• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Official Nintendo DS Collecting, Appreciation, and Nostalgia Thread

Yea GameStop not having cases for DS games is really a bummer, especially since the one by my house gas tons of games for really cheap.

I think it varies by store. I got a complete copy of one of the Club Nintendo game and watch compilations there not long ago, and they had stacks of other boxed stuff for DS.

Kokonoe

Banned
If you guys ever see one of these I suggest picking them up since it lets you back up DS saves to your PC. I have one and it works great. Also great for Pokemon games.

9qAHTpo.png

I'm borrowing a DS from a friend. What a great little system.

I am playing Professor Layton for the first time and I'm having a blast (Curious Village). I think he has Phoenix Wright too, which I'll try after.

I've also never played a Pokemon game before. Is there an easy one to get into?

Draconian

I am playing Professor Layton for the first time and I'm having a blast (Curious Village). I think he has Phoenix Wright too, which I'll try after.

I think Black 2 and White 2 are the best on the system. They combine the new and old Pokemon and make a number of improvements over Black and White. Or if you'd like a remake with twice as many gyms and a whole new region to explore HeartGold and SoulSilver are great too. You have a lot of options and you won't go wrong with any, but I'd say Black 2 and White 2 are the best ones.

Zalman

There are essentially four different games with multiple versions:

1) Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
2) HeartGold/SoulSilver
3) Black/White
4) Black 2/White 2

You will get a different answer depending on who you ask. HeartGold/SoulSilver is a remake of one of the classics that was (and still is) considered the best in the series by many, so you can get that to see what the fuss is about... Or you could try Black/White for a more modern twist. Either way, you can't go wrong. There has never been a bad game in the main series, and they're all very accessible for beginners.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Heartgold and Soulsilver are probably the best entries in the franchise. There's so much detail and care put into the games that really make them stand above the other DS entries. They also hold some of the best Pokemon to capture and use on your team.

The two are a little hard to find and are relatively expensive but completely worth it.

Cody_D165

Banned

I'd also recommend HG/SS as far as Pokemon goes, fantastic remakes.

Do make effort to borrow Phoenix Wright from him. If you've never played Ace Attorney before, you're in for a real treat.

terrisus

By the way, to follow up on a previous post I made, I got the DSi XL that I'd bought on eBay a couple of days ago. It's in pretty good condition, I'm happy enough with it. As far as the system itself, it's definitely nice having a bigger system, and now it doesn't feel as jarring going from my 3DS XL to the smaller regular DSi, so that's good too.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I need a couple of games I was so stupid to sell a few years ago:

Kirby Canvas Curse (Paintbrush) which is to this day one of the system's finest, IMO
Mario 64DS because I'm convinced it'll actually control much better now with the 3DS' circle pad

Grizzo

What do you guys think about Contact ? I bought it many years ago, expecting something quirky and original (like Earthbound), and I was really disappointed by it. I played two hours and then I got stuck on the first boss (an explorer in a cave, he kicked my ass really bad).

So I wanted to know if you think I should give it another try...

maxcriden

I personally had a blast replaying it with the circle pad back during the 3DS launch. It may still be digital control but it sure as hell feels better.

I'd really like to check it out playing it on 3DS. It'd be nice to find a better price on it, though...maybe I should check the B/S/T thread....

schlew

What do you guys think about Contact ? I bought it many years ago, expecting something quirky and original (like Earthbound), and I was really disappointed by it. I played two hours and then I got stuck on the first boss (an explorer in a cave, he kicked my ass really bad).

So I wanted to know if you think I should give it another try...

I enjoyed it, but I'm guilty of enjoying the setting and narrative more than the gameplay.

I can't say whether you should give it another chance or not. I have rarely stopped playing a game, but when I do it's not because I overlooked some terrific aspect. I imagine if you gave up you had your reasons.

Despite enjoying it, the combat wasn't very fun. The game would take over the control, which is something I'm not a fan of. You have several classes, but the game's length made it difficult to master more than one at a time.

While I recommend it overall, if you already passed on it I don't see it getting any better.

I enjoyed it, but I'm guilty of enjoying the setting and narrative more than the gameplay.

I can't say whether you should give it another chance or not. I have rarely stopped playing a game, but when I do it's not because I overlooked some terrific aspect. I imagine if you gave up you had your reasons.

Despite enjoying it, the combat wasn't very fun. The game would take over the control, which is something I'm not a fan of. You have several classes, but the game's length made it difficult to master more than one at a time.

While I recommend it overall, if you already passed on it I don't see it getting any better.
I'll agree with all of that. I finally finished it last year, its an interesting game for sure. The combat is really odd and can be frustrating at times, it would have been nice to have more direct control over it. I'm glad I played it, I don't know exactly what happened in the end. But it was a very interesting game and I liked what they were trying to do with it.

Cody_D165

Banned
Added these two to my collection for ~$5 each. The Picross 3D was still sealed - I opened it and popped it in for a few puzzles, addicting game. I had never heard of Rondo of Swords and I have yet to try it, but it says "Atlus" and "SRPG" on the box so I have a feeling I'll like it.

GEDC0817_zpsa141f52f.jpg

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Added these two to my collection for ~$5 each. The Picross 3D was still sealed - I opened it and popped it in for a few puzzles, addicting game. I had never heard of Rondo of Swords and I have yet to try it, but it says "Atlus" and "SRPG" on the box so I have a feeling I'll like it.

GEDC0817_zpsa141f52f.jpg

I've heard Rondo of Swords was mediocre, but I've still been tempted enough to consider buying it before.

redcrayon

How much you'll like rondo of swords depends on how much you like the combat system.

Rather than, like FFT, Fire Emblem, Disgaea or Tactics Ogre, where you walk up to an enemy 1-2 spaces away, you hit them and they either wait for their turn to hit back or counter, RoS is a bit more unique.

When attacking enemy troops, you draw a line from your troop, through friends and foes, finishing on an empty space. Usually friends will give you buffs or heals, and the enemy get hurt (less for each one you hit). They might have defensive abilities, like stopping you after the first hit etc. Your own troops have defensive abilities too, like a foot knight stopping troops moving past him, or a swordsman counter-attacking.

It gets quite tough later on, and has a couple of different endings, but I found it really rewarding- it's unique and confusing at first, but then you get your head around it and start destroying the enemy.

It has a nice 'halfway house' approach to character death- if you lose a unit, they will have reduced stats for the next mission, encouraging you to use somebody else, but you can still muddle through with them if you like, they are just more likely to get KO'd again so you need to be careful.

Like many SRPGs, it suffers from some units being much better choices than others. art and music aren't great either, and the story of heroic nobles on the run from an invading army is nothing fire emblem and FF haven't done a dozen times over either.

What makes it for me is the maps. Outdoor battles are bloody and violent due to the huge amount of space leaving plenty of room for multiple attacks with each move on both sides, and will leave you counting squares to make sure enemy troops can't penetrate your formation (if they can't finish on an empty square they can't attack). Indoor battles are much more tactical- fewer potential moves, choke points etc.

All in all, don't expect to be amazed by the aesthetics, and I wouldn't recommend it to somebody new to SRPGs- it's hard and almost requires a bit of understanding of the genre. However, if you find yourself flying through FE etc and want a combat system brave enough to try something new with supporting units, where heroes can cut down multiple enemy troops if you deploy and play well, then it's worth investigating.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
How much you'll like rondo of swords depends on how much you like the combat system.

Rather than, like FFT, Fire Emblem, Disgaea or Tactics Ogre, where you walk up to an enemy 1-2 spaces away, you hit them and they either wait for their turn to hit back or counter, RoS is a bit more unique.

When attacking enemy troops, you draw a line from your troop, through friends and foes, finishing on an empty space. Usually friends will give you buffs or heals, and the enemy get hurt (less for each one you hit). They might have defensive abilities, like stopping you after the first hit etc. Your own troops have defensive abilities too, like a foot knight stopping troops moving past him, or a swordsman counter-attacking.

It gets quite tough later on, and has a couple of different endings, but I found it really rewarding- it's unique and confusing at first, but then you get your head around it and start destroying the enemy.

It has a nice 'halfway house' approach to character death- if you lose a unit, they will have reduced stats for the next mission, encouraging you to use somebody else, but you can still muddle through with them if you like, they are just more likely to get KO'd again so you need to be careful.

Like many SRPGs, it suffers from some units being much better choices than others. art and music aren't great either, and the story of heroic nobles on the run from an invading army is nothing fire emblem and FF haven't done a dozen times over either.

What makes it for me is the maps. Outdoor battles are bloody and violent due to the huge amount of space leaving plenty of room for multiple attacks with each move on both sides, and will leave you counting squares to make sure enemy troops can't penetrate your formation (if they can't finish on an empty square they can't attack). Indoor battles are much more tactical- fewer potential moves, choke points etc.

All in all, don't expect to be amazed by the aesthetics, and I wouldn't recommend it to somebody new to SRPGs- it's hard and almost requires a bit of understanding of the genre. However, if you find yourself flying through FE etc and want a combat system brave enough to try something new with supporting units, where heroes can cut down multiple enemy troops if you deploy and play well, then it's worth investigating.

As someone who has played multiple SRPGs, it actually sounds like a fun game. I'm definitely going to have to put this on the to buy list.

maxcriden

I've got Henry Hatsworth in my backlog to play soon and I'm really looking forward to checking it out. My wife played quite a bit of it and really enjoyed it, and I've heard a lot of good things online too.

180919b.jpg

It's $3 used if anyone's interested. Pretty amazing deal!

redcrayon

As someone who has played multiple SRPGs, it actually sounds like a fun game. I'm definitely going to have to put this on the to buy list.
I think you'll enjoy it. If you go into it expecting FFT you'll be disappointed, but if you go into it with a view to discovering a new combat system with its own quirks, exploits etc, you'll have a blast.

You can also send people you aren't using off on side quests to gather resources and go shopping, that can be quite fun too!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
If you guys ever see one of these I suggest picking them up since it lets you back up DS saves to your PC. I have one and it works great. Also great for Pokemon games.

9qAHTpo.png

Good looking on this device man, looks nifty :)

Cody_D165

Banned
Just a heads-up to anyone interested: Dragon Ball: Attack of the Saiyans is currently in-stock and being sold new by Amazon for $19.99. Don't know if this means it's been reprinted or what but the game's become rather desirable by RPG and DBZ fans and this is an excellent price for it, from what I've seen usually cart-only copies run around this price.

daydream

Banned
This thread is still around, so I'm posting it here. Found Kirby Super Star Ultra for 25€ today. Used, mind you, but it looks as good as new to me. Game is going for moderately high prices online, as far as I can tell.

I 100%ed a friend's copy when it came out and I'll gladly do it again. One of the best Kirby games, for sure.

Does anyone have for sale or know where I can get a copy of Retro Game Challenge? Haven't had much luck at retail and all the ebay listings seem to want $30+.

maxcriden

Does anyone have for sale or know where I can get a copy of Retro Game Challenge? Haven't had much luck at retail and all the ebay listings seem to want $30+.

Yes! They have it at GS for $5--if it's not at your local store I can pick it up for you. Feel free to PM me.

Cody_D165

Banned
This thread is still around, so I'm posting it here. Found Kirby Super Star Ultra for 25€ today. Used, mind you, but it looks as good as new to me. Game is going for moderately high prices online, as far as I can tell.

I 100%ed a friend's copy when it came out and I'll gladly do it again. One of the best Kirby games, for sure.

Fantastic game, enjoy.

MarkusRJR

So my lime green DS lite finally stopped working. It was honestly my favorite handheld ever (favorite color and a bad as a design). I'm looking at getting a new DS to play my DS games. Should I try and find a new lime green one so I can still play GBA games (lowest price seems to be around $250), or should I get a bronze DSi XL? The latter looks super classy, but I'm worried games will look bad blown up so much. I'm also concerned regarding comfort. I have a 3DS XL and it's super sketchy to play in bed. I basically have to hold the top screen up because the upper screen is so heavy for the hinges.

Can anyone with a DSi XL give me some advice?

gngf123

What are some notably rare ds games?

Radiant Historia was rare for a while and would sell for approaching $100, but it got a reprint so it isn't rare any more. I think the one with the soundtrack is still pretty rare though.

Not a game, but there was a Twilight Princess preview cart handed out at... E3 I think? That is pretty damn rare.

I think I remember physical cartridges of Diamond Trust of London being pretty rare, but I don't even know what happened with that.

I'm sure there are a few rare JP only games that I don't know about.

What are some notably rare ds games?

Diamond Trust of London. It was disseminated to Kickstarter backers and the remnants of their low print run must be purchased through them directly.

The Club Nintendo-exclusive Game And Watch releases are probably scarce. Specifically the 2nd one.

If it's about aftermarket value, the "winner" has to be Platinum Games and Nudemaker's Infinite Space.

So my lime green DS lite finally stopped working. It was honestly my favorite handheld ever (favorite color and a bad as a design). I'm looking at getting a new DS to play my DS games. Should I try and find a new lime green one so I can still play GBA games (lowest price seems to be around $250), or should I get a bronze DSi XL? The latter looks super classy, but I'm worried games will look bad blown up so much. I'm also concerned regarding comfort. I have a 3DS XL and it's super sketchy to play in bed. I basically have to hold the top screen up because the upper screen is so heavy for the hinges.

Is the color that important to you? If not I'd suggest just picking up any old ds light, they cab sell for $40, also don't bother with the dsi xl, atleast I wouldn't.

maxcriden

Is the color that important to you? If not I'd suggest just picking up any old ds light, they cab sell for $40, also don't bother with the dsi xl, atleast I wouldn't.

I'll second this. I really find the DS Lite to be extremely comfortable and awesome to use. It's got one of the best d-pads, too.

Cody_D165

Banned

If you are comfortable opening up the consoles, you could always buy a different functional DS lite and swap the guts of the new one into the lime green shell. This video has the instructions, I used it awhile back to put a new shell on a DS with a cracked hinge.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Playing Infinite Space, just cruisin around, picking up blue prints and stuff. Can see myself getting totally lost in this game xD

Battles are sort of a drag, but I love modding my ship and crew!

Edit: got the EU version, it's pretty cheap

This one depends on the copy. I remember the US version of the game selling for a lot more than the PAL version.

Are there any significant differences between the US and EU versions? I missed out on this game but I'm considering just picking up an import copy.

Replayed DBZ: Attack of the Saiyans recently. I find that game so enjoyable, all JRPG fans should look into it. I wish it was slightly better balanced is all.

I also tried to give Radiant Historian another shot. I feel kind of bad about it but the exact same thing happened as the first time I played it. For the first few hours I'm thinking how interesting it is and then I just become insanely bored. I think my issue is how long the random encounters take and how they all play out exactly the same. I guess the story isn't really gripping me either. Maybe I'll give it another go down the line but...

Started playing the first Etrian Odyssey again. I got to the fifth stratum about a year ago I think but for some reason got distracted by something else. Thought it would be impossible to get up to speed on what I was doing and where I was but found it all surprisingly familiar. I'm very happy that I have three more of them to play in the future.

Backlog also includes the four Dragon Quest games which I haven't touched at all.

MarkusRJR

So I ended up getting a hold of a new DSi XL for $140. Brought it home and noticed it has 3 dead pixels on it (one is a stuck pixel and it's bright red), all in the middle of the screen. Never been so annoyed in my life. I don't mind dead/stuck pixels on a high res screen, but on such a low resolution screen it's incredibly distracting and annoying. Everything about the device is perfect apart from the damn screens. Now I'm bound to never use the device and leave it in a cupboard somewhere. Such a fucking waste of money that I'm legitimately angry.

I tried returning it and the manager told me that since it was open I could only get a replacement but since it was the last unit they had no legit options for me.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
This thread isn't dead after all. Huh.

I bought Dragon Quest IV the other day. Feels good to finally have a copy. Now I have an excuse to play through I-VI and IX. And VII if SE ever localizes it.

redcrayon

This thread isn't dead after all. Huh.

I bought Dragon Quest IV the other day. Feels good to finally have a copy. Now I have an excuse to play through I-VI and IX. And VII if SE ever localizes it.
Thread wises from the grave!

Hey BinaryPork, did you ever pick up Rondo of Swords in the end? If so, what did you think?

Just bought Last Window; a bit steep at $50 but after the LTTP today I have a real urge to pick it up and play it. Very very excited.

Cody_D165

Banned
Grabbed Hotel Dusk Room 215 and Puzzle de Harvest Moon for $2 each at a garage sale last weekend. Can't resist grabbing games for that cheap.

Top Bottom