• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEW Assassin's Creed 3 screenshots

Pollux

Yep, it sounds like it's the "main" city of the game, although NY also plays a major role.

I am going to have so much fun finding the old British state house and then based on that trying to figure out where my apartment currently is.

It probably won't work, but damn it, i'm going to try.

Alt costume if you preorder at gamestop. (Euro)

AC3_preorder._SX700_.jpg
That looks pretty cool.

SomeDude

Banned
As expected, the city looks pretty bad compared to all other AC cities to date. That's Revolutionary War-era America for you, lame cities indeed.

I really need to see exactly how they'll spice up the traveling around gameplay in the "in between" parts, which they have said they've worked hard to do, in order to know if the trade off was worth it.

Colonial american cities are about as rudimentary as things can get.

They had to find a balance between iconic and new setting, I think they did about as well as they could. It wouldn't be Assassins Creed if he didn't look like that.

AC3_preorder._SX700_.jpg

This should be the default design, I don't think anyone would have a problem with that and I really don't think it would hurt brand recognition.

EDIT :

Yeah, Ezio totally blended into the crowd.

He might have been the only one wearing a hood, but that type of costume existed in that period so it looks natural in the environment.

This. Ruins it for me.

They've always kind of stood out. You're usually covered with knives and wearing a giant metal symbol of your order right over your stomach. Assassins never seemed to master subtlety.

That said, I fully support the tricorn approach, but I like Connor's default getup well enough.

Yeah, Ezio totally blended into the crowd.

Problem is the assassins in this series have always stuck out like sore thumbs. It's like people depicting ninjas wearing a "ninja uniform" - it's silly. All of these assasins have the stupid peaked hood that marks them all as assassins. How they manage to sneak up on anyone in that get-up is a total mystery to me.

Problem is the assassins in this series have always stuck out like sore thumbs. It's like people depicting ninjas wearing a "ninja uniform" - it's silly. All of these assasins have the stupid peaked hood that marks them all as assassins. How they manage to sneak up on anyone in that get-up is a total mystery to me.

Agreed, but adding anachronistic to that is kind of the final straw for me.

I had a history teacher who plays the AC games and he was telling me about how assassins during Altair era were usually just drugged up crazy people who were tricked into haphazardly murdering someone because some important looking dude told them it was what God wanted.

Not sure if that's true, but it would be a hilarious twist for the series.

Edit: How is Connor's outfit anachronistic? I mean, yeah it sticks out, but it totally fits with the lore of the AC games. I'll agree that no one looked like that during 18th century america, but I don't see how that's a bigger problem than, say, half the shit Da Vinci was pulling off in Brotherhood.

I had a history teacher who plays the AC games and he was telling me about how assassins during Altair era were usually just drugged up crazy people who were tricked into haphazardly murdering someone because some important looking dude told them it was what God wanted.

In the very least, an assassin would want to walk around looking like he "belonged". The cowl and the knives and the insignia make them look out of place wherever they go. Rule of cool, I know, but it doesn't make me feel like an assassin. Makes me feel like a Power Ranger, or something.

It's like having Dark Brotherhood uniforms in Skyrim. Why am I able to just walk down the street in this get-up without being arrested?

In the very least, an assassin would want to walk around looking like he "belonged". The cowl and the knives and the insignia make them look out of place wherever they go. Rule of cool, I know, but it doesn't make me feel like an assassin. Makes me feel like a Power Ranger, or something.

It's like having Dark Brotherhood uniforms in Skyrim. Why am I able to just walk down the street in this get-up without being arrested?

Here's my theory:

You know the classic, "If I can't see them, they can't see me?" motto? Well, have you noticed that all the assassins cover their eyes? They've actually utilized that technique and mastered it with the aid of super out of place hoods.

Kinyou

Well I don't know about the details, but it's said that the word Assassin derives of the word "Ḥashshāshīn" which basically means "users of hashish" , though apparently is none of that proven. The english Wikipedia also has an entirely different explanation:
However Amin Malouf states that "The truth is different. According to texts that have come down to us from Alamut, Hassan-i Sabbah liked to call his disciples Asasiyun, meaning people who are faithful to the Asās, meaning 'foundation' of the faith. This is the word, misunderstood by foreign travelers, that seemed similar to 'hashish'".

So I guess we'll never really know for sure.

Here's my theory:

You know the classic, "If I can't see them, they can't see me?" motto? Well, have you noticed that all the assassins cover their eyes? They've actually utilized that technique and mastered it with the aid of super out of place hoods.

I think you're on to something...

Caelus

Perhaps the redcoats and colonists could just assume the hood and cloak are just some weird Native-American getup? Native-Americans during the time carried a lot of items around them, so does Connor.

So I guess we'll never really know for sure.

What's interesting is that Al-Mualim in the first game refers to the Assassin's as "Asasiyuns", even pronouncing it that way.

Zeliard

People have no problems with a half-Mohawk, half-English assassin leaping through trees like a monkey during the Revolutionary War, killing Templars, chatting up George Washington and Charles Lee, and being vicariously re-lived as a genetic memory through VR by a modern-day assassin-in-training and bloodline descendant - but the hood, man, that's just going way too far.

Amir0x

Banned
People have no problems with a half-Mohawk, half-English assassin leaping through trees like a monkey during the Revolutionary War, killing Templars, chatting up George Washington and Charles Lee, and being vicariously re-lived as a genetic memory through VR by a modern-day assassin-in-training and bloodline descendant - but the hood, man, that's just going way too far.

This has always been the weakest of any argument against such complaints. As with any concept, it's not about how foreign a concept is to OUR world - it's about how a concept may fit within the world a game has presented.

The Assassin's Creed game is set up to feed players the idea of living out your ancestors past. The game world is set up to convince us that such ancestors would be interacting with key players in history - after all, such imposing and important historical figures met up with all sorts of people, and we don't know half of them. It is not, however, set up to make it convincing that someone can be called an assassin in these worlds and walk around with eighteen tons of weaponry and the most ostentatious outfit around. The game sets up all these elements to suggest we're supposed to be sneaky assassins (hiding in crowds, in bushes, in wells, etc), but simply fails to make the next leap to make the protagonist similarly stealthy in his outward appearance.

And most people complaining about it are just doing it as a point of discussion, it's hardly worthy of dismissing the title and not one of them has as far as I can tell. It's just amusing and worthy of an overhaul at this point.

JdFoX187

Banned

It's funny because it's true.

Yea really. People need to understand they aren't going to abandoned the characters only iconic design, especially going to a new place/era you need to reconfirm to people that it's still Assassins Creed. Even if the insanely talented costume designers wanted to change it up, the higher ups would need at least one costume as a base for marketing. Thus you see additional costumes that are more complacent with the world (as additions/dlc). So sweating over this is pointless because you'll probably just get in the game and change it in 5 minutes.

MattDoza

It looks like he's still wearing the hood under that hat. It's awful. And the rest of the outfit just looks like a color swap from his white coat. It's hardly a change. If there were to be a change or alternative, I'd prefer a more Native American inspired look.

MattDoza

This is the one you want, MattDoza. I think it's a good middle ground between being just totally out of place and still keeping some of the iconic features.

I'm totally cool with the original design, and prefer it. But that one is also very cool. I missed that one, must have been on the previous page.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Um why isn't that the default costume? It looks WAY more appropriate for the setting than the one they're using.

That hat is terrible.

So is the jacket.

And those boots.

All of them are horribly over-designed. The assassins are starting to look like Final Fantasy characters with the ridiculous number of belts, layers and buckles.

joshwaan

Wow Ass 3 is looking fantastic love the first screen :)

I've not played through 2 or any others at this point but I think I will for sure to get used of the series.

I'm going to proberly get this on Xbox 360 and Wii U if it is worth the upgrade.

Also LMFAO :p

GJAcc.jpg

Thanks for posting this Caj814 not laughed like this in years hehe :p

Zeliard

This has always been the weakest of any argument against such complaints. As with any concept, it's not about how foreign a concept is to OUR world - it's about how a concept may fit within the world a game has presented.

The Assassin's Creed game is set up to feed players the idea of living out your ancestors past. The game world is set up to convince us that such ancestors would be interacting with key players in history - after all, such imposing and important historical figures met up with all sorts of people, and we don't know half of them. It is not, however, set up to make it convincing that someone can be called an assassin in these worlds and walk around with eighteen tons of weaponry and the most ostentatious outfit around. The game sets up all these elements to suggest we're supposed to be sneaky assassins (hiding in crowds, in bushes, in wells, etc), but simply fails to make the next leap to make the protagonist similarly stealthy in his outward appearance.

But the games have ALWAYS done this. You've always looked hilariously conspicuous wandering around, climbing on top of roofs and parkouring all over the place when almost everyone else is plodding along down below.

The most they ever really did was have you visually "blend in" with that crowd mechanic when you're trying to be incognito, which they do by de-saturating the color, and that's about the extent of it. The AC2 games had various colors for your outfits for people who want to change their basic look, for any reason, and this one is likely to do the same.

But you have never truly blended in. You walk around looking like the most obvious assassin in the world. You're decked out in weapons, with a cowl over your head, running around everywhere like an absurdly physically gifted athlete, and you generally just look menacing and up to no good. And the games have never been too much about stealth, anyway. They have a couple stealth mechanics but you're generally fighting guards out on the open streets with onlookers gaping at you, and the most it generally involves is parkouring out of dodge if it gets too hot and getting involved in rooftop chases.

But typically you don't even have to do that, since you can just murder everyone with ease and then just walk away, and guards reset. They introduced a mechanic in Brotherhood that has you calling your assassin buddies - who greatly resemble you - to leap into the fight in full view of everyone and just wipe fools out. This isn't Thief we're talking about here. :p

Grymm

Banned
This looks amazing. Assassins Creed is easily the best new series to come out of this gen and this looks like the best one yet.

But the games have ALWAYS done this.

Yeah.

At the same time, they always say that suspension of disbelief is in the eye of the beholder. These costumes are equally ridiculous in every AC era, but people feel like they stand out more in Revolutionary America because they have a much stronger image in their mind of what is and isn't acceptable in that period. I think Ubisoft was 100% right to not care about that objection, but I do get a bit of why it comes up.

Irish

Here are some interesting quotes from a Q&A session with Alex Hutchinson:

• How are you making combat a real challenge?

The core for us is a redesign of the health system, so that instead
of having health units and needing to heal after combat, you now have a regenerating health system which means you can’t regain health during combat – you need to escape and rest.
We also built brand new archetypes and enemy behaviours, and redesigned the player strategy to push players to use all the different buttons on the controller and all of Connor’s moves from counters, to offensive moves, to tools like pistols and throwing knives.

Seems you won't be medicating yourself during battle now (even if it was never really necessary in the first place). I wonder if they took medicine out completely then.

• Stealth is more important than ever, what are Connor’s abilities that enable him to become the ultimate predator thanks to stealth?

We have a lot of new stealth features which are a lot of fun. You can now take cover against walls, and Connor will automatically adjust to hide when a guard approaches, which also leads into a new assassination move from cover. We also added the ability for Connor to hide in tall grass or bushes: if you walk through these areas he will automatically crouch allowing you to move undetected when approaching enemies. And if you’re in a city and you see any group of people in the crowd performing an action like painting a house or cleaning, if you approach slowly Connor will begin mimicking their actions to hide amongst them.

I didn't bold any bits here because I thought they were all important. I like the sound of the new blending mechanics. Certainly seems to be more options than just standing still in the middle of a crowd or hiding in a haystack. Also, crouch!

• With a scope this huge and a world this big, how are you keeping things fresh throughout the experience?

This is by far the biggest Assassin’s Creed game yet, and we have several full systems we haven’t yet announced. Between the two new cities in Boston and New York, the Frontier as a map that’s 1.5 times the size of Rome in Brotherhood, and the modifying effects of weather in all areas, the playable space is vast.

We’ve also added various new mission delivery systems like the Clubs, and allowed players to layer their experience: you can now have more than one active mission at a time, and more than one task on your plate, so people will be more in control of how they play their game.
Add to that the fact that we’re investing more on mission variety and custom mission events than ever before in a story that takes place over 30 years, and you have a vast experience. We can’t wait to get it into people’s hands.

I hope this is implemented well. It would be nice to be able to finish up all kinds of different side missions while you are in the area instead of having to run back and forth to pick up quests and return to the same spot you were originally in.

• Since Connor is native to the Frontier but an outsider in the cities, how does this impact Navigation? What is this new climbing system?

As I said our goal was to create a character who is as capable in the wilderness as previous Assassins were in city environments. Our goal was to completely rebuild the climbing system from the ground up, not just with completely new animations, but also with brand new functionality. Connor can move through complex branch and tree formations easily, and can pause at any time to assassinate targets from above. He can climb cliffs and uneven stone surfaces using new moves we patterned on real world climbing techniques, allowing us to build natural landmarks to work alongside the city landmarks in the game.

He can also free run and climb on moving surfaces for the first time, so expect windmills, moving logs and more which allows us to create fresh puzzles and challenges for the player.

This is mainly old stuff, but this was somewhat new. We knew that stuff like wagons and stuff would be incorporated, but this gives us some insight into just what other movable surfaces there will be.

A lot of it was recycled information, but there were a few new tidbits.

UrbanRats

And if you’re in a city and you see any group of people in the crowd performing an action like painting a house or cleaning, if you approach slowly Connor will begin mimicking their actions to hide amongst them.
This will be hilarious to see.

Top Bottom