• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New DriveClub build shows improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

demolitio

This game has to be harshest judged so far for the start of the new generation. I can get some of the complaints, but to say the game lacks identity or a vision when they've already precisely explained their vision that's just not going to be seen in short gameplay videos seems quite early. To say that it's no different than GT6 or looks worse than GT6 is ABSURD. and to say every other game has a point to them except for DC when they're all RACING GAMES is weird when you're comparing DC to games that we don't really even know a lot about yet they automatically have a vision unlike DC when their visions are very similar to begin with.

Still though, to say this game is just for the graphics or for the people that say it doesn't even look good, you really can't win. They wrote this game off a long time ago no matter what and I don't know why. I don't know if DC will be good or not, but I'm sure as hell not going to write it off as a game lacking vision when it seems pretty clear to me and so little of the game has been shown...

Maybe I'm just a little less cynical when it comes to games or because I've liked Evo's games in the past, but I don't get how so many people are against it right from the start, especially if they're going to be able to try it for free.

Would I have loved another crazy game like MS: Apocalypse? Of course, especially if the 3D could hit 720p with all those crazy effects. :D Does that mean that DC will automatically be disappointing? Hell no!

This game has to be harshest judged so far for the start of the new generation. I can get some of the complaints, but to say the game lacks identity or a vision when they've already precisely explained their vision that's just not going to be seen in short gameplay videos seems quite early. To say that it's no different than GT6 or looks worse than GT6 is ABSURD. and to say every other game has a point to them except for DC when they're all RACING GAMES is weird when you're comparing DC to games that we don't really even know a lot about yet they automatically have a vision unlike DC when their visions are very similar to begin with.

Still though, to say this game is just for the graphics or for the people that say it doesn't even look good, you really can't win. They wrote this game off a long time ago no matter what and I don't know why. I don't know if DC will be good or not, but I'm sure as hell not going to write it off as a game lacking vision when it seems pretty clear to me and so little of the game has been shown...

Maybe I'm just a little less cynical when it comes to games or because I've liked Evo's games in the past, but I don't get how so many people are against it right from the start, especially if they're going to be able to try it for free.

Would I have loved another crazy game like MS: Apocalypse? Of course, especially if the 3D could hit 720p with all those crazy effects. :D Does that mean that DC will automatically be disappointing? Hell no!

*cough* Knack. I only hear people complain about it.

KZObsessed

Yeah this looks amazing. Just a shame the driving has no meaning...

Hope we get some kind of weather effects. Maybe they could add meaning???

confused-laugh-o.gif

BigDug13

I'm.....not quite sure what you're saying here. Meaning to driving in a racing video game outside of winning races?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The whole meaning discussion is funny to me since I'm not interested in this as a racing game, just a driving game. I'm not much of a racing game fan so being able to just download the PS+ version of this, turn off the HUD, and drive around a track alone while taking in the lovely environments sounds nice.

Zep

Banned
Shouldn't the side-view mirror be completely gone after that collision? Not a big deal honestly but it looks like the other car hits it flush.

Looks amazing. Seems Evo just needed a few months to get things where they want them to be, hence the delay, and this tease shows their traditional Late In Development Everything Comes Together And Looks Stunning process.

The upcoming improvements sound great as well, but for me, the best thing this new vid does is show the game has a sense of speed. To date, it's all been a bit Driving Miss Daisy. Now we can feel that sense of hurtling around a track. The new motion blur helps a lot.

Point of a racing game? I don't know, to drive a car and have fun, maybe. Remember when it was simply enough for games to be Fun, without attention deficit disorder devices like XP and Perks?

TheCloser

Banned
Motorstorm

Need For Speed

The Crew

All have a Point it isnt just driving around in
Closed tracks, they have a meaning to them

When I see Drive Club it has no point to it
Just driving in closed tracks.

Pretty sure these devs have made wayyy more interesting Racing Games...wtf is Drive Club about?, what is it doing to push the genre further?
This is truly one of the stupidest things I've read on far. Congratulations on moving up to second place in the race for rubbish posts. You're just trailing the guy who said, "sound is a crutch to games and they would be better off without it."

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Motorstorm

Need For Speed

The Crew

All have a Point it isnt just driving around in
Closed tracks, they have a meaning to them

When I see Drive Club it has no point to it
Just driving in closed tracks.

Pretty sure these devs have made wayyy more interesting Racing Games...wtf is Drive Club about?, what is it doing to push the genre further?
You know what? No, I can't agree with you. Why? Simple.

There simply are not enough genuine racing games out there. This past generation was saddled with far too many racers which attempted to "be unique" and, as a result, none of them hold the pick up and play appeal of great arcade racers. I was just playing Daytona 2 a couple weeks back and thinking, man, what else was released this gen that allows me to focus on shaving seconds from my time and focusing on the driving. Not many.

Drive Club has its own hooks but the core gameplay seems classic and streamlined.

Fredrik

The upside to delays :) preorder still active. I want confirmation that they're still trying to hit that 60fps target though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, that new motion blur is infinitely better. What a huge improvement. This was an area of weakness for Motorstorm as well (in comparison to other PS360 titles which made heavy use of blur). This looks really slick.

I never had a problem with the delay. The truth of the matter is that this holiday season is crowded in terms of racing titles and if they felt like they needed more time then Sony should have had no problem granting it. And they did.

KZObsessed

Now this...This is the sense of speed I was looking for! Those other videos are mind-numbingly dull compared to this one. This makes me wanna buy it day 1.

Agreed. Didn't help that all the other footage was just a time trial with one ghost car. Evolution are great at creating aggressive A.I. like in the Motorstorm games, and that A.I. looks pretty aggressive there. A full blown 12 car race looks like it could be really exciting. I hope they take all the time they need.

FranXico

Agreed. Didn't help that all the other footage was just a time trial with one ghost car. Evolution are great at creating aggressive A.I. like in the Motorstorm games, and that A.I. looks pretty aggressive there. A full blown 12 car race looks like it could be really exciting. I hope they take all the time they need.

I think a lot of people used to complain about the rubberband AI of MotorStorm games.

Afrikan

I think a lot of people used to complain about the rubberband AI of MotorStorm games.

I know many hated it, but I've always felt Motorstorm was made for that approach...for all the crashes and vehicle deformation and carnage. They should've had options to turn it off fro those gamers who hated it.

What the hell does that even mean? You drive to win the race and have fun? What, do you expect some sort of enlightenment or something?

But yes, I do hope we get weather effects.

To all those suddenly looking for "meaning", this is all I have to say to you:

answer.png

You know, you are my favorite junior (and I don't mean that in a condescending way).

KZObsessed

Yeah, but you can create aggressive A.I. without rubberbanding. That was just a choice as the Motorstorm games were about chaos all around you at all times. DriveClub isn't that sort of game so hopefully they don't go down the rubberbanding route, it wouldn't make much sense here.

What the hell does that even mean? You drive to win the race and have fun? What, do you expect some sort of enlightenment or something

Enlightenment! Yes! That's what this game needs more of thanks, I was searching for the right word.

And yes viveks86 is awesome :)

slapnuts

One thing that really impressed me for such a tiny touch is the night time racing..the reflectors on the road side poles and road side signs have that "reflective" color illuminating from the car's headlights. This is something i have not seen done properly since Rallisport Challenge 2 night time tracks...that has been the ONLY game that ever did that right..now DriveClub does it but does it even better. For such a tiny detail..it has SUCH A HUGE impact on the atmosphere of night time driving. I am so glad to see these guys implement this into their night time driving.

Still choked I can't pick this up at launch.

Oh well, it looks like the wait may pay off and it is encouraging to see more than 1 car!

Theman2k

I have to admit i wasn't a fan, not even thought of downloading the free PS+ version, but now it seems to have more sense of speed and the graphics is so improved from E3 that i am actually really hyped now.

Good job.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Man that snippet of information only reveals how early this game was. Evolution must've been killing themselves over trying to meet the launch date. I hope they can get weather effects on this sunnavabitch by the time it's released. The 60fps dream may still be alive even! :p

Evo have shown I the past that their games improve a lot in that last push before release. Assuming they have the basics down now but couldn't quite polish for launch, the next few months should show great progress.

orioto

Good Art™
Yeaahhh i mean graphics graphics but i can feel i'll be just blindly driving. I mean how does the game reflect the philosophical implications of driving on in my life, and how does it integrate driving in a cultural and social way. Total lack of ambition guys. David Cage would be ashamed of this game. It doesn't reflect the maturation of the gaming media as a noble and politically conscious art.

doemaaan

While Drive Club looks really nice (it's 1080p/60fps, right?) and fun to play, I never buy racing games. I feel like I'll succumb to boredom before the games' end. Hell, I bought Mario Kart Wii and only won the 50cc tournament. All the go-kart power-ups in the world couldn't save my attention from drifting elsewhere.

I think the only thing to get me back into racing games would be something like Oculus Rift support. Whether Sony supports them or releases their own version of it, I'm not jumping back into the drivers seat until otherwise.

Enlightenment! Yes! That's what this game needs more of thanks, I was searching for the right word.

And yes viveks86 is awesome :)

I really want to say you're being sarcastic here, but something tells me you aren't. (Fake edit: OH, I see what you're saying, you want this game to have identity.)

Regardless, I'm going to reach out to you. Are you saying this game needs something more. Like, for example, Burnout you race at blistering speeds and can take out your opponents, NFS you're trying to outrun the cops, Gran Turismo/Forza are about capturing racing in real-life as accurately as possible, as they are sims. You want Driveclub to have something to set it apart and not just have it be some racing game?

If that's what you meant, then I totally see where you're coming from.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Only reservation with new IQ is if that is from replay mode. Otherwise, looking forward to the new race footage next week

DieH@rd

Banned
Game is shaping up to be something really special, even more if they manage to provide this kind of graphics with that rumored VR headset from Sony.

They promised us a free game mode for us PS+ subscribers, and free game we will still got... Just not at launch. Cant be mad about that.

Rey

I'm really happy that they made the decision to delay the game. The game already looks a lot better from that small clip...I'm starting to get interested again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom