• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Movie Club |OT| Evil Dead 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
MotW: IP Man

Netflix page. YouTube trailer.

Description:

An occupying Japanese general challenges Chinese men to duels to prove the superiority of the Japanese, but Ip Man refuses to fight -- at first.

Director: Wilson Yip

Cast:

Donnie Yen
2UpOfy4.jpg

Simon Yam
m8F161d.jpg

Ferrio

Banned
Fuck, Ip man... seen it already... i didn't like it. Guess I'll watch again with GF, maybe change my opinion. Yay Chinese propaganda!

Already seen it. It's pretty good, especially a couple of the fight scenes towards the end, but not good enough for me to want to rewatch it at this juncture.

I really want to see Wong Kar-Wai's take on Ip Man in The Grandmaster, but the US Netflix version is the Weinstein butchered cut :-/

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
While I haven't seen IP Man, I have seen Kar Wai Wong's The Grandmaster. Let's see how IP Man differs.

Aiii

So not worth it
I've been meaning to watch IP Man for the longest time, but kept putting it off for other stuff, this will be a good excuse to watch it. I hope I can find the time though, busy week.

Asbel

Already seen it. It's pretty good, especially a couple of the fight scenes towards the end, but not good enough for me to want to rewatch it at this juncture.

I really want to see Wong Kar-Wai's take on Ip Man in The Grandmaster, but the US Netflix version is the Weinstein butchered cut :-/

What are the differences in The Grandmaster cut?

What are the differences in The Grandmaster cut?

The American version was cut from 130 minutes to 108 minutes, explanatory text was added, it cuts out several plot threads to make it more linear and straightforward, on-screen text introducing every new character, some added expository voiceover in addition to the explanatory text, and some post-credits stuff was added about Bruce Lee--which the original cut only hinted at.

The American version honestly sounds like a travesty.

Harvey Weinstein's response to the outrage over it was "who gives a shit?"

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
So, Ip Man... is an interesting movie. I don't get it. There's some broad Chinese patriotism painted very fast and loose. There's never any sense that this is anything other than a stage play and an excuse to have martial arts on the big screen. It's entertaining but it never really does anything. So, it's good but I'm having a hard time saying why I think it's good.

Ferrio

Banned
So, Ip Man... is an interesting movie. I don't get it. There's some broad Chinese patriotism painted very fast and loose. There's never any sense that this is anything other than a stage play and an excuse to have martial arts on the big screen. It's entertaining but it never really does anything. So, it's good but I'm having a hard time saying why I think it's good.

It's pure propaganda through and through (China FUCK YEAH!). It's supposed to based on the real story of his life, so when I was watching it kept nagging me that it felt wrong. Sure enough, look into it and it's almost all bullshit. Which is fine, I'm okay with "based on" stories for the most part, but when it's mission is to spew patriotic bullshit in your face it seems very dishonest.

I plan to watch it again with my GF, curious how my opinion will changes with a second viewing.

Just finished it and I enjoyed it. The story wasn't anything special but it moved along nicely. I thought the fight scenes were well choreographed and shot very well. Overall the cinematography was well done and the score was pretty good too.

But if I had to be a nitpicker...

1) The scene with Ip Man and General Muiro in the holding cell. How are they able to understand each other all of the sudden? It was established neither spoke the other's language.

2) What was the point of the wife being sick for that one scene? I felt like they were going to kill her off due to famine but she magically bounced back. Seemed needless.

And yes, they clearly took a lot of liberties with the script. It doesn't take much to give a movie the "based on a true story" label.

I'd say this was the best movie we've seen so far. Hopefully we get another good one next week!

Also, what was up with the capital F in the subtitles? I'm definitely anal enough to notice it and be distracted repeatedly :p

What device do you use to stream?
Laptop and occasionally phone. I read about stuff like Hola, if that's what you mean to say, but I'm not sure how I feel about getting content I'm technically not allowed to get :p Even if I'm already paying for Netflix here. It's tempting though.

lordxar

Good movie. The fights were badass. What I didn't realize at all was that this was about Bruce Lee's teacher. Thought it was just another action flick.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I watched this movie about a year and a half ago. I loved it when I first saw it, and on the rewatch, I still love it.

The story is great, the actors do a great job and the pace of the film is well done. The star of the show is easily the kung-fu/fighting scenes. They did a phenomenal job with the choreography of the fight scenes. I think each scene is memorable and interesting. I loved watching IP Man take on five plus guys, or fight with a feather duster/bamboo stick. It is insane how fast some of them are.

I honestly don't get the complaints/talk about the Chinese propaganda/patriotism. In my view, it isn't any different from the "America, Fuck Yeah" type of stuff we see in US movies.

lordxar

Too many people get hung up on patriotism being a bad thing. Although a lot of times its because of some bad representation by back woods hicks. I though IP Man was a great pride in country movie without going overboard.

Asbel

Too many people get hung up on patriotism being a bad thing. Although a lot of times its because of some bad representation by back woods hicks. I though IP Man was a great pride in country movie without going overboard.

The problem is that comically evil Japanese guy. The chinese antagonist had more relatable reasons for his crimes.

The usually theme with tribalism (I wanted a more general and neurtral term than patriotism but this may be too negative) is that the failings on the other team are unforgivable while the failings on your team are excusable.

I was surprised I didn't enjoy it as much as I remember because I loved this movie when I watched it a few years ago. The choreography is still top notch though and Donnie Yen is always great. I didn't really mind the patriotism stuff but I feel there isn't really much in this movie beyond the fight scenes which I didn't notice when I first watched it.

obin_gam

So I just saw Ip Man despite my scepticism of the verisons audio.

It was a nice movie. Nice looking fights.

Too bad the gangster character seemed superflous. At first I though that man had become the general, they looked somewhat alike.

lordxar

The problem is that comically evil Japanese guy. The chinese antagonist had more relatable reasons for his crimes.

The usually theme with tribalism (I wanted a more general and neurtral term than patriotism but this may be too negative) is that the failings on the other team are unforgivable while the failings on your team are excusable.

That's why your typical Merica fuck yea movie gets bashed so hard. The enemy is always portrayed as the most evil person out there. The problem isn't that the enemy is a total scumbag, which a lot of times they are, its when their generally just following their own tribal or country pride. Not sure that sentence makes sense or explains what I'm trying to say though. A phrase that comes to mind is he who writes history. Embellishment is common, especially in movies. From what I've read IP himself and some of the things he did were added to. Which is fine in a movie setting. Now if this were a documentary...

jts

...hate me...
Late impressions, really liked the movie. Great actors, great fighting sequences, great humble ultimate badass dude kind of movie.

The story is a bit whack at points (even if based on true events), but that's part of the charm.

Will watch the sequels when I can.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Start nominating Comedy/Romance films. I will probably take a classic route with this one.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
But if I had to be a nitpicker...

1) The scene with Ip Man and General Muiro in the holding cell. How are they able to understand each other all of the sudden? It was established neither spoke the other's language.

2) What was the point of the wife being sick for that one scene? I felt like they were going to kill her off due to famine but she magically bounced back. Seemed needless.

Also, what was up with the capital F in the subtitles? I'm definitely anal enough to notice it and be distracted repeatedly :p
I definitely noticed 1, forgot about 2 and never noticed your spoiler. I did notice at the beginning it shows a space between the 1 and 9 in 1935.

I enjoyed IP Man. I don't mind the patriotism because how how shitty the Japanese were during their occupation. I liked the main actor and his character's reluctance toward violence. Choreography was good, but I wish the last battle would have been more of a fight.

I nominate In Bruges.

Kvik

I like the bit where Ip's kid was pedalling his tricycle in the middle of the fight to tell him that his wife wants him to right his opponent for real to avoid further damage to their living room furniture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom