• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Movie Club |OT| Evil Dead 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

Penguin said:
Oh this is fun, I won't nominate because I wanna watch something new but will keep an eye on this thread.

Same. I don't want to nominate something from the list that I've seen. Want to see something good that I haven't, so hopefully that happens here.

Intriguing idea, subbed.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm confused...are we only nominating thrillers for this week? Or just starting a master list of movies in general?

In keeping with the theme of movies I haven't seen, I nominate The French Connection (1971).

Oh boy, I like you.

Nominating only thrillers this week.

This is a great idea and I'm totally in.

After a quick run through the thrillers I figure I'll go with a film I've wanted to see but never really found the time for.

Nomination = A Simple Plan.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Yes. I will double check the nominations on Netflix before I put them into the randomizer.
How are you going to determine genres? If you go by IMDB (which I would recommend doing since movies can fall under more than one genre), the following are not thrillers:

The Trail
I, Frankenstein
Croupier
Jiro Dreams of Sushi

If you take those out plus the movies actually on Netflix US you have left:

Zodiac
Headhunters
The Experiment
Panic Room
Killing Them Softly
The Man From Nowhere
Tell No One
Manhunter
Odd Thomas
Old Boy ('03)
Snowpiecer
The Secret Reunion
Ichi the Killer
Marathon Man
Charade
Side Effects
Fatal Attraction
Seven
Pulp Fiction
Left Behind II: Tribulation Force
I Saw the Devil
Blue Ruin
Kahaani
The Lady Vanishes ('38)
The Debt ('10)
The Awakening
The French Connection
The Machine
Vanilla Sky
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (being added the 16th so might not qualify)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
How are you going to determine genres? If you go by IMDB (which I would recommend doing since movies can fall under more than one genre), the following are not thrillers:

Zodiac
The Trail
I, Frankenstein
Tell No One
Cropier
Ichi the Killer
Left Behind II: Tribulation Force
Charade
The Constant Gardner
The Lady Vanishes
Vanilla Sky

If you take those out plus the movies actually on Netflix US you have left:

Some of those have a wiggle room of being considered thrillers. I mean, as long as it isn't completely off the mark (say Weekend at Bernies), we should be fine. I'm assuming people browsed through the Netflix thriller section when trying to find a movie to pick.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Some of those have a wiggle room of being considered thrillers. I mean, as long as it isn't completely off the mark (say Weekend at Bernies), we should be fine. I'm assuming people browsed through the Netflix thriller section when trying to find a movie to pick.
If you do that too much though you'll have the same movies nominated each week. Using IMDB alleviates you of the responsibility to determine which movie falls under each genre and provides more specific themed weeks. For example, Zodiac could be nominated for genre weeks of crime, drama, and mystery.

Another problem with Netflix's genre labeling is all foreign movies have that label only.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (being added the 16th so might not qualify)

Whoops, didn't realise that sorry. I just followed the moreflicks link and found it on there. I'm from Australia, so I don't have netflix here yet. I'll be going the old DVD rentals for this club.

As far as determining genres, I agree that imdb is probably your best bet.

My vote goes to Oldboy (2003) because there are some traumatic experiences that should be shared with others so that the mental anguish is more evenly distributed.

lednerg

Zodiac

Wait, what? imdb says Zodiac's a thriller and everything I know about it says so, too. (I haven't seen it.)

Vyer

Awesome. Not going to nominate, look forward to the pick.

As an aside, GK, I hope documentaries are added to the category list at some point!

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Why not use the Netflix categories? Their far from perfect but its built in so to speak.
Movies can be considered more than one genre. Having more genres also extends the themes so we don't have thriller again every two months. IMDB has some very specific genres not covered by Netflix, like crime and mystery. Furthermore, all foreign movies are labeled only that.

GK, I hope documentaries are added to the category list at some point!
Me too.

Ridley327

Movies can be considered more than one genre. Having more genres also extends the themes so we don't have thriller again every two months. IMDB has some very specific genres not covered by Netflix, like crime and mystery. Furthermore, all foreign movies are labeled only that.

Only if you stick to just the Foreign Films category. They do show up in genre labels, and you can also any film's more specific genre details by clicking on the film's title. They go a bit further and can even list a film under both Thriller and Foreign Thriller.

tl;dr version: When in doubt, just click on a movie and see what shows up in the Genres box for the final word.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Only if you stick to just the Foreign Films category. They do show up in genre labels, and you can also any film's more specific genre details by clicking on the film's title. They go a bit further and can even list a film under both Thriller and Foreign Thriller.

tl;dr version: When in doubt, just click on a movie and see what shows up in the Genres box for the final word.
That's true. I guess you could just use Netflix, I just prefer IMDB.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Awesome. Not going to nominate, look forward to the pick.

As an aside, GK, I hope documentaries are added to the category list at some point!

I will definitely add Doc's. Probably the same week as Indie/Foreign.

We are still figuring things out as we go along. So if it looks like the Netflix route isn't working, we will go with IMDB. The next "cycle" or whatever you want to call it, we can add more specific genres (Crime, Western, Musical, etc).

Heel

Eh, I don't think genre tags on a website should be the end-all of what can be nominated. Example, I nominated Tell No One which is not tagged as a thriller on IMDB or Netflix, but the box quote calls it "The perfect thriller" and it's based on a thriller novel.

I would just trust the nominees and let GK vet the winner.

lordxar

Yea I'm just thinking that there will be a dispute if x movie is really that category or some crap. At least we'd all be going from the same list. Believe me, some of the movies that end up in the categories they do I don't understand but at least its an even field to pick from.

tchocky

I think the issue with using imdb for the list is people will look at the genre list on imdb find a movie they like and not check to see if it is on Netflix before posting. The genre listings on Netflix can be dumb but at least we know all those films are on Netflix and we are all using the same list.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Eh, I don't think genre tags on a website should be the end-all of what can be nominated. Example, I nominated Tell No One which is not tagged as a thriller on IMDB or Netflix, but the box quote calls it "The perfect thriller" and it's based on a thriller novel.
It's listed as a thriller on IMDB.
Yes, on that site, not IMDB (but it is listed as such on Netflix).
I think the issue with using imdb for the list is people will look at the genre list on imdb find a movie they like and not check to see if it is on Netflix before posting. The genre listings on Netflix can be dumb but at least we know all those films are on Netflix and we are all using the same list.
This is true. Like GK says we're just starting, I just think some sort of genre labeling even if just using the Netflix system is good to have to avoid disputes.

Asbel

I'll nominate the classic Alfred Hitchcock's The Lady Vanishes.

Traveling aboard a transcontinental train, young Iris Henderson (Margaret Lockwood) becomes alarmed when an acquaintance, elderly governess Miss Froy (Dame Mae Whitty), suddenly vanishes. Inexplicably, all the other passengers deny having seen the woman. So Iris turns to her lone ally -- handsome music scholar Gilbert Redman (Michael Redgrave) -- for help. As the two search for clues to Froy's disappearance, they uncloak a sinister plot.

I've been marathoning his TV series and at 20 min episodes, they're also perfect for when you want some quick entertainment. Was going to watch this movie after the series anyway. Hitchcock does suspense so well.

RevDM

Banned
Noticed people are arguing about what source they should be using to find movies. I'd like to suggest

www.instantwatcher.com

Here are some of the top Thrillers, sorted by popularity:

Jack Reacher 2012 PG-13 3.9 61% HD 2:10 | play queue

Side Effects 2013 R 3.6 HD 1:45 | play queue

Parker 2013 R 3.8 41% HD 1:58 | play queue

The Iceman 2013 R 3.8 66% HD 1:45 | play queue

The Raven 2012 R 3.6 23% HD 1:51 | play queue

Deadfall 2012 R 3.6 34% HD 1:34 | play queue

Reservoir Dogs 1992 R 4.0 HD Canada 1:40 | play queue

The Numbers Station 2013 R 3.5 29% HD 1:29 | play queue

Blitz 2011 R 3.6 HD 1:37 | play queue

Zodiac 2007 R 3.6 HD 2:37 | play queue