• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Top 10 Most Anticipated Games of 2014

Gartooth

I can safely say that every single one of those game's in the top 10 is one that I plan to try out this year. Witcher 3 in particular is one that I really need to look into... as well as going in and finishing the first two games! :p

When people voted for Halo 5, do they mean the excitement of seeing more cod elements added to destroy the franchise, or do they really expect a good halo game? Because Im all for watching a trainwreck from a distance.

Man, don't talk like that. I want the next Halo game to be good :( and 343 is certainly not ignorant of how their version of Halo's gameplay formula was received by Halo's once-loyal playerbase. Hopefully they're making significant changes.

it wasn't even specifically the addition of 'cod' elements that ruined 4's feel and longetivity, just the subtle paring down or removal entirely of Halo tropes and gameplay quirks that defined the series up until that point.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Lots of Sony Fans on the site (As evidenced by the Order being in the Top 10), and Destiny is the big new shooter IP that will be on both consoles. Makes sense to me.

Or maybe people are excited to play games despite what platform they are on? Good lord.

HeelPower

The Witcher? LMAO

Dark Souls was fucking robbed. Shame on you GAF. At least now we have a good way to separate the men from the children.

The Witcher 3 is way more exciting than dark souls.

Its the first true next gen RPG and it looks to be ground breaking.

DarkSouls 2 is just more of the same in all honesty.

kswiston

Haha, I heavily doubt it has anything to do with NeoGAF being a site full of "Sony fans." Not to mention Titanfall is releasing on the PC. Is X above Titanfall because NeoGAF is also full of Nintendo fans?

Do you think it is a stretch to say that Microsoft has the smallest vocal following on this site? We've had the GAF Games of the Year thread every year since 2004, and 2010 and 2011 were the only years that the big prize didn't go to a Sony or Nintendo exclusive.

The Witcher 3 and Dark Souls II are also my two top titles I am looking forward to, I cannot complain about this list. It is going to be an amazing year for RPGs.

FluxWaveZ

Do you think it is a stretch to say that Microsoft has the smallest vocal following on this site? We've had the GAF Games of the Year thread every year since 2004, and 2010 and 2011 were the only years that the big prize didn't go to a Sony or Nintendo exclusive.

I don't think it has any relevance to the games people are most excited for, even if it were the case. Not everything has to be a console war.

Sendou

Pretty solid list. I find it funny Persona 5 is there even when we know next to nothing about the game and the western release is likely over a year away. Not that I disagree with the choice necessarily.

I just need to see the witcher on consoles to really anticipate it, for right now I can't stop thinking about inFamous.

And Hotline Miami needed to be much higher.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Lots of good stuff coming this year. Halo can convince me to get an XB1 and Smash will probably get me on the Wii U train. My wallet is sad, but this should be a great time for games.

kswiston

I don't think it has any relevance to the games people are most excited for, even if it were the case. Not everything has to be a console war.

My intention was not to start console wars, so I'll drop it. Originally I just meant that there are a lot of Sony fans on the site. A game that can be played by Sony-only people, Microsoft-only people, and multiplat owners would be more likely to be voted for than one that does not include one of those groups. That is all.

I own neither new console and will probably continue to own neither for most of this year, so I am not invested either way.

HeelPower

Graphics apart, i can't see something revolutionary in TW3.

the quest design and story telling will be greatly expanded.Probably like never before in a game.

If this game adds to TW2 they way its expected to, it will be revolutionary.A massive open world with actual depth.

aravuus

I never really got into TW2 so I don't agree with the number one pick, but other than that, it's actually a good list. I'm a bit surprised.

When people voted for Halo 5, do they mean the excitement of seeing more cod elements added to destroy the franchise, or do they really expect a good halo game? Because Im all for watching a trainwreck from a distance.
Master Chief was wearing a poncho, A PONCHO. Which can possibly mean he may have a sombrero and Doritos.

Parmenide

the quest design and story telling will be greatly expanded.Probably like never before in a game.

If this game adds to TW2 they way its expected to, it will be revolutionary.A massive open world with actual depth.
TW3 was one of my picks, but i don't think it's going to be revolutionary (nor will DaS 2). TW2 didn't manage to top Deus Ex, System Shock, Torment or Baldur's Gate in terms of storytelling and like it or not (personally i don't) TES has a pretty impressive world-building, i'm pretty sure that TW3 will be a better game but it's "just" an improvment, not something never done before.

cj_iwakura

Man, some salty-ass Dark Souls fans in this thread.

I looove Dark and Demon's Souls, and easily want Dark Souls II more than W3(especially since my PC that struggled to run W2 will get laughed at by W3), but I can totally respect why W3 is more desirable. It's really a cut above.

Drake

Another game I should have voted for and I didn't think of it until it was too late is Game of Thrones by Telltale. I'm super stoked for that game.

Amir0x

Banned
Yes @ how high Dark Souls 2 is. And because I am completely apathetic about modern FPS game design, and the pedigree at Respawn which created that very environment to begin with, I'm not so disappointed Titanfall is at 9 instead of "every award ever won by game media so it's number one, we've played it so it's true!" If it has some form of perks, I must be a skeptic.

Fairly nice list. Witcher 3 does look AMAZING, but Dark Souls 2 is probably my number one.

Edit: Oh, nice to see "X" on the list as well. I hope it's the catalyst to bring at least a small influx of new owners for Wii U. It's the little system that could

Mifune

Mehmber
Only games that I voted for on there are Broken Age and The Witness. Still it's a great list and gives me much to look forward to this year.

breakfuss

lololol, some of these rankings are incredibly telling and confirm prior suspicions but I'll just leave it at that. And should we count Persona 5?

I don't know where exactly to place my excitement, honestly, but I guess that's a good problem to have.

HeelPower

TW3 was one of my picks, but i don't think it's going to be revolutionary (nor will DaS 2). TW2 didn't manage to top Deus Ex, System Shock, Torment or Baldur's Gate in terms of storytelling and like it or not (personally i don't) TES has a pretty impressive world-building, i'm pretty sure that TW3 will be a better game but it's "just" an improvment, not something never done before.

I have played TW2 four times and I keep discovering and making connections in the story.

Its extremely complex and well thought out.

TW3 will be add way more to that and choice actually makes a huge difference in the story.

That's why I think , if done right, its gonna be something freakishly good and unprecedented in its depth.

N.Domixis

Banned
Maybe they could have had some Gaf goty awards fi they would have created more ips on the 360. It was mostly just forza, fable, halo, and gears.

Top Bottom