• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Daytona game for arcades announced

Bishop89

tumblr_nqgv4eOm5Q1r7sijxo1_500.gif

Awesome.

Wish they port the first to ps4/Xbox. Have it on the PS3 but I don't play that much on it.

Shaneus

"Plenty of people thinking that new Cruisn looks good (lol)"

Seeing people get stoked for a Raw Thrills game just because it has Cruis'n in the title, someone help them.
Yeah, they're just so goddamn generic now. I don't mind Raw Thrills because they have ties to classic gaming (Eugene Jarvis is a founder), but I think that given Sega recently released a Transformers arcade title on their own hardware (a PC with a Dell bootup screen, lols) I doubt RT have anything to do with this new Daytona title.

Thank goodness.

Arcadehero

Neo Member
OMG OMG OMG OMG IS THIS REAL

FORGET DAYTONA AND ID, FINALLY WE CAN PLAY MAXI5!??!?!? IT'S BEEN YEARS SINCE MAXI3 OH GOD

Finally, the best driving game ever made actually comes to North America?! Has D&B or Round1 or any other major chain announced that they're getting it?????

Yep, it's happening. :) I believe it starts shipping December but Namco hasn't been very keen to feed me info on this one. They said that the image I posted isn't "final" but changes will likely be minor (the marquee text I imagine).

What I have found out separately is that it is being sold in units of 4, which will come with the kiosk and some kind of huge marquee. This does mean that it will be a massive expense but one that certain D&B/R1USA locations should be able to handle.

While I've not received confirmation that those chains are getting it, I would guess with 99% certainly that particular locations (the top earning stores) will get one. D&B in particular has a great relationship with Namco, having debuted Mario Kart Arcade GP DX and Star Wars Battle Pod first. I would not be surprised if there is a D&B out there that has a set on test at the moment and that the rest of the company will determine if they move forward on it based on that (last year, D&B tested both Tekken 7 and Pokken Tournament but both games did not perform to their expectations).

If anything, coming across a WMMT5 in the wild is going to be a lot harder than finding a Daytona 3 :/

cj_iwakura

Yep, it's happening. :) I believe it starts shipping December but Namco hasn't been very keen to feed me info on this one. They said that the image I posted isn't "final" but changes will likely be minor (the marquee text I imagine).

What I have found out separately is that it is being sold in units of 4, which will come with the kiosk and some kind of huge marquee. This does mean that it will be a massive expense but one that certain D&B/R1USA locations should be able to handle.

While I've not received confirmation that those chains are getting it, I would guess with 99% certainly that particular locations (the top earning stores) will get one. D&B in particular has a great relationship with Namco, having debuted Mario Kart Arcade GP DX and Star Wars Battle Pod first. I would not be surprised if there is a D&B out there that has a set on test at the moment and that the rest of the company will determine if they move forward on it based on that (last year, D&B tested both Tekken 7 and Pokken Tournament but both games did not perform to their expectations).
God I hope so. I'd love to see South Florida get it, the D&B here is pretty huge. (Dania to be specific)

Get that nasty Dead Heat taste out of my mouth. God that game makes me sad to look at.

It'll be nice to have something to play that isn't Pump It Up Prime. Keep at them for info! And please keep us posted, I appreciate it.

Sad that Tekken 7 did badly, but not surprising. Do you think MT5 will do well? I can't imagine it not, casual arcade goers love racing games.

Arcadehero

Neo Member
God I hope so. I'd love to see South Florida get it, the D&B here is pretty huge. (Dania to be specific)

Get that nasty Dead Heat taste out of my mouth. God that game makes me sad to look at.

It'll be nice to have something to play that isn't Pump It Up Prime. Keep at them for info! And please keep us posted, I appreciate it.

Sad that Tekken 7 did badly, but not surprising. Do you think MT5 will do well? I can't imagine it not, casual arcade goers love racing games.

I've been to that one, they had a very nice setup as I recall.

Speaking of PIU, Prime 2 is also launching at IAAPA so most Prime cabs will probably get the upgrade by January/Feb.

I do know that WMMT5 is going to require an internet connect at the venue. Namco never did 4 here as the Namco USA guys weren't convinced that they could get the sales Japan wanted and many locations didn't have a solid internet connection.

I think it will do well at locations that get one thanks to the loyal fanbase, which by my observations has been slightly stronger than ID. What will be telling however are how many non D&B/R1 locations that get one. If you get several of those then it would show Namco how serious locations are and hopefully lead to 5DX+ upgrades. I do think that it would help sales if they open up to selling pairs instead of limiting it to quads. The quad setup is great but we're probably looking at an investment of about $40k+ here and that's a tough sell regardless the game.

cj_iwakura

Speaking of PIU, Prime 2 is also launching at IAAPA so most Prime cabs will probably get the upgrade by January/Feb.

I do know that WMMT5 is going to require an internet connect at the venue. Namco never did 4 here as the Namco USA guys weren't convinced that they could get the sales Japan wanted and many locations didn't have a solid internet connection.

I think it will do well at locations that get one thanks to the loyal fanbase, which by my observations has been slightly stronger than ID. What will be telling however are how many non D&B/R1 locations that get one. If you get several of those then it would show Namco how serious locations are and hopefully lead to 5DX+ upgrades. I do think that it would help sales if they open up to selling pairs instead of limiting it to quads. The quad setup is great but we're probably looking at an investment of about $40k+ here and that's a tough sell regardless the game.

I know some D&Bs have networked games, not sure about Dania, but I'm sure they'd find a way for a new game like that. I also second that the pair cabinet will be an important step, especially for smaller places that can't afford or have room for a quad.

We had a pair MT3 at Gameworks in Sawgrass(which is now a skeleton of its former self), and it was always packed.

Then again, 4P Maximum Tune is hype as hell. It was a sight to behold in Ikebukuro.

This is the only game that I think having a cheap localization adds to the charm, haha. "I'll drive you teacher!"

Did they mention anything about what board it's running on or what version of MT5 it'll be?

I wonder what arcade board Daytona 3 will run on.

Arcadehero

Neo Member
Then again, 4P Maximum Tune is hype as hell. It was a sight to behold in Ikebukuro.

Very true - 4p linked on just about any game has a particular social gaming charm to it like a game LAN. I would love to have one setup of 4 racers at my arcade but for the costs.

Did they mention anything about what board it's running on or what version of MT5 it'll be?

For the moment, it's the 'vanilla' version of MT5...5DX+ just getting rolled out in Japan.

Not sure about the board but lately most everything by Namco has been PC-based. Dead Heat as I recall was an Intel CPU with an nVidia 9800GT; Mario Kart GP DX was also PC but never received exact specs.

With Daytona, PC is guaranteed but not sure of the spec. It is likely that it's running on the Sega Nu (the more involved Japan was with this, they most likely used an "official" board) but Sega Europe has been known for building whatever PC worked best to get 60FPS such as Europa-R.

I'll definitely ask about them both at IAAPA and hopefully they'll give me an answer.

cj_iwakura

Very true - 4p linked on just about any game has a particular social gaming charm to it like a game LAN. I would love to have one setup of 4 racers at my arcade but for the costs.

For the moment, it's the 'vanilla' version of MT5...5DX+ just getting rolled out in Japan.

Not sure about the board but lately most everything by Namco has been PC-based. Dead Heat as I recall was an Intel CPU with an nVidia 9800GT; Mario Kart GP DX was also PC but never received exact specs.

With Daytona, PC is guaranteed but not sure of the spec. It is likely that it's running on the Sega Nu (the more involved Japan was with this, they most likely used an "official" board) but Sega Europe has been known for building whatever PC worked best to get 60FPS such as Europa-R.

I'll definitely ask about them both at IAAPA and hopefully they'll give me an answer.

Wasn't Dead Heat literally just a mod of MT? I could tell by looking at it, even though it was clearly a soulless husk.

Arcadehero

Neo Member
Wasn't Dead Heat literally just a mod of MT? I could tell by looking at it, even though it was clearly a soulless husk.

It was to a degree. The DH team said that they visited the cities used as tracks and accurately mapped the roads to use in the game. I had a conversation with a Bandai Namco Japan guy (he was an American living in Japan, doing some of their localization work on the arcade side) and he explained it like the MT series being the pinnacle of technical/simulator racing and FnF being the exact opposite - "a dumbed down casual racer that is like driving through a theme park". They considered Dead Heat to be an in-between step on the scale; same with the motorcycle one, Dead Heat Riders.

On Daytona, confirmed on Twitter that Specular Interactive (created H2Overdrive, Dirty Drivin, Batman for Raw Thrills) did not work on Daytona 3:

https://twitter.com/SpecularGames/status/793596220388311044

cj_iwakura

It was to a degree. The DH team said that they visited the cities used as tracks and accurately mapped the roads to use in the game. I had a conversation with a Bandai Namco Japan guy (he was an American living in Japan, doing some of their localization work on the arcade side) and he explained it like the MT series being the pinnacle of technical/simulator racing and FnF being the exact opposite - "a dumbed down casual racer that is like driving through a theme park". They considered Dead Heat to be an in-between step on the scale; same with the motorcycle one, Dead Heat Riders.

On Daytona, confirmed on Twitter that Specular Interactive (created H2Overdrive, Dirty Drivin, Batman for Raw Thrills) did not work on Daytona 3:

https://twitter.com/SpecularGames/status/793596220388311044

Well, I'm glad some love went into DH, but I really did not like it. The tracks have no depth, they're mostly straightaways with occasional turns. I'm sure that's not the dev team's fault, though. Sad that's what they thought America expects(and they're probably right).

Arcadehero

Neo Member
Well, I'm glad some love went into DH, but I really did not like it. The tracks have no depth, they're mostly straightaways with occasional turns. I'm sure that's not the dev team's fault, though. Sad that's what they thought America expects(and they're probably right).

Love it or hate it, FnF has been the racing juggernaut in arcades for the past 10 years or so in terms of what operators buy and what people are playing. So DH was certainly a response to try and get a slice of that market...which they sort of managed to do but like you said, it did fall short although I did see an earnings report once (anon. US locations) that put DH ahead of Sega's GRID on the weekly earnings scale.

Speaking of Sega, they have tried pretty hard to get a racer to topple FnF's reign but nothing has really managed it so far over the past decade - Ford Racing, R-Tuned, RaceTV, Sega Racing Classic, Sega Rally 3, HUMMER, Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, GRID, Storm Racer G, Showdown and of course InitialD 4 - Zero. Guess we'll see if Daytona 3 is the one that makes it.

Pachael

Makes me wonder if they got Nagoshi involved. He obviously still works at Sega, but he's also working on Y6 at the moment. Daytona is his baby so i'd think he'd want to work on it.

Think Y6 should be mostly finished and I'd hope that his team are working on Daytona 3 pre-production but having read the PR I'm not optimistic - sega amusements seem like theyre going back to the original game's physics where I'm expecting a refined version of Daytona 2's physics or even F Zero AX's sense of speed

Shaneus

Probably a PC derivative. A broken/crashed Transformers machine (by Sega) was stuck on a Dell POST screen.

Eurogamer got a comment from Sega about it

It's true. All of it. Daytona 3 Championship USA has been confirmed by Sega, with three new tracks joining a revamped recreation of the Daytona International Speedway in a game that's taking its cues from the 1994 original. Up to eight players can link up in the arcade only outing, and a Live TV feature lets bystanders witness key moments in races as they happen.

"This is a game changer," said Patrick Michael, Sega Amusement's head of local R&D. "This is a premium game that delivers on quality, player experience and operator features that sets a very high bar for arcade video racing games. Importantly we have based it on the original game engine that gave us the amazing 'AI' and 'catch up' feeling that we all grew to love."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-01-sega-just-teased-a-new-daytona-usa-for-the-arcade

Who is "we"? I can't get excited about this game until I know who's making it (and if it's not AM2 I'll probably go back to not giving a shit, honestly).

Well Segabits news told tha Sega is gathering members from original team, so this is in-house Sega development

It doesnt need AM2 (who even knows who's left there these days anyway?) Nagoshi is who needs to be there; i'd say its likely he's at least somewhat involved.

Trojan X

Banned
DAYTONA 3 BABY!!!! I'm happy for this as I've been waiting for a sequel for a very long time.

According to the website in case no one has posted it already:

http://www.arcadebelgium.net/t5677-daytona-3-championship-usa

• Daytona 3 Championship USA will feature:
  • 3 remastered courses of original Daytona USA
  • 3 new tracks including modern-era Daytona International Speedway
  • new cars
  • new game modes
  • live in-game camera system displaying players faces
  • based on original game engine
  • music composed by Takenobu Mitsuyoshi
  • party mode for special events
  • up to 8-player link-up
  • 47" LED monitor
  • 27" video marquee with "Live TV" action
  • fully lit cabinet
  • moulded under seat engine
  • Sega-IQ Intelligent Service Menus

Now SEGA. Two words - "Controls, Mechanics". "Controls, Mechanics".

Daytona USA is all about controls and mechanics, everything else is secondary but done to an incredible level. If they want to stay safe, just rip the original Daytona controls. Please don't' screw up like SEGA Rally 3, which was a disaster for the team didn't "get it".

Gonna play Daytona right now to travel down memory .

yyr

While true, just because there's an arcade near you doesn't mean they'll have the game you want to play.

D&B and Round1 generally have the same games in most locations, at least. For example, I'm fairly positive that D&B has Time Crisis 5 chain-wide. I do worry that their more niche games (like DDR) will never see every location, but I don't think we'll have that problem with Daytona 3, considering the series' long-term popularity.

As for Maxi5...

I don't know what their expectations were, but I heard that T7 had long lines for a lot of the time it was at D&B Times Square. PT is not a surprise.

I glad that you're hopeful, and I hope that you're right, but I'm not going to assume anything until I see it for myself. I wonder if it'll be like their rollout of DDR A, where they put it in 30 or so locations and wait for the numbers.

Love it or hate it, FnF has been the racing juggernaut in arcades for the past 10 years or so in terms of what operators buy and what people are playing.

I'm convinced that FnF achieved that success with name recognition alone.

Let's face it: it's just a Cruis'n game. There are no real cars, there are no technical courses, there is virtually nothing that distinguishes it from the prior games other than somewhat better/smoother graphics. Lots of better games have come out since (including from Raw Thrills themselves!) but people continue to play FnF *because* it is called FnF. The name evokes a certain feeling that people like, the game is set up in a way that folks are already familiar with (Cruis'n), and the rest is history. The only way any future game is going to have that kind of success is if they also get the FnF license.

If Namco grabbed that license and released Maxi5 as "The Fast and the Furious 2017" making NO other changes (besides maybe character names and portraits) then it would be all over. Real cars, challenging gameplay, fun versus, the deep 60-chapter story mode, AND the name people are familiar with? Guaranteed success. People would wage fist fights over the damn thing.

Arcadehero

Neo Member
I don't know what their expectations were, but I heard that T7 had long lines for a lot of the time it was at D&B Times Square. PT is not a surprise.

I spoke with a Senior Exec of D&B (Kevin Bacchus, he has done AMA's on Reddit) who said that he heard the same thing from the staff - that there were lines and people going crazy for it but then they would look at the earnings and they weren't matching up with the floor reports.

Namco has been very weird with Tekken after 5. They did release Tekken 6 and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 but did virtually zero marketing for it. Last time I asked them about TTT2 (last year at IAAPA), they said they had a shelves full of TTT2 kits collecting dust. But go to their website and they game is nowhere to be found. All I can do is shrug.

I glad that you're hopeful, and I hope that you're right, but I'm not going to assume anything until I see it for myself. I wonder if it'll be like their rollout of DDR A, where they put it in 30 or so locations and wait for the numbers.

One reason Namco hasn't been very happy with me about MT5 is that I was contacted by a big operator whom I trust a couple of months ago and he was telling me that he had just heard a sales pitch on MT5 from them. They told him that they were only bringing in something like 100 units and requiring a min purchase of 4 units. I passed that along but Namco wanted to say that it wasn't accurate; the op maintained that was what he was told (this is an op who can afford stuff like a quad MT5). I've also heard from others that the 4 min is accurate but now nobody is saying anything about limited stock. So we'll see, I do agree that it will likely be considered after testing.

I'm convinced that FnF achieved that success with name recognition alone.

Let's face it: it's just a Cruis'n game. There are no real cars, there are no technical courses, there is virtually nothing that distinguishes it from the prior games other than somewhat better/smoother graphics. Lots of better games have come out since (including from Raw Thrills themselves!) but people continue to play FnF *because* it is called FnF. The name evokes a certain feeling that people like, the game is set up in a way that folks are already familiar with (Cruis'n), and the rest is history. The only way any future game is going to have that kind of success is if they also get the FnF license.

If Namco grabbed that license and released Maxi5 as "The Fast and the Furious 2017" making NO other changes (besides maybe character names and portraits) then it would be all over. Real cars, challenging gameplay, fun versus, the deep 60-chapter story mode, AND the name people are familiar with? Guaranteed success. People would wage fist fights over the damn thing.

There is some recognition there but it's only on the marquee. If they had actor likenesses in the game or VOs from the FnF movies, then it probably would have made a bigger difference. However, the license expired at the end of 2014 and the company has continued to sell "Super Cars 2" just fine - locations with that version haven't noticed any substantial differences in earnings. Also, they never had the FnF license for Super Bikes 2 but that has managed to outearn the much newer, more technical and licensed MotoGP.

The difference between SB2 and MotoGP really says it all as MotoGP is trying very hard to be that more technical kind of game. It looks better, has closed circuit courses, varied difficulty, free online features, more hardware (camera+wind blower) but everyone I've talked to that have both games say that they would rather buy more SB2s.

I think it ultimately boils down to the Cruis'n formula. It's intuitive and easy to approach; easy to pull off the "tricks" and the cars hit their particular appeal market. I'm surprised that both Namco and Sega haven't tried to emulate the formula a little more since it seems to consistently guarantee success in this market.

Back to Daytona, it should be interesting to see if recreating that original feel and formula with the sleeker graphics package is what Sega has needed to do. I imagine if it is successful then perhaps we'll see them do that with some of their other classic racers instead of continued console-to-arcade ports.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
this is cool, but clearly something that would bomba hard on consoles. would rather sega give us a console geared sequel loaded with content and modes, but i dont see that happening...

Raitaro

BRING OUTRUN BACK TOO SEGAAA

My thoughts exactly.

I'm actually starting to think that chances for an Outrun 3 have not been higher for ages now that Daytona and Cruisn' are coming back and after Yu Suzuki mentioned he'd be willing to work on it (after Shenmue 3...).

Bio-Frost

My thoughts exactly.

I'm actually starting to think that chances for an Outrun 3 have not been higher for ages now that Daytona and Cruisn' are coming back and after Yu Suzuki mentioned he'd be willing to work on it (after Shenmue 3...).
This so much! I still play the pc version of Outrun 2 at least once a week. Nothing else quite matches the feel of Outrun.

Top Bottom