• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Movie Club |OT| Evil Dead 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordxar

Honestly this is probably the best movie we've watched so far. I didn't mind the pace and the music was a tad odd but overall I really enjoyed it. I don't normally watch stuff like this so it was a nice change of pace. The scenery was awesome and I can definitely see why people want to spend a couple months out there.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Guess I'll get the ball rolling on this one...

The Way overall I felt was a light, fluffy sort of film. The story and characters left a whole lot to be desired. I also think 2 hours was way too long for this film and it really was kind of boring. There was nothing really captivating to hold my interest. For the most part I thought the acting was mediocre and the soundtrack was pretty bland.

However, I don't think this is a bad movie by any stretch. It could have been a lot better with some good direction and good writing, but as this movie was done entirely by Emilio Estevez I wasn't expecting to be blown away. I could really see this being a much better movie just by starting with a better script as I really liked the premise behind the movie.

Probably the best thing I took away from this movie was I really need to backpack across Europe like I've always wanted to. I've been across Asia a few years back, but this movie really inspired me to get into gear and plan a Eurotrip.
I've felt like backpacking since seeing Wild. I couldn't help but compare the movie to Wild, which is a much better. The stories of the other three companions together were not as captivating as Witherspoon's character. Also, for a 600km long walk, they seemed a little too well rested, even when considering all the rest stops and better weather conditioned compared to Wild. Witherspoon had way more trouble with getting wet compared to when Martin dropped his bag in the river (which was a stupid addition). It had no noticeable effect on him. Furthermore, he's told because he's not prepared it will take him extra long, but he manages to keep up with adults 20 years his junior with no problem. You could argue it's due to his drive, but for a dude with no experience I think that's a cop-out.
As for the story, I enjoyed it. The premise of the film is great, but the writing kinda held it down. Some of the dialogue seems forced at times. The movie was kinda long though. I thought they could have trimmed it by half an hour.
When I went to check how much time was left near the end I was happy to see I only had 15 minutes left.

The Way was alright. I think it did a poor job incorporating the cultural aspects in. I would have much preferred that than all three companions. The one strong instance it did happen with the gypsies seemed to fall back on stereotypes. I also didn't feel the flashes of his son fit: that seems to occur in places with people you were accustom to seeing, not in a foreign land with an activity you've never experienced before.

Asbel

I agree with everyone thinking that this movie could have been so much better in so many ways. We could of had great cinematography, but there were hardly any beautiful scenes. We could of had a great character driven movie, instead we got forced checkbox plot points. Neither the writing nor the acting sold the scenes as being natural. Why didn't we see Sheen grieve? I guess everyone grieves differently but guy loses his only son and doesn't break down? That would have been a powerful, natural scene.

I agree with everyone thinking that this movie could have been so much better in so many ways. We could of had great cinematography, but there were hardly any beautiful scenes. We could of had a great character driven movie, instead we got forced checkbox plot points. Neither the writing nor the acting sold the scenes as being natural. Why didn't we see Sheen grieve? I guess everyone grieves differently but guy loses his only son and doesn't break down? That would have been a powerful, natural scene.

I really thought for the most part Martin looked like he didn't give a shit about his son dying. I get his character bottles his emotions but he just seemed so indifferent throughout the course of the movie.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
For horror: I nominate Rosemary's Baby (1968).

The Way was a okay movie I just thought the character development was weak in the movie. Not sure what Horror movie to recommend sort of want to say Night Breed because the trailer looked hilarious but it doesn't look like a good movie.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Posting a bit earlier than I mentioned.

MotW: Bram Stoker's Dracula

Netflix page. Youtube trailer.

Description:

When Dracula heads to London in search of a woman who looks like his long-dead wife, vampire hunter Dr. Van Helsing sets out to end the madness.

Director: Francis Ford Coppola

Cast:

Gary Oldman
AhKWZNw.jpg

Winona Ryder
6R5vKer.jpg

Anthony Hopkins
RX6qN7D.jpg

Keanu Reeves
GkYhJuS.jpg

I have only ever heard of the movie. Never even knew who was in it. Impressive cast. From the trailer, it looks really good.

tchocky

Description:

Cast:

I have only ever heard of the movie. Never even knew who was in it. Impressive cast. From the trailer, it looks really good.

Looking forward to watching this again for the first time in nearly a decade. I think it is interesting that it was Winona Ryder who pitched the movie to Coppola to apologise for pulling out of Godfather Part III.

CornDogg

Description:

Cast:

Been a while since I watched it, but I remember Keanu's accent being absolutely awful and Gary Oldman being his typically awesome self.

Interesting movie mostly because up until now I haven't seen the original version of Dracula or vampires only adaptations like Blade, Van Helsing, and Castlevania. The movie itself was different then what I expected because the movie was more like a fantasy movie than horror.
The beginning of the movie had the most horror elements but nothing throughout the movie was scary so everything felt like fantasy instead. Also Keanu's character motivations for leaving his room were strange especially after he saw? (I am assuming) Dracula crawling on the castle wall. I did really like the castle design though unfortunately the castle is only in like 20 minutes of the movie and admittedly I was disappointed when the movie transition from the castle to London. I did get confused when Dracula went to London because I didn't know what powers the original Dracula had so some the scenes I didn't understand immediately but Van Helsing explained Dracula powers later on in the movie.
Even though the movie was different then what I expected and there were some things I didn't like but I still found the movie enjoyable.

Watch the Legend of the fist: The return of Chen Zhen on netflix with Donnie Yen, some of the action sequences are amazing! Also IP Man The Legend is Born is amazing as well even if its not donnie yen, the actor they got was perfect!
Forgot to reply to your post I watch Legend of the Fist and it was really good thank you for the recommendation.

I don't particularly care for this movie. The firs 20 or so minutes are great in the castle. The stuff they do with shadows is great. Everything after that kind of sucks. Keanu's accent is hilarious though.

jett

D-Member
This movie is great if only for the beautiful set production, photography, costume design and 100% in-camera visual effects. And Gary Oldman chews threw the scenery like a pro.

Keanu Reeves as Jonathan Harker though is a hilarious miscasting and a blunder of Sofia Coppola-in-GF3 proportions.

tchocky

This movie is great if only for the beautiful set production, photography, costume design and 100% in-camera visual effects. And Gary Oldman chews threw the scenery like a pro.

Keanu Reeves as Jonathan Harker though is a hilarious miscasting and a blunder of Sofia Coppola-in-GF3 proportions.

I think it's hilarious Coppola admitted he cast him for his good looks because it's a crappy part.

lordxar

I keep trying to remember this movie but Interview with a Vampire keeps creeping in...can't wait until I have time this weekend.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I was actually disappointed. I don't know why I haven't seen this movie until now. I've always wanted to but never really made it happen.

I can't help but compare it to Sleepy Hollow (both have Francis Ford Coppola's involvement, so why not). Pale american actor with dark hair and a stupid accent arrives in a stage coach and investigates something. They both have an interesting actor playing a supernatural bad guy, Walken vs. Oldman. There's mystery and they both end in a poorly acted and directed action set-piece.

The sets just seemed so cheap. Like if someone took a Star Trek backdrop and midway through production increased the budget. The art direction is all over the place and you never get a sense of the whole picture.

The acting is all over the place and it almost feels like they never had a coherent script. People do all sorts of stupid stuff for no reason. I just feel like this was a missed oppertunity. A chance to do something great but they settled on mediocrity.

Still really want to read Bram Stoker's book, though.

Looks like I'll be in the minority who enjoyed this movie despite it's missteps. It's been a long time since I read Dracula, but for the most part I believe they stayed pretty close to the source material. All that was added to the plot was romance, which I thought gives a bit of depth to Dracula. The ending was drastically changed too, not sure how I felt about Mina becoming Dracula's minion and what not but I don't think it really harmed the overall film.

Of course, the film plays out like you would expect from a Coppola flick. The costumes and visuals were well done for the most part. A lot of it looks like it was shot on a sound stage which is kind of unfortunate, some decent location scouting could have helped it look a whole lot better. I also thought the music was well done and helped to build tension.

And I'm going to take a lot of shit for this one, but I actually think Keanu's terrible acting kind of works. The book is a bit of a dry read so his dumb, monotone delivery really doesn't feel out of place.

I'm giving it a 4 stars. It could have been a lot better, but I thought Coppola made a pretty good gothic film.

Lastly, young Gary Oldman looks eerily like my dad. Watching him make his O face for 2 minutes made me pretty fuckin uncomfortable.

It's a fun, whacky movie that could have been much, much better, but the central romance plotline drags it down, and quite a few roles were miscast (notably Keanu and Winona). Still, it's worth a watch just for the amazing production design, cinematography, and Gary Oldman hamming it up.

tumblr_lsz7u5issT1ql36n4o1_400.gif

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Half of me enjoyed it, the other half hated it. The first 30 minutes of the film were great. The castle was creepy, as was Dracula. Then they leave the castle and it goes downhill for me. The Lucy stuff kind of brought the movie down. I thought Dracula wasn't as great during this part of the film either.

What I loved were the costumes and (some of) the acting. Ryder was good and I enjoyed Keeves horrible accent. What I didn't like were the images of people/whatever that would pop up whenever people were talking. It looked like a bad music video.

Towards the end it got interesting after Dracula turned Mina into a vampire/slave. Although, I thought the final battle could have been better.

Overall, I was disappointed. Lots of wasted potential. They should have kept Dracula "old" since he was far more menacing that way. Probably my biggest gripe with the film.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Next up, classics/cult.

Edit - Next werk, Monday, I will make a new thread. As well as add more genres. So we can also discuss which genres should be added (or removed) for the next round. Also, if someone wants to take control over the next thread, I wouldn't opposed to it.

I'm not too sure about what we could add as having 8 separate categories really makes for a nice turnover every 2 months. Maybe split up indie and foreign. Then add music/musicals, documentaries and one other?

I'll nominate The Hustler (1961)

Next up, classics/cult.

Edit - Next werk, Monday, I will make a new thread. As well as add more genres. So we can also discuss which genres should be added (or removed) for the next round. Also, if someone wants to take control over the next thread, I wouldn't opposed to it.

Evil dead is still on netflix? If so that is my vote

I always thought Coppola's Dracula worked best as a black comedy. When Van Helsing first tells the three suitors that the supernatural my be involved with Lucy's illness his descriptions are pretty insulting, but offscreen you can subtly hear Dracula growling before a giant bat flies through the frame and disappears. That's probably the closest the movie comes to being true to Stoker's novel. Dracula was never a big part of the book; it was his presence and the feeling that he was probably watching the characters that created suspense.

If anyone is interested most of the film's bonus features were uploaded to youtube and are worth a watch. Seeing how everything was filmed on a set and the effects done in camera is remarkable. There's also a decent behind the scenes footage of Oldman and Coppola arguing. It's weird to see Gary in full makeup speaking with his regular quiet voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom