• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

Blurgh! And even if someone did whip up a replacement ROM chip for the Fami cart, it'd still be nasty to get in there... those things not having screws is such a pain in the neck for battery replacements.

Tell me about it. I had to crack open my Batman cart to see what was wrong with it and now it looks ugly, and doesnt work at all. :(

Peltz

Guardian Legend - How the fuck do I play this game? I have the instruction manual but it's not really helping. I can't seem to progress in the on-foot section. Can someone give me some hints without spoilers as to what I'm supposed to be doing or where I should be going?

I heard this game is cool, but I'm having trouble feeling it right now.

Mercutio

Tell me about it. I had to crack open my Batman cart to see what was wrong with it and now it looks ugly, and doesnt work at all. :(

Ugh! That's terrible. I had a Zelda 1 Famicom cart and decided to just sell it on instead of replace the battery. It still saved at the time, but I was so sad to get it in such good shape and then realize I couldn't safely crack it open.

eXistor

Picked these up today from our local pawnshop.

3EIS73y.jpg

eXistor

Oh my god.

I don't even want to know how much you got Power Blade for, do I?

That's the thing, I payed €7,50 for each game. I honestly didn't even know Power Blade 2 was so rare and expensive until I checked on eBay earlier today. My local pawnshop always calls me first when they get new stuff in, they also had some other very rare games, but they were too expensive and shitty (stuff like Castle of Deceit and Challenge of the Dragon). I guess he checked those prices on eBay before calling me, but he didn't bother to check the other games.

Yeah felt pretty good when I saw those eBay prices, not that I'm gonna sell them or anything, but I like knowing it's worth something. Most carts are in pristine condition too, and the manuals are like new as well (except for Faria, that one's got some wear and tear, but nothing major)

Whoa. Are those even some repros in there? Power Blade 2 is one of those holy grail games.
Nope, pretty sure they're all legit.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
This is my latest NES pickup. It's a copy of Dragon Warrior that came free with a subscription to Nintendo Power!

wzjU9q5.jpg

YhY0Mzn.jpg

3EIS73y.jpg
Huwha?! I've never seen that Adventure Island alternate art. Which one is it?

Also, congrats on the Power Blade 2 score, I have two of them, somehow.

Faria and Ghost Lion and very nice obscure games, I like them both.

Teknoman

Looks like its "Adventure Island Classic" which I think is just the PAL release of the first game? I guess thats why I thought it was a repro, never saw that cover before.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Blurgh! And even if someone did whip up a replacement ROM chip for the Fami cart, it'd still be nasty to get in there... those things not having screws is such a pain in the neck for battery replacements.
JP Mega Drive carts are way worse. The label art is pasted over both the front and back side of the cartridge, so you're virtually guaranteed to fuck it up when opening it.

Teknoman

Astyanax is pretty cool. I still need Legacy of the Wizard, but was Kings Knight actually good? Cover art looks awesome.

Also man, lucky that they are pawning those with manuals! Wish I could get a connection with someone that would actually call me when stuff came in.

Astyanax is pretty cool. I still need Legacy of the Wizard, but was Kings Knight actually good? Cover art looks awesome.

Also man, lucky that they are pawning those with manuals! Wish I could get a connection with someone that would actually call me when stuff came in.

Could be worse. Could have no connections and have to rely completely on ebay/walking into places. :c

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

3EIS73y.jpg

Great set of pickups!

Faria! I vaguely remember that game from back in the day... a Zelda 1-ish game where you had to save a princess that was turned into a caterpillar or something. I could never figure out where to go since the dungeons were HUGE and hints were scant. I think Game Arts of Grandia fame made the game too.

Also Power Blade is excellent (really want to play the second game), Ghost Lion is a pretty obscure early 8-bit RPG that's not that good at all, and I want that Adventure Island!

eXistor

I've played King's Knight a little bit and I'd say it's decent, but it's mostly just fun to have such a weird little title (it's a top-down shooter with a fantasy theme basically).

The pawn shop is just down the block from where I work and I regularly send people to their store and they show their appreciation by doing stuff like this. I get pretty decent discounts there too.

/edit. sorry about the double post.

putermcgee

Found this at a Book-Off in the suburbs. 500 yen / $5.
The manual isn't in the best shape, but I've carefully unfolded the bent corners, and I'm hoping it flattens out if I put it between some heavy books.

-KRS-

Got this the other day:
Hello Kitty World

Don't laugh, it's actually pretty good. It's a Famicom port of the GB game Balloon Kid, only it has Hello Kitty characters instead.

Edit: Hmm the photo is not visible on my other computer. Does it show up alright for you guys? Edit2: Nevermind, it works in another browser.

D.Lo

Got this the other day:

Hello Kitty World

Don't laugh, it's actually pretty good. It's a Famicom port of the GB game Balloon Kid, only it has Hello Kitty characters instead.

Edit: Hmm the photo is not visible on my other computer. Does it show up alright for you guys? Edit2: Nevermind, it works in another browser.
Whoa, a port of Balloon Kid? I loved that game! I need this!

-KRS-

I like the box art
Yeah it's very bright and colorful, as to be expected from a Hello Kitty game I suppose. Looks really good and eye catching.

Whoa, a port of Balloon Kid? I loved that game! I need this!
Yup it's Balloon Kid but in higher resolution, in color and with better sounding music (it's the same music by Hip Tanaka but just sounds better). What more could you ask for really? It's pretty cheap as well. I bought this one as a BIN for $30, so you could most definitely find it for cheaper if you wait for an auction. This one was in very good condition and included all the inserts and even the stickers that came with the game, so I said fuck it and just bought it.

-KRS-

Just sent a message to the seller I bought the FC box protectors from asking if they'd consider making protectors for other FC box sizes. Hopefully they feel it's worthwhile. I'd really love having box protectors for all my boxed FC games, especially the early Namco/Hudson/Nintendo boxes.

womp

My brother has known for a while that I wanted a copy of Kid Dracula...he just got me this for my 41st birthday...

14%2B-%2B1
14%2B-%2B2

womp

Happy birthday!

Thanks! :)

Oh man, AWESOME Birthday gift!

Yeah, my second Famicom cart (I have a Xevious I bought for $3 as a goof). Has the plastic tray and manual inside, it was preowned.

Honestly not collecting as much now but I have always had a thing for this game. Next step is to try to shove it into my copy of Hogan's Alley with the Famicom adapter and give it a whirl. Just don't want to break it. I really wish there was an easy/cheap method of making my own adapter for the front loader but I just don't have the proper tools to do it. :(

Top Bottom