• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Movie Club |OT| Evil Dead 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Welcome to the first ever Netflix Movie Club. The idea came from UFO. Every week, we will watch and discuss a different movie.

Genre of the week: Action/Adventure (week 8)

Movie of the week: Total Recall

Netflix page. Youtube trailer.

Director: Paul Verhoeven

Cast:

Arnold Schwarzenegger
IpXSOwr.jpg

Rachel Ticotin
WR530U5.jpg

Sharon Stone
A5og84Q.jpg

Rules:

• While you are not limited to using Netflix to watch the movie, it should at least be made available through Netflix Instant stream (for those without or outside of US, use Moreflicks to double check if it is up in the US Netflix). For now, I think we will keep it US based (to access US Netflix, use Hola, Unblock/Adfreetime). Might open this up to all regions down the line.
  • Once a movie has won, it can not be nominated again.
  • Please use spoiler tags. Even if you think everyone and their mothers have seen the movie.

How movies are chosen:

• Monday will be the start of the week.
  • Every week will feature a different genre. The genres will be on a rotation basis over the course of a two month period.
  • Posters will either post or PM me their nomination on Mondays and Tuesdays. The movie will be chosen at random and posted on Wednesday morning. Giving everyone 5 days to watch and discuss.

The genres:

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm going to nominate: The Experiment. YT trailer.

In this gripping thriller, a group of men volunteers to take on the roles of guards and inmates at a mock prison as part of a controversial study.

Stars: Adrien Brody and Forest Whitaker. Director: Paul Scheuring.

Gah not on Netflix but I would have nominated my favourite thriller of all time, Zodiac.

edit: So it is, I used the link above to check but only saw itunes and Vudu

lednerg

Been dying to see Zodiac.

EDIT: Since that's already been mentioned, Blue Ruin.

Still going to watch Zodiac at some point, though.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Gah not on Netflix but I would have nominated my favourite thriller of all time, Zodiac.

edit: So it is, I used the link above to check but only saw itunes and Vudu

Uncheck the other options (iTunes, Hulu, etc). Sometimes they mess with the search. If the movie comes up, click the Netflix symbol and it will tell you which regions the movie is available in.

Yeah this is a good idea! I don't watch movies anymore.

Love this idea. Thanks.

UFO came up with it. This should be fun.

jts

...hate me...
Yeah The Experiment sounds good. Never heard of it before tbh. And love me some Brody. For what it's worth, gets my vote. I wouldn't want to vote on something I've already watched anyway (although if ever one of those wins I'll rewatch it for the sake of the discussion, and it will probably be a cool experience as well).

Biggest difference between this and a book club is that movies are so much more accessible, that I'll probably find my self often watching non-winning candidates.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Yeah The Experiment sounds good. Never heard of it before tbh. And love me some Brody. For what it's worth, gets my vote. I wouldn't want to vote on something I've already watched anyway (although if ever one of those wins I'll rewatch it for the sake of the discussion, and it will probably be a cool experience as well).

Biggest difference between this and a book club is that movies are so much more accessible, that I'll probably find my self often watching non-winning candidates.

And the time commitment. A movie will take up no more than 3 hours of your time. Can set aside a night to watch the film. Posts your thoughts the next day.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Guys, there is no "voting." Films will go into a randomizer and picked at random. Will make this less a popularity contest and picking movies you have already seen.

For those posting more than one nomination, I will pick the first one listed.

Rokal

What's the goal in nominations? To try to suggest something that will be new to most people, or to pick something that is high quality for the genre but may be something most Gaffers have already seen?

Zodiac is an excellent recommendation for thrillers, but it also seems like something that wouldn't be new to many people and possibly wouldn't generate as much new discussion.

I nominate Panic Room, either way. I've been meaning to watch it for ages. Plus some of the violence in Zodiac still makes my stomach turn just thinking about it, and I haven't seen the movie since it was in theaters.

Great idea for a thread!

MarkusRJR

Sucks that Canadian Netflix is such shit when it comes to movies (surprisingly awesome with TV shows though). Doubt any nominated films will be available to me. Will still subscribe though so I can see some good movies I probably wouldn't have seen otherwise.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I nominate The Trial directed by Orson Welles for I want to watch it and this will give me a reason to watch it.

How had I not seen that The Trial was there before?! I need to go watch that movie again. I've only seen it on the worst VHS copy ever with several scenes so distorted you couldn't make heads or tails of what's going on.

obin_gam

Sucks that Canadian Netflix is such shit when it comes to movies (surprisingly awesome with TV shows though). Doubt any nominated films will be available to me. Will still subscribe though so I can see some good movies I probably wouldn't have seen otherwise.

Get the ZenMate add-on for Chrome :)

Heel

Are foreign picks okay? If so, I'll nominate Tell No One. I haven't seen it, but it's been sitting in my queue and seems to fit the bill.

Nice call on Manhunter, by the way. I didn't know it was on Netflix. Loved Thief from Mann so I'm sure that's right down my alley.

T-Rex.

Banned
Sounds cool, I'm in. I'll also vote for The Experiment. I've been meaning to watch it for quite some time.

Alright in light of the rules, I vote for Side Effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom