• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New DriveClub build shows improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeki11a

Banned
Define interesting.

Motorstorm

Need For Speed

The Crew

All have a Point it isnt just driving around in
Closed tracks, they have a meaning to them

When I see Drive Club it has no point to it
Just driving in closed tracks.

Pretty sure these devs have made wayyy more interesting Racing Games...wtf is Drive Club about?, what is it doing to push the genre further?

Motorstorm Apocalypse to :p

msa_supercar_crash778d.gif

Holy shit, never noticed.

Obviously GT6 was somewhat hyperbolic, but the game was delayed for a reason. I'm not sure what they're claiming that was, but logically, every playable showing has been criticized for looking very underwhelming.

Classic case of being honest and getting shit on around every turn for actually showing the game as it currently stands, in early development, with no strings attached.

Motorstorm

Need For Speed

The Crew

Pretty sure these devs have made wayyy more interesting Racing Games...wtf is Drive Club about?, what is it doing to push the genre further?

To me it just sounds like you think that a racing game needs some sort of gimmick to be interesting. What's wrong with just pure racing? You, your friends (or AI) and the open road? No mods, just pure skill and course memorization to determine who the best driver is.

So, that's what excites me about DRIVECLUB. It's kinda a throwback to the 90's racers where you just pick a car, a track and you started racing. There was nothing else to worry about. Those games just focused on having incredibly handling models and fantastic course designs to keep people wanting to come back. And maybe in some ways that's why the genre has faltered in recent years. Developers started thinking the only way to make an interesting racer was to include things that weren't necessarily important to racing. Maybe what the genre really does need is just a game that's about racing in beautiful environments and nothing more.

Loudninja

Motorstorm

Need For Speed

The Crew

Its a racing game you are not making sense.

The game is about team driving.

Joeki11a

Banned
Still dont get why people are gawking at Evolution visuals when clearly Kaz GT ps4 is the only game deserving of that stuff.

Guess they cant find the point of interest for "Drive Club" and are all into it just for the graphics smh.

Motorstorm

Need For Speed

The Crew

I don't really play racing games online, but this is the first game that I really want to try the online. I like what they're doing with it, having club versus, and segmenting the tracks into various little challenge and your accumulated score is added to the team score to determine winner.

I'm not a hardcore racer guy, when I tried GT5 or Motorstorm online, they passed me so fast that it felt like I'm playing single player, in online shooter like Killzone or CoD, even if you're not very good at them you can still get lucky shot now and then. not so in racing games.

making the tracks into various little challenge give me the feel that I'm still participating and contributing to the club match. also by bringing up the tricky corner or section of the track as challenges, it'd make it easier to memorize the track and give you incentive to be better at them since every challenge will sort of have their own leaderboard, you can easily try a challenge and see if you're doing it better or worse, if it's better, you know what works, if it's worse, you can try different approach. all in all, I felt this system will train you to be a better player.

viveks86

Motorstorm

Need For Speed

The Crew

The ghost of Ayrton Senna would like to have a word with you :)

Joeki11a

Banned

I seen driving games with a meaning to them,
Drive Club has no identity or meaning to it, also again whh are people gawking at the graphics? Evolution aint known for that.

Is it trying to be a closed tracks version of The Crew? Is that it?.

Still dont get why people are gawking at Evolution visuals when clearly Kaz GT ps4 is the only game deserving of that stuff.

Guess they cant find the point of interest for "Drive Club" and are all into it just for the graphics smh.

The point of interest is racing against either AI or your friends on the PS4 with beautiful cars, in beautiful environments. It's to have fun.

jett

D-Member
I don't know who is more foolish, the guy clearly craving for attention or the people giving it to him.

Joeki11a

Banned
The point of interest is racing against either AI or your friends on the PS4 with beautiful cars, in beautiful environments. It's to have fun.

I dont know about you but GT is there for that,
Evolution needed to do make this like a Motorstorm game or beyond that concept.

Why go after a concept Kaz/GT have lead in
For PS racing gaming?.

Drive Club has no identity or meaning to it, also again whh are people gawking at the graphics? Evolution aint known for that.

What the hell? What's this "meaning" you speak of?

I mean, what's special about The Crew? It's just open world racing. Sure, you can race across the US, but here you can race all over the world, participating in club events and racing against other clubs.

When you get right down to it, racing games should be about racing, which is exactly what this game is about.

So please, don't reply with "meaning this" or "meaning that". At least try to explain your argument.

I have feeling the team in driveclub will be amazing, I think we can only have 12 people per team? so we'll end up with multiple team on Gaf alone, we can have team tourney on gaf, and let's not forget potential drama if a gaffer switch team and all. lol

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Motorstorm

Need For Speed

The Crew

idXDeUO4L3Ia9.png

Joeki11a

Banned
What the hell? What's this "meaning" you speak of?

I mean, what's special about The Crew? It's just open world racing. Sure, you can race across the US, but here you can race all over the world, participating in club events and racing against other clubs.

When you get right down to it, racing games should be about racing, which is exactly what this game is about.

So please, don't reply with "meaning this" or "meaning that". At least try to explain your argument.

I guess I should say Concept, clearly The Crew has a vision and Concept that makes it unique and interesting.

So whats the vision of Drive Club because at this point it looks like closed track bland driving around pretty worlds graphics, so thats it? How is this pushing the racing genre next gen exactly?.

I dunno guys, I think he has a point. Evolution really need to fix the interesting and meaning on level 5. And I never understood why Sony released Wipeout HD on the PS3 either. Why do you need ANOTHER closed circuit racing game when there's GT? It makes no sense.

I guess I should say Concept, clearly The Crew has a vision and Concept that makes it unique and interesting. So whats the vision of Drive Club because at this point it looks like closed track bland driving around pretty worlds graphics, so thats it? How is this pushing the genre next gen exactly?.

US PlayStation said:
DRIVECLUB™ brings to life the heart and soul of car culture. An incredibly authentic and immersive driving experience, DRIVECLUB™ lets you feel the exhilaration of racing the most powerful and beautifully designed cars in the world, all rendered in staggering detail, inside and out. Share in the thrill and excitement of high-speed solo racing, or join a racing Club to discover what DRIVECLUB™ is all about. Created specifically with the next-generation gamer in mind, DRIVECLUB™ connects you and your friends, allowing you to share your experiences, send and receive challenges, and keep up to speed with your team’s performance.

GHG

Now wipeout has been mentioned in this thread...dafuq?? I've seen it all now. Its a completely different genre...

Evolution pack up and go home. GAF are saying there's no point to your game and that you should cancel it all together.

Please don't listen to these fools. We need a game like this that is just about racing. The world has missed something like this since pgr4.

Joeki11a

Banned

Most of that was talking about visuals and details, I do remember the reveal the dev was excited more about the visuals than anything else. Also thought racing gameplay was the most important aspect of a racing game.

Even those recent Codemasters racing games
Have their identity and meaning to them, I still dont see the point of interest
For Drive Club sorry, great amazing
Graphics dont make up a great authentic racing game.

I will try it out on PS+ and all that but I see it as a game that hasnt been defined
Yet probably one of the reasons why it was delayed.

I guess I should say Concept, clearly The Crew has a vision and Concept that makes it unique and interesting.

So whats the vision of Drive Club because at this point it looks like closed track bland driving around pretty worlds graphics, so thats it? How is this pushing the racing genre next gen exactly?.
I believe its about Driving in a Club

I guess I should say Concept, clearly The Crew has a vision and Concept that makes it unique and interesting. So whats the vision of Drive Club because at this point it looks like closed track bland driving around pretty worlds graphics, so thats it? How is this pushing the genre next gen exactly?.

the online part is the vision of the game, it's focused on teams/clubs/clans for racing game.

GHG

Most of that was talking about visuals and details, I do remember the reveal the dev was excited more about the visuals than anything else. Also thought racing gameplay was the most important aspect of a racing game.

Even those recent Codemasters racing games
Have their identity and meaning to them, I still dont see the point of interest
For Drive Club sorry, great amazing
Graphics dont make up a great authentic racing game.

You lose all credibility as soon as you reference Codemasters' racing games as something to aspire to.

This game is about having authentic racing experiences in groups. Fast cars, interesting tracks/locales.

If you don't get excited by that then this isn't the game for you unfortunately.

Now wipeout has been mentioned in this thread...dafuq?? I've seen it all now. Its a completely different genre...

Evolution pack up and go home. GAF are saying there's no point to your game and that you should cancel it all together.

Please don't listen to these fools. We need a game like this that is just about racing. The world has missed something like this since pgr4.

How does sarcasm work? Genuinely curious.

Joeki11a

Banned
the online part is the vision of the game, it's focused on teams/clubs/clans for racing game.

I get that but this isnt a concept you just present and move on, it has to be defined and taken further into something meaningful that cant be done by anybody else, something
Unique.

Pretty sure the next GTon PS3 can have this Clubs concept as one of its online features.

Now stuff like what The Crew is doing thats the clubs concept taken to an amazing level,
If Drive Club was that then It would be interesting shocking exclusive gaming.

Chakan

Played the game on BGS and I think that it was a good call to delay its launch.

The game still needs a lot of work.

Trolling aside, the heart of this game for me is these incredible environments. They seem to have as much focus and character as the landscapes in the Lord of the Rings.

Exquisitely rendered car models are not a new idea. nor are social elements like clubs and challenges.

But give me those crazy detailed car models and some beastly audio with that lighting on those roads, and I'm all good. Assuming the driving model has the depth they say it does.

Gaz_RB

Trolling aside, the heart of this game for me is these incredible environments. They seem to have as much focus and character as the landscapes in the Lord of the Rings.

Exquisitely rendered car models are not a new idea. nor are social elements like clubs and challenges.

But give me those crazy detailed car models and some beastly audio with that lighting on those roads, and I'm all good. Assuming the driving model has the depth they say it does.

This is the same way I feel. Gonna be amazing just driving around the tracks. I'm glad they delayed it so it can be the best it can be

That Norway track made me think of Troll Hunter.

I really want to like this game, so I'll keep following these updates with cautious optimism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom