• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New DriveClub video shows day/night transition

VanWinkle

Or just higher standards?

The way i see it, DC looks about the same as forza. Yes, it has a day/night cycle. But then it's paint shaders aren't as good, and it doesn't have real time internal reflections. So, for me, they're about equal visually. If DC doesn't improve visually from where it's at the last time we saw it. I expect a console that is faster (ps4) to at least be able to match forza's framerate, i'd take better graphics over 60fps. But at the very least, if nothing changes in the visual department, i expect it to match forza performance wise. What excuse is there for it not to? It was getting off light due to being a launch title...but now it's not, surely gamer expectations are allowed to change with the shifting release date?

What is the real time internal reflections?

Or just higher standards?

The way i see it, DC looks about the same as forza. Yes, it has a day/night cycle. But then it's paint shaders aren't as good, and it doesn't have real time internal reflections. So, for me, they're about equal visually. If DC doesn't improve visually from where it's at the last time we saw it. I expect a console that is faster (ps4) to at least be able to match forza's framerate, i'd take better graphics over 60fps. But at the very least, if nothing changes in the visual department, i expect it to match forza performance wise. What excuse is there for it not to? It was getting off light due to being a launch title...but now it's not, surely gamer expectations are allowed to change with the shifting release date?

But Forza has been downgraded since e3. At e3 it looked clean and had high end motion blur. The most recent footage has jaggies....

KORNdoggy

But Forza has been downgraded since e3. At e3 it looked clean and had high end motion blur. The most recent footage has jaggies....

And DC has jaggies....

They're both on equal ground for me. Neither are blowing my socks off. So if nothing can push the visuals further, i feel like DC needs a 60fps framerate. Otherwise we have similar looking games, but one is running as double the framerate on lesser hardware. Does not compute.

Either match the performance of the competition, or better the visuals. It's one or the other for me. If it releases looking how it last looked and still is only 30fps i doubt i'd bother with the game.

@VanWinkle - in forza, under strong sunlight, the cars dash, wheel, and drivers hands are reflected in the windshield. All real time. In DC they cheated it, it's a single frame reflection. No wheel, no driver hands, no speedo dials. Just a static image.

viveks86

As an educated guess I'd think they finished the number of tracks and cars. Probably features for offline single player and online options on bare, from the rumours we've heard.

My guess would be that it was feature complete, but some unexpected issue required them to cut content that was already developed, because they were buggy/unstable/unpolished.

VanWinkle

And DC has jaggies....

They're both on equal ground for me. Neither are blowing my socks off. So if nothing can push the visuals further, i feel like DC needs a 60fps framerate. Otherwise we have similar looking games, but one is running as double the framerate on lesser hardware. Does not compute.

Either match the performance of the competition, or better the visuals. It's one or the other for me. If it releases looking how it last looked and still is only 30fps i doubt i'd bother with the game.

@VanWinkle - in forza, under strong sunlight, the cars dash, wheel, and drivers hands are reflected in the windshield. All real time. In DC they cheated it, it's a single frame reflection. No wheel, no driver hands, no speedo dials. Just a static image.

Ah, okay. Out of curiosity, why did you mention day/night cycle as the only Driveclub advantage instead of the completely real time lighting and shadows (among other big graphical advantages), which, in my opinion is a bigger point to bring up than real-time interior reflections in the windshield? I actually didn't know Driveclub's interior reflections were static, since obviously you can't see the reflection of the steering wheel and drivers hands in the windshield with many cars. I know the drivers side door window didn't have the dials on the speedometer, but the windshield may reflect independently of the door window.

Whoo superb!!! Weather is a Massove a-card and kudos to you that is great.

With your last video showing superb IQ and lighting add in weather (if possible) then this could be a real crowning glory with such dynamic weather looking and brilliant and affecting the handling.. Oh I cannot wait.

Get a video out after Xmas showing this and the gaf will go bonkers!!

Thanks for the super fast reply!!
Steady yourself I am not from Evo!

I was just giving you some previously confirmed answers to your questions :)

CLEEK

Forza 5 looks very clean and has incredible IQ

I don't think you know what IQ means.

From the direct feed screen dumps I've seen, along with all the hands on reports, the obvious issue with Forza 5 is the lack of AA. Resulting in terrible IQ and a fuck load of jaggies everywhere.

frizby

Every video or GIF I've seen tells me the exact opposite of this is true.

Driveclub has global dynamic lighting, including the interior of the cars. The lighting in Forza is static.

Racer1977

Judging from the comment they made on Facebook regarding the frame-rate, I'm thinking it will stay at 30, but then I'm often wrong, so maybe that's a good sign. ;)
And that's fine, but show us some footage that gives a better impression of the improved IQ, lighting, effects, textures etc.

The last day/night video was a big step forward, but this is a highly competitive genre (I don't really need to tell Evolution this). It just seems each video release has had a notable flaw or two, whether it's the AA, lack of opponents, a super short track......whatever.

Would be nice to get one video, that's representative of the final product, that blows people's minds. After that, I wouldn't really care if Evolution went on an information blackout, as we'd know our patience would be rewarded.

As it stands, it's getting a bit weary we (as a collective), are still questioning if the game is going to be any good in terms of the gameplay, graphics, sound and online components.

I really don't want to be one of those people who make demands when guys are working really hard to make a game, but after seeing the graphical quality in Killzone SF & Infamous SS, I don't think we should be lowering expectations for a AAA Sony 1st party title. I'd be disappointed if they don't match the reveal trailer, perhaps even offer more with weather and atmospheric effects like fog, spray from rain etc.

viveks86

Steady yourself I am not from Evo!

I was just giving you some previously confirmed answers to your questions :)

LOL. I was about to correct Darkwaknight, but then I thought "what if mangochutney was indeed from Evo and has been stealth posting his/her excitement for the game all this while?" ;)

viveks86

And that's fine, but show us some footage that gives a better impression of the improved IQ, lighting, effects, textures etc.

The last day/night video was a big step forward, but this is a highly competitive genre (I don't really need to tell Evolution this!). It just seems each video release has had a notable flaw or two, whether that's the AA, lack of opponents, a super short track, or whatever.

Would be nice to get one video, that's representative of the final product, that blows people's minds. After that, I wouldn't really care if Evolution went on an information blackout, as we'd know our patience would be rewarded.

As it stands, it's getting a bit weary we (as a collective), are still questioning if the game is going to be any good in terms of the gameplay, graphics, sound and online components.

I really don't want to be one of those people who make demands when guys are working really hard to make a game, but after seeing the graphical quality in Killzone SF & Infamous SS, I don't think we should be lowering expectations for a AAA Sony 1st party title. I'd be disappointed if they don't match the reveal trailer, perhaps even offer more with weather and atmospheric effects like fog, spray from rain etc.

Here is Rushy's quote. They clearly get what you are trying to say. All we can do now is sit tight and wait for more stuff to be revealed. :)

I'll be chasing up things over the next few days and will try to provide you guys with an update, as I know you're all dying for new media. No promises though of course right now.

Skeff

And DC has jaggies....

That's funny, Forza reflects the HUD on the Car bonnet. Driveclub looks far superior to Forza, less jaggies, much more detailed world, Dynamic lighting and reflections that don't contain the HUD, but even after saying all of that this thread is not for comparisons. Take it to the comparison thread and you'd do well to stop being so disingenuous too.

Socky

Agreed, but...

Personally I'm not particularly questioning if it's going to be any good, more wondering just how good it might be ultimately. That really is the point of a delay though surely - to push a 'good' game towards a state that is 'great'.

Evo, more than most developers, seem to work in a way that means the game only comes together right at the close of development (which admittedly they should have been by now if it was going to hit it's original launch date). If that's true then demonstrating a work in progress that is representative of the final product is not likely to be possible until right at the end of development, unlike other devs who might develop a playable slice first say. It's possible the engine itself is now near-complete and perhaps they could now show a representative sample of the game, but if there's still more to add, maybe they should wait. I suppose it depends if we are willing to accept that what is shown remains incomplete or not.

It's possible they might also show a really impressive video now, then release the game in several months with no visual improvements (if it's now engine-complete) and disappoint because "they've had months longer to make it look prettier"! Who would be a dev eh?

I'd be disappointed if they don't match the reveal trailer, perhaps even offer more with weather and atmospheric effects like fog, spray from rain etc.

Me too. Besides the Deep Down showing, the DC trailer was the most exciting reveal of February for me, and that from a massive inFamous fan.

p3tran

Banned
wb rushy

but

But Forza has been downgraded since e3.

I don't think you know what IQ means.

From the direct feed screen dumps I've seen, along with all the hands on reports, the obvious issue with Forza 5 is the lack of AA. Resulting in terrible IQ and a fuck load of jaggies everywhere.

Driveclub looks far superior to Forza, less jaggies, much more detailed world, Dynamic lighting and reflections that don't contain the HUD...

looks like I mistakenly entered a VS thread

granpa simpson gif

Kane1345

Appreciate the post Rushy. Congratulations to you and I hope you're family is doing well :)

I look forward to updates in the coming months before release. Please give us more information on features and modes as that is the area that we're still very much clueless about and any videos you can do would be much appreciated too ;)

Racer1977

Any Driveclub fan will be left fuming after listening to this week's Beyond podcast.

Greg Miller and Colin Moriarty are completely dismisive of the title and studio, essentially saying it's been left to die by Sony, and the studio is almost certain to be shut down.

Once again, the lack of knowledge about the diving genre came to the fore. On the one hand, Colin was saying this "sim" will be crushed by Gran Turismo, followed by Greg stating the Crew is a far more exciting prospect.

A game won't appeal to all, and I understand these are only personal opinions. But as someone who's passionate about the genre, it annoys me no end how they don't even recognise how contradictory their views are, of what the game actually is.

This game is getting so much shit thrown its way, but so much of it is down to misinformation, or lack of understanding. This tells me Evolution needs to get some head turning footage out there, give the likes of the Beyond crew something they can OOH and AHH at, even if they don't give a crap about the genre.

Unfortunately they're probably reflective of a wider group of people who think the only racing games worth playing are pure sims and pure arcade racers, with nothing in between.

I don't get the apathy towards this game, I really don't. I love racers that are right in the sweet spot.

Vire

I come bearing gifts:

GjKaVp1.png

Any Driveclub fan will be left fuming after listening to this week's Beyond podcast.

Greg Miller and Colin Moriarty are completely dismisive of the title and studio, essentially saying it's been left to die by Sony, and the studio is almost certain to be shut down.

Once again, the lack of knowledge about the diving genre came to the fore. On the one hand, Colin was saying this "sim" will be crushed by Gran Turismo, followed by Greg stating the Crew is a far more exciting prospect.

A game won't appeal to all, and I understand these are only personal opinions. But as someone who's passionate about the genre, it annoys me no end how they don't even recognise how contradictory their views are, of what the game actually is.

This game is getting so much shit thrown its way, but so much of it is down to misinformation, or lack of understanding. This tells me Evolution needs to get some head turning footage out there, give the likes of the Beyond crew something they can OOH and AHH at, even if they don't give a crap about the genre.

game "journalists" - oblivious to games they don't care about. EmptySpace said this once and he'll say this again, "it's better to listen to fellow gaffers or gamers about game impressions."

ICPEE

Anny

Trying to rattle the pigeon cage. Nothing more. Honestly i wouldn't pay any attention to that. Driveclub is a huge deal. As huge a deal as PGR3 when it launched on the 360 back in the day. GT7 is another 2 years off as Yamauchi has stated so i chill and enjoy that comedy podcast.

They also seemingly hate racing games. A few months ago a reader asked them what the most important Playstation franchise was. And Andrew said "Gran Turismo" followed by "That's what's interesting, it's not what we want it to be".

Wow, that IGN podcast sounds harsh, but it's IGN, so...

There is a bit of a point though that I've seen talked about before, and that's Evolution's future after DC ships.

I pray to god it doesn't happen, but I would not put it past Sony to close them up afterwards.

ViciousDS

Banned
Wow, that IGN podcast sounds harsh, but it's IGN, so...

There is a bit of a point though that I've seen talked about before, and that's Evolution's future after DC ships.

I pray to god it doesn't happen, but I would not put it past Sony to close them up afterwards.

Don't understand how driveclub is going to be crushed by the crew when it has been delayed from June to September of next year........did Greg not realize that when Watch Dogs got delayed so did the crew getting bumped out of February to about Q3 lol.

amar212

Driveclub and Crew have nothing in common besides they are both games with cars.

And I am giving my opinion where I say Crew will flop bad - being multiplatform - because that game does not know what it wants to be at all.

Driveclub will do more then fine, especially once PS+ attracts potential drivers, it is a great way to promote and popularize the competitive racer.

Crew is the openrace carnager whose unique features will not even get attantion they deserve becuase of the carnaging, but yeah, I can completely see why it appeals more to ingorant types.

Racer30

You'll see more soon! Yep, we've heard that one before.

Yes, there was this talk of some footage several weeks back....havent heard or seen anything since.

If you dont plan on showing footage, dont say you are! That does not create positive buzz.

Speaking of arcade vs. Sim, I noticed every person has been talking about if the games graphics are good or if they are bad, but no one talks about the horrid physics & collision they demonstrated in all of their the demos.
I wouldn't be surprised if the game will be sent to die by Sony & the studio closed shortly after.

Top Bottom