• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Disgaea 3 trailer on PSN looks awesome, long live 2d console gaming!

theultimo

FoxSpirit said:
If I gathered this right the sprites are still lo-res :-(
I haven't seen a N1 game that was hi-res. Honestly, I don't care. Its Disgaea. The heart of this game always has been the battle system.

Bebpo

Banned
Oneself said:
Gameplay looks great.. but there shouldn't be any praise for the graphics. Low res sprites on top of bad textures, applied to extremely low geometry. For 2D, go play Odin Sphere, realize that it's a PS2 game, then come back here.

I think N1 games look way better than Odin Sphere. IMO high-res 2d is overrated and worthless because 9.9/10 times high-res 2d animates like shit compared to low-res 2d and animation is really what matters in 2d. Look at all that sprite variety in the D3 trailer, and all the little animations. OS has a bunch of enemies that all look the same and everyone has stiff animations...yuck.

SFIII looks a million times better than any Guilty Gear.

Just watched it on gametrailers

Did I just see a prinny gun? Ultimate Weapon confirmed!! Also love that one "arm" weapon the white haired girl was using.

:D at 1:01 Total Damage = 436,925,960

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Watched it on Gametrailers.
But I have a quick question, the game looks crazy and really deep so will an rpg n00b like myself enjoy playing this game?
Is there a good story mode or something that'll keep me interested.

theultimo

Was looking for some more info, and I didn't know if this was posted:

Cover Art for D3

071026_dis3_04.jpg

This is going to be nothing but awesome and win and rainbows.

Also it was completely impossible for me to watch this and not think to myself.. "Where is Mittermeyer? And why did you really betray Reinhard"

RTS83

Is this an action-RPG or what? I'm confuzzled...

Also, low-res sprites ftl, but I can manage because the game looks awesome.

Kyoufu

Amannamederic said:

Also, low-res sprites ftl, but I can manage because the game looks awesome.

Simulation RPG.

Like FFTactics, Jeanne D'arc etc.

Danj

Amannamederic said:

Have you been living under a rock the past few years? I thought everybody had at least heard of Disgaea, even if they didn't like it. It's an SRPG.

I agree with you about the sprites though, if they're going to put a game like this on PS3 they should at least take the effort to upgrade the sprites to HD levels.

haowan

The PS2 was capable of higher-res sprites than those used in Disgaea, I'm sure. Doesn't mean that is the best idea. I'd rather they got the game out with as many unit types as possible than fuck around making the graphics high-res. They have enough character as it is.

actually, after playing FF tactics that looks good graphically, but thats the only other srpg I ve to compare it too...anyway, Im actually quite interested in this...how does the series match up to ff tactics... is it also a battle engine with a story?

Steroyd

Kaako said:
Watched it on Gametrailers.
But I have a quick question, the game looks crazy and really deep so will an rpg n00b like myself enjoy playing this game?
Is there a good story mode or something that'll keep me interested.

That's the awesome thing about Disgaea, on the outer layer it's a n00bified SRPG with a good storyline (D1 > D2 in terms of storyline), yet you can delve deep into the game and there's something for the hardcore gamer to enjoy.

Kyoufu

nelsonroyale said:
actually, after playing FF tactics that looks good graphically, but thats the only other srpg I ve to compare it too...anyway, Im actually quite interested in this...how does the series match up to ff tactics... is it also a battle engine with a story?

Well its not as punishing as FFT. Its easier to get into and VERY addictive. Its so addicting that at the end of this Disgaea 3 trailer, the narrator says not to play it for too long because you will get sick lol.

FOUR MILLION HOURS OF GAMEPLAY!

duckroll

Nippon Ichi SRPGs are the GTAs of SRPGs. They're never really balanced properly, and the idea is to give the player a gazillion options to have fun with, lots of optional content, and huge growing numbers. If you're in it for real strategy and balanced tactical combat, look elsewhere. If you want to find out how you fare in a Prinny court judging you for your sins against Item World, sign up now. :p

I love Disgea, but I'm really dissapointed with that trailer. Its the same damn game engine that they've been usuing for how many games now? 5?

Durante

haowan said:
I'll buy a PS3 for this.
Signed.

TheRagnCajun said:
I love Disgea, but I'm really dissapointed with that trailer. Its the same damn game engine that they've been usuing for how many games now? 5?
No it's not. I won't go into detail or say more about this because this is the first Disgaea 3 thread that hasn't been a total trainwreck so far.

Chorazin

I am addicted to Afternoon of Darkness, and I just got Disgaea 2 in the mail yesterday, so by the time D3 is translated and released in the US I will be champing at the bit to play it.

lorddct

Thanks for the heads up about the trailer. The game just looks awesome!!!!! I am really hyped about the game and the battle sprites look even more crazy than before. Can't wait for this to be translated. If only they could have done an english localization, I would so have imported come January :(.

Durante said:
Signed.

No it's not. I won't go into detail or say more about this because this is the first Disgaea 3 thread that hasn't been a total trainwreck so far.

Well UI is the same, the art is the same, the level of detail is marginally improved at best. I'm not doubting that the gameplay elements are different, but it just looks like they took 80% of the assets from Disgea 1 and exported it into 5 other games.

theultimo

Just noticed that they have the pirate ships from D2. Great. Another 200+ hour grind for maps. (The ONLY part i really hated about D2)

madara

Bebpo said:
I think N1 games look way better than Odin Sphere.

I just fainted from shock. Truly worthy of your tag :lol

Not to mention you must only play the import as presentation and VA from Atlus with Disgaea 1 and Odin Sphere is so many leagues over what nippon did with D2 I wouldnt know where to start and that affects my enjoyment quite a bit being a decade plus out of my teen years.

theultimo

madara said:
Not really. Odin Sphere might look good in SS form, but the biggest problem is the clunky animation. N1 has the smoothest animation I've ever seen.

madara

theultimo said:
Not really. Odin Sphere might look good in SS form, but the biggest problem is the clunky animation. N1 has the smoothest animation I've ever seen.

Really? I played that game for like 35hrs and I dont have the foggiest clue what guys are talking about it, slowdown yes, clunky animation I guess you need better then 20/20 vision to see. I dont think EGM would give a 2D game such a score if was that bad. Ponders..

zoku88

madara said:

Not to mention you must only play the import as presentation and VA from Atlus with Disgaea 1 and Odin Sphere is so many leagues over what nippon did with D2 I wouldnt know where to start and that affects my enjoyment quite a bit being a decade plus out of my teen years.
I read that too. I was like "wth?" You can basically count the pixels on N1 sprites (a bit of an exaggeration.)

theultimo

madara said:
Really? I played that game for like 35hrs and I dont have the foggiest clue what guys are talking about it, slowdown yes, clunky animation I guess you need better then 20/20 vision to see. I dont think EGM would give a 2D game such a score if was that bad. Ponders..
Odin Sphere:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xynxGDuId74
Notice the clunky transition between animations (attacking, enemies, etc.)

Disgaea 2 Mid-Boss/Dark Adonis Battle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiWcq6cdqF4
N1 animates seamless transition between attacks, fights, etc. Also, a ton more animation in attacks, defense, etc.

(Although it is a bit nit picky)

I don't see why people are upset about the graphics. I wouldn't expect anything else from N1 and personally the only thing that really would be missing is high definition sprites. But honestly, how else can a Disgaea game really look?

Zoe

rotaryspirit said:
I don't see why people are upset about the graphics. I wouldn't expect anything else from N1 and personally the only thing that really would be missing is high definition sprites. But honestly, how else can a Disgaea game really look?

As someone brand new to the series, it's just really jarring seeing the low-res sprites against the other sharp graphics.

zoku88

rotaryspirit said:
The thing is, it just seems like they're being lazy. I mean, aren't they even recycling sprites in this one?

Bebpo

Banned
zoku88 said:
The thing is, it just seems like they're being lazy. I mean, aren't they even recycling sprites in this one?

They recycle in most of their games while adding a lot of new sprites as well. Just lets the games get bigger with more sprite variety.

I just wish this was a downloadable game. I think the mainstream would be way more receptive to it as a downloadable title unless it was too highly priced.

Bebpo

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I just wish this was a downloadable game. I think the mainstream would be way more receptive to it as a downloadable title unless it was too highly priced.

But downloadable games sell bad compared to disc games since they sell to a very limited audience who have internet and know how to buy games online.

Plus Disgaea is an otaku game. That means it's the kind of game that people buy the LE versions of and put the fancy packaging on their shelves.

Also don't forget that Japan is a country all about selling their used games after beating them. Can't do that with online titles. Same with bringing it to a friends house.

There's a reason Sony expects the online GT5 Prologue to sell 1/5th of the retail version.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Steroyd said:
That's the awesome thing about Disgaea, on the outer layer it's a n00bified SRPG with a good storyline (D1 > D2 in terms of storyline), yet you can delve deep into the game and there's something for the hardcore gamer to enjoy.
I see. Maybe I'll pick it up after all if what you say is true. I saw the video with the crazy ass combos and my jaw hit the floor, and I was kinda intimidated.
Thanks for the response Steroyd.

Shrubbery

Some of those attack animations are insane, which is nice, but I know I will be turning them off eventually after I've seen them a few times. It seems such a waste they put so much effort into them only for people to turn them off eventually to speed things up :D

What intrigues me most are those destructing block sequences (starting at 2:40 in the video). Is this some new puzzle-like mechanic in the item world to have fun with? I can well remember being addicted to exploiting geo panels in IW to get long combos and huge bonuses in D1, so while I'm sure that will still be in D3 if they are adding something else new I'm very interested. In fact, in D1, it got to the point where I started thinking that the Item World was the main focus of the game and story was just the side dish! :lol

Also, the question is bound to be asked sooner or later, but have they revealed which cameo characters from other N1 games will be in this one and if so which are playable?

zoku88 said:

Oh, I think they are most definitely being lazy. But I have to imagine this goes through their minds.

1) Spend hours creating millions of brand new sprites
2) Spend hours creating millions of ways to level up weapons, characters, and making insanely long dungeons.

Zoe

Do you have to play each installment of the series to get the plot, or is each game self-contained?

lorddct

Anyone have gotten their hands on this game yet? I want to know how it fars to the others, story wise/ and gameplay wise.

Top Bottom