• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Top/Essential RPGs

Talon

TheExodu5 said:
If you have played much online, you'd know just how horribly imbalanced it is.

Nothing can beat a Hammerdin with an enigma in terms of survivability and killing power. Amazons are useless, Assassins are useless, Barbarians are completely useless, Necros are only useful in the survivability department (good for hardcore), Sorcs are only good for the very poor (or very rich if you make a lightning sorc).

After having played it for so long, I'm just astounded at how bad the balance is in Diablo 2.
Wrong. There are too many effective classes in this game for a variety of situations to make one class "the best." Hell, the Hammerdin's nowhere near as good as it was pre-LoD.

Hybridzons, Matrons, Trapzins, PvP Assassins, Berzerkers, Pike Barbs, CE Necros, FOrb sorc, Meteorb, etc.

There's no "right" way to play the game.
TheExodu5 said:
No it hasn't. Previously CE Necros were overpowered. Then it was Bowazons. Then Hammerdins/Smiters. In any case, they keep shifting the balance in a terrible direction. On top of that, the game is purely focused on multiplayer...singleplayer balance is completely broken. With rune drop rates and the focus on high level runewords, it's clear the game is balanced around duping. Blizzard has simply lost touch with the legitimate player base.
Multiplayer makes Diablo II.

News at 11.

Rolf NB

kswiston said:
90 - tie) Wizardry VIII: Tales of the Forsaken Land - 6 votes
Does this actually exist? Is this one game or did you get two mixed up?

The Wizardry 8 I voted for is this one:
8gi0.jpg

PC only, circa 2001, fuck-awesome.

Raggy

Banned
Even though voting is done;

I'm suprised noone voted for Faery Tale, or Dungeon Master. My top 2 RPGs of all time, if you don't count online games (UO)

kswiston

bcn-ron said:
Does this actually exist? Is this one game or did you get two mixed up?

The Wizardry 8 I voted for is this one:

PC only, circa 2001, fuck-awesome.

Oops, you are right. Somehow, I combined the PC game and one of the PS2 games (that had a single vote). I fixed the entry. Unfortunately, it bumps wizardry from being tied for 90th place to being tied for 95th.

Raggy said:
I'm suprised noone voted for Faery Tale, or Dungeon Master. My top 2 RPGs of all time, if you don't count online games (UO)

Dungeon Master made the list, albeit 95th place.

Rolf NB

kswiston said:
Oops, you are right. Somehow, I combined the PC game and one of the PS2 games (that had a single vote). I fixed the entry. Unfortunately, it bumps wizardry from being tied for 90th place to being tied for 95th.
It's ok. Science demands it!

eggandI

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
No it hasn't. Previously CE Necros were overpowered. Then it was Bowazons. Then Hammerdins/Smiters. In any case, they keep shifting the balance in a terrible direction. On top of that, the game is purely focused on multiplayer...singleplayer balance is completely broken. With rune drop rates and the focus on high level runewords, it's clear the game is balanced around duping. Blizzard has simply lost touch with the legitimate player base.

Again, of course there are going to be "best" builds every single game is like that. There are still tons of other effective builds that people play and constantly come up with. It's not that Blizzard deliberately make one char op, they try their best with the amount of resources they have and that's that. High runes were meant to be things that only a few were able to obtain. Of course back then they probably underestimated the power of poopsock gamers who must have perfect everything.

Diablo is MP focused? really? what other insightful news do you have for me? How do High runes break singleplayer again? HOW is singleplayer focused around high runes? you are making no sense holy shit. "It's clear the game is balanced around duping" ? :lol I don't even know why I am wasting my time.

kswiston

I have a question, and I figured posting it here would be better than making a new thread:

I recently acquired Icewind Dale 1 and 2 from Goozex. Assuming that I might not have time to play both of them (which is ok, they were $2.50 worth of points each), which game should I play?

Just found this thread today and I must say it was a great read and I learned about a ton of great RPGs I never knew about before. Besides new games this thread also reminded me of some classics I loved back when they first came out and seeing mentions of the different Grandia games made me want to go back and play the main ones again.

I was thinking of Grandia 1 on PSN (will be my first time playing this one), Grandia 2 on Dreamcast, and Grandia 3 on PCSX2. However, I just realized when looking them up that Grandia 2 came out for PC. How was the port compared to the Dreamcast version (which was superior to the PS2 version from what I remember)? Does it work on Windows 7 with no problems? Any place online to buy it still?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
kswiston said:
I have a question, and I figured posting it here would be better than making a new thread:

I recently acquired Icewind Dale 1 and 2 from Goozex. Assuming that I might not have time to play both of them (which is ok, they were $2.50 worth of points each), which game should I play?

1 first.

Gilgamesh

shinki said:
Is this a real screenshot? If so what version is it from? I don't remember the character models looking this good at all.
It's a mod for the PC version that lets you use the in-battle models everywhere.

kswiston

trk_rkd said:
not saying it has to be top ten but seeing ultima VII that low is seriously odd.

As is always the case with these sorts of lists, newer games always fair comparatively better than older games. Also, I'd say this site is skewed towards console gamers, so being both old and a PC game did not help Ultima VII any.

DaBuddaDa

kswiston said:
As is always the case with these sorts of lists, newer games always fair comparatively better than older games.

The top 4 games in the list came out between 1994-1999. Ultima 7 was 1993.

kswiston said:
Also, I'd say this site is skewed towards console gamers, so being both old and a PC game did not help Ultima VII any.

By my count, 33 of the games on the list are available on PC. Considering this list covers all consoles throughout all time, the PC is the #1 represented system on the list.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DaBuddaDa said:

Sure, but what he's saying is that like the imdb top 250 list, the games from 2007-2009 will more often than not end up descending the list in subsequent votes, even subsequent votes from the same people.

Owensboro

kswiston said:
As is always the case with these sorts of lists, newer games always fair comparatively better than older games.
DaBuddaDa said:

Fallout 3 beating Fallout 2 or 1, Mass Effect 2 and Persona 4 being so high, and DQ VIII beating out DQ V is what jumps out to me. I'm not saying those games are bad, it's just that there are better games (IN MY OPINION)

The top 3 gives me a big shit eating grin on my face though. And I'm pleased not only was Earthbound so high, but that Mother 3 is up there to. More people should play Mother 3. And, sadly, World of Warcraft is probably the single greatest RPG of all time (if you have the time to sink into it). I wasted and thoroughly enjoyed more hours of my life in that game then all the other RPG's combined... and I'm not sad about that either. I just hope to god Cataclysm doesn't pull me back in (Hint: It probably will).

kswiston

DaBuddaDa said:

By my count, 33 of the games on the list are available on PC. Considering this list covers all consoles throughout all time, the PC is the #1 represented system on the list.

"PC" as a gaming platform has spanned 30+ years now. Consoles typically last 5-7 years. 10 at most (NES, PS2). I would hope that PC has more games on the list than any one console. There have been 10s of thousands of PC games over the years.

This list was compiled about a month before Final Fantasy XIII hit. I sort of wonder how it would have made out in the voting phase now that people in NA/EU have had enough time to play through the game. Would it have fared better or worse than Final Fantasy VIII?

faridmon

The World Ends With you, how sad to see you so low in the ranking.

I vote with my blood on that game. Also Shadow Heart.

Top Bottom