• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Top/Essential RPGs

kswiston

Summaries and pictures for #11-15 are up in the OP. I will continue to do summaries up until #25, after which I will just summarize games that I feel deserve highlighting/were selected as hidden gems in the top 50/100.

Top 10 current gen titles (360, PS3, Wii, DS, PSP, >2005 PC):

Demon's Souls - 64 votes
Mass Effect 2 - 39 votes
Fallout 3 - 36 votes
Mass Effect - 32 votes
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - 28 votes
Dragon Age: Origins - 26 votes
The World Ends With You - 23 votes
Tales of Vesperia - 19 votes
The Witcher - 18 votes
Neverwinter Nights II/Mask of the Betrayer - 12 votes

kswiston said:
Another interesting list:

Top 10 Games released before 1995

Final Fantasy VI - 89 votes
Earthbound - 39 votes
Final Fantasy IV - 31 votes
Secret of Mana - 26 votes
Dragon Quest V - 21 votes
Lunar Silver Star Story - 16 votes
Lunar 2 Eternal Blue* - 13 votes
Final Fantasy V - 12 votes
Phantasy Star IV* - 10 votes
Ultima VII - 9 votes

*Before 1995 in Japan.

- Only two wrpgs released before 1995 made the overall Top 100. Besides Ultima 7, the other was Dungeon Master.

Good to see at least 11 other people understand the greatness of Final Fantasy V.

Red Scarlet

It'd be hard to evaluate what would be 'essential' for me..I mean Ultima 4 was clearly essential for me (it was my first actual rpg I played/beat), but some people can't even beat it after promising to do so.

Zinga

Banned
Two less known RPGs released in the past 12 months I would consider being 'essential' for PC/WRPG fans are Divinity 2 and Risen.

Great games, had an incredible time with both and I would recommend them to anyone who calls themselves a PC RPG fan.

kswiston said:
Top 10 current gen titles (360, PS3, Wii, DS, PSP, >2005 PC):

Demon's Souls - 64 votes
Mass Effect 2 - 39 votes
Fallout 3 - 36 votes
Mass Effect - 32 votes
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - 28 votes
Dragon Age: Origins - 26 votes
The World Ends With You - 23 votes
Tales of Vesperia - 19 votes
The Witcher - 18 votes
Neverwinter Nights II/Mask of the Betrayer - 12 votes
This is an outrage!
kswiston said:
Neverwinter Nights II/Mask of the Betrayer - 298 votes
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - -1 vote
Ah, much better.

cosmicblizzard said:
Great top 25. I guess Gaf doesn't hate JRPGs as much as I thought. Glad to see nearly every game I love in the genre on the list. Great that Skies of Arcadia got so much love.

Edit: Also cool that the only WRPG I like is in the top 10.

* Kyon facepalm *

HK-47 said:
lol since when did GAF hate JRPGs, right? In imaginary "my genre is a victim of GAF opression" land?

Not just that, but also the only one WRPG that he liked thing. After him not getting Planescape: Torment, that one WRPG had better be Baldur's Gate II.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
kswiston said:
Top 5 strategy rpgs:

Final Fantasy Tactics - 53 votes
Valkyria Chronicles - 38 votes
Disgaea - 20 votes
Shining Force 3 - 7 votes
Shining Force 2 - 6 votes

Not the most popular category I guess.
Uh, what? How does this list not include the series that pioneered the genre? Even a quick glance through the thread shows at least 13 votes for Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and 8 for Fire Emblem. So....?

Brinbe

Nice list, I suppose. Pretty much everything in my personal list is up there. Only Morrowind/Fallout missed out.

HK-47 said:
lol since when did GAF hate JRPGs, right? In imaginary "my genre is a victim of GAF opression" land?

I see people insulting the genre all the time here. Always seeing "why would I play this weaboo crap" and "I don't play games where men look like women". Vocal minority I guess. No genre is safe from the never ending cynicism of Gaf.

cartman414 said:
Not just that, but also the only one WRPG that he liked thing. After him not getting Planescape: Torment, that one WRPG had better be Baldur's Gate II.

Diablo 2. Sorry to disappoint you.

cosmicblizzard said:
I see people insulting the genre all the time here. Always seeing "why would I play this weaboo crap" and "I don't play games where men look like women". Vocal minority I guess. No genre is safe from the never ending cynicism of Gaf.

Vocal minority man.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
cosmicblizzard said:

Duh. There are way more JRPG fans here then haters. WRPGs get the same kind of dumbasses, though you wouldnt know cause you dont bother with the genre.

Fimbulvetr said:
Vocal minority man.

Yeah, I figured.

Zeliard said:
Ever try Deus Ex?

Played it for a few hours. I'm constantly criticized for this here, but I actually have a problem getting into things with a first person perspective including JRPGs with first person battle systems. I have no idea what it is. What's stranger is I used to love first person shooters. I've been desperately trying to figure out what the problem is since I'm missing a lot of essential JRPGs (Earthbound, basically the whole DQ series) but to no avail.

Snakeyes

Aww, wish I could've taken part in the voting. Anyways the list is pretty much spot-on. I'd add Phantasy Star IV, Vagrant Story and Chrono Cross in there but I'm sure they'll appear in the last spots.

cosmicblizzard said:

Diablo 2. Sorry to disappoint you.

You are a meathead confirmed. :p

kswiston

Top 50 has been added to the OP (plus post #3). Also finished summaries for #16-20. That is it for me this evening. Will try to do a little more tomorrow, but I think what is already up there makes a decent list for those wanting to flesh out their collections.

grandjedi6 said:
Uh, what? How does this list not include the series that pioneered the genre? Even a quick glance through the thread shows at least 13 votes for Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and 8 for Fire Emblem. So....?

you are right. I somehow missed the Fire Emblems when looking through my list.

CORRECTED TOP 10 SRPGS

Disgaea - 20 votes
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 13 votes
Fire Emblem (GBA) - 8 votes
Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice - 5 votes
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - 5 votes
Tactics Ogre - 5 votes

Oh cool, Grandia 1 and 2 just made it. Glad Gaf is aware of one of the best battle systems in JRPG history.

Edit: I'm also pretty surprised Fire Emblem: POR got higher than the GBA game. I thought it was generally accepted that FE was better if for no other reason than it being the first one in the west.

grandjedi6

kswiston said:
Top 50 has been added to the OP (plus post #3). Also finished summaries for #16-20. That is it for me this evening. Will try to do a little more tomorrow, but I think what is already up there makes a decent list for those wanting to flesh out their collections.

you are right. I somehow missed the Fire Emblems when looking through my list.

CORRECTED TOP 10 SRPGS

Disgaea - 20 votes
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 13 votes
Fire Emblem (GBA) - 8 votes
Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice - 5 votes
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - 5 votes
Tactics Ogre - 5 votes
oh good

thanks for all the work you've put into this kswiston :)

*Sees 26-50 have been added*

"Cool, I know Mother 3 made it, now to see where Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (one of the greatest games ever made) placed. I mean, it's already too low, but surely it must have made the Top 50."

*reads Top 50. Doesn't see Thousand Year Door*

*rubs eyes; re-reads*

"Ctrl-F "Paper Mario"

"Goddammit, GAF!"

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I would have liked if we also did a point system, but cosidering some people just posted lists with no clear order, that clearly isnt possible.

grandjedi6

KuwabaraTheMan said:
*Sees 26-50 have been added*

"Cool, I know Mother 3 made it, now to see where Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (one of the greatest games ever made) placed. I mean, it's already too low, but surely it must have made the Top 50."

*reads Top 50. Doesn't see Thousand Year Door*

*rubs eyes; re-reads*

"Ctrl-F "Paper Mario"

"Goddammit, GAF!"
Paper Mario falls prey to the same problem that hampered Fire Emblem in that its votes were spread across the various titles. I wouldn't be surprised if both Paper Mario and TTYD were sitting near the top of the 50-75 list.

HK-47 said:
I would have liked if we also did a point system, but cosidering some people just posted lists with no clear order, that clearly isnt possible.

Yeah, I feel like we would've gotten a more accurate list if it was like the Gaf GOTY point system.

Every potential system has its strengths and weaknesses. For a study attempting to discern the "essential" games, an equal point system is probably better.

In a ranked system you can have games which a few people love and most people don't care for doing really well, while in an unranked system you can have a game which a lot of people like some but no one is really in love with doing better than the first game.

The only way to actually get an "accurate" result would be to require everyone to rank every single potential entry from best to worst (with no ties). In addition to this being ridiculously time consuming and unfeasible, it would also require everyone to have played every single RPG ever.

grandjedi6 said:
Paper Mario falls prey to the same problem that hampered Fire Emblem in that its votes were spread across the various titles. I wouldn't be surprised if both Paper Mario and TTYD were sitting near the top of the 50-75 list.

Yeah, I think that's a big part of it. With two excellent games, votes between the two of them are bound to be split (as opposed to with standalone games like Chrono Trigger). Really, both games deserve to be much higher than wherever they actually are.

kswiston

I think a lot of game series suffered from split voting. Take Fallout 1/2. They had 45 votes between them, but they are similar enough that most people only picked one or the other. Same goes for the Mario Rpgs, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and a few other long running series. Games like Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles have an advantage in that there is only a single game in the series to choose from (or in VC case, a single game people have actually had a chance to play).

Mario RPG games by votes:

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - 13 votes
Super Mario RPG - 13 votes
Paper Mario - 12 votes
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - 7 votes
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - 7 votes
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time - 1 votes

The series did get over 50 votes, but it was split pretty evenly between 3 games.

Zinga

Banned
Just reading the the list and i'm very surprised to see Demon Souls get a strong reception. I have heard good things, but I find it hard to believe that it is that 'good' to beat out RPGs which are considered to be the finest in the genre. Same goes with Valkyria Chronicles, suppose to be a good game but surprised that it beats so many giants of the genre.

Is it just the platform bias of NeoGAF is heavily in favour of the PS3 or as a PC gamer I am obviously not on the right platform for the best RPGs this generation?

darkwings

Banned
i know it is late, but here is my list anyway:

1. Skies of Arcadia Legends
2. Tales of the Abyss
3. FFVIII
4. Baten Kaitos Origins
5. FFX
6. Tales of Symphonia
7. FFIX
8. Baten Kaitos 1
9. Golden Sun 2
10. FFVI

2San

Zinga said:
Just reading the the list and i'm very surprised to see Demon Souls get a strong reception. I have heard good things, but I find it hard to believe that it is that 'good' to beat out RPGs which are considered to be the finest in the genre. Same goes with Valkyria Chronicles, suppose to be a good game but surprised that it beats so many giants of the genre.

Is it just the platform bias of NeoGAF is heavily in favour of the PS3 or as a PC gamer I am obviously not on the right platform for the best RPGs this generation?
Don't you know gaming started in 2005.

kswiston

2San said:
Don't you know gaming started in 2005.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised how few current gen games made the list. Only 15 current gen games (>2005) made the top 100+ (18 games tied for 96th place with 5 votes). I doubt you would have had a NeoGAF list where 85%+ of the picks were games older than 5 years in any other genre.

I will post the top 100+ (all 114 games with 5+ votes) shortly. I am not going to post the results of every single game voted for. I think it dilutes the purpose of having an essential list of rpgs if you are listing 200+ games where half of the titles were games that only 1-3 people out of almost 300 voters felt were worth mentioning.

Unfortunately, some of my favourites fall into the forgotten category. Since it is my thread, here are a few games I wish more people cared about.

E.V.O: Search for Eden - 3 votes
- This is a wonderful little action-rpg loosely based on the Gaia theory, and the evolutionary history of vertebrates. You start as a little fish, and you have to fight and evolve yourself through the epochs (eventually evolving through the ages of amphibians, reptiles, dinosaurs, and mammals), defeating anyone who tries to stand in the way of life's evolutionary progress. Gameplay is simple, but the evolution based, character progression system is really fun. If I was voting myself, this would have been my hidden gem.

Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven - 1 vote
- The Might and Magic series occupied a lot of my time in college. For those who have never touched the series, they are similar to the Elder Scrolls games, in that they are played from a first person perspective, but you are given a team of 4 characters instead of a single Avatar. Combat is a lot more lively than the elder scrolls games, and the games have a fun sense of humor. The proper series died along with Ultima near the end of the 90s, but M&M IV-VII are still very playable unless you can't stand playing anything older than 10 years. You can buy the first 6 games in the series from GOG.com for $10 as the Might and Magic 6-pack.

2San

Durante said:
I have both Valkyria Chronicles and Ultima VII in my list, make of that what you will.
Surprising is all I can say. I just can't find it in my heart to diss VC, eventhough I do think it shouldn't be rated that highly.

kswiston said:
I'm actually pleasantly surprised how few current gen games made the list. Only 15 current gen games (>2005) made the top 100+ (18 games tied for 96th place with 5 votes). I doubt you would have had a NeoGAF list where 85%+ of the picks were games older than 5 years in any other genre.
That's pretty surprising actually I only looked at the top 20. Bravo at GAF. I guess.

kswiston

I think one of the bigger surprises for me on this list is how few people mentioned the Kingdom Hearts games. The entire series received a collective 18 votes (12 for KH1, 3 each for KH2 and BBS). Compare that to relatively obscure series like Baten Kaitos (15 votes between two games) and Shadow Hearts (16 votes between two games).

I have never actually beat a KH title (played through about half of the first game), but I figured a series that has sold 10 million+ copies would have received more votes.

2San

kswiston said:
I think one of the bigger surprises for me on this list is how few people mentioned the Kingdom Hearts games. The entire series received a collective 18 votes (12 for KH1, 3 each for KH2 and BBS). Compare that to relatively obscure series like Baten Kaitos (15 votes between two games) and Shadow Hearts (16 votes between two games).

I have never actually beat a KH title (played through about half of the first game), but I figured a series that has sold 10 million+ copies would have received more votes.
That's a good thing isn't it? The game is heavily overrated anyhow. Imo BK/SH series are better.

Ben Sones

kai3345 said:
any list that doesn't include (insert shitty, old as fuck, and/or obscure RPG here) in the top 5 is invalid

Yeah, okay. Ultima is shitty, old, and obscure? It's easily the most influential RPG series of all time, and is often cited as being the original inspiration for the entire JRPG genre. Ask Yuuji Horii or Shigeru Miyamoto if they think that the Ultima games are shitty or obscure. And Ultima VII came out around the same time as the #1 game on the list, for whatever it's worth.

And it's not just that there are no Ultima games in the top five--there are none in the top fifty. That's just nutty. It's like making a 50 essential films list in which Avatar places in the top five but Citizen Kane and the Godfather don't even make the list.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Thought this would be a good place to post this.

I was just wondering what reasons you GAFfers play the RPGs you play. Is it the combat,story,music,charachters,dialogue etc.. ?

Personally, for me to enjoy an RPG it needs to have an amazing soundtrack, interesting charachters, a unique and interesting universe and a great combat system and a great story. This is why I love the Final Fantasy series as most of the games in the series tick all those boxes and more, except for FFXII which I felt was sorely lacking.

Randy

What a list, so much memories. Many of those games delivered some of the finest gaming moments in my life. Great job for putting this up!

Yottamole

Banned
kswiston said:
Unfortunately, some of my favourites fall into the forgotten category. Since it is my thread, here are a few games I wish more people cared about.

E.V.O: Search for Eden - 3 votes
- This is a wonderful little action-rpg loosely based on the Gaia theory, and the evolutionary history of vertebrates. You start as a little fish, and you have to fight and evolve yourself through the epochs (eventually evolving through the ages of amphibians, reptiles, dinosaurs, and mammals), defeating anyone who tries to stand in the way of life's evolutionary progress. Gameplay is simple, but the evolution based, character progression system is really fun. If I was voting myself, this would have been my hidden gem.
But that's not really an RPG right...? But yeah, great game. (Koichi Sugiyama's the composer!)

Mr_Brit said:

I was just wondering what reasons you GAFfers play the RPGs you play. Is it the combat,story,music,charachters,dialogue etc.. ?

Personally, for me to enjoy an RPG it needs to have an amazing soundtrack, interesting charachters, a unique and interesting universe and a great combat system and a great story. This is why I love the Final Fantasy series as most of the games in the series tick all those boxes and more, except for FFXII which I felt was sorely lacking.
I play them for the atmosphere, the world itself and for upgrading weapons/characters and defeating strong enemies just to get more weapons. ;D That's why FFtactics advance is my favourite Final Fantasy by far, for example. I haven't played many RPGs with good stories or characters, though. Short: well realized gameworld+looting=fun.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Mr_Brit said:

Stats and grindan'

Top Bottom