• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Batman Arkham Origins screens reveal Barbara Gordon

How can anything really be judged from a single screenshot in which the character appears to be in motion, which creates an awkward angle/expression?

I don't have a horse in this race; I give two shits about this game or the character, but this got brought up elsewhere and I am genuinely baffled at the vehement reactions and judgments.

sakipon

In the gaming side we have a thread for pointing out how a fat, unattractive woman character dares to ruin the views. And in the OT we have a thread for wondering why female users are not enjoying GAF. Well done, guys.

Raziel

In both Gaming and OT side we have people that misread and fail to gauge the overarching arguments on one or both sides, and knee jerk an unfounded summation of the thread, to be cool and ironic.

Pau

Yeah I did miss it, but you're a bit all over the place now. First you wondered about the point to posting things on a forum, then you asked about it's worth and what that means, now you're linking a thread in another sub-forum that I supposed is tangentially related. What is your question, now?
No, he wondered at the point of posting about how unattractive a female character is and then linked you to a thread were people were talking about how this very thing drags down the quality of discussion on GAF.

Raziel

No, he wondered at the point of posting about how unattractive a female character is and then linked you to a thread were people were talking about how this very thing drags down the quality of discussion on GAF.

No, what? Posting opinions about video games is a valid thing to do on this forum. The thread he linked doesn't change that in any way.

Would you say it drags the quality of discussion down more or less than every other poster saying "what is the point of this discussion and why are you people talking about things"?

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
I feel it's mostly a bad shot. It sucks that in her reveal she's framed as pouty and practically child-like what with the scolding Gordon is giving her. Hopefully that doesn't translate too much into the game.

Pau

No, what? Posting opinions about video games is a valid thing to do on this forum. The thread he linked doesn't change that in any way.
Well, considering that this a moderated forum, I think you'd find that not all opinions are valid. :p But anyways, not saying that such comments should be banned, but the point of that thread is that this Would/Would Not reaction to any time the image of a woman appears on GAF is getting pretty old.

Would you say it drags the quality of discussion down more or less than every other poster saying "what is the point of this discussion and why are you people talking about things"?
Well, it sounds more like people are asking why people feel the need for every female character to be sexually attractive and what the point of that is.

Karkador

Banned
Yeah I did miss it, but you're a bit all over the place now. First you wondered about the point to posting things on a forum, then you asked about it's worth and what that means, now you're linking a thread in another sub-forum that I suppose is tangentially related? What is your question, now?

My oriiginal question was about the point in criticizing the attractiveness of a female game character in a game.

Let me walk you through what actually happened so you don't get too ahead of yourself.

1)

What exactly is the problem with having a character that isn't good looking?

In the first post, AdventureRacing asked what the problem with having a character that isn't good-looking (we will reasonably assume this meant "not attractive").

2)

Nothing at all. What's the problem with pointing out that the character isn't good looking?

In response, akidnamededdy reassures that there's nothing wrong with having an unattractive character. He then seems to state, as a rhetorical question*, that the problem is with pointing out that the character isn't good looking.

When someone states that there is nothing wrong with A, and then go on to say something along the lines of "it's okay to question A", as if there's something wrong with it, that's called a contradiction, which is when two points conflict in meaning and intent.

*A 'rhetorical question' is when someone frames an argument, often meant to be persuasive, as a question

3)

More like, what's the point?

So that's when I ask akidnamededdy what the point in asking that question (reminder: "What's wrong with pointing out that the character isn't good looking?" when he already seemed to assert, in his previous sentence (reminder: "Nothing at all." (reminder, in response to: "What's wrong with a character that isn't good-looking?")) that there wasn't anything wrong with a character that wasn't good-looking. So again, I ask, what's the point? (hint: there's either none, or he was being insincere*)

* not expressing genuine feelings.

I feel it's mostly a bad shot. It sucks that in her reveal she's framed as pouty and practically child-like what with the scolding Gordon is giving her. Hopefully that doesn't translate too much into the game.

this to the power of wow, so many assumptions made on one poor angle.

G-Fex

this to the power of wow, so many assumptions made on one poor angle.

Her personality sucks too and frankly I'm repulsed by her smell.
3SoHO2U.png

Chariot

*In LeMaximillian's voice* WHAT'S WRONG WITH HER FACE!? D:

Seriously, though, that shot looks like something out of a sitcom. :p
Seriously I would like to see a sitcom version of batman, where the same stuff happens, but with laughs and the same lame slapstick jokes sitcoms usually have. Also we need Neil Patrick Harris as the Music Meister.

I can't tell if you agree or disagree. We are made to assume things by these shots, unfortunately.

I agree with what you posted a bit up, while Karkador was explaining life, the universe, and everything. I just feel like this is a really dumb screenshot to make any real judgment on. It might be that she will look weird in the game. Might be not. Results inconclusive to my eye due to situation in screenshot.

And then elsewhere, obviously, she's a fat cow destroying all that is good and holy, but that's a whole other kettle and I'm already fighting that one elsewhere.

Eusis

Well it IS UE3, so humans that aren't bald or have extremely short hair are sort of a crap shot in general. Just look at ME, the aliens invariably come out better than the humans.

Raziel

Well, considering that this a moderated forum, I think you'd find that not all opinions are valid. :p But anyways, not saying that such comments should be banned, but the point of that thread is that this Would/Would Not reaction to any time the image of a woman appears on GAF is getting pretty old.

Except, as I said earlier, there's a segment of opinions here, that think the male characters *and* the sexed up female characters in past and current games in this series look bad, simply on the basis of bad art. Are some people fine with how the characters look? Yes. Do some people think this character simply looks ugly? Yes. Like you said though, that's nothing that warrants any kind of mod action. The point is not everyone is singling out this character - again, some think ALL characters in this game comprise a poor art style - and these opinions are largely being ignored and lazily lumped in with or labeled as "would/would not" to feed an agenda. Context is important.

My oriiginal question was about the point in criticizing the attractiveness of a female game character in a game.

Let me walk you through what actually happened so you don't get too ahead of yourself.

1)

In the first post, AdventureRacing asked what the problem with having a character that isn't good-looking (we will reasonably assume this meant "not attractive").

2)

In response, akidnamededdy reassures that there's nothing wrong with having an unattractive character. He then seems to state, as a rhetorical question*, that the problem is with pointing out that the character isn't good looking.

When someone states that there is nothing wrong with A, and then go on to say something along the lines of "it's okay to question A", as if there's something wrong with it, that's called a contradiction, which is when two points conflict in meaning and intent.

*A 'rhetorical question' is when someone frames an argument, often meant to be persuasive, as a question

3)

So that's when I ask akidnamededdy what the point in asking that question (reminder: "What's wrong with pointing out that the character isn't good looking?" when he already seemed to assert, in his previous sentence (reminder: "Nothing at all." (reminder, in response to: "What's wrong with a character that isn't good-looking?")) that there wasn't anything wrong with a character that wasn't good-looking. So again, I ask, what's the point? (hint: there's either none, or he was being insincere*)

* not expressing genuine feelings.
I'd point out a number of gaffes I think you made in interpreting akidnamededdy's posts; like for instance, I didn't get any sense that his question you thought was rhetorical was in fact rhetorical; and stating a character is ugly need not necessarily mean one is questioning it so much as simply stating what they see (as far I can see, akidnamededdy did just that); and then no resultant contradiction existing; and any number of little erroneous follow-up assumptions and conclusions that spill out from there, on your part; but I'd just as soon let akidnamededdy hash that out further if necessary. I answered the questions you asked, and my answers seemed semi-satisfactory in that I didn't really get a hard objection to any of them, and then was linked to another thread without any commentary or inquiry. If you feel I misinterpreted the context of any of your questions, I'd suggest having another go at akidnamededdy's posts.

Pau

Except, as I said earlier, there's a segment of opinions here, that think the male characters *and* the sexed up female characters in past and current games in this series look bad, simply on the basis of bad art. Are some people fine with how the characters look? Yes. Do some people think this character simply looks ugly? Yes. Like you said though, that's nothing that warrants any kind of mod action. The point is not everyone is singling out this character - again, some think ALL characters in this game comprise a poor art style - and these opinions are largely being ignored and lazily lumped in with or labeled as "would/would not" to feed an agenda. Context is important.
I don't know if I'd agree that those opinions are being ignored. No one is saying that everyone in this thread is posting the equivalent of would/would not. Just that the posts that do fall into that are just kind of like... really now?

And I'd agree that the Arkham games tend to just have bad character designs that fall into a weird uncanny valley.

Top Bottom