• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Danganronpa V3 Spoiler Thread

NotLiquid

Doing Kaede's free time events in the post-game mode.

The only excuse I can see for not making her the protagonist is she's simply too pure for this goddamn despair-fueled world. More so than Chiaki.

A.J.

Banned
I'm still processing the endin, but I do want to say I did laugh at:

"Real Kaede" saying she had no faith in humanity and "Real Kaito" saying he wanted to kill them all.

I was kind of outrageous to see after being with these characters for so long.

GoldStarz

The only excuse I can see for not making her the protagonist is she's simply too pure for this goddamn despair-fueled world. More so than Chiaki.

Honestly, the bits I've seen of her FTEs make it sound like they were just trying to full "waifu-ize" her for Saihara and/or the player. They might have changed it in the localization though.

RRockman

Banned
Did a run on it and it really is boring as hell. You throw the dice a bunch of times and go through some random shit, "leveling" your character and getting some skills that mostly seen useless, till you're thrown into a badly balanced RPG fight. Not even sure what you're supposed to be doing since this series's tutorials all suck ass.

Gaaaaaaah This suuuucks.

This is hilarious, cause the real her probably wouldn't think twice about ditching her friends if it really came down to it.

All the more reason we need a DRV3if

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
So did Tsumugi actually have Cospox?

I don't know - and no one else does, apparently. The game doesn't address this properly.

The epilogue scene kinda leaves it up to interpretation, though, with the whole "cosplaycat crime" thing Tsumugi mentions right before K1-B0 wrecks shit up.

But either way, with how adamant Tsumugi is saying they're nothing more than fiction, it'd be weird that she couldn't cosplay as them. But I guess the whole cospox thing could simply be one of the mastermind's misdirections. It's just weird that it isn't addressed.

Gradon

Didn't they explain that the series started as a TV show and none of it was real so she could technically cosplay those characters as they weren't real. But real people became the characters they are in V3 so technically they are real people so she couldn't cosplay them?

A.J.

Banned
Didn't they explain that the series started as a TV show and none of it was real so she could technically cosplay those characters as they weren't real. But real people became the characters they are in V3 so technically they are real people so she couldn't cosplay them?

But there as also implication that the events of Hope's Peak actually did occur which would make it that Tsumugi was successfully cosplaying real people while she couldn't cosplay the fake characters.

I said it in the regular thread but one thing this game does that I like is the Chapter 5 execution. I've always wanted to see Monokuma get blue balled like that.

RRockman

Banned
I said it in the regular thread but one thing this game does that I like is the Chapter 5 execution. I've always wanted to see Monokuma get blue balled like that.

Imagine if that happened to Junko. It would have been glorious. The executions were on point in this game, for better or worse.

Ulong

I'm way too early in the game to participate in this thread but I wanted to basically emptyquote this post from the main thread and it's not apropriate to do that there for spoilers.

Despite my apprehension from the demo, I decided to buy this anyway because a mainline series moving onto an exclusively female protagonist is a very rare move and I want to be appreciative of that.

pariah164

Just beat the game.

I HAVE MANY THOUGHTS and need a few to sort them out.

So... was that just Kodaka saying 'fuck you' to the players, or was it just being meta for meta's sake? I loved it and am looking forward to School Life, but I'm curious now.

RRockman

Banned
She would be feeling the pleasure of the despair of her execution failing.

:( I forgot about that bull crap of hers

I'm way too early in the game to participate in this thread but I wanted to basically emptyquote this post from the main thread and it's not apropriate to do that there for spoilers.

I felt bad for that poster. Not sure if they were ready for that crotch kick

Just beat the game.

I HAVE MANY THOUGHTS and need a few to sort them out.

So... was that just Kodaka saying 'fuck you' to the players, or was it just being meta for meta's sake? I loved it and am looking forward to School Life, but I'm curious now.

I kinda felt it was a mix of both honestly. I originally thought Kodaka was pissed when he was writing this one lol. Especially when you consider the "fans" are the final boss.

pariah164

I kinda felt it was a mix of both honestly. I originally thought Kodaka was pissed when he was writing this one lol. Especially when you consider the "fans" are the final boss.
Safe to say this is really the end, then. No more Danganronpa. I am sad, but happy at the same time.

... Ultra Despair Girls 2 pls. I loved that game, IDGAF.

A.J.

Banned
One of K1-B0's argument armament phrases being "Kaede should have been the protagonist over him" got a laugh out of me even though I too was bummed about it.

One of K1-B0's argument armament phrases being "Kaede should have been the protagonist over him" got a laugh out of me even though I too was bummed about it.

Wonder if that was in the original Japanese or a localization addition in response to the outcry over the Chapter 1 twist in the English fandom.

pariah164

So, I have a few questions about post-game content.

- I got the School Mode unlocked. I'll probably spend my time there primarily; I tried the board game and there must be something I don't get because I got sent to the despair board RIGHT after the first year had passed. Any tips for it would be appreciated, but I'm not gonna stress myself out trying to 'master' it.

- I'm still missing an icon on the title screen. What is it, and how do I unlock it?+5[r

- Thanks to having a demo save file, I got to do a bonus event feat. Kaede, Tsumugi and Ranmaru at the start of the game. Since I seem to be locked into Shuichi for school mode, are there any other events for Kaede that I can unlock? And if so, how?

A.J.

Banned
Wonder if that was in the original Japanese or a localization addition in response to the outcry over the Chapter 1 twist in the English fandom.

Well the context of that line is that the in universe fans are saying Kaede would have saw the killing game through since Shuichi was abstaining from participating. I just like to imagine they in universe fans are complaining for the same reasons we are complaining.

Well the context of that line is that the in universe fans are saying Kaede would have saw the killing game through since Shuichi was abstaining from participating. I just like to imagine they in universe fans are complaining for the same reasons we are complaining.

I know that, but I'm just wondering if the Japanese writers were perceptive enough to realize what the reaction to that would be or if it was a cheeky addition by the localization team since they already had fan reactions to that twist.

Gradon

So, I have a few questions about post-game content.

- I got the School Mode unlocked. I'll probably spend my time there primarily; I tried the board game and there must be something I don't get because I got sent to the despair board RIGHT after the first year had passed. Any tips for it would be appreciated, but I'm not gonna stress myself out trying to 'master' it.

- I'm still missing an icon on the title screen. What is it, and how do I unlock it?

- Since I seem to be locked into Shuichi for school mode, are there any other events for Kaede that I can unlock? And if so, how?

- You need to reach the goal each year before the year ends in like March / April to escape going to the Despair board.

- You need to complete the board game mode first since it relies on the board games completion to even play.

- The only way to get Kaede's free time events is by replaying Chapter 1 free time over and over. There are 3 scenes per character I believe.

Said the same day we got hints for V2

boo what where are the hints what hints

DNAbro

Said the same day we got hints for V2

Link to whatever this is?

Also finished it late last night. I had a feeling they would do something like "Danganronpa 1 and 2 are fake" but jeez that was crazy. I would be okay with no more Danganronpa games. Overall I liked the game a lot but I don't think it was even close to how much I enjoyed DR2. I'm still processing it, it's a top 10 of this year for sure but it will end up lower than I had hoped for.

Loz246789

Just finished the game myself.
When I started, my worst case scenario regarding the controversial ending was some sort of "and everything turned out to be fictional, the end" ending. Yet despite that basically happening, I kind of love the ending instead? I think the fact that the characters weren't actually "fictional", but instead were shaped by fictional memories, did a lot to help. And then there were a few moments that were clearly off script, like Keebo attempting to blow up the academy and stuff, so even if the characters were made up of lies, they still felt like people. If that makes sense. Also, the post credits scene was everything I needed in terms of closure, which I wasn't expecting.

... That being said, will there ever be a DR final case with good pacing? Because this most certainly did not buck the trend.

Looking forward to the postgame content!

vkrili

Going into the ending knowing only that it pissed people off, and then for it to turn out that people were pissed off for exactly the same reason the game said they would be pissed off, only made me like it more, honestly.

Some comments mostly on the first and last cases:

Like many people, I'm disappointed that Kaede died so early and that Shuichi took over the protag role. I waited until the game ended as there would likely be some information to change my perspective on that choice, and there was, but in the end it boiled down to two things:
  • I was more interested in Kaede's perspective than Shuichi's, both as being a female lead and later her own energetic-with-some-false-bravado personality. Kaito was used as her surrogate for developing Shuichi further, but her personality was more nuanced than his even if they were ideologically very similar.
  • Kaede's death was used partially as fuel for Shuichi to get his act together so to speak, but long term I ended up feeling that this was a waste -- Shuichi didn't seem so unsalvageable as a character that Kaede needed to die to jumpstart him, and even with his growth I still think he'd have been better as a foil(which he ends up being used as in a few points to great effect).

Though I do want to say that most of my frustration with Kaede dying actually makes an argument for why it was a compelling death -- I think I, like many people, saw a lot of potential in her characterization and looked forward to how she would end up interacting with the others and leading the class trials. Kodaka is pretty good at getting you invested enough in these characters, and Kaede almost ends up feeling like him saying "See I could actually do this if I wanted, but nah". It stings more because her representation thus far looked competent.

Anyway, as things turned out, Shuichi ended up being a pretty strong protagonist, probably the best of the 3 male DR leads. Yes, he had similar self-esteem issues etc etc. but his progression both felt more natural and his rise to competence felt more earned. By the later trials he was so good at his 'job' that they made the act of heartlessly pursuing the truth a counterplot while still keeping the character very human as he wrestled with if what he was doing was 'right'. It was a line of conflict you could only go down if for example, Kirigiri was the protagonist of DR1 instead of Naegi. I appreciated that a fair bit--that even if he wasn't Kaede, they put in enough thought and left out enough Deus Ex that Shuichi was a clear upgrade over other protagonists.

The late game twist honestly turned me off a fair bit when they did it, but I still ended up enjoying the ending itself. I guess partially because the alternative where the plot was moving towards DR Cinematic Universe literally instead of ironically would have been more disappointing to me.

I ended up enjoying this game a lot. I think it's a great sendoff if it ends up being the last DR game, too. Case for case I don't know if it's the strongest DR game, but I do feel like it is the most coherent and the most polished of the 3 in a lot of ways, from pacing to character development to minigames and presentation, etc. Not to say all those aspects were perfect in New DRV3, but generally on the whole better than the predecessors.

Like all the DR games and even the twin anime series, I enjoyed the voyage more than the destination. I guess if there's a regret for ending DR, it'd be that I never find the endgame all that satisfying--even if that may be the point.

NotLiquid

This post is going to be very indulgent, it's basically me musing about how a DRV3 could've worked with Kaede as protagonist in comparison to Shuichi. Basically I have a lot of time on my hands.

Anyways, I mentioned it in the main thread but one thing I really enjoyed was how unlike Shuichi she actually had a discernible threshold for her patience, particularly in how after a point she would insult Miu back ("cow udders" is still one of the funniest things anyone's said in the game imo). She was way more assertive and had clear flaws, which is something I would've liked to see explored more. With the previous protags it always felt like the cast assumed so little out of Hajime and Makoto because they were by design meant to be generic. They were jack-of-all-trades that didn't really have any flaws in the context of the games themselves. But Kaede already had a huge impact on everyone early on after she motivated people to escape, and after everyone being thoroughly dejected by failed escape attempts there's a huge potential for an uphill struggle for her.

So here's the basis of the "What If" scenario - what if Kaede did go through with her murder plan but instead Shuichi accidentally goofed something in the basic outline of the trap which would make it so that he ended up being the killer instead? Chapter 1 would've ended on a fucking dark note, and I think that would be a great DR-styled twist because it means that Kaede not just brought everyone up to the top in the beginning of the game but also destroyed everyone's trust for her in the process. It'd be a massive spin on the Sayaka twist from DR1. Kaede attempted to kill someone, but because of outside interference, someone else takes the fall instead - and now she has to go through the entire game with everyone pointing dagger eyes her way, knowing that she is indirectly responsible for two deaths. Everyone would be more willing to argue against her in trials, and she'd essentially have to regain everyone's trust. In my mind I feel Kokichi would benefit much more from Kaede as a protag since he'll clearly notice Kaede's propensity for thinking outside the box in coming up with solutions, perhaps even wanting to get on her good side, and him being a foil to Kaito would be much more evident. Kokichi could essentially be reifying Kaede's more ambiguous traits, while Kaito is the other side of that coin. I think her also being caught up in that kind of situation can become a good reason for a kinship to develop between her and Maki, as we know that the both of them have exhibited a capacity to kill.

Another chapter I think would benefit a lot from Kaede as a protag is Chapter 4. Implicating Gonta in the confrontation with Kaito would probably be a lot more tragic, because if Kaito's "best bro" status is maintained in the story, it's possible that he'd be part of the reason Kaede could still recover from that aforementioned Chapter 1 twist. But in implicating Gonta there's a lot more personal weight to be had, since criticizing Kaito's naive altruism is by extension her lamenting the fact that throughout the process of the game, Kaito may have been way too easy on Kaede. Her guilt for having Shuichi killed never really goes away and there's no real way for her to know if she'll be absolved of it. Then in Chapter 5 we get an ironic echo to the first Chapter as this all gets turned around - instead of a case where someone accidentally ended up becoming the murderer, we have someone who decides to become a murderer to save someone else from accidentally becoming one.

And the irony of Shuichi becoming an accidental murderer? His DR audition tape explicitly has him saying he wants to be a murderer, because he wants to take advantage of his Ultimate Detective status. If Kaito's audition tape had Maki dance the trauma conga line, I can't help but imagine what Shuichi's would do to Kaede.

It just seems like wasted potential to me that there was a much more evident character arc with her, especially when they built many of the game's new mechanics with her ability in mind. It doesn't make much sense for a detective to lie, and the Mass Panic Debate is built around the idea that she can hear people better than others. It just makes less sense to me to have Shuichi use these abilities - particularly committing Perjury, because for Kaede to have done an attempted murder, it makes sense that she'd embrace the usage of lies in future trials.

Another thing I feel they could've used Kaede as a vector for is in further deconstruction of Danganronpa as a series since that's what they were going for. The only thing the game is explicit about calling out is the Hope/Despair angle, and don't get me wrong - I love the fact that the game does. It's another thing that I think would've made even more sense for Kaede to be the one to do that, because while it's never explicitly mentioned, her "hope" to unite everyone early in the game is almost instantly denounced, meaning she's developed out of just assuming it has to be a binary concept. That said, something I've always felt deserves calling out in Danganronpa is the idea of an "Ultimate" anything. The first game had some incredibly small hints of this but never really dived deep into it. For one thing, Leon the "Ultimate Baseball Player" actually hated playing Baseball, and Junko the "Ultimate Fashionista" actually owed a lot of her success to Photoshop, even if it's later revealed that it's not the real Junko (in retrospect that's part of the reason I thought DR1 had a cheap story). Something I took note of is how Kaede went from "I only have a small interest in something" after being kidnapped to "Piano is all I've ever been good at" post-brainwashing - and it shows in the game. Not only did she fail to motivate people to escape, her murder plan was a total failure. It's also pointed out in the demo that she's a bad liar, even though it's a main game mechanic. If Piano is all she's good at, the game could've used her as a vector to show her continuously getting better at the things she's not good at; which includes investigating, deductions and yes, even lying. It'd be an amazing way of the game actually using mechanics to show how she's getting better. If the Danganronpa concept is supposed to be skewered, they could've used her to show how she's transcended the idea of what the game only tells her to be. She's not "Ultimate Detective", "Ultimate Lucky Student", "Ultimate Hope", or anything fancy that previous pivotal characters meant to win the game have. She's just an "Ultimate Pianist"; a seemingly throwaway title in the concept of Danganronpa, but who grows into becoming something much more. Instead, Shuichi as a character arguably kinda reinforces one of the elements of the Danganronpa concept since all he really does is become a better detective, and we've already seen a Detective character come out on top in these games.

I'm not saying Shuichi is a bad protagonist - in the grand scheme of this series I would actually say he's the best, but I really do believe that Kaede would've been much better in the long run if the idea was to make a character that can "defeat" Danganronpa itself. She's just a more interesting character to me than Shuichi and with more interesting potential, even though his arc is decent.

A.J.

Banned
I kind of get why they went with Shuichi for the protagonist. They wanted an Ultimate Detective to be the paragon of finding the truth in a game about truth and lies. And they didn't want the detective to be a girl since they already had Kirigiri. Though it could have still worked if you had Kaede picking up the role I suppose from Shuichi.

NotLiquid

I kind of get why they went with Shuichi for the protagonist. They wanted an Ultimate Detective to be the paragon of finding the truth in a game about truth and lies. And they didn't want the detective to be a girl since they already had Kirigiri. Though it could have still worked if you had Kaede picking up the role I suppose from Shuichi.

While I think that's fair what kind of takes me aback is that this is essentially the same thing they had Kirigiri do, but instead in a protagonist role. Outside of just wanting to find out the truth about her dad, it extended to finding the truth about Hope's Peak Academy. It's a little bit of a "been there, done that" kind of approach. I just kinda like the idea of a character with a DR title that isn't "protagonist-worthy" to go beyond.

Y'know what would really fuck me up if Kaede was the protagonist though
If she, just like Shuichi, decided to go listen to Debussy after the first trial - but unlike him it doesn't lift her spirits. For the first time that song rings hollow to her.

TP

Finished it last night. Loved the last chapter. My worry when it was announced was that I could not imagine a scenario where Hopes peak and Junko's antics were not in some way involved. Even the weakest connection would be a mastermind that was inspired by the events from the first game.

And thats exactly what was revealed. Art inspiring life and 53 despair queens.

If this is the end then that's alright

Vamphuntr

I liked the last chapter of the game. It was pretty good how it was executed overall. Throughout the journey the game keeps poking you with events that seems far fetched and obvious lies but yet some outrageous stuff keeps happening. The game keeps telling you to not believe obvious lies like the Necronomicon or Kokichi all the way while feeding you about all the way with the fake memories and the protagonist switch. Even at the end they pull the it's Junko again card which was pretty funny. But the message there about endless sequels and finding comfort in them was pretty spot on.

Letting the game a bit open ended seems a bit like a cop out or at least an anchor point for sequels at the very least. It's not clear what or who Tsumugi was copying and it doesn't make much sense that she was there for 53 seasons and still look like a high school girl.

Didn't like the game much overall though. Hated the cast. Pacing was pretty poor and the game seriously needed an editor. In this one characters keeps repeating their shtick all the time and it drags on a lot. Especially in the last case where she starts to cycle all of her costumes. The minigames were not good and often pointless. The Taxi games in case 4-5-6 are embarrassing since you talk about the answers just before playing. Also a big what the hell at picking up escorts in a car having anything to do with logical thinking. Definitely liked it the less of the 3 games.

NotLiquid

6HnhVGz.png

It's already happening

I liked the last chapter of the game. It was pretty good how it was executed overall. Throughout the journey the game keeps poking you with events that seems far fetched and obvious lies but yet some outrageous stuff keeps happening. The game keeps telling you to not believe obvious lies like the Necronomicon or Kokichi all the way while feeding you about all the way with the fake memories and the protagonist switch. Even at the end they pull the it's Junko again card which was pretty funny. But the message there about endless sequels and finding comfort in them was pretty spot on.

Letting the game a bit open ended seems a bit like a cop out or at least an anchor point for sequels at the very least. It's not clear what or who Tsumugi was copying and it doesn't make much sense that she was there for 53 seasons and still look like a high school girl.

Didn't like the game much overall though. Hated the cast. Pacing was pretty poor and the game seriously needed an editor. In this one characters keeps repeating their shtick all the time and it drags on a lot. Especially in the last case where she starts to cycle all of her costumes. The minigames were not good and often pointless. The Taxi games in case 4-5-6 are embarrassing since you talk about the answers just before playing. Also a big what the hell at picking up escorts in a car having anything to do with logical thinking. Definitely liked it the less of the 3 games.
I don't think Tsumugi was always in on it. My impression was that she was also given memories and skills by the flashback light, just with a different role in mind that would allow her to know the whole truth. And we know the first few "seasons" weren't actually reality shows in-universe though we don't know when the transition took place

kewlmyc

Well fuck. They managed to top DR2's ending. Congrats DR for making me feel like a piece of shit. Hopefully we never get another one.

Sorry guys, the V2 hints where misinterpreted by me, we may absolutely get V2 but not official, there was a thread in 2ch where some fans showed they contacted Spike and asked if they could make a fanmade V2 and apparently Spike said that they had no problems with that

That said, anyone who ends the game and thinks that V3's ending is trying to attack fans or saying that it's the end of the franchise needs to read these interviews:

https://somerandomness77.tumblr.com/post/164403786192/kodakas-interview-on-ndrv3s-ending-and-dr3

https://somerandomness77.tumblr.com/post/164403412397/mynavis-interview-with-danganronpa-team

Chapter 5 question :

i was sure this V3 was totally separated from the other games, wasn't it advertised like that? I know a lot of people who'll start the serie with this one (especially since it's the first translated in french), they'll miss some context then!

Chapter 5 question :

i was sure this V3 was totally separated from the other games, wasn't it advertised like that? I know a lot of people who'll start the serie with this one (especially since it's the first translated in french), they'll miss some context then!

Yeah, it was advertised as a fresh start for the franchise, so they were definitely being deceptive.
Though it isn't actually a continuation of the Hope's Peak Saga (maybe), to say it's completely stand-alone from DR1+2 would still be an incorrect statement.

I somehow managed to love it, but part of me thinks that's just because of how much I know it wold piss other people off. When I look at the posts in the other threads about how it makes people want to be done with the franchise (be it positively or negatively), I kind of feel like that's exactly what it was going for.

vkrili

The most unbelievable thing in the game is the idea that throughout however many seasons an Ultimate Detective was part of the cast, not ONCE were they a killer.

great ending but this is it though right? that ending was as definitive for a franchise as you possibly could get, i can't see how you can continue on after this

NotLiquid

The most unbelievable thing in the game is the idea that throughout however many seasons an Ultimate Detective was part of the cast, not ONCE were they a killer.

Another reason why turning Shuichi into a protagonist and not having him be a killer doesn't make much sense to me. V3 needed a swerve (of course) but this was one that felt misguided and not particularly earned.

vkrili

Actually maybe that was exactly the reason why, people knew "Oh wow an Ultimate Detective again huh?? He's gotta be a killer at some point!!!" and so the in-universe twist was that he wasn't.

RRockman

Banned
Link to whatever this is?

Also finished it late last night. I had a feeling they would do something like "Danganronpa 1 and 2 are fake" but jeez that was crazy. I would be okay with no more Danganronpa games. Overall I liked the game a lot but I don't think it was even close to how much I enjoyed DR2. I'm still processing it, it's a top 10 of this year for sure but it will end up lower than I had hoped for.

Chapter 5 question :

DRV3 is supposed to be an alternate continuity. I remember when I first heard this news it was kinda a red flags something was up. DRV3 does not negate DR1 and DR2 since it takes place in a separate universe where those are fake.

Just finished the game.

I did not enjoy the game's ending.

Lol please share with us

This is kinda reminding me of the MGSV twist were it was supposed to be for the fans but it came off weird. It's good to know there was no ill will.

We've only had 2 :/

Top Bottom