DS selling for more used than original retail price. (And I don't think Gamestop even sold the Pokewalker with used copies at the time.)

Sera O

Banned

I had no idea this existed. I totally want to get a copy of this for my friend; it would be a fun switch from her flashcards at least. If there were a version where you had to write kanji instead of English, she'd probably go nuts over it.

I've noticed this too. A local Gamestop employee once mentioned to me that it's one of the few games he remembers on the DS selling for more used than original retail price. (And I don't think Gamestop even sold the Pokewalker with used copies at the time.)

I know its crazy!

Tenrius

I never actually used a DSi, but I absolutely love my DSi Xl. The screen is fantastic.

Wow, I didn't know there was a DS thread too.
I recently scored a massive GBA/DS haul at a garage sale. About 40 games total along with a DSL and DSi.

Cody_D165

Banned
Kotaku posted a decent article highlighting their 12 Best Games for the DS, which they've now updated. Some solid choices IMO (although they could leave Spirit Tracks out as far as I'm concerned.)

Also, I finally added a complete copy of Elite Beat Agents to my collection for the whopping total of $1.99.

jgkspsx

I have one of each model of hardware and countless games (including lots of legit imports). I'll tell you, this was probably the system that meant the most to me, even more than the PSX. And look at my handle ferchrissakes.

Also, I finally added a complete copy of Elite Beat Agents to my collection for the whopping total of $1.99.

crying

Also yeah, Contra 4 is great. I'm normally pretty shit at Contra but I actually got pretty good at it and managed to beat it on Hard and clear a good portion of the challenges.

cafemomo

There's a Metal Slug game on DS, its not nearly as hard as Contra though.
Forgot about MS

thanks.

DS-GAF, how's Okamiden? There's a pretty nice copy of it hanging out at a local game store near me. I never got the chance to play through the first game though, is that a deal-breaker?

Okamiden is one of my favorite DS games personally. If you can get it for <$20 or less, go for it.

And don't worry about not playing the first one (although you should). I gave my copy to a friend and we beat the game fine without playing the first.

Netto-kun

These arrived last week (thanks, VG+ Black Friday sale). Maybe I should go through Symphony of the Night before I jump into the DS games. Not quite sure what else I should get for my DS collection. Infinite Space, Keroro RPG and maybe Ni no Kuni DS?
iHcdRz4m4NzKW.jpg

here's my small but slowly growing collection. Next week I'll probably be picking up 999 and Dawn of Sorrow, as I've heard they're pretty good.

3384204c.jpg

redcrayon

I think the OP should definitely have the Etrian Odyssey series listed, seeing as it was an awesome DS new IP that used the hardware well. EOIII is easily one of the best on the system.

Marz

These arrived last week (thanks, VG+ Black Friday sale). Maybe I should go through Symphony of the Night before I jump into the DS games. Not quite sure what else I should get for my DS collection. Infinite Space, Keroro RPG and maybe Ni no Kuni DS?
iHcdRz4m4NzKW.jpg

You don't really need to go through SoTN first unless you just want to see the evolution of Metroidvanias. Amazing game, but the DS ones are also amazing and actually better games in certain areas.

here's my small but slowly growing collection. Next week I'll probably be picking up 999 and Dawn of Sorrow, as I've heard they're pretty good.

3384204c.jpg

Dawn of Sorrow is my favorite Castlevania out of the 3 on DS. 999 is mind-blowingly good.

IS is grossly overpriced. last time I checked on amazon, the cheapest used one was like 50 bones.

Yea, I really want to play it so I'll probably end up just biting the bullet before the price starts climbing higher.

Man I was about to take a photo of my DS collection, but then I remembered the only camera I have is in my 3DS...:\

So instead I'm just gonna list them.

I own: Super Mario 64 DS, New Super Mario Bros, Pokémon SoulSilver, Pokémon White, Pokémon Black 2, 999, Dragon Quest IX, GTA: Chinatown Wars, Final Fantasy IV, Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days, SMT: Devil Survivor 2, Scribblenaughts, Drawn to Life, TWEWY, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Mobilized, and WarioWare: DIY.

Cody_D165

Banned
Contra 4 is pissing me off.
And I love it.

are there any other DS games like it?

I've heard good things about Aliens: Infestation as a run 'n gun, it's WayForward as well, though I'm not sure if it's too similar to Contra as I've never played it myself.

I think the OP should definitely have the Etrian Odyssey series listed, seeing as it was an awesome DS new IP that used the hardware well. EOIII is easily one of the best on the system.

Added!

redcrayon

I've heard good things about Aliens: Infestation as a run 'n gun, it's WayForward as well, though I'm not sure if it's too similar to Contra as I've never played it myself.

Added!
Aliens is pretty cool- it's not frantic enough to be similar to Contra 4, Metal Slug 7 is a better bet.

I love 2D exploration based games- Aliens: Infestation is more like Spider-Man: Web of Shadows, in that you are retreading the same areas in 2D with new abilities but you aren't levelling up like in Castlevania. The only problem with A:I is it's a bit short- 6-7 hours for a first run.

Still, the sprite animation is gorgeous, and I love the way the marines handle- you can roll to dodge attacks, fire in all directions, when you die it's absolutely your fault like in all the best blasters.

Thanks for adding EO :D My other favourites include the Hotel Dusk series, Puzzle Quest series and Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes, another awesome puzzle game. So many cool games on the DS.

Top Bottom