• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Driveclub gameplay

Kssio_Aug

I'm trying to imagine what to expect from DriveClub gameplay, so I just made this on paint to illustrate how am I feeling about it based on videos.

Wljn5tV.png

Ps.: At the red side I would put Forza M. and Gran Turismo, so I'm not implying that the red is a perfect racing simulator. At the yellow side I would put NFS and Burnout for example.

I have a feeling that both, FH2 and DC are a mix between arcade and simulator, but by my experience with FH2 demo and those videos of DC, I have the impression that cars on DC are heavier and it plays more as a Sim. then a arcade game.

I'm not implying also that this is a good or a bad thing, it really depends on what people are looking for. I, myself, prefer something more arcade though. But maybe I change my impressions when actually play it (just some more days!).

Kssio_Aug

Based on videos (and playing the FH2 demo) i'd centre them a bit more but swap sides around.

Yeah, maybe even myself would center them a bit more. It's hard to say it accurately. But would still keep DC on the left and FH2 on the right. Do you think that DC looks more arcadey then FH2? That surprises me a bit.

KoopaTheCasual

Compare your comments from the Driveclub thread:

To the Forza Horizon 2 thread:

You're not a cool dude. Like, at all. Cool dudes would at least be informed enough to know that Driveclub has dynamic lighting and that the gray skies will only be there for as long as that weather system persists. I know, the absence of baked lighting scares you, right?
Downright embarrassing. But console warriors gotta rage on, I guess.

commedieu

Banned
I'm trying to imagine what to expect from DriveClub gameplay, so I just made this on paint to illustrate how am I feeling about it based on videos.

Wljn5tV.png

Ps.: At the red side I would put Forza M. and Gran Turismo, so I'm not implying that the red is a perfect racing simulator. At the yellow side I would put NFS and Burnout for example.

I have a feeling that both, FH2 and DC are a mix between arcade and simulator, but by my experience with FH2 demo and those videos of DC, I have the impression that cars on DC are heavier and it plays more as a Sim. then a arcade game.

I'm not implying also that this is a good or a bad thing, it really depends on what people are looking for. I, myself, prefer something more arcade though. But maybe I change my impressions when actually play it (just some more days!).

What are your qualifications to make this..? Just asking... off the top of my head, its just a sense of speed/bodyroll/suspension that would be the tell. DC's vehicles seem to have weight and friction working against them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah, maybe even myself would center them a bit more. It's hard to say it accurately. But would still keep DC on the left and FH2 on the right. Do you think that DC looks more arcadey then FH2? That surprises me a bit.

One thing to consider is that FH lets you tune and customise your car, and enable/disable assists. I don't think driveclub has that - you learn to drive what you have. So even if the default FH handling is arcadey, that flexibility puts it more towards the sim side IMO.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
One thing to consider is that FH lets you tune and customise your car, and enable/disable assists. I don't think driveclub has that - you learn to drive what you have. So even if the default FH handling is arcadey, that flexibility puts it more towards the sim side IMO.

Eh? Yeah, all they'd have to do is add a plough and it would be a full on sim.

Kssio_Aug

What are your qualifications to make this..? Just asking... off the top of my head, its just a sense of speed/bodyroll/suspension that would be the tell. DC's vehicles seem to have weight and friction working against them.

Both have a nice sense of speed for me. But DC cars seems to be heavier and the curves seems to require more control. Thats really just a very superficial idea. At the same time, the more I watch some videos the more it seems hard to compare, sometimes it feels that the cars on FH2 reacts better to some physics (like when they crash to each other).

Its hard to have an good idea just watching those videos. Im starting to conclude that besides both aim for a mix between arcade and sim, they're very different from one another.

negitoro7

Has anyone noticed and mentioned how exaggerated the paddle shifting gesture is? Sticking so many fingers up almost as if doing an "A-OK" gesture is really distracting. Don't know anyone that shifts like that in real life.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Thread is a mess. Why are Sony first party threads always like this?
They are not the only ones like this. They just get the usual threadshitting attempts that every game gets, but in addition to that it has the platform war multiplier.
Edit: Maybe there is the platform-that-is-ahead bonus on top of the above, but I think overall it's shitty all around and you notice it more about the game you're interested in.

Alebelly

Has anyone noticed and mentioned how exaggerated the paddle shifting gesture is? Sticking so many fingers up almost as if doing an "A-OK" gesture is really distracting. Don't know anyone that shifts like that in real life.

Noticed it, hopefully It's just peripheral when actually playing the game

Thread is a mess. Why are Sony first party threads always like this?

Mix of people claiming the game is the greatest thing ever off of videos and gifs, against people saying it isn't off of the same videos and gifs. Hard to argue the game isn't a graphical accomplishment, but also hard to argue that it is a gameplay one off of videos. Hard thing for warriors to comprehend is that not everything is war worthy.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I really liked that. Made the driver feel human rather than the usual robotic responses. The finger flicking just feels like he's trying to reach the paddles while steering quickly.

I forgot to mention, when I was playing the second time around, the day started out very bright and by the end I had noticed that it got significantly darker. I completely forgot about the awesome day/night cycle.

Kssio_Aug

From what i've played so far, games need to swap places

Have you played DC already?
It is interesting how some believes the contrary. lol I'm so confused about what to expect of this.

Edit: Also, one thing that usually comes to my mind when comparing simulator to arcades, is that arcades feels to me easier to handle. And it seems to me that FH2 seems easier to handle, but I'm not sure of course, since I havent tried DC yet.

I'm hyped though, can't wait to try it myself.

h3ro

I actually really like that. Most of the supercars featured don't have the small flat paddles right where the fingers naturally curve in to grip the wheel as we see on squared off Formula 1 steering wheels, so there should be an animation showing movement of the wrist and fingers to reach those shifter paddles in these cars.

Hoje0308

Banned
Watching these videos and realizing that I've already put at least a couple tracks to memory. I should probably go on a blackout for the next nine days.

Keep 'em coming

SgtCobra

I love how Driveclub threads always attract concern trolls and fanboys like that cool_dude guy who completely derails the thread with a really embarrassing performance.
I'm not that much into racing games but every time I visit one of these threads it's full of ridiculous stuff.

how did the traction feel on a slippery surface?

It felt responsive for the most part really. I didn't notice too much difference between the two maps, traction wise to be honest. I just remember it being quite a weighty feeling game. I played Project Cars after that and the difference is night and day. In favour of DC for me though.

low-G

People are talking a lot about image quality, but even Forza Horizon 2 has pretty fantastic image quality. Not much along the ways of aliasing in either game...

Alebelly

It felt responsive for the most part really. I didn't notice too much difference between the two maps, traction wise to be honest. I just remember it being quite a weighty feeling game. I played Project Cars after that and the difference night and day. In favour of DC for me though.

Thanks for all the insight, looks like a great racing season ahead of us, for everybody!

Hoje0308

Banned
I'm on team #downsampled.

Great, let's establish teams to further fan the flames. I'd hate to think people could state a case for why they have a certain opinion and leave it open to honest discussion without fear of spiteful outbursts. What a horrible thread that would be.

It felt responsive for the most part really. I didn't notice too much difference between the two maps, traction wise to be honest. I just remember it being quite a weighty feeling game. I played Project Cars after that and the difference is night and day. In favour of DC for me though.

From the videos I've seen, P. Cars does look unnaturally light. Makes me fearful of a physics model similar to their NFS games. Can you shed a little more light o the issue? Does P. Cars actually feel like a sim? Thanks for the videos, by the way.

Fonds

Here is what I mean when I say about the time counter:
imxwuh.gif

Isnt it a bit too much? It feels to me like theyre restricting way too much of your freedom on the road.

I think it's good that they add a timer like that.

This game will be played highly competitive by some players. When you're allowing too much freedom on the road, you're allowing non clean laps to be faster than clean laps.

In top league race classes these "shortcuts" are penalized as well.

Gestault

I hope people realize that every joke they make about novelty/gimmick vehicles being added to racing games they make, the more I want those exact vehicles in those games.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Great, let's establish teams to further fan the flames. I'd hate to think people could state a case for why they have a certain opinion and leave it open to honest discussion without fear of spiteful outbursts. What a horrible thread that would be.

Relax. Its all in good fun. There is not much more to bring to the iq discussion, or a much deeper analysis i could do other then to state my opinion. We have to wait and see. If the game has that kind of iq, ill be a happy camper. Till then i stay on team #downsampled :D

Hoje0308

Banned
I think it's good that they add a timer like that.

This game will be played highly competitive by some players. When you're allowing too much freedom on the road, you're allowing non clean laps to be faster than clean laps.

In top league race classes these "shortcuts" are penalized as well.

Ha! Watch an F1 race at Monza or any other track in which curb hopping is beneficial and then try to tell me cutting corners is penalized. I'm mostly joking, but man, those guys take liberties for years on end before the FIA finally steps in to say, "Okay, that may be in violation of the spirit of the rules."

I hope people realize that every joke they make about novelty/gimmick vehicles being added to racing games they make, the more I want those exact vehicles in those games.

I'd pay top dollar for the kit car from Hardcastle and McCormick.

You got some money I can borrow? Gonna need about $3.50.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
People are talking a lot about image quality, but even Forza Horizon 2 has pretty fantastic image quality. Not much along the ways of aliasing in either game...

What has that got to do with this thread? This is a Driveby ... sorry, Driveclub thread.

Top Bottom