• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's struggle with the meaning of "minimalism"

Efu2gyY.jpg

I leave for an hour and we've gone deeper.

Minimalism is still left misunderstood.

Fucking hell it keeps going. I'm making some phone calls. Gonna organise a mass sterilisation because some of you shouldn't be allowed to breed.

I've a spare ticket for the Moonraker if you want. You, me and Jaws can laugh at all these mutants left behind.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I leave for an hour and we've gone deeper.

Minimalism is still left misunderstood.

I've a spare ticket for the Moonraker if you want. You, me and Jaws can laugh at all these mutants left behind.

At least you can tell which ones are the joke posts. Thank christ.

But maaaaan, those serious ones....still have chest pains from the Ico post.

GorillaJu

I was looking at the front page thinking "absolutely none of these are minimalist" then noticed the title change :lol

Brutal stuff

Gsnap

The "WA" in Alan Wake and "AV" in Heavy Rain are particularly egregious.

Why exactly? Not saying you're wrong or attacking you. Just genuinely curious what's wrong with them. I'm working on making some pictures for my site, and it would be nice to have an idea of why a certain font might turn someone off so much. What exactly makes them egregious?

Why exactly? Not saying you're wrong or attacking you. Just genuinely curious what's wrong with them. I'm working on making some pictures for my site, and it would be nice to have an idea of why a certain font might turn someone off so much. What exactly makes them egregious?
Not the person you asked, but the spacing is awful, at least to my eye.

GorillaJu

No idea what that guy is talking about. The letterspacing is fine, when you get to letter spacing that wide you aren't supposed to kern individual letters because it breaks up the rhythm.

The problem with the Heavy Rain cover is RAIN. There's no reason to have "RAIN" in bold oblique, like why is there special emphasis on that word? It comes off as an embellishment for embellishment's sake.

The typeface is Futura, which is an extremely ubiquitous font that goes well even when letterspaced.

Edit: Oh fuck, the post linking misled me, I thought we were talking about the original Heavy Rain cover with the origami bird in the rain.

Indeed the minimalist covers with the all caps Helvetica titles have terrible kerning :lol How could you even mess that up, Adobe's kerning algorithm is near infallible.

Guess Who

Banned

It's about how the letters are spaced, called kerning. WA and AV are particularly noticeable letter combinations where bad kerning is apparent, because the letters use diagonal lines. Because of the shape of the letters, having one letter drawn right where the previous one ends causes them to look very spaced out, so you actually want the letters drawn closer together. Here's an example from Wiki:

cjeyJdF.jpg

No idea what that guy is talking about. The letterspacing is fine, when you get to letter spacing that wide you aren't supposed to kern individual letters because it breaks up the rhythm.

The letter spacing on those covers isn't wide at all, and the lack of proper kerning makes those two letter combos very noticeable.

Gsnap

The problem with the Heavy Rain cover is RAIN. There's no reason to have "RAIN" in bold oblique, like why is there special emphasis on that word? It comes off as an embellishment for embellishment's sake.

The typeface is Futura, which is an extremely ubiquitous font that goes well even when letterspaced.

Edit: Oh fuck, the post linking misled me, I thought we were talking about the original Heavy Rain cover with the origami bird in the rain.

Indeed the minimalist covers with the all caps Helvetica titles have terrible kerning :lol How could you even mess that up, Adobe's kerning algorithm is near infallible.

It's about how the letters are spaced, called kerning. WA and AV are particularly noticeable letter combinations where bad kerning is apparent, because the letters use diagonal lines. Because of the shape of the letters, having one letter drawn right where the previous one ends causes them to look very spaced out, so you actually want the letters drawn closer together. Here's an example from Wiki:

cjeyJdF.jpg

The letter spacing on those covers isn't wide at all, and the lack of proper kerning makes those two letter combos very noticeable.

Interesting. I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks.

Also, yeah. Now that it's been mentioned I can see it.

GorillaJu

cjeyJdF.jpg

Yep, I see now what covers you're taking about. I thought you guys were talking about

mx7pw4f.jpg

Which someone else posted above.

DeathPeak

Not only does this thread contain virtually no minimalist covers, but it contains some straight up bad covers.

That Bioshock example is my favorite one though.

There is literally nothing minimalist about Shovel Knight's art, either in terms of formal minimalism or colloquial minimalism.

EDIT: I thought you were serious, thank God. Nearly had an aneurysm.

I wonder what the ratio is between troll posts and just plain clueless posts.

For the sake of humanity I hope most people are trolling.

God I know art terms are confusing but people...
Some covers here can be viewed as simplistic but there is barely any minimalist.

Top Bottom