• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Crackdown 3 screenshot

Tonky

It's definitely not low budget at all, 4 independent teams Reagent, Cloudgine, Sumo and Ruffian over 4 years. Reagent, Cloudgine and Ruffian working on the multiplayer and Sumo and Reagent working on Single player. Reagent is the creative director over everything lead by Dave Jones the creator of Crackdown, Cloudgine works on the cloud tech, with Sumo there for the campaign Workload and Ruffian the Multiplayer.
Regardless of whether it was or wasn't actually low budget, it looks low budget. Maybe most of the budget went towards multiplayer, but then why not show that? Probably the same reason we've seen very little of the game since its announcement at E3 2014. It's most likely not that great.

Jrs3000

Regardless of whether it was or wasn't actually low budget, it looks low budget. Maybe most of the budget went towards multiplayer, but then why not show that? Probably the same reason we've seen very little of the game since its announcement at E3 2014. It's most likely not that great.

Its the normal course of game development. They will get the game looking better as it nears completion. The devs even came out stating this fact. That usually the work flow. Also its unknown how old the build they've demoed from e3 is. I'm sure their internal builds are better than what they've shown.

JlNX

Maybe it's they just made a really poor choice of art style and Sumo was really not up to making this kind of game. In terms of not showing of the multiplayer it's probably the most obvious answer MS is absolutely shit at showing of and marketing their games properly at all, evidenced by last few E3's of first party demoing and there advertising for those games in comparison to say Sony. Shinobi did mention some development trouble which he then retracted to every game has development trouble it's coming along fine, he didn't mention if development trouble was with Sumo and the campaign or Ruffian with the multiplayer. So who knows? We should probably be getting info on the multiplayer around Gamescom and then we will have a clearer image.

Tonky

Its the normal course of game development. They will get the game looking better as it nears completion. The devs even came out stating this fact. That usually the work flow. Also its unknown how old the build they've demoed from e3 is. I'm sure their internal builds are better than what they've shown.
Yeah so the problem with the visuals is not something that can be fixed in 4 months. This isn't a situation where the game is a little rough around the edges and needs some polish. This is a situation where the visuals are so underwhelming they would essentially have to redo them from the ground up to get to the level of what's expected for an EXCLUSIVE open-world game in 2017.

blakep267

Crackdown visuals/geometry over the years:

Gamescom

What the fuck is this games art style and which build is new or old or final or polished?

Remember if you quote me to delete gifs/pics to not fill the thread.

It's definitely not low budget at all, 4 independent teams Reagent, Cloudgine, Sumo and Ruffian over 4 years. Reagent, Cloudgine and Ruffian working on the multiplayer and Sumo and Reagent working on Single player. Reagent is the creative director over everything lead by Dave Jones the creator of Crackdown, Cloudgine works on the cloud tech, with Sumo there for the campaign Workload and Ruffian the Multiplayer.

I think people have issues with the art direction for this game. The WIP stuff seems to be before they added the cel shaded comic style of the game. Whether you like that or not, that's the vision of Crackdown that the creators set forth

Either that or the campaign and Multiplayer will have wildly different visuals and then it will truly indicate that they essentially are 2 different games formed into 1 packaged product. You have the classic Crackdown SP and a new multiplayer destructible world game

oldergamer

The original crackdown was going for a frank miller art style

GUYRUSTY_002.jpg

80f9cc68e5896e1486f5a99f621f5cf1--geof-darrow-comic-covers.jpg

...but ultimately it wasn't achievable. You will see some early similarities in the color pallets used in frank miller art.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This game would make me get a One X if it's a bigger difference vs. playing it on one S.

Love me some Crackdown

EvB

I knowm, YT compression etc...
But YT doesn't make this:
lloks like this:

You can see for yourself how bad compression hurts this game visuals. Here's the conference trailer with a decent quality:

http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_crackdown_3_e3_trailer_press_conference_4k_30_-40153_en.html

Compare this version to the youtube one and you see how worse it looks on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeiwjOBvVwg

The youtube version simply destroys every detail.

Kikorin

The game looks pretty terrible, but the worst thing seems to be the framerate, don't know if the gameplay videos has been captured badly, but stutter is everywhere.

Necro900

Dualshockers posted some SDCC gameplay videos http://www.dualshockers.com/crackdown-3-xbox-one-pc-gameplay-video/, and sure as hell it doesn't look anywhere near as good as the screenshot in the OP.

"Crackdown is all about destruction"

Almost nothing in the demo appears to be destructible. Even the car shows no signs of damage when run into a wall at high speed... why is everything so stiff/static in this game?

Sigh, let's hope this turns out good, I'd hate to see such a good IP die, especially now that MS really needs quality exclusives.

ganaconda

That gameplay footage was from the same E3 build (10 minute limit in closed area) that they had random SDCC Entertainment Weekly party attendees (all people in Hollywood) playing (often drunk off their asses) and was taken straight from a Mixer stream. This isn't a "showcase", just to clear up confusion.

Not sure how much the game's graphics have actually changed since the E3 build, but thought some context was necessary here.

They did have a panel yesterday about Crackdown earlier in the day, but footage from that won't be available until Monday and also I'm not sure if there was actual gameplay footage shown at that panel or if it was just a developer/artist discussion.

Outrun

Yeah so the problem with the visuals is not something that can be fixed in 4 months. This isn't a situation where the game is a little rough around the edges and needs some polish. This is a situation where the visuals are so underwhelming they would essentially have to redo them from the ground up to get to the level of what's expected for an EXCLUSIVE open-world game in 2017.

So underwhelming?

To you perhaps.

If the gameplay is solid, I am good.

Shin-Ra

Dualshockers posted some SDCC gameplay videos http://www.dualshockers.com/crackdown-3-xbox-one-pc-gameplay-video/, and sure as hell it doesn't look anywhere near as good as the screenshot in the OP.
This Major Nelson interview's cracking me up.

"I can swim?"
"Oh yeah. You're super agent."
"I'm super Asian?!"

Cars are riding on top of each other and clipping through the road.
"So this game, it's all about physics, so you're going to see things in this game that react, act and react according to what we understand to be physics here on Earth."

JlNX

Here's a hint , the 2015 footage isn't the latest build.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, it's to show the progression of different art styles/geometry/models/lighting over the last two years. So they completely simplified the geometry of the city in the last 2 years and changed art style, while also changing the lighting which doesn't do the game any favours. Notice how the character model from the Gamescom 2015 build/2016 developer preview is the same as the one in the newest screenshot in the OP but doesn't match the E3 trailer. I'm still excited for the game as what I want out of Crackdown is the gameplay, but the amount of difference between all these different builds they have had over the years is so strange. Even the two week gap between the two different art styled Terry Crews models, we only know the cell shaded version is in the opening cinematic is the other in-game? The way it's being shown off is awful. Not to mention when we see the multiplayer footage which will also look completely different because the way geometry has to be built for 100% physics based destruction is completely different to how the campaigns geometry looks.

Are the building's destructible like they said originally? I haven't been following the development.

Apparently so, in the multiplayer part of the game. They seem afraid to show it though for some reason!...

Quote from official Xbox page -

"Join with up to 10 agents online to tear the city apart piece by piece in a 100% destructible multiplayer arena, available with your purchase of Crackdown 3"

Mauddib

Banned
Jesus some of the SDCC gameplay looks atrocious. How in the world has MS decided to not cancel or completely overhaul this game?

EvB

Notice how the character model from the Gamescom 2015 build/2016 developer preview is the same as the one in the newest screenshot in the OP but doesn't match the E3 trailer.

There are multiple playable characters

Also, there will be multiple models for agent level up for each character, as there were in both previous games.

Even the two week gap between the two different art styled Terry Crews models, we only know the cell shaded version is in the opening cinematic is the other in-game?

You see to be confusing "art style" with the character being within a different room/lighting environment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVXujveS1WE

The gameplay might be fun, shit I sure hope so but man the visuals are disappointing to say the least. Definitely not what you would expect from a game that has been in development for so many years. Wonder what happened.

That being said, I really do hope they'll finally show that MP during Gamescom because it sure is about time we got to see that and hopefully the destruction is still the same.

Jesus some of the SDCC gameplay looks atrocious. How in the world has MS decided to not cancel or completely overhaul this game?
They already cancelled Scalebound. The last thing they need to do is cancel another major title in their lineup. They are probably biting the bullet with this one.

This had the potential to be something on the level of Gears and Halo in being the next big exclusive with great graphics, improved gameplay and new stuff, destruction and so on. But I guess there is a reason they took so damn long to show it to the public.

I have very little faith in this game. What MS needs is studios like 343 and The Coalition, who know what they are doing, know all about the hardware and engine. I mean more studios like that. And right now they have way too few of those.

This had the potential to be something on the level of Gears and Halo in being the next big exclusive with great graphics, improved gameplay and new stuff, destruction and so on. But I guess there is a reason they took so damn long to show it to the public.

I have very little faith in this game. What MS needs is studios like 343 and The Coalition, who know what they are doing, know all about the hardware and engine. I mean more studios like that. And right now they have way too few of those.
Agreed. Hiring smaller studios to work on major titles isn't cutting it. They need bigger teams with an appropriate budget and as much time as needed.

JlNX

There are multiple playable characters
Also, there will be multiple models for agent level up for each character, as there were in both previous games.

I already know about the 5 levels (6 for Terry) and multiple characters, I mean the art style and quality of the model. The E3 trailer model is far more cel shaded, lower resolution textures and lower poly than the Gamescom/preview model.

You see to be confusing "art style" with the character being within a different room/lighting environment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVXujveS1WE

No I'm not, no lighting pass is going to change the difference between the obviously made to look cell shaded and sharpening filtered version of Terry Crews and the realistic model of Terry Crews. You can easily see that the realistic model is the base of the made to look cell shaded model. There is a clear difference, one is clearly 3D the opposite of what cel shading hopes to achieve and one is taking that model and trying to make it look cel shaded (I say trying because it doesn't do a good enough job making the 3D model appear 2D.)

What about the rest of my post:
So they completely simplified the geometry of the city in the last 2 years and changed art style, while also changing the lighting which doesn't do the game any favours.

Agreed. Hiring smaller studios to work on major titles isn't cutting it. They need bigger teams with an appropriate budget and as much time as needed.

Yes. But it's strange, because I was under the impression that plenty of talent were working on the game. How many different developers actually are on it?

But man, MS already doesn't have too many great games of their own. Big exclusives I mean and it's just sad that this clearly won't be one of those. That's not to say it can't be fun but this one ain't gonna be the next big one.

JlNX

Yes. But it's strange, because I was under the impression that plenty of talent were working on the game. How many different developers actually are on it?

Four studios

Cloudgine - developing cloud technology
Reagent - director of the project (Dave Jones creator of Crackdown)
Ruffian - Multiplayer
Sumo - Single player

cireza

You can see enemies and way-points in the screenshot, could be real. I mean why not ? A game from 2017 could look like this.

Does not look much better than Sunset Overdrive, which is still a pretty game for an open-world, IMHO.

But man, MS already doesn't have too many great games of their own. Big exclusives I mean and it's just sad that this clearly won't be one of those. That's not to say it can't be fun but this one ain't gonna be the next big one.
As Jinx mentioned above, their were 4 different teams working on it but each team had a specific task and each team was pretty small on their own. Probably had cohesion issues with the way they did it.

I think it is a shame as well because I figured Crackdown 3 would come back in a big way after being absent for 4+ years.

Top Bottom