• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Official Nintendo DS Collecting, Appreciation, and Nostalgia Thread

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Grabbed Hotel Dusk Room 215 and Puzzle de Harvest Moon for $2 each at a garage sale last weekend. Can't resist grabbing games for that cheap.

Now that's a good find. Most of the garage and yard sales around here haven't been the best lately, all I've been finding are shovelware and bootlegs of GBA games.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not a huge fan of Gamestop, but I decided to go to one of the local ones because it had Hotel Dusk: Room 215 and Rondo of Swords for relatively cheap prices. Thanks to looking in the bargain bin, I came out with those two, Contact, Lost in Blue, and Trace Memory all for around $18. Probably won't get around to playing them for a while, but I own them now at least.

I'm not a huge fan of Gamestop, but I decided to go to one of the local ones because it had Hotel Dusk: Room 215 and Rondo of Swords for relatively cheap prices. Thanks to looking in the bargain bin, I came out with those two, Contact, Lost in Blue, and Trace Memory all for around $18. Probably won't get around to playing them for a while, but I own them now at least.

on occasion, GS is good for getting used stuff for way under retail. Another example is Korg DS 10+. They surprisingly undercut 3rd party resellers on eBay and amazon, assuming you have the game in stock.

DrKelpo

Banned
GEDC0817_zpsa141f52f.jpg

I love Picross 3D so much... It's easily my most played puzzle game. So addictive.

To the guy, who borrowed the dsi from his friend.
If you have the chance, get the second Layton and also wario ware touched.

daydream

Banned
Well, just went on a bit of a buying spree and ordered some games. Decided to close some holes in my DS collection, also:

Monster Tale
Pokemon Conquest
Go! Go! Cosmo Cops!
Soul Bubbles
Dragon Quest V

Should all arrive during the course of next week.

maxcriden

Well, just went on a bit of a buying spree and ordered some games. Decided to close some holes in my DS collection, also:

Monster Tale
Pokemon Conquest
Go! Go! Cosmo Cops!
Soul Bubbles
Dragon Quest V

Should all arrive during the course of next week.

Ooh! Great finds. I just got both Monster Tale and Soul Bubbles from a GAFer a month or so ago. I've yet to play them, but I'm very interested in both. Especially Monster Tale since my wife said Henry Hatsworth is a lot of fun (haven't tried it yet) and it's the same developer.

daydream

Banned
Ooh! Great finds. I just got both Monster Tale and Soul Bubbles from a GAFer a month or so ago. I've yet to play them, but I'm very interested in both. Especially Monster Tale since my wife said Henry Hatsworth is a lot of fun (haven't tried it yet) and it's the same developer.

Monster Tale and DQ5 will be US versions, since the latter goes for (comparatively) ridiculous prices over here. I was also looking for other titles like Dark Spire, Retro Game Challenge, Puzzle League DS, Kirby Mouse Attack and AW: Dual Strike, but didn't find anything that suited my current budget (well, I had to make a selection). Looking to get those till the end of this year, though.

pikablu

Recently picked up Digimon Dawn and Digimon Dusk for $30 each. No case or manual but I literally couldn't find them anywhere. Soon after I saw several listings on ebay for them complete around the same price. Kinda hurt but ah well I'm glad to have some games that seem to be getting harder and harder to find.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Recently picked up Digimon Dawn and Digimon Dusk for $30 each. No case or manual but I literally couldn't find them anywhere. Soon after I saw several listings on ebay for them complete around the same price. Kinda hurt but ah well I'm glad to have some games that seem to be getting harder and harder to find.

Those Digimon games were great, I remember having a blast with them when I was younger.

Penguin1084

Neo Member
I'm so happy this thread exists!

I got my DS when it was first released and I've loved it ever since. I really got into a collecting fever with the DS, and most (if not all) of my games are complete with original covers and inserts. Obviously the Action Replay and R4 covers are printed. The two no-cover cases in the picture are Band Hero and another copy of Kirby Superstar Ultra

Here's my collection:

http://imgur.com/QtI04uX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XmzWfEG.jpg

Just popped out Tetris DS because it's probably my favorite game from the DS library. Nostalgia time!

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
on occasion, GS is good for getting used stuff for way under retail. Another example is Korg DS 10+. They surprisingly undercut 3rd party resellers on eBay and amazon, assuming you have the game in stock.

Yeah, it's really weird considering some of their other business practices. I recently picked up Moon (the Renegade Kid game) from them for $1.99 or a little under that, along with a few other games. I never really checked the bargain bin area in any GS store before, but they've got some really good finds, even if they are all loose carts.

This reminds me that I still need to find copies of Luminous Arc 1 & 2 at some point. Shame that 3 never made it west.

Scratch that, picked up a copy of 1 today.

Koppai

This thread made me realize there are still some DS games I need to pick up like 999, Layton 4, and several others.

maxcriden

I'm so happy this thread exists!

I got my DS when it was first released and I've loved it ever since. I really got into a collecting fever with the DS, and most (if not all) of my games are complete with original covers and inserts. Obviously the Action Replay and R4 covers are printed. The two no-cover cases in the picture are Band Hero and another copy of Kirby Superstar Ultra

Here's my collection:

http://imgur.com/QtI04uX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XmzWfEG.jpg

Just popped out Tetris DS because it's probably my favorite game from the DS library. Nostalgia time!

Awesome collection! Starfy is such a great and under-appreciated game. So Tetris is pretty awesome, huh? Another GAFer told me this but I just don't get what would make one Tetris better than another. (I figure I must be missing something.)

BTW, is Wall-E a good game?

MilesTeg

Banned
The DS is easily my favorite handheld ever, and one of the best consoles of all time. So many great games. I first bought one in 2008, a used OG model which I still have. It's the only example (imo) of a handheld that could truly be your only game system at the time without any regrets. Long live the king.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
So Tetris is pretty awesome, huh? Another GAFer told me this but I just don't get what would make one Tetris better than another. (I figure I must be missing something.)

I think that the main appeal of Tetris DS is that the game has different modes unique to that version, along with mission mode where you're given specific tasks to perform. I think there was a puzzle mode too. It's been a long time since I've played my copy of it.

Oh DS why are you so lacking in my collection? I did just pick up Bomberman conplete to add to it. Not sure how good it is but for a couple bucks I figured I shouldn't pass on it.

Yeah I am embarrassed by how few DS games I have in my collection. For a system I love so much, having only about a dozen games is sad. I am planning on rectifying this within the next few months. Luckily DS games are still readily available at reasonable prices. It should be exciting to finally try some of the games people have raved about for years.

I went ahead and ordered some DS games. I picked up:

Dragon Quest IX
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Along with some 3DS games. I cannot wait to check these out in a couple days!

Diamond Trust of London. I believe it was only disseminated to Kickstarter backers.

The Club Nintendo-exclusive Game And Watch releases are probably scarce. Specifically the 2nd one.

If it's about aftermarket value, the "winner" has to be Platinum Games and Nudemaker's Infinite Space.

Diamond Trust is still available from the guys website, grabbed one last month. But yea, still has a low print run.

TnK

Today I learned that there are bootleg DS games out there. Ordered both kirby canvas curse and super star ultra, ended up with two bootleg games.

Today I learned that there are bootleg DS games out there. Ordered both kirby canvas curse and super star ultra, ended up with two bootleg games.
The heck? I didn't know this. I've had shitty GBA fakes before, but didn't know there were DS ones. Will have to be careful when buying in future.

Cody_D165

Banned

Would you mind posting photos of them? I'd like to be aware of what to look for. I've suffered the same fate with GBA games, bootlegs are pain. :/

choodi

Banned
After a little run-in with a GBA bootlegger on eBay, my policy now is to never buy games from eBay.

After first denying the games were fakes, I explained to him how I knew they were fakes because of the obvious telltale signs and that I would be reporting him to eBay. The guy refunded my money and didn't even ask for the games to be returned.

eBay did nothing and the guy was back up and running under a different account in no time.

TnK

Yep, unfortunately they're out there. Be vigilant.
First time I ever end up with a bootleg item from ebay. Guess I will buy used from now on.
The heck? I didn't know this. I've had shitty GBA fakes before, but didn't know there were DS ones. Will have to be careful when buying in future.
GBA games are easier to tell if they are fake compared to NDS from photos, kind of.
From ebay?

What was the indication that they were bootleg?

Edit: these?
Those boxes are for the PAL ones, I ordered a US copy. The bootleg games are still shrink wrapped, so I can't open them up to compare with the link.
Would you mind posting photos of them? I'd like to be aware of what to look for. I've suffered the same fate with GBA games, bootlegs are pain. :/
You can view the pics here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291167277927?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291167291319?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
From the pics, it really does not show that it is a fake or not, on top of that, the seller has a very positive feedback. Seems like the poor guy bought batch of bootleg games without him knowing. All the negative feedback is very recent.

Usobuko

Banned
Those boxes are for the PAL ones, I ordered a US copy. The bootleg games are still shrink wrapped, so I can't open them up to compare with the link.

I don't try to be an expert but aren't some of the DS games shrink wrapped? Like Konami's castlevania?

TnK

I don't try to be an expert but aren't some of the DS games shrink wrapped? Like Konami's castlevania?

A lot of DS games are shrink wrapped, yes, but this one has a shrink wrap type I have never seen before. Plus, the boxes in general are of low quality.

zigg

Do fake NDS games run cleanly on DSi/3DS yet? e.g. with the proper icon and all?

I'm assuming my copy of Meteos is legit…

daydream

Banned
Added the following games to my collection:

- Ninjatown
- Super Princess Peach
- Kirby Mouse Attack (aka Squeak Squad)

Latter two are used, but in very good condition. Stumbled across them in a game store I frequent, awesome find for sure. Online prices for those are higher than you'd expect.

maxcriden

Added the following games to my collection:

- Ninjatown
- Super Princess Peach
- Kirby Mouse Attack (aka Squeak Squad)

Latter two are used, but in very good condition. Stumbled across them in a game store I frequent, awesome find for sure. Online prices for those are higher than you'd expect.

Ohh man, great finds. I haven't played much of Super Princess Peach but my wife loved it. And Kirby Mouse Attack is plenty of fun and pretty under-appreciated.

batrush

I'm in the market for a 3DS machine. I'm currently looking at the blue Fire Emblem 3DS and the gold LoZ 3DS XL. Disregarding their prices -- which would you folks recommend? For reference, I'm really fond of the DS Lite's ergonomics.

maxcriden

I'm in the market for a 3DS machine. I'm currently looking at the blue Fire Emblem 3DS and the gold LoZ 3DS XL. Disregarding their prices -- which would you folks recommend? For reference, I'm really fond of the DS Lite's ergonomics.

As a fellow DS Lite fan, I personally prefer the form factor and pixel density of the original 3DS vs. the XL. I don't love the d-pad but games rarely make much use of it compared to the circle pad. It's a more portable size for me and I just really like how it feels. The XL feels like a bit too big of a handheld for me personally. (FWIW I find the GB Micro to be way too small.)

Top Bottom