• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Danganronpa V3 Spoiler Thread

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Oh - I just remembered something that I don't think got addressed.

How come Tsumugi gets cospox while trying to cosplay as Kaede, if she's a fictional character?

GoldStarz

Oh - I just remembered something that I don't think got addressed.

How come Tsumugi gets cospox while trying to cosplay as Kaede, if she's a fictional character?

I mean that's technically a plot hole, but it's probably that she can't cosplay "live action" characters either since they're based on actual likenesses.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I don't really see how it's especially different from a lot of media but to each their own.

I dunno but it's incredibly wacky on how it got there.

Random question but were you able to finish the game (JP version)?

Brazil

I mean that's technically a plot hole, but it's probably that she can't cosplay "live action" characters either since they're based on actual likenesses.
Aren't the characters from DR1/2 the same as Kaede, though? As in: real people who were on a show or real people who were involved in an actual killing game, depending on your interpretation?

Weird.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I watched (parts of) a translation playthrough and read up on FTEs and the parts that I skipped.

I think it's better if you actually played the game from Chapter 1 to Epilogue rather than read and watched fragments of it.

Because I can understand that hating on the ending
everything was fake and the players are the actual masterminds
thing can be an off putting twist if you don't know how it got there and how it was actually explained.

Anyway, props to the developer for creating an incredibly ballsy ending, especially how meta it can get.

GoldStarz

Aren't the characters from DR1/2 the same as Kaede, though? As in: real people who were on a show or real people who were involved in an actual killing game, depending on your interpretation?

Weird.
Nope, did they mistranslate that? DR, as it is here, is a franchise that's gone through many iterations, but it definitely started with something outside of live-action. The case files in Saihara's Research Room are actually the case files from the DanganRonpa series which is why they go from illustrations to actual photographs.

I think it's better if you actually played the game from Chapter 1 to Epilogue rather than read and watched fragments of it.

Because I can understand that hating on the ending
everything was fake and the players are the actual masterminds
thing can be an off putting twist if you don't know how it got there and how it was actually explained.

Anyway, props to the developer for creating an incredibly ballsy ending, especially how meta it can get.
Don't really like that vague sense of condescension your post if giving off there, my guy.

ULTROS!

Don't really like that vague sense of condescension your post if giving off there, my guy.

I just don't like it when people think something is great/terrible when they haven't even played the game or only see parts of it.

It's like someone reviewing a movie but watching only 30 minutes of it or hearing it from someone.

You should play the game before you judge it. ;)

GoldStarz

I just don't like it when people think something is great/terrible when they haven't even played the game or only see parts of it.

It's like someone reviewing a movie but watching only 30 minutes of it or hearing it from someone.

You should play the game before you judge it. ;)

I've gone over the plot beats for months now and you've only played it once, do you really think you have a better comprehension of the game just because you've physically played it? It's a visual novel, and while it's definitely got the 'most game' of the series (DRAE aside), the story is where it lives and dies.

RRockman

Banned
I don't buy that, especially given how overtly obvious the 'twist' with the memory lights were.

I don't really see how it's especially different from a lot of media but to each their own.

Did the memory lights really give away that it was all a tv show this time? I always thought DR in general always loved messing around with people's memories so I just interpreted as that, but It's been a loooooong time in my case though so I can't exactly remember how the memory lights came to play.

EDIT: actually, I looked at my post waaaaay back in January:

This is super interesting! Guess we still have some surprises in store. It really does look like they were normal before,
so now I'm wondering why? Why grab normal kids, zap them with talent and then kill them? Was it the facility, or was it the Mastermind?

I'm inclined to belive that they didn't in my case. I guess I didn't put two and two together. Maybe I thought it was a more exaggerated repeat of DR1?

ULTROS!

I've gone over the plot beats for months now and you've only played it once, do you really think you have a better comprehension of the game just because you've physically played it? It's a visual novel, and while it's definitely got the 'most game' of the series (DRAE aside), the story is where it lives and dies.

The ending is definitely controversial, much like FFXV.

But to flip it, does one have credence for watching only parts of a translated playthrough even if it's multiple times?

No need for fighting and aggression though! I just don't like it when people review a game or say how great/bad it is without playing it, watching the stream, watching parts of the stream, or even just knowing what it is. Like for example, I watched full stream of The Nameless Game in English but I can't review it, I enjoyed what I saw but I can't say it's a great game because I haven't even played it.

GoldStarz

Did the memory lights really give away that it was all a tv show this time? I always thought DR in general always loved messing around with people's memories so I just interpreted as that, but It's been a loooooong time in my case though so I can't exactly remember how the memory lights came to play.

Not that specifically, but it was pretty much the biggest 'hint' that the ongoing plot was total horseshit and as far as I can remember, it was the biggest hint at what was actually going on for a long portion of the game.

The ending is definitely controversial, much like FFXV.

But to flip it, does one have credence for watching only parts of a translated playthrough even if it's multiple times?

No need for fighting and aggression though! I just don't like it when people review a game or say how great/bad it is without playing it, watching the stream, watching parts of the stream, or even just knowing what it is. Like for example, I watched full stream of The Nameless Game in English but I can't review it, I enjoyed what I saw but I can't say it's a great game because I haven't even played it.

I've fully experienced the character and stories and I'm not pretending to judge it on any level other than that.

DQDQDQ

This post will spoil things up to the ending. I finished this earlier tonight. Took me two weeks to get through the story and it felt like an eternity.

This was my first Danganronpa, so feel free to discount any of my opinions.

I hated this game pretty much from the beginning.

Thought the twist with Kaede was cheap, but not because they swapped a female lead for a male. Spoilers for Heavy Rain follow, but this was in a broad sense a carbon copy of what totally killed that for me,
the whole the character you're controlling is really the killer but they did it off screen bit
. Only in this game it happens right at the start.

The portrayal of female characters, children at that, is really bad. Specifically basically everything Miu says (and I realize she's supposed to be over the top in that way, but it's cringy and not funny.), some of the lines people use in reference to her (thinking of some Kokichi bits), and then you've got the domestic violence stuff with the bargain bin Koopa Kids.

The whole ending bit just doubled down on tropes I hate. It's not very far removed from "it was all a dream." Having not played the other games, it felt to me like they were really proud of how meta the ending got. In my case, I didn't end up caring for nearly any of these characters so the fact that none of it was real wasn't as big of a letdown as it could have been.

I did like the investigation and the trials, though I was usually ready to move along quite a bit before the trials were over. Everything was just so slow. And I get it, novel, but still. The last ending with the survivors spending like 5 minutes just saying "I wonder what's out there" was so bad. Just padding for the sake of padding.

I played one round of that board game / RPG and that was enough. Liked it more than the main game but it moves way too slow also. I won't be going back for any more of it.

Gave this a shot based on high praise I saw for the others, but regret putting in the time. Though there are parts that I think objectively deserve criticism, I think this genre probably just isn't for me. Hope the fans of the series like it.

GSR

Weird.

It's been a while since I played the JP version but IIRC the suggestion was that DR1/DR2 were fictional videogames, and DR3 was a fictional anime, and so on, and that only recent entries in the DR series were real murder games due to the popularity of the series.

ULTROS!

It's been a while since I played the JP version but IIRC the suggestion was that DR1/DR2 were fictional videogames, and DR3 was a fictional anime, and so on, and that only recent entries in the DR series were real murder games due to the popularity of the series.

That's what I understand too.

But the Epilogue states another possibility that there might be an actual DR1 and DR2 world but Tsumugi implies it as a fiction.

I wonder how they can do a DR4, and if ever there's a DR4. Will it be in the real world or will it be in the fictional world?

AniHawk

That's what I understand too.

But the Epilogue states another possibility that there might be an actual DR1 and DR2 world but Tsumugi implies it as a fiction.

I wonder how they can do a DR4, and if ever there's a DR4. Will it be in the real world or will it be in the fictional world?

the only way i can see it going is if there is a crazy fan doing a low-rent, run-down killing game.

ULTROS!

Hell, check the first page of this thread.
Everyone was already set to riot over Kaede's death and there are still people really bitter over that bait-and-switch.

That being said, how this game treats Monophanie will be a way bigger shit-storm than any hand-wringing over Kaede.

Late reply but I think Koichi smack talking to Miu and Miu cowering will cause the bigger controversy. :p

Koichi calling out Miu a "cum dumpster whore" or "piece of shit urinal cake" will definitely cause some... Problems.

Is anyone here familiar with some of the fake spoilers that went around during the Japanese release? I'm curious how people would react if any of those turned out to be true.

The biggest ones were that Kaede planed her death to trap the mastermind and that the game was set in an alternate timeline with different survivors of the previous games.

RRockman

Banned
This post will spoil things up to the ending. I finished this earlier tonight. Took me two weeks to get through the story and it felt like an eternity.

This was my first Danganronpa, so feel free to discount any of my opinions.

I hated this game pretty much from the beginning.

Thought the twist with Kaede was cheap, but not because they swapped a female lead for a male. Spoilers for Heavy Rain follow, but this was in a broad sense a carbon copy of what totally killed that for me,
the whole the character you're controlling is really the killer but they did it off screen bit

The portrayal of female characters, children at that, is really bad. Specifically basically everything Miu says (and I realize she's supposed to be over the top in that way, but it's cringy and not funny.), some of the lines people use in reference to her (thinking of some Kokichi bits), and then you've got the domestic violence stuff with the bargain bin Koopa Kids.

The whole ending bit just doubled down on tropes I hate. It's not very far removed from "it was all a dream." Having not played the other games, it felt to me like they were really proud of how meta the ending got. In my case, I didn't end up caring for nearly any of these characters so the fact that none of it was real wasn't as big of a letdown as it could have been.

I did like the investigation and the trials, though I was usually ready to move along quite a bit before the trials were over. Everything was just so slow. And I get it, novel, but still. The last ending with the survivors spending like 5 minutes just saying "I wonder what's out there" was so bad. Just padding for the sake of padding.

I played one round of that board game / RPG and that was enough. Liked it more than the main game but it moves way too slow also. I won't be going back for any more of it.

Gave this a shot based on high praise I saw for the others, but regret putting in the time. Though there are parts that I think objectively deserve criticism, I think this genre probably just isn't for me. Hope the fans of the series like it.

The criticism is fair. Unfortunately something I've noticed is that as the series went on the characters became more exaggerated. And the girls are being shafted more as well. This being your first one also unfortunately means you missed out on

Kirigi:
tumblr_inline_mlma72fnjt1qz4rgp.png

As well as

Nanami:
among others.

Kirigi has yet to be topped as best written girl out the entire series. She's very human, makes mistakes and actually grows from them. and then while Nanami seems like waifu bait, she actually has way more depth than what appears on the surface. Unfortunately that's all I can say without entering spoiler territory.

But back to my first point. With the characters being more exaggerated each game I realised it makes the cast less likeable each time. To me it felt like the characters got less attention as the plots got more and more meta. This culminating in this particular entry, where the're all like "lol growth? You were fake the whole time". I guess what I'm trying to say while this one character wise sucked, the other two hit it right out of the park And have a much different focus because of it.

h0tp0ck3t

Is anyone here familiar with some of the fake spoilers that went around during the Japanese release? I'm curious how people would react if any of those turned out to be true.

The biggest ones were that Kaede planed her death to trap the mastermind and that the game was set in an alternate timeline with different survivors of the previous games.

Lol I took that bait when I saw
Mondo Chihiro and Chiaki
in the revamped survivor list

GoldStarz

There were quite a few, honestly... Let's see...
  • Kaede was actually Kiibo's creator
  • Kaede faked Amami's death, so that after a certain period of time, he could come back and free everyone
  • The first three DR games had totally different survivor outcomes
  • V3 takes place in a AU of the HPA universe where Mukuro commands/commanded the Despair Army against the Future Foundation (that also had a different name but it escapes me)
  • Shinguji was trying to kill 100 girls to resurrect his dead sister
  • Miu was Kaede's sister
  • The Neo World Program had data on the past and they were able to interact with the past survivors (from the AU) in there

I think that's about it, there's probably more that I'm forgetting though.

There were quite a few, honestly... Let's see...
  • Kaede was actually Kiibo's creator
  • Kaede faked Amami's death, so that after a certain period of time, he could come back and free everyone
  • The first three DR games had totally different survivor outcomes
  • V3 takes place in a AU of the HPA universe where Mukuro commands/commanded the Despair Army against the Future Foundation (that also had a different name but it escapes me)
  • Shinguji was trying to kill 100 girls to resurrect his dead sister
  • Miu was Kaede's sister
  • The Neo World Program had data on the past and they were able to interact with the past survivors (from the AU) in there

I think that's about it, there's probably more that I'm forgetting though.

On top of that for a while we didn't know there were multiple endings and we just had one that really sucked, so we though that the mastermind died offscreen

Brazil

The epilogue scene kinda leaves it up to interpretation, though, with the whole "cosplaycat crime" thing Tsumugi mentions right before K1-B0 wrecks shit up.

But either way, with how adamant Tsumugi is saying they're nothing more than fiction, it'd be weird that she couldn't cosplay as them. But I guess the whole cospox thing could simply be one of the mastermind's misdirections. It's just weird that it isn't addressed.

Nah. In Heavy Rain, the game actively lies to you inside that character's head. With Kaede, nothing her inner voice says contradicts the fact that she was the killer.

DQDQDQ

Nah. In Heavy Rain, the game actively lies to you inside that character's head. With Kaede, nothing her inner voice says contradicts the fact that she was the killer.

It's the fact that the character you're controlling becomes the killer while off-screen and away from your control. To me, it was a lazy shock value twist that doesn't give the player any opportunity whatsoever to solve the crime before the truth is revealed in the trial. That's the exact opposite of what I think a good mystery story should be.

Brazil

It's the fact that the character you're controlling becomes the killer while off-screen and away from your control. To me, it was a lazy shock value twist that doesn't give the player any opportunity whatsoever to solve the crime before the truth is revealed in the trial. That's the exact opposite of what I think a good mystery story should be.

That's fair.

But mysteries that can be solved before the trial begins aren't what Danganronpa's going for. There's always a lot of new information that only surfaces during debates. I don't think there's a single case in the franchise that you can figure out entirely before the trial.

That's fair.

But mysteries that can be solved before the trial begins aren't what Danganronpa's going for. There's always a lot of new information that only surfaces during debates. I don't think there's a single case in the franchise that you can figure out entirely before the trial.

of course you don't know the why/how, but still :p

PK Gaming

That's fair.

Well said.

This ain't Sherlock. The trial progression and everything that entails (twists, betrayals, reveals, etc) are often as important, if not more so than the mystery itself.

DQDQDQ

Was thinking about this - At the beginning of the game it when it explains that you can slap objects out of the way and that something might be behind them... this is a mechanic that is only used one time right? The flashlight generator computer is the only thing to investigate that requires you to slap objects out of the way?

Brazil

Was thinking about this - At the beginning of the game it when it explains that you can slap objects out of the way and that something might be behind them... this is a mechanic that is only used one time right? The flashlight generator computer is the only thing to investigate that requires you to slap objects out of the way?

Yeah. You can slap shit whenever to get Monocoins, but that's the only time you actually have to do it.

Such a weird mechanic, too. Most of the times it doesn't even work.

GoldStarz

That's fair.

Yes they are?

You're right that there's always new information, but usually, that's just to fill in the blanks and help the player come to the correct conclusion. A good mystery is one that you could solve before the trial starts if you carefully look at all the clues, but likely won't because you end overlooking something or falling into a red herring and the majority of DanganRonpa's mysteries fall into this category. IIRC, Kodaka basically said something to the effect of "a mystery written for TV should be something you can't see coming until the very end, but when writing a mystery for a game, you should be able to solve it yourself"

Brazil

Yes they are?

You're right that there's always new information, but usually, that's just to fill in the blanks and help the player come to the correct conclusion. A good mystery is one that you could solve before the trial starts if you carefully look at all the clues, but likely won't because you end overlooking something or falling into a red herring and the majority of DanganRonpa's mysteries fall into this category. IIRC, Kodaka basically said something to the effect of "a mystery written for TV should be something you can't see coming until the very end, but when writing a mystery for a game, you should be able to solve it yourself"

If they are, then they're pretty fucking awful at it.

If anyone told me they solved DR2's Chapter 5 or DR1's Chapter 4 before the trial actually began... Then I'd know they were lying.

And besides, I'm not even sure I agree with that theory about what makes a good mystery. I like having my own theories and comparing them to what actually happened after I get all the facts, but I enjoy the way Danganronpa presents new information during the trials, and I never feel betrayed when they contradict something I previously thought. It's just what it is.

The criticism is fair. Unfortunately something I've noticed is that as the series went on the characters became more exaggerated. And the girls are being shafted more as well. This being your first one also unfortunately means you missed out on

Kirigi:

As well as

Nanami:
among others.

Kirigi has yet to be topped as best written girl out the entire series. She's very human, makes mistakes and actually grows from them. and then while Nanami seems like waifu bait, she actually has way more depth than what appears on the surface. Unfortunately that's all I can say without entering spoiler territory.

But back to my first point. With the characters being more exaggerated each game I realised it makes the cast less likeable each time. To me it felt like the characters got less attention as the plots got more and more meta. This culminating in this particular entry, where the're all like "lol growth? You were fake the whole time". I guess what I'm trying to say while this one character wise sucked, the other two hit it right out of the park And have a much different focus because of it.

Shame the anime is canon huh.

That's fair.

You can largely guess the majority of them early on. You may be missing details, but I nailed who the killers were or figured out the "twist" of every case long before it happened. The only case in the series to get me was danganronpa 2
the fake suicide killed by gas. The only twist in the series to actually feel clever.

UberTag

We've already had two blatant untagged spoiler leaks in the OT and it's less than 24 hours old. You'd like to think people would know better by now... but I suppose not.

Hope they didn't upset the apple cart for too many people.

If they are, then they're pretty fucking awful at it.

If anyone told me they solved DR2's Chapter 5 or DR1's Chapter 4 before the trial actually began... Then I'd know they were lying.

And besides, I'm not even sure I agree with that theory about what makes a good mystery. I like having my own theories and comparing them to what actually happened after I get all the facts, but I enjoy the way Danganronpa presents new information during the trials, and I never feel betrayed when they contradict something I previously thought. It's just what it is.

Are you kidding? That case is a joke. The whole time I kept waiting for the twist since
sakura killed herself and set up a sealed room trick
was so obvious I couldn't believe the game drew it out.

Brazil

Are you kidding? That case is a joke. The whole time I kept waiting for the twist since
sakura killed herself and set up a sealed room trick
was so obvious I couldn't believe the game drew it out.

Oh, that's
Sakura's one
. I was thinking of Chapter 3.

h0tp0ck3t

We've already had two blatant untagged spoiler leaks in the OT and it's less than 24 hours old. You'd like to think people would know better by now... but I suppose not.

Hope they didn't upset the apple cart for too many people.

literally the two big twists spoiled in a couple hours. smh

Oh, that's
Sakura's one
. I was thinking of Chapter 3.

Once again

Are you kidding me
Celeste acted so obviously guilty that I was stunned the case didn't have a clever explanation of what happened. IIRC fat boy was panting around/about Celeste before his death so the manipulated killing by her and cleaning up the evidence was predictable. Even if someone didn't figure the latter part out it should have been obvious Celeste was guilty.

Brazil

Once again

Are you kidding me
Celeste acted so obviously guilty that I was stunned the case didn't have a clever explanation of what happened. IIRC fat boy was panting around/about Celeste before his death so the manipulated killing by her and cleaning up the evidence was predictable. Even if someone didn't figure the latter part out it should have been obvious Celeste was guilty.

Ehh. Knowing who's guilty because they were acting suspicious and raising flags isn't solving the case, come on.

Ehh. Knowing who's guilty because they were acting suspicious and raising flags isn't solving the case, come on.

Well once it's obvious who's guilty, you can generally look at the evidence/victim and largely piece it together. Sure the minor details might be off but if you can go "x killed y with z by doing abc" and then you need to do an hour plus of awful mini games to get the rude goldberg explanation of "x killed y with z doing abc AND d" like woohoo?

So does Kaede contribute any sort of greater meaning to the plot or is she just supposed to be female character that dies to motivate the male hero 3.5?

If she has ANY sort of impact later in the story other then hero motivation I'd probably be slightly less pissed.

ULTROS!

What chapter do you think is the best in this game, guys?

Personally I like Chapter 4 and 6. I dunno how DRv3 Chapter 4 ranks against DR1 Chapter 4 in terms of sadness but it definitely was sad.

I liked Chapter 6 because it all went to hell and wtf.

RRockman

Banned
Shame the anime is canon huh.

Unfortunately. The Openings were great tho.

So does Kaede contribute any sort of greater meaning to the plot or is she just supposed to be female character that dies to motivate the male hero 3.5?

If she has ANY sort of impact later in the story other then hero motivation I'd probably be slightly less pissed.

I still feel this is why:

I think this is precisely why he chose Kaede. I feel like her entire thing was the red herring to distract you from the fact that this DR is a farce in the first place. He didn't want to slap you with unexpectedness right off the bat, he wanted to lull you into a sense of predictability, complacency. I feel like if he did go the unexpected route right off the bat the second twist wouldn't hit as hard.

When I think about it overall in the grand scheme of things and especially how some people in the other thread are already complaining about her being replaced and serving as motivation for/by an average guy(when we know he's anything but), It makes sense to play with a cliche that has been present in every DR to some extent. (Sayaka, Naegi) (Nanami, Izuru/Hajime)

Shoot when you take into account their real personalities it becomes a sick joke, The girl who doesn't like to trust people easily is putting her trust into a guy who willingly joined the game to actually kill people! I can only imagine how disgusted he felt when he got his memories back. Does it justify her fridging though? Maybe not, but I really enjoy the dramatic irony of the situation. It's part of the reason why this freaking game is so divisive.

AniHawk

things hidden in plain sight:

'killing harmony':
it had three meanings. the first is that it's the idea of disrupting cooperation. but the theme of the game is lying. the second meaning was supposed to trick you into thinking it's actually a joke about kaede's fate. the third and final meaning is killing harmony as in, killing in harmony, which the participants have effectively done by signing up for danganronpa

the limited edition
all non artbook/soundtrack/box items are supposed to be some item from within the game. the hat is saihara's (he casts it away). the backpack is kaede's (she doesn't need it where she is). the headphones are marked with the 'team danganronpa' logo, (perhaps) belonging to a fictional crewmember in control of danganronpa

'new cast, new locations, new danganronpa'

Unfortunately. The Openings were great tho.

I still feel this is why:

When I think about it overall in the grand scheme of things and especially how some people in the other thread are already complaining about her being replaced and serving as motivation for/by an average guy(when we know he's anything but), It makes sense to play with a cliche that has been present in every DR to some extent. (Sayaka, Naegi) (Nanami, Izuru/Hajime)

Shoot when you take into account their real personalities it becomes a sick joke, The girl who doesn't like to trust people easily is putting her trust into a guy who willingly joined the game to actually kill people! I can only imagine how disgusted he felt when he got his memories back. Does it justify her fridging though? Maybe not, but I really enjoy the dramatic irony of the situation. It's part of the reason why this freaking game is so divisive.

If your looking at it from the perspective of just this series then I see how this thought process works. I don't think the creators were making any negative statements about women. Heck the last game two main characters were both girls.

The problem, at least for me, comes when you look at it from games as a whole. Female main characters are still somewhat rare and seem almost non existent for visual novels. So when you have a game promise something different only to go back to the status quo it's annoying. Like I'm sure Saihara is a great character but he's still a male character given priority to a female something that's very, very common.

If your looking at it from the perspective of just this series then I see how this thought process works. I don't think the creators were making any negative statements about women. Heck the last game two main characters were both girls.

The problem, at least for me, comes when you look at it from games as a whole. Female main characters are still somewhat rare and seem almost non existent for visual novels. So when you have a game promise something different only to go back to the status quo it's annoying. Like I'm sure Saihara is a great character but he's still a male character given priority to a female something that's very, very common.
I don't even have some sweeping reasoning. I just lost interest in this series after DR3 being the biggest turd and only was interested in v3 because Female lead. Fully seeing the twist coming a mile away I read spoilers before making a purchase (way back at JP release) glad I did. Game could absolutely be amazing, but at this point its just not a game I want to play.

Just chiming in since I've been still following along with the thread due to curiosity.

Top Bottom