• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New DmC: Devil May Cry preview, pretty positive

jett

D-Member
From Gamesradar

A day's worth of impressions according to them:

http://www.gamesradar.com/dmc-devil-may-cry-hands-on-6-ways-it-improves-original-series/

Control changes additions:

New control scheme
This is a more accessible game in the literal sense, not the dirty, casual-baiting Super Wii Party Family Sports Collection meaning of the word. Dante can still launch, juggle, evade, grapple and air-combo with just as much precision as before, and the ability to do so is still utterly demanded. It’s just that the ability to execute all of the above now feels far more immediately to hand.

The more modern control scheme no longer requires you to contort your fingers to do a simple attack.

New weapon changing system

Separate horizontal and vertical melee swipe inputs make launches, down-strikes, juggles and crowd control much more immediate and instinctive. The ability to equip two different melee weapons at a time, activating each for as long as the left or right trigger is held, makes tactical switch-ups and extravagantly varied combos second nature in no time.

I really can't see how haters can disagree with the addition of this system, it makes weapon changing immediate and natural, you don't have to move your thumb over to the dpad anymore and cycle through weapons.

New pulling/grabbing system
Ditto the use of trigger modifiers for Dante’s two complimentary long-range grabs, one of which pulls enemies towards him, the other of which zips him towards them. The system seriously empowers the air-game, giving it a freer, rangier sense of creative spatial control than before, creating a feeling of almost pulling apart and reconfiguring the battle from within.

An expansion over the grab system of DMC4, mixes it up with how the grab works in GOW3, using both at the same time. It's a cool idea, I think.

Improved platforming
Devil May Cry could always be a bit jarring when it came to breaking up the combat. Platforming and puzzle diversions often felt like uneasy token gestures, stapled to the games as an afterthought and breaking their flow rather abruptly. In DmC though, everything feels absolutely right. Dante’s jumping controls are much smoother now and, coupled with his slick, tactile grapple abilities and smooth air-dash, they make exploration almost as appealing a prospect as the game’s core demon-battery.

I don't see how anyone can argue with this either, the platforming sections in every single game in the series has been putrid trash, this is one section of DmC that appears to be unmistakeably superior.

There's some other stuff about visuals/music/story in the article.

Carbonox

I'm looking forward to this. I will be taking it in on its own merits rather than comparing it with the previous games from the offset, until I really tear it apart from within and explore every facet of the gameplay. It looks like a competent, enjoyable and visually impressive (from an environmental and artistic standpoint) action title.

I'd be surprised if it was a shit game at this point but I've been wrong in the past so I will go in with a level head.

This and Metal Gear Rising will do me for several months.

ezekial45

Banned
Very nice. here are all the new videos released from yesterday and today. The game is looking really damn good.

Virility Factory
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eZbQ_Vb1B3o#!

Bloodline
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdbq_e1B4AE

Home Truths
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A1tG1y_pf4

And some new concept art
578353_422640477801989_114585393_n.jpg

394094_422640424468661_1932899782_n.jpg

12706_422640187802018_15533737_n.jpg

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Yeah, it was real difficult holding R1 before. :/

Rather needlessly antagonistic OP post. It'll be nice when both sides around this game can have a civil discussion without calling someone a hater.

Lord Phol

Looking good, I really hope this game turns out well for the studios sake. Even if the hardcore dmc fans will rain down hate upon it.

jett

D-Member
Yeah, it was real difficult holding R1 before. :/

Rather needlessly antagonistic OP post. It'll be nice when both sides around this game can have a civil discussion without calling someone a hater.

Well, it's not difficult, but it's far from ideal that you have to hold down a button, hold backwards on the stick, and then press another button to do something as simple and basic as a juggle launcher. In DmC you just press a single button and that's it.

Draft

This game is looking good. Never understood the absolute hate it gets and this is coming from a day 1 DMC fan...
Do you huff gas? How hard is it to understand a fanbase being upset when the original God tier action franchise is handed off to a shit tier action developer like Ninja Theory?

I'm not sure I've ever wanted a game to bomb as badly as this one.

Still I'll give it a rent just to experience the awesomeness of improved platforming in a combat oriented action game.

Do you huff gas? How hard is it to understand a fanbase being upset when the original God tier action franchise is handed off to a shit tier action developer like Ninja Theory?

Really? Do I huff gas?

How about no. I play a SHIT ton of games, and find enjoyment in alot of underlooked and under rated titles. The fact that you even call Ninja Theory a shit tier action developer tells me I can't even take your opinions with a grain of salt. "I can already tell. Looks like this is gonna be one hell of a party!"

Curufinwe

The action in Enslaved was laggy shit. Not sure why you're so surprised.

New weapon changing system

I really can't see how haters can disagree with the addition of this system, it makes weapon changing immediate and natural, you don't have to move your thumb over to the dpad anymore and cycle through weapons.

In the DMC 3 and 4 you just tapped a shoulder button to change weapons. When did we have to reach over to the D-pad to cycle thru weapons?

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Well, it's not difficult, but it's far from ideal that you have to hold down a button, hold backwards on the stick, and then press another button to do something as simple and basic as a juggle launcher. In DmC you just press a single button and that's it.

:-/

Sounds like NT gameplay to me... for sure. Not to say things need to be needlessly complicated but just watching videos and reading things like this make me think if I blindly shot 60 bucks at this game I would be done with it in a day and seriously regret my purchase.

One button juggles all day er-day - super nero grabbing - weapon swapping ALL THE TOOLS FOR BADASSERY ... none of the challenge.

Hope i'm wrong.

Draft

Really? Do I huff gas?

How about no. I play a SHIT ton of games, and find enjoyment in alot of underlooked and under rated titles. The fact that you even call Ninja Theory a shit tier action developer tells me I can't even take your opinions with a grain of salt. "I can already tell. Looks like this is gonna be one hell of a party!"
Since you like bad games the latest banger from Ninja Theory will be right up your alley.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The more modern control scheme no longer requires you to contort your fingers to do a simple attack.

When did you have to use the D-pad to switch weapons before? Styles in DMC4, maybe, but weapon switches were always handled with a deft trigger pull.

The platforming will surely be better. Everything else in the article is incredibly subjective, from the visuals to the music. The controls we'll have to see how much control is compromised for the sake of easy accessibility.

They made an action game that has input lag as high as 300ms. By comparison, 60fps games like DMC typically have 66ms of input lag.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's not as if Capcom has been god tier as of late, though. ;)

I understand the concern, however. For those of us that like but didn't love previous DMC games, however, this actually looks pretty appealing. They did a lot of good things in their previous works but their games were hampered by simplistic mechanics and performance issues. While some people take that to mean that DmC will suffer from those same issues, I believe enough care is being put into this new game that we might actually end up with something that features both typical Ninja Theory strengths in addition to vastly improved core gameplay mechanics. I see a real opportunity for a great game here.

They could definitely drop the ball, of course, but I'm hopeful. The fact that there will be a PC version as well helps make up for lack of 60 fps on consoles at least.

ezekial45

Banned
The action in Enslaved was laggy shit. Not sure why you're so surprised.
This game is not Enslaved.

In the DMC 3 and 4 you just tapped a shoulder button to change weapons. When did we have to reach over to the D-pad to cycle thru weapons?

You had to do so for Dante's style switch. The hardcore managed just fine with that.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
who here is still convinced the game will be awful because of dante's haircut?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
:-/

Sounds like NT gameplay to me... for sure. Not to say things need to be needlessly complicated but just watching videos and reading things like this make me think if I blindly shot 60 bucks at this game I would be done with it in a day and seriously regret my purchase.

One button juggles all day er-day - super nero grabbing - weapon swapping ALL THE TOOLS FOR BADASSERY ... none of the challenge.

Hope i'm wrong.

The hell is this shit. Bayonetta's controls, were barely complicated at all, are you going to say that game was bad? The game may be bad but I doubt THE control scheme will be the reason.

Since you like bad games the latest banger from Ninja Theory will be right up your alley.

"You don't agree with me?

Must have shit taste"

Like come on. This game might suck balls but just because he's excited for it doesn't mean he likes bad games.

Curufinwe

You had to do so for Dante's style switch. The hardcore managed just fine with that.

I had some trouble with it on the PC version of DMC 4 because the D-pad on the 360 pad is so unreliable, but that wasn't the game's fault.

But as it stands, this is just a lie.

you don't have to move your thumb over to the dpad anymore and cycle through weapons.

The best thing about this article is that they're mixing up the battle music, so we won't have to hear THE FLINCH IN YOUR EYE CALLS YOUR BLUFF/FEEL FREE TO DROWN WHEN YOU'VE HAD ENOUGH every.single.time.

Curufinwe

Cycling thru all the weapons with the D-pad does suck... in Resident Evil 6. But it is not something that has been a part of any Devil May Cry games I've ever played, and I've played all three of them.

Draft

It's not as if Capcom has been god tier as of late, though. ;)
Yup. Frankly, the latter half of the HD generation hasn't been kind to the action genre. Ninja Gaiden is now garbage, DMC is almost certainly going to become garbage, and Bayonetta is being made by Nintendo.

Nintendo!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm also not too keen on the enemy design. The opinion piece in the OP speaks of the disturbing nature of the enemies, but I really don't see it. They look like Silent Hill rejects covered in tar.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
The hell is this shit. Bayonetta's controls, were barely complicated at all, are you going to say that game was bad? The game may be bad but I doubt THE control scheme will be the reason.

So Bayo had 1 button air lifts and streamlined enemy steps/air cancels to go along with slow mo time and feels like 60?

I never knew.

Curufinwe

Yup. Frankly, the latter half of the HD generation hasn't been kind to the action genre. Ninja Gaiden is now garbage, DMC is almost certainly going to become garbage, and Bayonetta is being made by Nintendo.

Nintendo!

Still made by Platinum, just published by Nintendo.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Also, why is this a new thread? New threads for new news, but this isn't really news at all. None of the information provided in the article is new, it simply includes an opinion along with it.

Top Bottom