• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Death Note Trailer. Release August 25th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alienous

I really don't like the edgy teen vibe given off in this adaptation. Makes it feel like Light is gonna be just some delinquent who comes across this crazy power.

Oh man.

He's totally going to go after the 1%.

lol, that is absolutely happening.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
I dropped manga when
L died
. Didn't like the direction it headed but this could be intresting

???, literally everything you just listed was present in the anime and manga so I'm not really sure what you're getting at..........

Not entirely.

The entire point of the Light and his character is that he's this popular, good looking, super intelligent kid who has such a large ego he feels he's qualified and capable of riding the world of evil and being the judge, jury and executioner.

From the little shown of this, Light is portrayed exactly what everyone expected an American adaptation would portray him as, an emo, loner, sick of the world and on a power trip after coming into a book that let's him get his revenge on the world that's been so mean to him and other equally weak, defenseless people.

Obviously, I'm making assumptions, but I would bet I'm right on the mark

Kaizer

Banned
Light was not an emo looking douche, there were no police car chase or direct action involving light, dramatic music used in the trailer is same shit used for action movies.

This thing gonna be trash

Remind me how Light was an emo in the anime/manga?

There were action scenes in the original, but this teaser has Light legit running from cops on foot and hanging off the side of a Ferris Wheel.

Okay, for one I think you guys are still giving hot takes on very little footage released for this movie, but on the topic of Light, it's not so much that Light was a "Hot Topic, paint my finger nails black" emo, but he was definitely a "tryhard edgelord" that became progressively more & more annoying and egotistical as the series went.

Every time he went on one of his speeches about justice, or righting wrongs it just felt like one of those emo kids who's all like "yeah man, FUCK big government, put all power in the hands of the people!". By the end of the series dude was COMPLETELY self-absorbed & ridiculous. So I'll give you that, when Death Note initially starts, Light is a handsome, intelligent & sociable kid that deep down was always harboring dark views. I still think it's too early to judge which way the movie will go though, it could be done well or really bad. I'd rather stay optimistic for now.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I really don't like the edgy teen vibe given off in this adaptation. Makes it feel like Light is gonna be just some delinquent who comes across this crazy power.
Maybe I'm misremembering but Death Note has always felt super edgy teen to me.

Macka

but he was definitely a "tryhard edgelord" that became progressively more & more annoying and egotistical as the series went.

Every time he went on one of his speeches about justice, or righting wrongs it just felt like one of those emo kids who's all like "yeah man, FUCK big government, put all power in the hands of the people!". By the end of the series dude was COMPLETELY self-absorbed & ridiculous. So I'll give you that, when Death Note initially starts, Light is a handsome, intelligent & sociable kid that deep down was always harboring dark views. I still think it's too early to judge which way the movie will go though, it could be done well or really bad. I'd rather stay optimistic for now.
I don't know if tryhard edgelord is the right description for him either, but regardless - anything that gave you those vibes (and any of his speeches about justice, etc) were all internal monologues. On the surface Light remained a socially adept, athletic and charismatic guy pretty much the entire way through. The casting for Light in this just doesn't suit the character imo. Maybe the teaser is deceptive, but I mean platinum blonde dyed hair and smoky eyes? Eesh.

Looks hot. I have a feeling this will surprise a lot of people.

That's the third "Based on the international phenomenon" I've seen this morning. Come up with a different phrase, trailer people.

I hope Wingard's trademark dark humor is still there. Wasn't in the trailer.

I thought it was just me..WTF?

O_Atoll

Wow completely dropped the ball on Light Yagami. Light is an easy cast. His character is top of the class Harvard genius stud popular guy. But this guy they cast is looking like a loner drug addict. How can you mess this up?

Arkeband

Banned
Wow completely dropped the ball on Light Yagami. Light is an easy cast. His character is top of the class Harvard genius stud popular guy. But this guy they cast is looking like a loner drug addict. How can you mess this up?

Because it's Light Turner, who lives in America, and whose entire story resolves in the span of one movie, whereas two Japanese live action films could only deliver a truncated version of the first half of the original story.

Expecting a faithful adaptation of the original source material is a bad idea.

MUnited83

For you.
I mean, at least that is just the way it looks, there is no way of knowing if it will actually be that way in the final product. At least i don't think it will be as much of a mess as the drama TV series was.

I'll give you the shinigami, Misa, and to some extent L, but Light's aesthetic is preppy all the way through, and the adult (human) characters all dress like normal professionals. Though based on the teaser it looks like Netflix might be taking their version of Light in a different direction.

Even Light gets emo'd up in the anime where they make his inner personality have dyed hair. And while it's going for a prep look, his hair cut could easily be emo bangs.

The Shinigami, specifically Ryuk, look more like 80s rockstars or metal band imagery, Misa is a gothic Lolita idol and L dresses normally and just has bags under his eyes. Every single other person in the show looks and dresses normally.

What are you even talking about?

Have you been in a Hot Topic before

Macka

Because it's Light Turner, who lives in America, and whose entire story resolves in the span of one movie, whereas two Japanese live action films could only deliver a truncated version of the first half of the original story.

Changing and compressing the plot is completely understandable.

I think preserving the core characters is pretty important in any adaptation though. I also don't see how it's at all relevant that there's only going to be a single movie. Does making him a social outcast fit better into 90 minutes? That doesn't make much sense.

Even Light gets emo'd up in the anime where they make his inner personality have dyed hair.
Bro...L's hair is blue in those scenes. It's classic red vs. blue to make them stand out against each other, etc. It's not red because he's emo.

I think the shocking thing about all of this is that it's a movie and not a TV Show. Judging by the fact that the previous Jap adaptation had to split the movie in 2 and only managed to tell half of the manga/anime story line. I wonder how much they'll be able to fit into just one.

EDIT: I guess the good news about all of this is that we don't necessarily have to go to a movie theater and pay to watch this if we already have Netflix.

O_Atoll

Casting and portraying the character the same as the original can't be done in a 2 hour movie but portraying him as a loner druggie can be done in 2 hours? Is that what you're trying to say?

O_Atoll

I mean, at least that is just the way it looks, there is no way of knowing if it will actually be that way in the final product. At least i don't think it will be as much of a mess as the drama TV series was.

I'm talking about the Anime not the drama that i dont care about at all. I don;t understand why they are making Light and L the complete opposite of the original source material. L in the source material is a loner who is described as kinda weird but L in the movies looks like someone edgy and cool. While Light source material was a hansome, preppy ivy league genius who was also a top athlete. But in this movies, he looks like a loner sitting at a graveyard and depressed at the world.

They could have easily cast Light as the popular 4.0 student & starting Quarterback for Stanford university. And L as a guy that is a top hacker loner like Elloit from Mister Robot but they did the opposite.

Casting and portraying the character the same as the original can't be done in a 2 hour movie but portraying him as a loner druggie can be done in 2 hours? Is that what you're trying to say?

He's trying to say Light Turner is an intrepretation of the character and not an exact match, and running time, or lack thereof, could've well factored into the changes amongst other things.

O_Atoll

He's trying to say Light Turner is an intrepretation of the character and not an exact match, and running time, or lack thereof, could've well factored into the changes amongst other things.

I understand that. But what i don't understand is how lack of time affects the original interpretation.

LotusHD

Banned
I don't have a link but you can google for the pictures someone took while they were filming. It's a black hoodie with a black half face mask. In broad daylight as he was giving (I assume) a speech for the police.

True...

netflix-deathnote-l-keith-stanfield-1.jpg

Keith-Stanfield-Short-Term-12.jpg

Looks fucking hype.

As one of the bigger death note fans from my day, I think it's fine if it's different from a manga. You just can't adapt the manga 1:1 and expect it to be made feasibly well.

I understand that. But what i don't understand is how lack of time affects the original interpretation.

Less time for charcteer arc, more time for cat and mouse intrigue and tension would be my guess. Also they probably thought emo loner was easier shorthand to convey motivation in less time to a western audience than the original depiction. Assuming Liight was changed, that is.

Looks fucking hype.

As one of the bigger death note fans from my day, I think it's fine if it's different from a manga. You just can't adapt the manga 1:1 and expect it to be made feasibly well.

Same.. after really getting into the books and subsequently the show, I want more death note but I don't want more 1:1 stuff. I want different interpretations and new variations on it. I like the concept too much to not want more, but I don't want the same thing the same way.

MrBS

The last live action Death Note film got some big laughs from me and was a fun watch. I'm going to approach this movie with the same attitude. I just hope Light isn't portrayed as some kind of tragic hero figure.

I wonder if the movie will stick with the "friendship" between Light and L, since I doubt they'll adapt the "Light loses his memory" section of the manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom