• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

Now you have to participate in The Thread.

lol but seriously, just got a Sweet Home repro (seemed more expensive to get a fami cart, then get that translated), and messed around in it to test things out. Definitely something to take your time with, and either its because of the composite, or the font is a little hard to read at times. Definitely something i'm going to start playing for the 31 days of horror come October 1st.

The Thread? I want to. What is it though?

Teknoman

The Thread? I want to. What is it though?

Im posting it tonight (or at least try to time it best when October the first hits...my time anyway). The 2nd annual GAF plays: 31 nights of horror.

Basically its just a big focus on all things retro and modern as far as horror / creepy / halloween themed games go. Everyone picks a few they might have just purchased, sitting in backlog, or never tried before, and see if they can clear them before October is over.

I think im going to roll with Sweet Home, Fatal Frame 1, Splatterhouse 2, and Castlevania: Rondo of Blood.

Of course Evil Within hits soon too...so...if its as good as I think it should be, that will be included too. No pressure to actually beat the games within that month though, as its mostly about recommendations, discussions, experiencing "new" games, and so on. It doesnt have to be a "serious" game either, as Costume Quest and stuff like Jersey Devil or Medievil should count as well.

womp

Cleaning some dupe and unwanted carts off tonight for this weekend's yard sale. I refuse to sell dirty games (the proceeds of which go into buying more NES carts for my collection).

Nothing exciting but this copy of Black Bass was extremely disgusting and came out really nice.

Before:

14%2B-%2B2

After:

14%2B-%2B3

Speaking of custom carts, my brother got a copy of Moai Kun at a local game show over the weekend. Looks like a lot of fun. Reminds me of a side ways playing Adv. of Lolo.

Im posting it tonight (or at least try to time it best when October the first hits...my time anyway). The 2nd annual GAF plays: 31 nights of horror.

Basically its just a big focus on all things retro and modern as far as horror / creepy / halloween themed games go. Everyone picks a few they might have just purchased, sitting in backlog, or never tried before, and see if they can clear them before October is over.

I think im going to roll with Sweet Home, Fatal Frame 1, Splatterhouse 2, and Castlevania: Rondo of Blood.

Of course Evil Within hits soon too...so...if its as good as I think it should be, that will be included too. No pressure to actually beat the games within that month though, as its mostly about recommendations, discussions, experiencing "new" games, and so on. It doesnt have to be a "serious" game either, as Costume Quest and stuff like Jersey Devil or Medievil should count as well.

You have my attention and participation.

Mercutio

I'm now thinking about doing the Twin Famicom Turbo, and removing the filter from the audio. A lot of Japanese sellers on YAJ sell these systems with brand new belts installed, and I've watched a bunch of belt-installation videos.

Anyone go the Twin Fami route?

Did some retrobrighting with the Volume 40 stuff. I had some problems with streaks being left behind at first if I just tried spreading it on it. So, I eventually just filled a small plastic tub with four bottles of the stuff, and one of normal liquid walmart-bought hydrogen peroxide (just cause I needed a little more to completely submerge the stuff). That worked great:

Lighting makes them slightly deceptive, but it's stormy out today so I don't have sunlight. You can still see a massive difference. Did an NES, Four Score, and Super Scope receiver, but the NES wasn't that bad to begin with and I didn't get before shots of them.

Peltz

the first version of the Famicom came with square and rubbery buttons but this was quickly withdrawn as the buttons kept getting stuck. as ever, never buy a console at launch!

VJsifzg.jpg

I own each of these. The corners of the buttons get dirty and crummy on the launch model. They feel like buttons from a Game & Watch. Not ideal for full console games.

womp

Just got this in today. Perfect condition! One of many games I never played originally on my NES back in the day but discovered over the years via emulation. Grabbing it now before it eventually gets over inflated in the crazy market we are experiencing. The funny thing is, unlike many games that command ridiculous money even though they are as common as dirt (Castlevania, Zelda...), Kickle Cubicle is the opposite and not a game you see every day. Not taking chances. Very overlooked game IMO.

As a side note...I just love how the shitty camera in my HTC One makes every pic I take have an unintended 'Instagram effect'. Sorry for the horrific quality. :(

Peltz

Just got this in today. Perfect condition! One of many games I never played originally on my NES back in the day but discovered over the years via emulation. Grabbing it now before it eventually gets over inflated in the crazy market we are experiencing. The funny thing is, unlike many games that command ridiculous money even though they are as common as dirt (Castlevania, Zelda...), Kickle Cubicle is the opposite and not a game you see every day. Not taking chances. Very underlooked game IMO.

As a side note...I just love how the shitty camera in my HTC One makes every pic I take have an unintended 'Instagram effect'. Sorry for the horrific quality. :(

I have that game. It's really weird.

-KRS-

I recently picked up the Japanese version of it myself when I last bought a bunch of FC games from a dude. Have been meaning to get it for years now but it just never happened. Still haven't played it though... :|

Also bought Sqoon from him which seems interesting, but again, I haven't played it yet. He also had what seems to be an unopened FC copy of Hatris which I bought since it was cheap, but I'm not opening that. It doesn't have that white line that comes from opening the lids and is in mint condition.

Mercutio

So I've ordered a Famicom AV. I've heard that some of the NES adaptors don't work properly, and I'm seeing one on eBay for around $40, and one on Stoneagegamer for $10.

What do people suggest?

Waterclocker

Neo Member
So I've ordered a Famicom AV. I've heard that some of the NES adaptors don't work properly, and I'm seeing one on eBay for around $40, and one on Stoneagegamer for $10.

What do people suggest?

The $40 one has full compatability with everything I have tried and allows the NES game label to face forward also. They used to be cheaper... I have a backup to use with my RGB AV Famicom.

Mercutio

The $40 one has full compatability with everything I have tried and allows the NES game label to face forward also. They used to be cheaper... I have a backup to use with my RGB AV Famicom.

Done and done. I watched a few videos, and it seems to be the best one to get. No fiddling, or pulling it halfway out of the cart slot. Shame about the price, but I can only imagine it'll go up from here. As with everything game-related.

D.Lo

What do people suggest?
stoneageganer one is excess stock from an old famiclone that was sold in the US. It's actually very nice, sits flush with the AV and works perfectly. Carts have to face backward however.

Is the ebay one you're talking about the one with the White label in the middle? The cart faces forward with those, but it sits way up out of the machine, looks bad and is less stable.

Mercutio

stoneageganer one is excess stock from an old famiclone that was sold in the US. It's actually very nice, sits flush with the AV and works perfectly. Carts have to face backward however.

Is the ebay one you're talking about the one with the White label in the middle? The cart faces forward with those, but it sits way up out of the machine, looks bad and is less stable.

The eBay one is this one:

images

And that seems to have the best reputation. I've been reading that the stone-age-gamer one has to be pulled out of the machine a little to work properly; something about the pins not being the right length for the AV Famicom.

D.Lo

The eBay one is this one:

images

And that seems to have the best reputation. I've been reading that the stone-age-gamer one has to be pulled out of the machine a little to work properly; something about the pins not being the right length for the AV Famicom.
Ah okay I haven't experienced that one.

Never had to do that with the stoneagegamer looking one, but I didn't get it from them, it came wit a Gametech Neo Fami about 10 years ago, so it might be slightly different.

Anth0ny

What do people suggest?

Stoneagegamer one says:
This adapter is known to have issues and may not operate with the following systems:

Famicom with CPU Board Version 02 (HVC-CPU-GPM-02)
Famicom AV
Sharp Twin Famicom
Game Axe

If you own any of the systems listed then you are purchasing this item at YOUR OWN RISK. All returns on this item are subject to a 30% restocking fee. If you do not agree with this then DO NOT purchase this item.

I was going to come in this thread and ask literally the same question, so let me know how well that ebay NES -> Famicom adapter works with the AV!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Just got this in today. Perfect condition! One of many games I never played originally on my NES back in the day but discovered over the years via emulation. Grabbing it now before it eventually gets over inflated in the crazy market we are experiencing. The funny thing is, unlike many games that command ridiculous money even though they are as common as dirt (Castlevania, Zelda...), Kickle Cubicle is the opposite and not a game you see every day. Not taking chances. Very overlooked game IMO.

Awesome game, I've been a long-time fan and my friend just picked up a copy of that and Mendel Palace yesterday.

Anyone played Heavy Barrel? Was playing that yesterday and it's not too bad, reminds me a lot of the overhead stages in Super C, with some weird scrolling.

Mercutio

Stoneagegamer one says:

I was going to come in this thread and ask literally the same question, so let me know how well that ebay NES -> Famicom adapter works with the AV!

Apparently the stone age one does actually work, but you have to pull the cart a few millimeters back out of the slot to make contact. Something about the pin length.

I figure the height of the nes cart is already kind of unwieldy in the AV Famicom, so I didn't want to make it worse by not being fully seated.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
bought fire n ice after the last deal fell through and finally just said fuck it and got a loose cart copy of little ninja brothers been waiting for a complete one to pop up but no dice also picked up some filler total recall, top gun 2 and captain skyhawk

-KRS-

Recently bought some Famicom box protectors from the seller Keep-em-minty on ebay. They're pretty great. Relatively thick and sturdy. And the boxes look very nice in them. I'm very happy with them. But they're of course only in that one size that seems to be the most common one, and he doesn't have any other size FC box protectors. So I was wondering if anyone know if the other sizes are available anywhere.

It's basically two other sizes that are the most interesting. The size that the early Namco and Hudson game boxes use (like Galaga, Tower of Druaga, Lode Runner etc), and the size that most of the "pulse line" of early Nintendo games use (like Baseball, Donkey Kong etc). Then there are other oddball sized boxes, but those two in particular seem to be common enough that there should be box protectors for them.

Edit: Oh and this is off topic but I don't feel like making a new post just for this in the GB thread. I also bought a few Game Boy/Virtual Boy box protectors from him and while the quality of them are the same as the FC ones, they're actually a bit too big. There's like 5 millimeters of extra space on the side and the top after you put a box in them. You can actually see this in the pictures on the listing but I just didn't notice it at the time. So I don't recommend those if you want perfectly fitting box protectors.

Mercutio

Question for folks: how English friendly are the Rockman Famicom carts? The USA versions are crazy expensive now, and it seems like I could get a full set of Japanese games for not much in comparison.

-KRS-

Question for folks: how English friendly are the Rockman Famicom carts? The USA versions are crazy expensive now, and it seems like I could get a full set of Japanese games for not much in comparison.

I don't have any of the FC games, but based on the SFC Rockman X games I'd say very. It's only the story parts that are in Japanese so they're perfectly playable. And I think most of the FC games don't really have much of a story. At least not one that is told through text and dialogue like in the X games.

Mercutio

I don't have any of the FC games, but based on the SFC Rockman X games I'd say very. It's only the story parts that are in Japanese so they're perfectly playable. And I think most of the FC games don't really have much of a story. At least not one that is told through text and dialogue like in the X games.

I'm mostly thinking of the menu screens; I can't remember if the different robot master powers had names in English.

Mercutio

So the NES to FC converter from eBay came today, and I'm absolutely shocked at how poorly it was shipped.

IMAG0159_zpsnoiurpxq.jpg

Here's what they did. They jammed the converter into cut-in-half screen protector package, taped it up, and then slapped a shipping label on it.

Completely unacceptable to charge $6 for this kind of shipping on a $40 item.

Mercutio

Doubt it's the same thing. I'm pretty sure anything shipped with postage printed from PayPal says PB on it. Plus I'm in the USA.

Peltz

100% friendly. No Japanese text other than the intros/endings. Plus the Rockman carts on Famicom are so cool looking.

6352854896_28db86d5a4_z.jpg

Each one is a different color <3

Mercutio

100% friendly. No Japanese text other than the intros/endings. Plus the Rockman carts on Famicom are so cool looking.

6352854896_28db86d5a4_z.jpg

Each one is a different color <3

Awesome! That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

So, notes on the NES cart to Fami connector I got, and will update with photos later.

1. It works perfectly with all the games I have. Granted, my collection is basic stuff like Super Mario 3 and Zelda 2, but everything I've got worked without issue.

2. It seats fully in my AV Famicom. No wiggling / pulling out required, the pins seem to go the full length of the slot and it seats very securely inside the unit with just a little bit poking out. It also isn't hard to remove or insert; the tolerances are absolutely perfect.

3. The NES cart slot at the top is every so slightly bent forward. This isn't a gigantic deal, and I doubt many people would even notice. It seems to be a product of the manufacture of the adapter; part of the molding. Basically your NES cart leans 2-3 degrees forward. It's still quite secure and you have to be very close to see it.

4. Carts face forward. This is a big one for me. I don't want any adapter that faces backwards.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member

I still have yet to make it through all the extra levels after the ending.

Anth0ny

Awesome! That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

So, notes on the NES cart to Fami connector I got, and will update with photos later.

1. It works perfectly with all the games I have. Granted, my collection is basic stuff like Super Mario 3 and Zelda 2, but everything I've got worked without issue.

2. It seats fully in my AV Famicom. No wiggling / pulling out required, the pins seem to go the full length of the slot and it seats very securely inside the unit with just a little bit poking out. It also isn't hard to remove or insert; the tolerances are absolutely perfect.

3. The NES cart slot at the top is every so slightly bent forward. This isn't a gigantic deal, and I doubt many people would even notice. It seems to be a product of the manufacture of the adapter; part of the molding. Basically your NES cart leans 2-3 degrees forward. It's still quite secure and you have to be very close to see it.

4. Carts face forward. This is a big one for me. I don't want any adapter that faces backwards.

Thanks for the impressions! I'll definitely be grabbing one soon.

Top Bottom