• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Death Note Trailer. Release August 25th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koyuga

This looks pretty great. Really don't mind them changing the names and characters around as long as they stick to the core story. Dafoe is gonna kill it as Ryuuk.

Daft_Cat

I'll say this much - if I wasn't already aware of Death Note (and what an entertaining slice of "Lovecraftian" noir it is), I'd still be intrigued. I also like that it's not some over-blown, Hollywood blockbuster type thing. Love all the neon lighting, along with the gritty, high school crime thriller sort of vibe -- reminds me a bit of Brick.

The director's a real up-and-comer too, which, combined with Dafoe, has me feeling plenty optimistic.

BossRush

I could understand the cries of whitewashing if this was a remake...but it's not. It's an adaptation. There's a difference.

kewlmyc

Film, unfortunately.

Unless they cut a ton, the story will be incomprehensible.

Why expect a beat per beat adaption? I figure they're going to do what nearly ever comic book movie does nowadays and use the concept of the original to make their own story. Civil War nor Logan wasn't a page per page adaption of the comic, none of the Marvel movies have been, and the same goes for the DC movies.

Ghost in the Shell is probably going to do the same, and I feel that works for the best.

I dont know about keeping faithful to Ryuk's design. There's a good chance of it looking too goofy and/or out of place.

I think it would be interesting if they took a similar concept from how Marvel Comics explains Galactus' appearance.
Every Shinigami is shapeless and has no true form. Their appearance and bodies will look different to every individual human.

BossRush

Having death note being written on the front cover is funny to me.

But that's canon isn't it?

372046e79c417977c58663ddbaf04875.jpg

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
They should have updated this for modern times and Western audiences. It should be a smart phone or tablet that has twitter with a special profile. Whenever you tweet someones name they end up dying.

Wait, I feel like I watched this exact thing in Black Mirror already.

tookhster

Thought it looked pretty good as an adaptation. But why a movie? That means everything will just be rushed like the Japanese movie, unless they're changing the plot (which I don't mind).

The Japanese live action show was terrible though, so I guess it makes sense to avoid that route.

Why is he actively running from cops? Like, wasn't that Light's whole schtick with regards to being caught? He was so calculated and cocky he'd continue right under their noses?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The notebook having its name on the front + the convoluted rules fit with the fact that the shinigamis
are just bored creatures that are ultimately taking the piss with humans

Thought it looked pretty good as an adaptation. But why a movie? That means everything will just be rushed like the Japanese movie, unless they're changing the plot (which I don't mind).

The Japanese live action show was terrible though, so I guess it makes sense to avoid that route.

This was originally going to have a theatrical release before stuff went down and Netflix picked it up. If Netflix had been involved from the beginning, maybe it would have been a show.

Why is he actively running from cops? Like, wasn't that Light's whole schtick with regards to being caught? He was so calculated and cocky he'd continue right under their noses?

Probably because it's not afraid to make changes to service the story for a 90 to 120 minute American film adaptation.

RedAssedApe

Banned
The lead has been in films that I've moderately enjoyed. Hopefully he does a good job here.

Rioting will commence if there is no potato chip scene reference tho

M3d10n

In for Dafoe Ruky.

Is Light supposed to be in High School?

Yes, in the last year. Which is why people don't bat an eye at him being in his room the entire day killing people because he's supposed to be studying for the college entry tests, which he clears later on.

Ruyk's explanation: he wrote the title and the instructions on purpose, so a human would pick it up and try to use it for his amusement. He wrote them in English because it was widely spoken on Earth.

They could condense the main plot of the manga into at least a 2-and-half-hour film if they
a) cut out Near, Mellow and Rem. or b) introduce Near earlier, keep L as the main detective for 2/3 of the movie and streamline Near into the last act.

This is likely how they'll rewrite "Kira" (from googling 'kira meaning'):

So Light made up a pseudonym that also means Light.

Yeah, that's what I think they're going to go with.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Ruyk's explanation: he wrote the title and the instructions on purpose, so a human would pick it up and try to use it for his amusement. He wrote them in English because it was widely spoken on Earth.

Ah...I completely forgot they explained it. Its been awhile. So basically trolling lol

Film, unfortunately.

Unless they cut a ton, the story will be incomprehensible.

but the previous Death Note movie wasnt incomprehensible??? I liked it and thought it did the story well.

Curious how this netflix adaptation will have it.

Actor wise I preferred the Live Action movie version of Light

Story Wise I preferred the Live Action TV Drama version of it (otaku light kun was the best, and L friendship with him was amazing).

Anime was great too.

Nzyme32

Lots of doubts for an English live action version. A lot of things won't work to me. Eg, Kira is still the name used in this version... which makes no sense to arise as the name.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Wasn't a lot of the 2nd season kinda bad and all over the place? I can't remember, been a while since I watched. Will be interesting to see how some of the ... zanier parts translate to live action.

Edit: oh this is a movie.

Probably because it's not afraid to make changes to service the story for a 90 to 120 minute American film adaptation.

True, and I am making assumptions about the suspense this film may deliver without even seeing the film proper, but I'd have thought if they were to adopt any theme from the source material, the subtle genius in which Light avoids the police for so long would have suited this film just fine - though watch the film completely invalidate me on this once it comes out.

Kaizer

Banned
Looked pretty dope, I'm looking forward to it! Definitely in for my boy LaKeith Stanfeild getting more work as L and Willem Dafoe as Ryuk should be really good.

I still don't see why people are up in arms about the cast being American, at this point there have been MULTIPLE live-action depictions of the Death Note story and I see this as just another interpretation.

Ban Puncher

Wasn't a lot of the 2nd season kinda bad and all over the place? I can't remember, been a while since I watched. Will be interesting to see how some of the ... zanier parts translate to live action.

Season 2/the second half of the manga is the work of a Shonen Jump editor jumping up and down whilst screeching "WE GOT A HIT ON OUR HANDS! MAKE MORE DAMN IT! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!"

Light is an emo
Action scenes and a police chase(?)
DRAMATIC MUSIIIICCCCCC
Good job missing the point of the manga

This is dragon Ball evolution 2.0

Kaizer

Banned
Light is an emo
Action scenes and a police chase(?)
DRAMATIC MUSIIIICCCCCC
Good job missing the point of the manga

This is dragon Ball evolution 2.0

???, literally everything you just listed was present in the anime and manga so I'm not really sure what you're getting at..........

Surprised theres so much complaining online, especially since people dont even have to use their hard earned dollars and pay a 7.50 movie ticket to see this movie on netflix, its like no cost to even give them the benefit of the doubt and check it out.

In a world with 4 Japanese version of live action death note theatrically released films, I think there is clearly room for an english casting and take on this to exist.

a916

Edit: oh this is a movie.

The second half was awful... what the hell happened to Death Note in between that.

???, literally everything you just listed was present in the anime and manga so I'm not really sure what you're getting at..........

Light was not an emo looking douche, there were no police car chase or direct action involving light, dramatic music used in the trailer is same shit used for action movies.

This thing gonna be trash

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It's funny in both places. Just even more so in live action. Don't get me wrong. I will watch this. Wasn't a "this looks fucking stupid" and more of a chuckle to myself.

Ryuk intentionally dropped his Death Note in the world for some human to pick it up and use. Putting DEATH NOTE in big dumb letters on it is a great way for it to get noticed.

Kaizer

Banned
Surprised theres so much complaining online, especially since people dont even have to use their hard earned dollars and pay a 7.50 movie ticket to see this movie on netflix, its like no cost to even give them the benefit of the doubt and check it out.

In a world with 4 Japanese version of live action death note theatrically released films, I think there is clearly room for an english casting and take on this to exist.

Exactly, I REALLY don't get the outrage over this, I feel like it's a different thing than Ghost in the Shell's whole deal. If GiTS had already had several live-action adaptations with a good budget that were well received I'd like to think people would be less up in arms about an American adaptation. With Death Note, if you wanna see the story done in its original setting you've got options to choose from already.

Macka

Remind me how Light was an emo in the anime/manga?

There were action scenes in the original, but this teaser has Light legit running from cops on foot and hanging off the side of a Ferris Wheel.

Manu

Remind me how Light was an emo in the anime/manga?

There were action scenes in the original, but this teaser has Light legit running from cops on foot and hanging off the side of a Ferris Wheel.

Could be the final 10 minutes of the movie used in the trailer to show some action.

He could very well be anonymous the entire movie and get his cover blown for the ending.
just like the original.

wmlk

I really don't like the edgy teen vibe given off in this adaptation. Makes it feel like Light is gonna be just some delinquent who comes across this crazy power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom