• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Crackdown 3 screenshot

Canadian

I really enjoyed the original Crackdown when it came out. 2 I felt was just a rehash with zombies and was dissapointed. I'm hoping they make a fun game, at the very least it'll be a new crackdown game in a new city.

As Jinx mentioned above, their were 4 different teams working on it but each team had a specific task and each team was pretty small on their own. Probably had cohesion issues with the way they did it.

I think it is a shame as well because I figured Crackdown 3 would come back in a big way after being absent for 4+ years.

For sure man. For starters I was really expecting the graphics from that very first trailer to be how it would look ingame. Well that's far from what is going on here.

Still though, who knows. Maybe it'll be worth buying. I really want to see that MP now though.

For sure man. For starters I was really expecting the graphics from that very first trailer to be how it would look ingame. Well that's far from what is going on here.

Still though, who knows. Maybe it'll be worth buying. I really want to see that MP now though.
Agreed. It may not be the big exclusive to start a turnaround of sorts for MS but hey, it may be a solid title to buy this fall.

JlNX

The difference between the cloud demos graphics and the ones you see now is majoritively the geometry, the multiplayer will still have to have that geometry. The world is built like that not due to artstyle but due to how they have to be built to work in a 100% physics destruction based world. So in terms of geometry it is very likely the multiplayer will look the same as the first trailer. But in terms of the textures, lighting or overall art direction that could have changed.

Agreed. It may not be the big exclusive to start a turnaround of sorts for MS but hey, it may be a solid title to buy this fall.

I think this is likely the case. It won't do anything amazing for Xbox or MS as a whole, but I can see it being one of the most fun games of the year.

Four studios

Cloudgine - developing cloud technology
Reagent - director of the project (Dave Jones creator of Crackdown)
Ruffian - Multiplayer
Sumo - Single player

I get it now!

Each studio is working on a different target render of the game and that is why we can't get a good sense of the art direction!!

I hope, lol

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The original crackdown was going for a frank miller art style

GUYRUSTY_002.jpg

80f9cc68e5896e1486f5a99f621f5cf1--geof-darrow-comic-covers.jpg

...but ultimately it wasn't achievable. You will see some early similarities in the color pallets used in frank miller art.

Quick correction: that's not Miller, but Geof Darrow. Frank Miller's style is quite different:

That's classic Miller, back when he was at his prime. Don't bother with the newer stuff.

I'm gonna say it right now. The destruction that was shown a couple of years ago won't be in the game , why? because if it was a major selling point of the game they would've shown it off during E3. At least to some extent, yet, they didn't.

They must've realized the difficulty to make gameplay work well with such a thing heck even networking that amount of data (which is not animated destruction like BF or Motorstorm Apocalypse) ends up being way more troublesome than it's worth.

So no, there won't be any skyscrapers falling onto other skyscrapers in the game. That said, there might be other destruction but I don't believe for a second that it'll be at the scale the showed during 2015.

derFeef

Plasma

Banned
I think it does. That youtube videos super low bitrate turns a pretty vibrate game into a washed out blocky mess.

https://news.xbox.com/wp-content/uploads/Crackdown-3-1080p-B_Roll.mp4

The B roll looks like the new screenshot without the terrible resize that making it look like they went overkill on the sharpening.

I don't think this game was ever going to win an award for best graphics but it does look a lot sharper in that video than some of the others I've seen.

element

I'm gonna say it right now. The destruction that was shown a couple of years ago won't be in the game , why? because if it was a major selling point of the game they would've shown it off during E3. At least to some extent, yet, they didn't.

They must've realized the difficulty to make gameplay work well with such a thing heck even networking that amount of data (which is not animated destruction like BF or Motorstorm Apocalypse) ends up being way more troublesome than it's worth.

So no, there won't be any skyscrapers falling onto other skyscrapers in the game. That said, there might be other destruction but I don't believe for a second that it'll be at the scale the showed during 2015.
I'll be the first to post.

MP versus SP.

MP = Gamescom 2015 Demo
SP = E3 2017 Demo

Total destruction is MP only.

leeh

I think it does. That youtube videos super low bitrate turns a pretty vibrate game into a washed out blocky mess.

The B roll looks like the new screenshot without the terrible resize that making it look like they went overkill on the sharpening.
Don't get why everyone saying it looks bad, think it looks great there. A lot of sharp detail on there with cool effects.

It will be in the game, the full-destruction is essentially a showcase for new middleware which will be a lot bigger than Crackdown.

People streaming in 4K and then data for a whole load of data for physics chunks is too much? I love the arm chair developers in here. If it was too hard to do, it wouldn't of been shown off at BUILD years ago with a PoC.

Tech demos are one thing, everyone remembers tje one for WarDevil,l and Dark Sector (to a lesser extent) but actually making that shit work in game is an entirely different story.

Gurish

Still not really looking amazing but it does look much better than before. It doesn't look like a 360 game anymore at least, definitely looks like a current gen title in this video, not the most impressive current gen title, I would even say one of the least impressive, but still, current gen at least.

Nydius

I'll be the first to post.

MP versus SP.

MP = Gamescom 2015 Demo
SP = E3 2017 Demo

Total destruction is MP only.

Doesn't really dispute his point though. The previous times we've seen Crackdown 3, the big push was about destruction in the environment. Even if it's just in MP. E3 rolls around, a mere few months from official release date, and the best they can show is single player canned ham that didn't look all that impressive?

After the initial reveal and then the Gamescom demo, E3 2017 made the game feel like an afterthought . Again, a game that's supposed to be coming out in mere months. So I have to agree with his post. The fact that they showed NO multiplayer and NO destruction this time around is suspect. I doubt there's going to be the same level of destruction shown from the Gamescom demo in multiplayer. We already know they've had to limit it to "multiplayer arenas" rather than the entire world as had been alluded to back in 2015, so is it that much of a stretch to think the overall level of destruction will also be reduced? I don't think so.

People streaming in 4K and then data for a whole load of data for physics chunks is too much? I love the arm chair developers in here. If it was too hard to do, it wouldn't of been shown off at BUILD years ago with a PoC.

Yeah, because companies NEVER show off super ambitious alpha builds years before the game releases only to completely downgrade and strip out huge chunks at release just to get the game out. /s

I guess we all just imagined the entire Watch_Dogs controversy.

Have we got actual confirmation that this is in-game? Looks like a bullshot. Especially compared to the trailer they showed at E3 and the SP gameplay footage they released a few weeks ago.

leeh

Yeah, because companies NEVER show off super ambitious alpha builds years before the game releases only to completely downgrade and strip out huge chunks at release just to get the game out. /s

We're not talking about graphics here, we're talking about a smart advancement and use of the size of infrastructure cloud providers have these days and nice middleware to manage it.

This doesn't rely on future consoles or high hardware specs, it relies on already existing infrastructure. This means it can be highly planned to begin with to see whether it is feasible and only would of proceeded if it was.

There's a huge difference.

To remind you of what happened with Watch Dogs, Ubisoft developed it to what they thought the specs of what the X1 and PS4 was, which were wayyy out.

jesu

Four studios

Cloudgine - developing cloud technology
Reagent - director of the project (Dave Jones creator of Crackdown)
Ruffian - Multiplayer
Sumo - Single player

Are you sure Ruffian are involved?
Their website doesn't mention it and the Crackdown 3 website doesn't mention them, just Cloudgine, Reagent Games and Sumo.

You didn't imagine the controversy. The people who took part in the controversy did, however, have very active imaginations because Watch_Dogs 1 included pretty much every visual effect included in its pre-release footage. The only real changes were to particle density, and some "different, but not bad" changes to midday lighting. WD1 is a remarkably good looking game. Its reflection quality is especially outstanding, particularly compared to GTA V's cheap, low quality reflection maps.

Homefront: The Revolution ran at a whopping 15fps during action sequences on consoles at launch. The developers "optimized" the game until it ran at a locked 30 on consoles. Part of that optimization was reworking particle effects and extensively reworking scene lighting.

If Watch_Dogs had launched with those extremely expensive particle effects from early footage intact, and it dipped into the teens during shootouts, gamers would have whined about how the game was "poorly optimized". I don't remember anyone thanking Dambuster Studios for not downgrading Homefront: TR prior to release.

A lot of gamers seemingly expect developers to deliver locked performance while never compromising visuals in order to achieve that, which is somewhat entitled, I feel. It betrays a complete lack of understanding of the realities of game development that are especially hard on open world titles, which have much more complex performance requirements.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I want this game, but I am going to temper my expectations like some of the other posters on here. What they showed in the tech demo was a perfect environment created specifically for the demo. I think if the game had the same destruction in MP that they showed in the tech demo, they would have showed the MP at E3, as it is the biggest selling point.

I think they steered away from it, as they are still beating feet to try and get it to where they want it as presentable. However, they may come through with it and that would be great. In the end though, if a company isn’t sure that the product will be like said tech demo, they would certainly show the other parts of the game at E3 and use that tech demo they showed a couple years ago to sell the game.

They don’t have to show MP at all if they don’t want to and can fall back on that demo. It appears that is what they are doing as we haven’t seen anything that I can recall about MP since then.

I could be wrong, but I have plenty of knowledge of how to sell a product to the “money” people on big projects to secure more yearly funding, by using older demos and certain block software to show off what the project is capable of and using other full mission capable system areas to skirt around the fact, that certain parts may not work as advertised.

Just my opinion on the matter, though I would be perfectly happy being wrong. I don’t know how game developers do things, but procuring money from the government for special projects, I can see being very close. The government committees being stand-ins for the game purchasers, that is.

Anyone in game development, that can chime in if they do the same sort of things?

Doesn't really dispute his point though. The previous times we've seen Crackdown 3, the big push was about destruction in the environment. Even if it's just in MP. E3 rolls around, a mere few months from official release date, and the best they can show is single player canned ham that didn't look all that impressive?

After the initial reveal and then the Gamescom demo, E3 2017 made the game feel like an afterthought . Again, a game that's supposed to be coming out in mere months. So I have to agree with his post. The fact that they showed NO multiplayer and NO destruction this time around is suspect. I doubt there's going to be the same level of destruction shown from the Gamescom demo in multiplayer. We already know they've had to limit it to "multiplayer arenas" rather than the entire world as had been alluded to back in 2015, so is it that much of a stretch to think the overall level of destruction will also be reduced? I don't think so.

It's very suspect how the MP was completely absent from E3, although I do think it will still have destruction because that's been the entire selling point since the game was announced and they basically can't launch without it. I don't know what direction MS are going to be taking this, but they're doing a very poor job of marketing it so far.

leeh

It's very suspect how the MP was completely absent from E3, although I do think it will still have destruction because that's been the entire selling point since the game was announced and they basically can't launch without it. I don't know what direction MS are going to be taking this, but they're doing a very poor job of marketing it so far.
Couldn't agree more. MS' job of marketing crackdown has probably been the worst one I've ever seen. It was awful beyond belief.

a.wd

I am a massive crackdown fan and I will be buying the crap out of this game, but looking at YT videos and then looking at Gamersyde videos of this game is like night and day, it looks amazing in the native source, YT compression makes this game look horrid.

bede-x

I think it'll have destruction as well, but also that the reason they're so quiet about it is that they know, it doesn't look as good as the early demos. Otherwise why wouldn't they show it this past year?

That B-roll footage looks fine to me, I don't know what all the whinging is about. It's not the best looking game ever but it does look like a true sequel to the original Crackdown, that's what matters to me. It was always a game which focused on the core mechanics and open sandbox nature, not fluff.

I just hope the multiplayer mode lives up to it's promise. The fact that they haven't shown it is worrying though. I guess Gamescom will be the decider, if they once again try and brush it under the carpet then I wouldn't expect much from it.

peppers

I mean wtf is YouTube doing with the image quality? This looks good, I had no idea there were so many particles around the character. The ground has nice textures too.

Theorry

I mean wtf is YouTube doing with the image quality? This looks good, I had no idea there were so many particles around the character. The ground has nice textures too.

Maybe cell shaded with YT compression makes it worse then with normal graphics? Dont know.

Yes the compression in YouTube videos can absolutely wreck the perceived look of a game. It often does it with Forza too, where all the ground textures turn into a single colour making things look very basic.

Won't win any best graphics awards, but that is not that bad as other stuff we've seen from this game.

I would argue the world looks pretty bland though and is lacking density in terms of objects/NPCs. There is a lot of open space with nothing.

peppers

Maybe cell shaded with YT compression makes it worse then with normal graphics? Dont know.

Yes the compression in YouTube videos can absolutely wreck the perceived look of a game. It often does it with Forza too, where all the ground textures turn into a single colour making things look very basic.

Okay so I took a couple screeshots, 3 from the SDCC footage and 2 from the news.xbox footage. They are 1080p images so I won't embed them since it will just take so much screen space for the post. Even then, both have additional compression due to imgur. You can see a mouse cursor in the youtube screenshots, but that's not mine.

http://imgur.com/a/IJq3W

The city has that fog from the screenshot in the OP. In fact, from what I can see, it gets affected by light but none of that can be seen from the YT video. There is also an insane amount of detail lost in explosions, mainly small debris with smoke coming out of it (images 1 vs 4 specially).

While I was searching for stuff I came across this video by Rand al Thor in which he highlights the most important problem this game has:
it ain't the graphics, it's actually the way they're showing it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri_nXKaV0mo

bede-x

While I was searching for stuff I came across this video by Rand al Thor in which he highlights the most important problem this game has:
it ain't the graphics, it's actually the way they're showing it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri_nXKaV0mo

Agreed, it's definitely a presentation problem, but also one that's compounded by how they raised expectations with the early destruction demos. Single player looks flat in comparison to those demos, though it's hard to see why anyone that loved Crackdown would be disappointed. It looks like it captures the vibe and feel of the original perfectly.

peppers

^Yep. At this point they should hurry the fuck up and make Crackdown 1 BC to get the nostalgia going and remind people that they love Crackdown. That and impressive destruction footage MIGHT save this one from tanking too badly...

Top Bottom