• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Danganronpa V3 Spoiler Thread

Arguement armament murdered me. Especially the final one.
Lmao. I actually started swearing during the last one. I was like "IT'S STILL NOT DONE?"

Too much, DR. Too much.

AA was def the worst minigame. The music wasn't even that good and the repeating audio was annoying. I was actually disappointed with it.

Yeah, actually, I agree with this part. If they're going to do a rhythm-based mini-game, at least make the music catchy like the rest of the soundtrack :/ that was a let-down.

ibyea

Banned
Nonstop debate and its variants are fun. The rest yeah, I could do without. Even closing argument was kind of obnoxious in V3, those damn animations took forever to play out and you can't skip through them.

I didn't count non stop debates, rebuttal showdown, and debate scrum in the term minigames. :p

LiK

I'm sure they will. The ending of this game and kinda UDG was "Man fuck all this hope vs despair bullshit"

Def felt that way. The whole peaceful world outside was kind of a message about it too.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind a more mystery driven game with less about class trials/murders and let Danganronpa go off into something a bit more involving the characters instead of them killing each other.

Really the bad thing about Hangmans Gambit is it only allows one specific term when sometimes it can be multiple things. I assume stuff like WORLD LOOPS comes from having to translate it and having a set amount of space?

I still don't get the purpose of minigames instead of just doing more non stop debates. I guess its to break up the monotony. With shit. They keep trying to make them better and I guess they hit tolerable finally

The only issue with Hangman's Gambit are the weird answers they ask for. Like "Ropeway" and "Seesaw Effect". Took me ages to figure out that.

ibyea

Banned
Really the bad thing about Hangmans Gambit is it only allows one specific term when sometimes it can be multiple things.

I still don't get the purpose of minigames instead of just doing more non stop debates. I guess its to break up the monotony. With shit. They keep trying to make them better and I guess they hit tolerable finally

I don't get it either. Non stop debates are not monotonous and one of the good parts of the game.

The only issue with Hangman's Gambit are the weird answers they ask for. Like "Ropeway" and "Seesaw Effect". Took me ages to figure out that.

Heck, I didn't know the word ropeway existed before this game. Seesaw effect was weird too.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Everyone can agree that "Which season of Danganronpa is this?" is the best use of the Hangman's Gambit in the series, right? Having to enter the insane answer manually enhances the joke so much.

Zeroro

Everyone can agree that "Which season of Danganronpa is this?" is the best use of the Hangman's Gambit in the series, right? Having to enter the insane answer manually enhances the joke so much.

Absolutely. That and the Mind Mine segment where you have to talk about Team Danganronpa clearly mark the point of no return in that trial. The part where the V3 logo starts flashing on the screens behind everybody was my favorite.

How would you make Case 2 literally unsolvable? Or how would you make any case in the game unsolvable for that matter. If Kirumi didn't do this elaborate 'dispose of body using piranhas' plot she would have completely got away with it. Drown the dude in the sink and leave him there.

Zeroro

Chapter 5 & 6 were all about that conflict, so not really.

I mean, it's about that conflict in the sense that Shuichi needs to acknowledge the Hope vs. Despair theme and how the games repeatedly using that conflict is what allows the game to continue over and over again in the first place.

Viale

Hangman’s Gambit wasn’t bad in this game compared to the previous ones.

I think in concept it wasn't bad, but some of the words felt awkward, and I wasn't sure what they were going for. Personally, I had a pretty rough time with Ropeway. I overall wasn't a big fan.

Generally, I didn't like many of the mini games at all except for scrum debate and Argument Armament(I thought the designs were really cool), and maybe truth blade, but that was really just a variation of non stop debate anyway.

Haganeren

Yeah, but the game goes all in: like, all in on driving home the whole"YOU'RE FICTIONAL CHARACTERS!" thing that to have that one little technicality seems kinda...lame.

As far as only being able to cosplay dead people, that would imply that every survivor from the first 2 games had died in the 50 or so years since their killing games: not implausible I suppose but...I dunno. Assuming of course they weren't 100% made up.

Mayer she can control that cospox effect and just used it to trick everybody since they couldn't have dismissed the possibility of her disguising herself to kill Rantaro in the first trial without it, I dunno.

Ultimately her shifting between all the characters from the first two games was so fucking bananas I don't wanna harp too much on this, but I guessed o can't help myself.

There is other conradiction though. She insists fiction don't have the power to affect reality but still want to bring despair into the world. (Well, maybe that was just the "plot")I just think even if she insists they are fictional character, they are still real people in body and blood so she just can't.

That being said there IS some stuff i found strange, i was very surprised the culprit of case 3 used a ritual he seemed to be very interested with in order to just murder someone... Which mean he can't contact anybody.
Even worst, i still don't understand why Miu decide, all of the sudden, to murder someone. If that was her mindset why didn't she did it sooner ? What thing changed her mind ? She really didn't seemed like a person who would do it like that.

Edit : Oh yeah, and i thought my worst mini game would be hangman's gambit but i'm REALLY frustrated with the rhythm mini game because i want to read the sentence but it's VERY hard to do and i just can't.

There is other conradiction though. She insists fiction don't have the power to affect reality but still want to bring despair into the world. (Well, maybe that was just the "plot")

I just think even if she insists they are fictional character, they are still real people in body and blood so she just can't.

That being said there IS some stuff i found strange, i was very surprised the culprit of case 3 used a ritual he seemed to be very interested with in order to just murder someone... Which mean he can't contact anybody.

Even worst, i still don't understand why Miu decide, all of the sudden, to murder someone. If that was her mindset why didn't she did it sooner ? What thing changed her mind ? She really didn't seemed like a person who would do it like that.
Korekiyo had the whole thing memorized anyway so he probably wasn't too interested, he just used his interest as a cover so nobody would suspect him and he could kill everyone. I was thrown off because he kept asking why the ritual didn't work, the fact that he wanted to talk to Angie also throws suspicion.

I think the pressure probably got to Miu and she say that as her one chance that wouldn't be tied directly to her.

The more I think about it and the more I talk about it I think I like the game more and more. I'm not even done with it, I'm going to put a couple of hours into the post game modes at least.

I dunno if I like it more then 2 and I'm still unsure how to completely feel about the Kaede twist but hey I was skeptical after DR3 was a bad trainwreck and Kodaka being unable to give up on the Hopes Peak plotline and got proved wrong, they really made it work. Its no ZTD for sure.

FluxWaveZ

They don't bring it up once until Chapter 5, and even then it's introduced as a gag twist for all of the characters to come together and say "fuck that lame shit"

I mean, if we're going to be technical, the robot's name is literally "hope" in Japanese.

But when they all become depressed, but then rejuvenated once they get the Flashback Light that "reminds" them of their past at Hope's Peak, and how they decide to fight for hope against despair, that's no gag. It becomes a pivotal point of the plot up until the ending.

I mean, it's about that conflict in the sense that Shuichi needs to acknowledge the Hope vs. Despair theme and how the games repeatedly using that conflict is what allows the game to continue over and over again in the first place.

There's that part, but they are in essence all "hope warriors" once they "remember" that they were chosen, and that they represent humanity's hope. It's not just the final debate against Tsumugi, but everything that happens after Kokichi reveals the "truth" is based on this conflict. I want something else that drives the plot, not hope vs. despair.

Jeffrey

I'm glad the final case wraps around to the first one. I was wondering how it worked lol. The ultimate pianist making a rube Goldberg trap with perfect timing with zero chance to practice to get the timing down.

FStubbs

The only one to make me chuckle was Teruteru's "Don't pull out of the game! Only losers pull out". I prefer double entendres to random mentions of body parts.

I'll never forget Akane giving Teruteru the biggest opening ever and he missed it in DR3.

"Give me some meat Teruteru!"

kewlmyc

Yea, the previous one was the running man one right? That one felt shorter.

It was snowboarding. It felt similar to that Sonic 2 emerald collecting minigame iirc.

But yeah, it was much shorter. You didn't need to collect Mario Kart blocks in order to unlock the question.

Zeroro

Psyche Taxi would be fine if it didn't last like 4 minutes.

I was completely fine with its length because the music was so good. I'd be fine with them continuing to make silly, gimmicky mini games as long as Masafumi Takada kept composing fun tracks for 'em.

kewlmyc

I was completely fine with its length because the music was so good. I'd be fine with them continuing to make silly, gimmicky mini games as long as Masafumi Takada kept composing fun tracks for 'em.

Fair. The music can make or break anything. The music is the main reason why Scrum Debate is the best minigame in this game.

h0tp0ck3t

Psyche Taxi would be fine if it didn't last like 4 minutes.

it takes forever and the questions are dumb as fuck too.
How did Ryoma's body leave his lab? The Window
How did it get to the gym? The Window
How did it get across the pool? Window to Window (or something)

you fucking kidding me?

Read up on trophies and the last of the Hidden Monokumas for each chapter are in the trial hidden in a minigame and I missed every one of them

Guess I'll have to do that for the alt routes anyway, only found one of those the entire game. I might gun for the platinum because I don't have to do the dumb pet shit from 2

How would you make Case 2 literally unsolvable? Or how would you make any case in the game unsolvable for that matter. If Kirumi didn't do this elaborate 'dispose of body using piranhas' plot she would have completely got away with it. Drown the dude in the sink and leave him there.

It's been a while since I did that case but we can't possibly know what evidence might have been found on the body had the piranhas not devoured Ryoma, right? Besides, I think it's wise to take counter-measures, implicate others and generally obscure the truth to win the killing game.

Wazzy

Banned
What a crazy game. I'm still in shock over everything being fiction(I had a feeling they were being broadcast to an audience due to a lot of hints throughout each chapter but not that they would completely break the 4th wall) and the killing game was essentially a reality show for multiple seasons.

By the end I still loved Maki and Kaito. They were the most interesting characters for me, especially Maki. Shuichi was still boring by the end but I at least didn't end up hating him.

This game was way too 4th wall breaking. I'm the selection of audience that ate up the romance with Maki and Kaito ; ; fuck you danganronpa. You couldn't even let that survive.

Overall a pretty interesting way to end the series.

Bardiche

Since this is the last Danganronpa, maybe the series will continue but each entry will be in between Danganronpa 2 and 53? Kind of like every Street Fighter entry after SF3.
I love how the audience members, through Keebo, were voicing their preference for Kaede. Shuichi is definitely the worst protagonist in DG history. He wasn't memorable in the slightest, he felt so empty compared to Makoto and Hajime.

Viale

Since this is the last Danganronpa, maybe the series will continue but each entry will be in between Danganronpa 2 and 53? Kind of like every Street Fighter entry after SF3.
I love how the audience members, through Keebo, were voicing their preference for Kaede. Shuichi is definitely the worst protagonist in DG history. He wasn't memorable in the slightest, he felt so empty compared to Makoto and Hajime.

I think that would defeat the point a little since we know how each of those goes based on V3. They all seem to follow the formula presented here with the same endgame. After V3, I feel like it'd be hard for me to personally enjoy that as much as I did in the past. I did like the idea as someone brought up earlier of having a "low budget" killing game done by an eccentric fan for another installment, but otherwise, I think I personally would rather the series get some breathing room.

Syrinx

Another DR set before V3 would have to be able to actually work with the idea that the player knows from the beginning that the whole thing is a staged, fictional setup.

FluxWaveZ

Another DR set before V3 would have to be able to actually work with the idea that the player knows from the beginning that the whole thing is a staged, fictional setup.

The philosophical issue here is that V3 made it intentionally ambiguous whether or not the whole thing is staged. There could very well have been killing games taking place in the "real world"—including DR1 through DR3—and it wouldn't contradict V3 until its epilogue because of seeds they planted for that purpose, like Tsumugi talking about a copycat killing.

Which would probably not lead to a good game. The meta commentary in V3 was barely pulled off, I don't think they'd be wise to double down on it when I doubt they could execute on it.

I'd say they should scrap it and make a new continuity, but they've kind of burned that bridge too. There's not really a good reason to make another Danganronpa besides that it's a popular franchise, they've pretty much stretched the concept as far as it can go.

Top Bottom