• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

Mercutio

Thanks for the impressions! I'll definitely be grabbing one soon.

Yeah, it works very very well. Compared to other units I've read about, this is clearly the one to purchase.

A few crap shots of it in action:
e2b1f742-8797-4f7e-a49a-9300a352ff17_zps37f5e404.jpg

As stated, there's a very slight angle on it. It is relatively stable though, and while you COULD wiggle it, you'd have to actually nudge the unit pretty hard. Moving it carefully while on with everything inserted doesn't mess anything up.

From any other angle, everything looks perfect.
IMAG0177_zps0s2tlxjn.jpg

Hellboy approves.

Shame about the way that particular seller packages them though.

Found dusty diamond's all star softball in excellent condition with manual. Supposed to be a pretty fun sports game and a bit uncommon.

Anyone need the manual? I don't collect them so I'll be selling it.

D.Lo

From any other angle, everything looks perfect.
IMAG0177_zps0s2tlxjn.jpg

Hellboy approves.

Here's mine, it sits more flush, but carts are backward.
Every game I've ever tried works fine (apart from ones that have problems on any system, looking at you, my seemingly mint copy of Bayou Billy...), but I don't play the actual carts anymore most of the time, they stay on the shelf in their boxes and I run the games through the N8.

-KRS-

Got a cart of Shatterhand in the mail today along with Gradius and Snake Rattle n Roll. I've never really played Shatterhand much. In fact, after I booted it up and started playing it today I'm not sure I've ever played it at all. But I kept hearing good things about it, and it's a Natsume game so I figured it had to be pretty good. And it looked interesting in videos.

And... it's actually better than I expected! It's pretty hard though, but it doesn't seem to be unfairly hard. You just have to practice a bit. The controls are tight and precise so it never feels like it's the game's fault that you die. The graphics are pretty amazing for an NES game. There is some slowdown in places but overall I'd say they did a remarkably good job keeping it running smoothly. And the music is really great as well. I don't think I heard one song that wasn't awesome. The sound effects are also superb and very satisfying somehow. I also love the fact that you can punch the bullets enemies shoot at you. Like, "Fuck your stupid bullet!"

So yeah, they really knocked it out of the park with this one. I guess I'll have to get S.C.A.T. and Power Blade as well at some point... probably Power Blade first. S.C.A.T. was already on my list but it's so expensive. T_T

Mercutio

Further notes on the NES to Famicom adapter I got:

Me:

Dear cheapgamestuff,

So I did try out the adapter, and it does work properly.

There's no way I can fill out positive feedback given the way it was shipped though. You can't just jam a $40 item in clear plastic packaging that it does not fit in, then bind it with tape and put a shipping label on and then charge me $6. Simply unacceptable; a simple padded envelope would have completely done the job.

I really want to recommend this product to other members on the forums I frequent, as they're looking for something similar and it seems to be the best available. I can't though, as there's no way you nor I can promise that it won't be damaged in shipping.

Them:

ok do what you have to do. We have never had one arrive damaged in over 10 years selling them but we are running real low on stock and have to raise the price again next week anyway.

- cheapgamestuff

So, there you go. If you want a great adapter for $40 instead of whatever they're going to jack it up to now and you don't care about how it's packaged, this is the time.

thomasos

I'm thinking about picking up a Famicom and a Famicom Disk System, but I've got a couple of questions I'm hoping someone might be able to answer.

Will the Disk System work with the AV Famicom?

What are the advantages of an AV Famicom over a "regular" Famicom, and how much more should I expect to spend on the former?

Is there anything else I should know about these systems before taking the plunge?

Thanks!

Mercutio

I'm thinking about picking up a Famicom and a Famicom Disk System, but I've got a couple of questions I'm hoping someone might be able to answer.

Will the Disk System work with the AV Famicom?

What are the advantages of an AV Famicom over a "regular" Famicom, and how much more should I expect to spend on the former?

Is there anything else I should know about these systems before taking the plunge?

Thanks!

1. Yes, the Disk System works on the AV Famicom.

Famicom_Disk_System.jpg

2. The AV Famicom has AV Composite output; something the original Famicom lacks entirely. You'll either need to have an original Famicom modded for AV / RGB / Whatever or use the RF it outputs. This is problematic even if you do have a TV that accepts it; Japanese TVs had different channels. 3 or 4 on the Famicom's channel selector is something like 95 on a USA TV. Also, RF looks like garbage.

3. If you hunt around you should be able to find a complete AV Famicom for around $100-$150. They're fairly common in Japan since they were made for so long, and boxed ones aren't that tricky to get.

Other stuff:

The AV Famicom originally came with two controllers that have very short cords. They also did not actually come with AV cables; the SNES or N64 ones work fine though. See if you can get one with the plastic cover on the side.

The AV Famicom can use NES controllers, but the light gun is some kind of different story. I think it natively uses the Japanese version that plugs into the side, but cannot take the USA Zapper without a mod.

Check out the Twin Famicom or Twin Famicom Turbo if you want another option that involves the Disk System. Might save you some money, though the audio on the Twin is muffled (both version) without a simple mod. No mater what Disk System you get though, make sure the belt has been replaced recently. They rot and fall apart.

thomasos

1. Yes, the Disk System works on the AV Famicom.

Famicom_Disk_System.jpg

2. The AV Famicom has AV Composite output; something the original Famicom lacks entirely. You'll either need to have an original Famicom modded for AV / RGB / Whatever or use the RF it outputs. This is problematic even if you do have a TV that accepts it; Japanese TVs had different channels. 3 or 4 on the Famicom's channel selector is something like 95 on a USA TV. Also, RF looks like garbage.

3. If you hunt around you should be able to find a complete AV Famicom for around $100-$150. They're fairly common in Japan since they were made for so long, and boxed ones aren't that tricky to get.

Other stuff:

The AV Famicom originally came with two controllers that have very short cords. They also did not actually come with AV cables; the SNES or N64 ones work fine though. See if you can get one with the plastic cover on the side.

The AV Famicom can use NES controllers, but the light gun is some kind of different story. I think it natively uses the Japanese version that plugs into the side, but cannot take the USA Zapper without a mod.

Check out the Twin Famicom or Twin Famicom Turbo if you want another option that involves the Disk System. Might save you some money, though the audio on the Twin is muffled (both version) without a simple mod. No mater what Disk System you get though, make sure the belt has been replaced recently. They rot and fall apart.

Thanks for all the great info! I'd never even heard of the Twin Famicom before, but that looks like it might be the way to go. What does the audio mod entail if you don't mind me asking?

Mercutio

Thanks for all the great info! I'd never even heard of the Twin Famicom before, but that looks like it might be the way to go. What does the audio mod entail if you don't mind me asking?

I don't have the unit, nor have I performed it myself, but:

Basically the Twin Famicom has a filter applied to the audio. This makes the sound "muffled." If you remove it, you get sound like what the AV Famicom provides.

Info here:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?20737-Repair-Log-Sharp-Twin-Famicom/page2

I've seen Twin Famicom Turbos on YAJ for around $120-$130 with a new belt installed:

http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b164557169

Anth0ny

While we're on the subject, which AC adapter does the AV Famicom use? I've noticed a lot of the AV Famicoms sold on ebay don't come with one. Should I be able to find one separately easily, or just wait for a complete AV Famicom to pop up on ebay?

Mercutio

While we're on the subject, which AC adapter does the AV Famicom use? I've noticed a lot of the AV Famicoms sold on ebay don't come with one. Should I be able to find one separately easily, or just wait for a complete AV Famicom to pop up on ebay?

Mine came with the original Nintendo one; I'll take a picture of the back when I get home for reference.

Speaking of pictures:

a1fc29fd-1acd-4e37-bb27-d9856631b683_zps68786671.jpg

The reason I got a Famicom instead of an NES has arrived. $40, I think fairly decent as far as things go right now.

thomasos

I don't have the unit, nor have I performed it myself, but:

Basically the Twin Famicom has a filter applied to the audio. This makes the sound "muffled." If you remove it, you get sound like what the AV Famicom provides.

Info here:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?20737-Repair-Log-Sharp-Twin-Famicom/page2

I've seen Twin Famicom Turbos on YAJ for around $120-$130 with a new belt installed:

http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b164557169

Thanks again! One more question: is there any difference between the Twin Famicom and the Twin Famicom Turbo aside from the turbo button functionality on the controllers? Because the Twin Famicom seems to be about $40 cheaper than the Turbo.

Mercutio

Thanks again! One more question: is there any difference between the Twin Famicom and the Twin Famicom Turbo aside from the turbo button functionality on the controllers? Because the Twin Famicom seems to be about $40 cheaper than the Turbo.

The Twin Famicom Turbo has longer controller cords too. They'd also be made a little later, so maybe less wear and tear? I know the Twin Fami cords as they are kind of require modding... they're criminally short. Like under 3 feet short. Since they're hard-wired to the machine, you'll have to sit damned close to it.

thomasos

The Twin Famicom Turbo has longer controller cords too. They'd also be made a little later, so maybe less wear and tear? I know the Twin Fami cords as they are kind of require modding... they're criminally short. Like under 3 feet short. Since they're hard-wired to the machine, you'll have to sit damned close to it.

It sounds like you can plug any accessory—including a controller—into that side port, so I think I'll just go that route and save the $40. Anyway, thanks again for all the insight; it's much appreciated!

Waterclocker

Neo Member

Me:

Them:

So, there you go. If you want a great adapter for $40 instead of whatever they're going to jack it up to now and you don't care about how it's packaged, this is the time.

I received one from him that got cracked in shipping and I received a partial refund. So yeah... great item... so so seller and poor packing...

Peagles

Me:

Them:

What a dick.

I'm tempted to send them an email saying I want to buy a huge lot but only if they are packaged properly as I've heard bad things from multiple sources. Wonder if that would get their arse into gear. It's really not that hard.

Edit: Actually I Googled them, looks like they've been pulling this crap for years, ugh.

That is a ridiculous response from them, Mercutio. I've got bubble mailers in bulk, and for that size needed, they could literally get perfectly suited bubble mailers for 0.17 USD each. It is truly ridiculous to not be using bubble mailers. Not to mention they could buy giant rolls of bubble wrap and use one sheet for added protection inside the bubble mailer at a very nominal cost, but we'll keep it simple and say they're assholes for skimping on 17 cents.

Mercutio

What a dick.

I'm tempted to send them an email saying I want to buy a huge lot but only if they are packaged properly as I've heard bad things from multiple sources. Wonder if that would get their arse into gear. It's really not that hard.

I think they don't even care. Clearly just some guy who doesn't give a shit for a company who is stingy, has good inventory and gives less shits. They're about to raise the price due to low inventory... Dick move. I wish someone else stocked these.

Peagles

I think they don't even care. Clearly just some guy who doesn't give a shit for a company who is stingy, has good inventory and gives less shits. They're about to raise the price due to low inventory... Dick move. I wish someone else stocked these.

Yeh, reading some responses other people got, it seems so. It's a shame really. Surely there must be some other place that sells them though? Are the ones at Stone Age Gamer no good? There's heaps on Ali Express too.

Mercutio

Yeh, reading some responses other people got, it seems so. It's a shame really. Surely there must be some other place that sells them though? Are the ones at Stone Age Gamer no good? There's heaps on Ali Express too.

The stoneage ones don't work with the AV Famicom unless you pull them out a little bit... It is already kind of a leaning tower situation. I haven't checked Ali, but I know a lot of places sell the backward label units. I think if you are picky and have an AV Fam, this might be the only game in town. $40 is rough, but how high will it go?

Peagles

The stoneage ones don't work with the AV Famicom unless you pull them out a little bit... It is already kind of a leaning tower situation. I haven't checked Ali, but I know a lot of places sell the backward label units. I think if you are picky and have an AV Fam, this might be the only game in town. $40 is rough, but how high will it go?

Yeh I think they are backwards ones on Ali, I think part of me just wants to find a viable alternative so I can find a way for people to not give their money to that lazy arse, lol.

GUN-NAC

I've had no problems with the grey converter and my AV Famicom. Worked every time, although I'd prefer one that doesn't have the carts facing backwards.

I didn't buy mine from stoneagegamer, just ebay, years ago.

Mercutio

Yeh I think they are backwards ones on Ali, I think part of me just wants to find a viable alternative so I can find a way for people to not give their money to that lazy arse, lol.

Ha, yeah, me too. Like as repentance for giving him my money, I want to make sure he gets nobody else's. I've literally spent 20 minutes hunting around, and haven't found any other source. These are the smoke-clear plastic ones, with white text talking about NES CARDS.

There are good bare-board converters that are good, but I don't feel like that's a safe way to do things...

Mercutio

This one looks pretty good:

nSf4Ti5.jpg

7IE2GRH.jpg

Just pics, I have no idea where it's sold. I'm okay with the lack of casing if it's cheap.

I believe that is the Tototek.
http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=147
Apparently a brilliant converter, just lacking a housing.

Discussion of it here:
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=114221

I considered it, but I want to play NES games at least 50% of the time; worried about the strain on the cart slot with board alone.

Peagles

Not a bad reason to get an Everdrive N8 I guess. I just have the original NES but I don't miss taking the carts in and out, it's divine. My Famicom collection is tiny but at least I can play them on there via the N8. Still, just ordered a bunch of Gyromite carts in the hopes of making an adapter at some point.

-KRS-

This came in the mail today, finally found it for a decent price online.

Nice. It's one of my favorite FC exclusives. Could be a bit more challenging but other than that it's really really good. Well except the title screen which seems a bit boring for a game that came out in 1991. But that's such a minor thing to complain about. :p

Enjoy.

SPK would have made for a cool late release NES title IMO. Especially since it went into syndication in North America during the early 90s. Alas, it was never meant to be. I'd love to play the import some time.

-KRS-

It looks like a Chibi Ninja Gaiden based on youtube footage... but with cats.

And pizza!

...actually there aren't any pizzas in the game from what I saw, but I remember reading on here that they run a pizza restaurant in the anime or something.

Ninja Gaiden mixed with Mega Man is a pretty good description, but much easier than either of those.

And pizza!

...actually there aren't any pizzas in the game from what I saw, but I remember reading on here that they run a pizza restaurant in the anime or something.

Ninja Gaiden mixed with Mega Man is a pretty good description, but much easier than either of those.

They do, its called Pizza Cat.

-KRS-

Spent some more time with Shatterhand. Managed to beat all the regular stages somehow and got to the last (?) stage with the boss rush. Holy crap it's hard haha. Getting to and beating the first boss was pretty easy after a few attempts, but the second boss you meet there is the one I thought was the most difficult in the regular stages. I wasn't able to get past him. He started blinking on my last try but alas, it was not meant to be this time. But it definitely feels beatable with some more practice. I hope there's a checkpoint in that level though... or do you really have to beat all five bosses in a row without dying?

Spent some more time with Shatterhand. Managed to beat all the regular stages somehow and got to the last (?) stage with the boss rush. Holy crap it's hard haha. Getting to and beating the first boss was pretty easy after a few attempts, but the second boss you meet there is the one I thought was the most difficult in the regular stages. I wasn't able to get past him. He started blinking on my last try but alas, it was not meant to be this time. But it definitely feels beatable with some more practice. I hope there's a checkpoint in that level though... or do you really have to beat all five bosses in a row without dying?

It's a pretty tough game. I would have thought it'd be easier in the Japanese version since it was based off of a tokusatsu series, but that is not the case. I'm glad I own both though :)

This one looks pretty good:

nSf4Ti5.jpg

Just pics, I have no idea where it's sold. I'm okay with the lack of casing if it's cheap.
This is what I use for my AV Famicom. Most games work brilliantly. Battle Kid 1 didn't work for me. Castlevania III doesn't work. Super C has a rather interesting glitch in Level 1. Supposedly there's a fix, but since it's lacking a shell and my lacking soldering experience, I've never bothered.

They're pretty easy to find on eBay. You used to be able to find them for cheaper, though.

Edit: You might try this website if you want it cheaper. It's one of the eBay sellers' website. Unsure on shipping.

This is rather exciting, they completed the translation patch for Lagrange Point. I have a Retron 5 and the cart, so I think I'll give it a go tonight. <not my main means of playing, but for things like this, it's fine>

Teknoman

This is rather exciting, they completed the translation patch for Lagrange Point. I have a Retron 5 and the cart, so I think I'll give it a go tonight. <not my main means of playing, but for things like this, it's fine>

Lagrange Point has a great soundtrack. FM synth on Famicom!

So...is there any way they could pull a Mr. Gimmick repro and figure out a way to have the game play correctly on a standard NES (or am I just misinformed)?

Teknoman

Mr. Gimmick repros are from an NTSC prototype, which had the music reprogrammed for the NES.

Ah, so then theres probably no real way to play it the way it was meant to unless you had a modded NES or Famicom.

On the note of repros, Sweet Home is the truth. Kinda annoying that if you use the full name spaces, it looks like " Andrewatttacks!" but i'll get over it.

Mercutio

I'd kill for a Famicom copy of the game modified for English. That'd be amazing. I have to imagine even the patched ROM on an Everdrive N8 wouldn't work because of the lack of a VRC7, right?

Top Bottom