• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Driveclub gameplay

Hoje0308

Banned
I'm out, someones avatar is just too creepy, so I gotsta go

Relax, I'm sure Chris Hansen will take care of him. You're safe here.

HansenGif1.gif

One thing to consider is that FH lets you tune and customise your car, and enable/disable assists. I don't think driveclub has that - you learn to drive what you have. So even if the default FH handling is arcadey, that flexibility puts it more towards the sim side IMO.

I didn't know you couldn't tune your cars in DC

Fonds

Ha! Watch an F1 race at Monza or any other track in which curb hopping is beneficial and then try to tell me cutting corners is penalized. I'm mostly joking, but man, those guys take liberties for years on end before the FIA finally steps in to say, "Okay, that may be in violation of the spirit of the rules."

Looking at the issue from a true fanatics point of view you're absolutely right and I concur, but as you stated yourself I'm speaking in a general sense of course.

I think it's good that they add a timer like that.

This game will be played highly competitive by some players. When you're allowing too much freedom on the road, you're allowing non clean laps to be faster than clean laps.

In top league race classes these "shortcuts" are penalized as well.

Yep. It will be nice to theoretically have nice, clean races. But with online play, I am sure there are going to be some griefers who play like it's Burnout. I dont expect most will.

At the end of the day, it will just be nice to have the option to extend or turn off the timer.

Also, I wonder if the game can recognize when one is the aggressor and one is on the receiving end of a collision? I'd hate to lose points for some jerk ramming me off the road if all I'm trying to do is drive

Thanks for all the insight, looks like a great racing season ahead of us, for everybody!

You're very welcome dude. Indeed it is! :)

From the videos I've seen, P. Cars does look unnaturally light. Makes me fearful of a physics model similar to their NFS games. Can you shed a little more light o the issue? Does P. Cars actually feel like a sim? Thanks for the videos, by the way.

Sure no problem! Simply put, yup it felt very much like a sim.

I played it quite briefly but I remember it being very very deliberate. I went into it thinking it was feel similar to DC. I was quite wrong lol. It took me a little longer to get used to the controls. It just felt a lot more sim-like compared to DC (which had a nice mix of heavy/weight and arcadeyness.

You're welcome mate, glad you enjoyed! :)

gtvdave

Drive Club was playable at Playstation Nation in Prague today and I did not miss the chance to get my hands on three tracks that were available. Initially, I was just impressed how the game looks in motion. Lighting, depth-of-field and use of particles in particular is superb. No jaggies too!

Then I realized the controls will take some time to get used to. The cars were a bit tough to handle at high speeds, which is okay with me. What I am worried about is how "bouncy" the collision with the track scenery is. It is supposed to be forgiving, so instead of crashing and stopping entirely you get back on track, but it just felt annoying because how unpredictable it was and the flow of the game suffered a lot from it. However, by the end of my third race I was more careful and minimized this problem by ... well ... driving like a normal person instead of rushing through.

PS: My favorite racing game is Dirt 2 ... so judge my impression based of that driving model.

Hoje0308

Banned

I was hoping someone would GIF that! Thank you!

You're very welcome dude. Indeed it is! :)

Sure no problem! Simply put, yup it felt very much like a sim.

I played it quite briefly but I remember it being very very deliberate. I went into it thinking it was feel similar to DC. I was quite wrong lol. It took me a little longer to get used to the controls. It just felt a lot more sim-like compared to DC (which had a nice mix of heavy/weight and arcadeyness.

You're welcome mate, glad you enjoyed! :)

Thanks again for the information and the videos. I've already purchased DC and P. Cars, so it's good to hear positive remarks. Makes me hopeful about the possibility of a resurgence in the racing genre for the first time in a while. Between DC, P. Cars, both Forza series and Gran Turismo, I really think there's a good chance of that happening. With a bit of luck, the WRC, F1 and Moto GP series will up their game a little bit as well.

Sure why not. :)

Here's the first. The quality isn't great since it was a little dark where I was playing and youtube also has a tendency to lighten videos so yeah. Otherwise enjoy lol.

Even from cam-view, that photorealism really shines! I can't wait to play this on October 7th! I'll be hella drugged up from post-surgery, but man I'll devote so much time to the GAF team!

I'm trying to imagine what to expect from DriveClub gameplay, so I just made this on paint to illustrate how am I feeling about it based on videos.

Wljn5tV.png

Ps.: At the red side I would put Forza M. and Gran Turismo, so I'm not implying that the red is a perfect racing simulator. At the yellow side I would put NFS and Burnout for example.

I have a feeling that both, FH2 and DC are a mix between arcade and simulator, but by my experience with FH2 demo and those videos of DC, I have the impression that cars on DC are heavier and it plays more as a Sim. then a arcade game.

I'm not implying also that this is a good or a bad thing, it really depends on what people are looking for. I, myself, prefer something more arcade though. But maybe I change my impressions when actually play it (just some more days!).

Your playing with all assist off and simulation steering in FH2?

Hoje0308

Banned
So I tweeted Rushy a while ago asking if the new footage was in fact raw gameplay and not downsampled and he chose not to respond. Should we be concerned?

Answer: No. He's probably busy doing things more important than answering my stupid questions and could actually be wondering if I'm some rabid fanboy, judging by some of the shitty comments that get directed at him. Poor Paul, such a nice guy too. ;(

think that DC looks more arcadey then FH2? That surprises me a bit.

Absolutely. The turning in some of the gifs reminds me of Burnout. FH2 on the other hand has a known feeling to it (to me, at least) and can still be tweaked further, I suspect, to be more unforgiving than DC.

Has anyone noticed how the title for this game is grammatically incorrect? 'Driveclub' is not a word. I think seeing that logo on the dashboard/glove compartment of my car might cause me to crash due to me being distracted and slightly furious. How is that a good gameplay decision?

I dunno, I'll probably pick this up for £15 in a bargain bin or something.

Saberus

Has anyone noticed how the title for this game is grammatically incorrect? 'Driveclub' is not a word. I think seeing that logo on the dashboard/glove compartment of my car might cause me to crash due to me being distracted and slightly furious. How is that a good gameplay decision?

Don't be concerned .. sure it will be good.

Alebelly

Of all things video games do to directly mock me intellectually, I feel just fine with Driveclub

But it is a word now that it is a videogame title isn't it?

Hoje0308

Banned

And to think, they had all that extra time to their grammatically incorrect shit together. What's the point of a delay if you're just going to use it to form a #FailClub? Soony, LOL!

SgtCobra

Oh my God, pre order cancelled.

I didn't have it pre ordered anyway

And to think, they had all that extra time to their grammatically incorrect shit together. What's the point of a delay if you're just going to use it to form a #FailClub? Soony, LOL!

Congratulations for being the only person who understood what I was doing.

Gestault

I'm seeing a lot of friendly fire among people shitposting the shitposts. The more you react/pre-empt awful posts talking about awful posts, the more of the discussion will be about those posts.

Hoje0308

Banned
Congratulations for being the only person who understood what I was doing.

That the outrageous and hilarious thing about these threads is that we've all seen much worse comments posted in a completely serious manner.

Ooohh! :eek: Is it this one?

Nope, there's a pending article that links directly to your YouTube videos. I won't say the name of the site, but Abriael is getting a bit defensive against accusations of improper sourcing.

Damn cats! Whats up with cats? Has anyone ever asked that before?

At any given moment, approximately 75% of the internet.

garyBig

Drive Club was playable at Playstation Nation in Prague today and I did not miss the chance to get my hands on three tracks that were available. Initially, I was just impressed how the game looks in motion. Lighting, depth-of-field and use of particles in particular is superb. No jaggies too!

Do you remember in what way depth of field was implemented? Is it used for the horizon (ahem) in the distance or does it dynamically react to stuff or something like that? Or did you mean motion blur in which case sorry for my silly question.

Top Bottom